Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

Fair enough . I must have picked it up wrong. It was quite a detailed report. If three quarters of civil servants want to continue with some form of remote working I imagine there will be significant changes going forward. Interesting that it's mainly POs who are very senior, and the most junior levels that are most inclined to favour a return to the office. I suppose junior levels are more likely to be young, living in shared accommodation and enjoying the social side of work. Can't work out why numbers are so high amongst Principal Officers though.

CO would be the enter grade for most new staff so training learning issues would be at play

At PO level they would want visibility of staff and some are hands on walking the office floor talking to staff .

The Public Sector saying WFH is great is nonsense, some roles with restrictions have little to do and it's a holiday for them. in the survey Service Officers like WFH for example, well if they're not in the building what exactly are they doing at home:rolleyes:

To think that the current version of WFH is going to be the norm is nonsense in my opinion. In private industry the WFH is supported through TWSS and EWSS too.

Only when some sort of normality returns in terms of demand for services and economically in terms of supports can we judge how great WFH really is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,578 ✭✭✭✭kippy

doc22 wrote: »
    CO would be the enter grade for most new staff so training learning issues would be at play

At PO level they would want visibility of staff and some are hands on walking the office floor talking to staff .

The Public Sector saying WFH is great is nonsense, some roles with restrictions have little to do and it's a holiday for them. in the survey Service Officers like WFH for example, well if they're not in the building what exactly are they doing at home:rolleyes:

To think that the current version of WFH is going to be the norm is nonsense in my opinion. In private industry the WFH is supported through TWSS and EWSS too.

Only when some sort of normality returns in terms of demand for services and economically in terms of supports can we judge how great WFH really is.
    TWSS and EWSS are not necessarily WFH supports but employment supports - to help the company keep these people on the payroll......
    WFH has been around decades for certain professions/sectors/companies however the past year has shown those that were skeptical that organisation CAN get the work done with a distributed workforce - even in less than ideal conditions.
    The current version of WFH wont be the norm hopefully but WFH as an option will be there post pandemic for more companies and individuals than was there pre pandemic.
    Hard to see how you wouldn't think that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I'm public sector (hospital) and we have recently been allowed 1 day WFH out of our 4 day week. Suits me grand. Has anyone in the public sector had any luck getting a laptop/desk/chair or anything else for WFH purposes? I had to steal a second monitor from an old computer at home and cobble it up to my desktop, and the desk itself had to be cut up to fit it all in. Bit of a mess, but it worked.

I feel I'll get laughed out of the door if I request anything from management, anyone had any success with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

I'm public sector (hospital) and we have recently been allowed 1 day WFH out of our 4 day week. Suits me grand. Has anyone in the public sector had any luck getting a laptop/desk/chair or anything else for WFH purposes? I had to steal a second monitor from an old computer at home and cobble it up to my desktop, and the desk itself had to be cut up to fit it all in. Bit of a mess, but it worked.

I feel I'll get laughed out of the door if I request anything from management, anyone had any success with that?

Many take their own chairs and monitors from office if required but If you start creating hassle you might be in the 5 days,Honestly I wouldn't ask

Many take their own chairs and monitors from office if required but If you start creating hassle you might be in the 5 days,Honestly I wouldn't ask

Actually I did the opposite, I said I need 2 monitors, headse, keyboard & mouse, webcam, dock for the laptop and got them, but then I'm full-time WFH

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

A bit of balance in posting us preferable rather than casting a slur on a corp of officers.
    In some Departments, service officers rotate through Front of House duties. And I am sure there are other tasks that can be fulfilled long-term under WFH. While lockdowns continue, those deemed essential are in. So I have no doubt that quite a number of service officers, along with other staff connected to Facilities, IT etc are in, where required to be.
    I am sure also, whether practical or not, that some have voiced support for WFH. A survey is only as good as the questions asked.

Incidentally, POs, in my experience, don't walk the floor talking to staff. Many do, however, take great reassurance from their high station as they walk the corridors among the little people. Impostor syndrome must be in pandemic proportions at that grade (oops, slur cast).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Very sweeping statements there. You don't sound as if you know much about the civil service. Service Officers form a tiny part of the Civil Service and many of them are rostered to attend work or are dealing with their depts webmaster from home. Principal Officers do not supervise staff. Also the vast majority of civil servants are working effectively from home. They are no different from the private sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Very sweeping statements there. You don't sound as if you know much about the civil service. Service Officers form a tiny part of the Civil Service and many of them are rostered to attend work or are dealing with their depts webmaster from home. Principal Officers do not supervise staff. Also the vast majority of civil servants are working effectively from home. They are no different from the private sector.

Services like reception and post collection are still happening too.

My department's service officers have been working on site right through the pandemic. They still open and close the buildings, take deliveries, and handle incoming post as there are still some staff in the buildings providing essential services.

POs only have a rudimentary role in supervising staff. That is usually delegated downwards to HEO level.

The survey is no suprise to me, it's roughly in line with my own department's internal survey, where I think it was around 87% wanted to continue WFH at least some of the time.

I'm not surprised either that it seems to be those with 30+ service who aren't in favour of WFH (and I fall into that 30+ year service category myself!). Too stuck in their ways!

I'm civil service, but was allowed take chair and monitors (plural), keyboard etc and was provided with a new laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

My department's service officers have been working on site right through the pandemic. They still open and close the buildings, take deliveries, and handle incoming post as there are still some staff in the buildings providing essential services.

POs only have a rudimentary role in supervising staff. That is usually delegated downwards to HEO level.

The survey is no suprise to me, it's roughly in line with my own department's internal survey, where I think it was around 87% wanted to continue WFH at least some of the time.

I'm not surprised either that it seems to be those with 30+ service who aren't in favour of WFH (and I fall into that 30+ year service category myself!). Too stuck in their ways!

I would have thought that the older people got the more tired they would be of commuting, office politics and petty rules and regulations. I'm surprised they're the cohort more in favour if going back to the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,578 ✭✭✭✭kippy

I would have thought that the older people got the more tired they would be of commuting, office politics and petty rules and regulations. I'm surprised they're the cohort more in favour if going back to the office.

They enjoy the craic a bit more than the young folk.
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

Imagine having a 120 minute commute getting up at 6AM, showered, work clothes on and facing traffic or rolling out of bed at 8.55 in your boxers and switching on your laptop.

Yea a 2 hour commute is common for a lot of people unfornatuly for those outside of Dublin and have no choice but to work there.

Yea a 2 hour commute is common for a lot of people unfornatuly for those outside of Dublin and have no choice but to work there.

Not always much better for those who live in Dublin, especially if located right in the city centre.

I had to allow a minimum of 90 minutes for my 18km commute, and even at that I was often running in the door at the last minute. Going home wasn't much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Not always much better for those who live in Dublin, especially if located right in the city centre.

I had to allow a minimum of 90 minutes for my 18km commute, and even at that I was often running in the door at the last minute. Going home wasn't much better.

There is virtually NOTHING positive to be said about commuting. Expensive, time-consuming, unpleasant, stressful. I'd be genuinely interested if anyone actually enjoys it in any way. Obviously, talking about a substantial commute, not a 5 minute walk.

Of all that has happened with the pandemic, returning to commuting is the one that will be very hard for people to stomach.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,459 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

There is virtually NOTHING positive to be said about commuting. Expensive, time-consuming, unpleasant, stressful. I'd be genuinely interested if anyone actually enjoys it in any way. Obviously, talking about a substantial commute, not a 5 minute walk.

Of all that has happened with the pandemic, returning to commuting is the one that will be very hard for people to stomach.

I do recall reading an article a good while ago that suggested that a 15-20 minute commute was an ideal duration for separation between home & work.

Long enough to allow your brain to shift from home to work mode and vice versa but not long enough to be tiring and/or frustrating.

It is a recommendation that you try and insert "transition time" when WFH - Exercise , walking the dog or whatever to allow you to mentally shift gears.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Ah there's a small positive in that you get separation from work and time to clear the head. Forced steps too is no harm. Far outweighed by the negatives you've listed above though imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

My office is a 20 minute cycle away and I quite enjoy the little trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

hots wrote: »
    Ah there's a small positive in that you get separation from work and time to clear the head. Forced steps too is no harm. Far outweighed by the negatives you've listed above though imo.

You can simulate it by going for a walk, or run before starting work.
    Of course we all skip it. Which you can't do if you actually have to get to work!

Makes a big difference having a dedicated space, and a quiet space. Noteveryone has that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Patsy167 wrote: »
    I'm hoping that the success of the WFH model over the past year will accelerate the move to an overall more flexible work model. Interesting study from Microsoft in Japan - https://edition.cnn.com/2019/11/04/tech/microsoft-japan-workweek-productivity

The worst thing about that trial is that it was a huge success and despite this they still went back to a 5 day week after the trial was over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Some interesting predictions on what might happen with remote working over the next decade and the changes that will bring to society ...

https://twitter.com/chris_herd/status/1375429865281875976

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Presentations on CS survey results

https://youtu.be/Aw0WxSf2s94

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

JTMan wrote: »
    Some interesting predictions on what might happen with remote working over the next decade and the changes that will bring to society ...

I wonder if he spoke to employers or just employees

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Not sure if its being mentioned before but for anyone working from home full time do you feel like your forgotten about compared to your colleagues who are in the office? Thought this article was interesting.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/the-truth-about-working-from-home-it-s-the-first-time-i-ve-ever-burnt-out-1.4519933

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭twiddleypop

I am really starting to dread going back to the office. I'm extremely introverted and hate small tall, dressing for the office and the commute.

I've worked harder since wfh, don't find it difficult to turn off and just love being home although I understand its not for everyone.

I wonder how much notice employers will give before the eventual return? I feel like I'd need 2 months to mentally prepare! That's not to mention people that would need to find childcare or even somewhere to live in Dublin after moving back to the country (as a lot of my colleagues have).

The uncertainty is just killing me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

I am really starting to dread going back to the office. I'm extremely introverted and hate small tall, dressing for the office and the commute.

I've worked harder since wfh, don't find it difficult to turn off and just love being home although I understand its not for everyone.

I wonder how much notice employers will give before the eventual return? I feel like I'd need 2 months to mentally prepare! That's not to mention people that would need to find childcare or even somewhere to live in Dublin after moving back to the country (as a lot of my colleagues have).

The uncertainty is just killing me.

I'd need two months but that would be to work out my notice before I start elsewhere that does allow WFH :) Hoping for a 2 day in (max) model but only time will tell..OH will be three in, two at home. If we were just in two days I'd happily commute, buying in Dublin is not something I want to do at all tbh.

I don't miss the small talk or commute, but sometimes do find myself looking at my old corporate wardrobe with its nice dresses and heels, and feel a pang for that woman I was who is buried deep inside somewhere! :D

zweton wrote: »
    Not sure if its being mentioned before but for anyone working from home full time do you feel like your forgotten about compared to your colleagues who are in the office? Thought this article was interesting.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/the-truth-about-working-from-home-it-s-the-first-time-i-ve-ever-burnt-out-1.4519933

Yeah, its great, I get so much more work done now ;)

But to be serious, some of the people responding to that article sound like exactly the people I am happy to avoid now that I am WFH. Some examples
    “Pre-Covid you could pop over to someone’s desk for a chat to work through something. Nowadays it’s an email chain that stretches over four days because everyone’s inbox is full to bursting. And then everyone comes away with a different understanding of what was agreed so a WebEx call is needed,” says Aoife, who works in insurance.

A call at the beginning would have saved everyone a big waste of time
    “I’ve a worse work life balance than I’ve ever had. I’m always ‘on’, checking emails on days off. My work has invaded my private life,” says Mel, a civil servant.

Why are you checking your emails Mel? This sounds like a problem you are creating for yourself. If you go back to the office how is a change of workplace going to fix this personal behavior?

And then there's this chestnut from the comments
    I miss all the stuff that used to drive me nuts....the meetings that could have been addressed by an email, the commute (160km round trip each day)

Missing a 160km commute.....there are no words

• Registered Users Posts: 32,701 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

That was a great read thanks for posting!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

After one year and two weeks I returned to the office today !!!

Apart from a trip to collect an extra monitor and keyboard in october I haven't been here since.

Lots of space, sitting beside an open window and only 4 others far away from me - It still feels strange though ...

Found a bottle of water under my desk that I bought a year ago .... still sealed, ok to drink yay or nay ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I think a mix is best, 100% WFH would be a bad idea, it's nice to connect with people now and then, we are social beings after all.

I wonder would this guy have the same attitude to kids being schooled 100% from home ?
    I suspect he would ..

Advertisement