Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Theres an idea.

Haven't thought it through, so it might not be feasible, but maybe companies that can't offer WFH for whatever reason, (eg. factory floor workers / machine operators, etc) could look at offering shorter working week options as a compromise.

A reduction in hours would surely mean a reduction in pay? From an employers perspective.

As I said, haven't thought it through, but wasn't it something that was being talked about anyway? (pre-covid)

I remember hearing something about France and a four day working week.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

As I said, haven't thought it through, but wasn't it something that was being talked about anyway? (pre-covid)

I remember hearing something about France and a four day working week.....

It definitely was yeah. I heard rumblings about it pre covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Have any employees of large dublin companies heard much about return to office yet?

working for my current company for about a year. Very happy in job, as happy as any one i've ever had. However, I've been working remotely for that full year and only gotten into the dublin office less than 10 times to meet my boss and a few colleagues.

circumstances have changed and I will be moving back to NI in the next month.

I have not told my Dublin employer yet as we have all been working remotely from our homes in Dublin, and there is no word of returning to the dublin office a few days per week until september at earliest, so I have seen no need to. Plus I've been getting on very well and due for a pay rise next month after a good performance review.

My boss is sound, but I have not said a thing to him. I am putting it on the backburner and working away until an issue arises, hopefully late summer at earliest, but you just never know. I am not sure what advantage bringing it up now has, maybe it lets him know early, as we have not returned to office yet, rather than springing it on them when we're given a months notice.

The commute will be 2.5-3hrs each way per day to Dublin. I have said in my head, the maximum I am willing to do is 2 days per week in the dublin office. I will drive down early on say a tues, stay over somewhere cheap on a tues night out of my own pocket, and drive up home wed evening. Anything more than that and it would not be worth it, wasting upwards of 5 hours per day commuting. I do think they might be ok with it, but i am not sure.

I am a good employee and have caused no bother, work well and respected by my bosses and colleagues thus far. I'm even working tomorrow when we normally never work saturdays :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Given most large companies seem to be leaning towards a hybrid model you might be ok with only having to be in the office 2 days a week.

I've heard some people (depending on their personal circumstances) exploring staying in a budget hotel or the like a couple of times a month if they can get away with only coming to Dublin that often.

Saving on travel and rent/mortgage costs will more than offset a couple of nights stay away per month and saves the long commute. I know if it was me and I was in thsf situation id be doing that.

We havnt discussed returning to the office yet, would say it will be after we are all vaccinated so Q4 I guess at the earliest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

Given most large companies seem to be leaning towards a hybrid model you might be ok with only having to be in the office 2 days a week.

I've heard some people (depending on their personal circumstances) exploring staying in a budget hotel or the like a couple of times a month if they can get away with only coming to Dublin that often.

Saving on travel and rent/mortgage costs will more than offset a couple of nights stay away per month and saves the long commute. I know if it was me and I was in thsf situation id be doing that.

We havnt discussed returning to the office yet, would say it will be after we are all vaccinated so Q4 I guess at the earliest.

Some people will love the one night in hotel, break from the kids and to see the bit on the side

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭2lazytogetup

I used to wfh on Fri precovid. I did most of work Mon to Thurs and took it easy wfh on Fri.

One benefit of wfh was being able to bring kids to after school dancing and gymnastics. I'd sit in car to wait on work laptop using phone hot-spot for Internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

Mr.S wrote: »
    I think people need to get out of their head that WFH = work from anywhere. Within Ireland wouldn't be an issue but outside of the state, your probably only looking at max of 20-30 days being allowed by your employer, if even that.

Agreed that there are tax red lines (in most cases) but what are these red lines? and could they be larger than what you suggest?

Revolut, told the NY Times, that they got tax advise before introducing their 2 months per year work from anywhere perk.

Is there a tolerable percentage, documented anywhere, provided Ireland remains your primary residence for the majority of the year?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Na there are just people on here who love to act like they know everything. That’s what I’ve come to realize with boards. You’d be much better off going onto a forum like askaboutmoney.com or talking to a professional in the area where you get serious answers.

Some very good genuine people on here but for every 1 of them there’s 2 sh*ye hawks that scour through every forum pouring out negativity or ferocity for no reason. Venting frustration from their keyboard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

It really is time they stopped treating the work place like been in secondary school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Qiaonasen

I was cycling to work before Covid 5 days a week. 45 minutes each way. It was good for my health but in general I don't miss the office that much. I have had to start jogging to keep the weight in check but otherwise things are well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Mr.S wrote: »
    From an employee tax perspective, your main thing is to ensure you remain a tax resident of Ireland - so 183 days.

You also need to make sure you are tax compliant in the other country. If their threshold is also 183 days, it's fine. But in some, you may have tax liabilities if you work there for a shorter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Riodej1578

Have any employees of large dublin companies heard much about return to office yet?

working for my current company for about a year. Very happy in job, as happy as any one i've ever had. However, I've been working remotely for that full year and only gotten into the dublin office less than 10 times to meet my boss and a few colleagues.

circumstances have changed and I will be moving back to NI in the next month.

I have not told my Dublin employer yet as we have all been working remotely from our homes in Dublin, and there is no word of returning to the dublin office a few days per week until september at earliest, so I have seen no need to. Plus I've been getting on very well and due for a pay rise next month after a good performance review.

My boss is sound, but I have not said a thing to him. I am putting it on the backburner and working away until an issue arises, hopefully late summer at earliest, but you just never know. I am not sure what advantage bringing it up now has, maybe it lets him know early, as we have not returned to office yet, rather than springing it on them when we're given a months notice.

The commute will be 2.5-3hrs each way per day to Dublin. I have said in my head, the maximum I am willing to do is 2 days per week in the dublin office. I will drive down early on say a tues, stay over somewhere cheap on a tues night out of my own pocket, and drive up home wed evening. Anything more than that and it would not be worth it, wasting upwards of 5 hours per day commuting. I do think they might be ok with it, but i am not sure.

I am a good employee and have caused no bother, work well and respected by my bosses and colleagues thus far. I'm even working tomorrow when we normally never work saturdays :D

Similar, they expect September at the earliest and that will be 2 days a week in the office. I'm in a similar situation also, in that I'll be commuting from quite a distance, 3 hours from Dublin.

I haven't mentioned anything to my manager yet as I am unsure what to do. I can't see myself renting in Dublin if only needed in the office a couple of days a week.

Would it be hard to find a place to stay one night a week or should I ask the manager could I reduce it down to one day a week in the office?

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Riodej1578 wrote: »
    Similar, they expect September at the earliest and that will be 2 days a week in the office. I'm in a similar situation also, in that I'll be commuting from quite a distance, 3 hours from Dublin.

I haven't mentioned anything to my manager yet as I am unsure what to do. I can't see myself renting in Dublin if only needed in the office a couple of days a week.

Would it be hard to find a place to stay one night a week or should I ask the manager could I reduce it down to one day a week in the office?

It's a tricky one. If you are living far away then 2 days a week becomes a problem, you're losing a lot of the benefits of WFH. My feeling is that this hasn't been thought out properly yet. Think it might be difficult getting formal agreement for total WFH though.

Riodej1578 wrote: »

Similar situation here except we are buying. I've had some discussion with boss and it seems they will be open to a hybrid at least, but like that I probably need a stronger commitment before I buy. I definitely don't want to buy in Dublin. I'd be happy with a two day in/ three day WFH setup to be honest. I wouldn't mind the commute two days, I'd see it as a worthwhile tradeoff.

For some reason, there has been little to no dialogue about it in our place..it's almost a game of see who blinks first. I know anecdotally that many people want either a total WFH or a hybrid, so I can't understand why the conversation hasn't even been broached. Unfortunately, I suspect it's because there is a perception that those who wish to WFH are looking for favours/ privilege and some of the more cynical micro managers might look at such a request as an excuse for slacking etc. Although our productivity hasn't suffered, I find there are still those who think that way, and it's perhaps making people afraid to be the ones to bring the subject up.

Is anyone getting exhausted working from home or is it just me. I think staring at the same four walls all day is not good.

I'm all for work from home but it's getting exhausting.

Is anyone getting exhausted working from home or is it just me. I think staring at the same four walls all day is not good.

I find I have to make an effort to get away from the desk and out for a walk etc. Or make a cup of tea and step away for ten minutes. Time does have a tendency to slide after a while :D

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Antares35 wrote: »
    Similar situation here except we are buying. I've had some discussion with boss and it seems they will be open to a hybrid at least, but like that I probably need a stronger commitment before I buy. I definitely don't want to buy in Dublin. I'd be happy with a two day in/ three day WFH setup to be honest. I wouldn't mind the commute two days, I'd see it as a worthwhile tradeoff.

For some reason, there has been little to no dialogue about it in our place..it's almost a game of see who blinks first. I know anecdotally that many people want either a total WFH or a hybrid, so I can't understand why the conversation hasn't even been broached. Unfortunately, I suspect it's because there is a perception that those who wish to WFH are looking for favours/ privilege and some of the more cynical micro managers might look at such a request as an excuse for slacking etc. Although our productivity hasn't suffered, I find there are still those who think that way, and it's perhaps making people afraid to be the ones to bring the subject up.

Definitely a game of chicken. If you allow total or almost total WFH for one, do you have to offer it for all? Is everyone going to up sticks and go off to Portugal or Australia ... or Connemara? Ultimately, I think, the company will have to decide. Leaving it up to individuals won't work because you'll end up with an office full of people who want to be there and empty of those who don't, with no regard to what a business absolutely needs.

A lot of companies will take the path of least resistance. That is, everyone in, no exceptions. There will be those who claim it's a line in the sand and will threaten to leave but will they?

What you need is some form of collective bargaining. A trade union, if you will.

Definitely a game of chicken. If you allow total or almost total WFH for one, do you have to offer it for all? Is everyone going to up sticks and go off to Portugal or Australia ... or Connemara? Ultimately, I think, the company will have to decide. Leaving it up to individuals won't work because you'll end up with an office full of people who want to be there and empty of those who don't, with no regard to what a business absolutely needs.

A lot of companies will take the path of least resistance. That is, everyone in, no exceptions. There will be those who claim it's a line in the sand and will threaten to leave but will they?

What you need is some form of collective bargaining. A trade union, if you will.

I've already had a quick look to see what kind of roles are available in the area we wish to buy. I've pretty much decided if they don't offer me the flexibility I want, I'll go elsewhere (reluctantly, because I really like my job!). Guess I just need to have the conversation. Whether someone brings it up now or waits, the outcome will be the same I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

WFH during lockdown is different, then under normal times, when you can get out and do stuff.

Sure you can go on walks etc, but most activities are gone for now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I posted about this in the Jobs forum, in case anyone missed it there is currently a public consultation on the Right to Request Remote Work.

https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/1aaac-public-consultation-on-the-introduction-of-a-right-to-request-remote-work/

Submissions to be in by the 7th May.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

BrianD3 wrote: »
    I posted about this in the Jobs forum, in case anyone missed it there is currently a public consultation on the Right to Request Remote Work.

https://www.gov.ie/en/consultation/1aaac-public-consultation-on-the-introduction-of-a-right-to-request-remote-work/

Submissions to be in by the 7th May.

What is the point in this? Surely everyone has the right to request anything from the employer, and the employer has the right to refuse.
    It seems like a pointless waste of money.

What is the point in this? Surely everyone has the right to request anything from the employer, and the employer has the right to refuse.
    It seems like a pointless waste of money.

If you consider a statutory framework around same to be pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

It's a tricky one. If you are living far away then 2 days a week becomes a problem, you're losing a lot of the benefits of WFH. My feeling is that this hasn't been thought out properly yet. Think it might be difficult getting formal agreement for total WFH though.

Cheaper than rent and easier might be to try and work say Mon & Tue in the office, with a hotel stay on the Monday night.

Big fryup Tuesday morning, into work, then drive home.

If you consider a statutory framework around same to be pointless.

Feel free to explain it.

Feel free to explain it.

Feel free to follow the link yourself and see what's involved before you dismiss it.

There will be those who claim it's a line in the sand and will threaten to leave but will they?

Without a doubt, sure there will be a few who won't but many will

What some don't seem to understand is folks leave jobs for a whole hell of a lot less.

Think of all of the benefits for the employee in the WFH context. These will be offered for many roles in many companies going forward.

Its not hard to move employers when you consider that if you are WFH little actually changes for you

Feel free to follow the link yourself and see what's involved before you dismiss it.

I did, I see red tape.

wes wrote: »
    WFH during lockdown is different, then under normal times, when you can get out and do stuff.

Sure you can go on walks etc, but most activities are gone for now.

Yea thats it, just gone lazy with nothing to do after work.

Cant wait for everything to open back up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭zebastein

I was looking for a job recently so got to talk with a good number of companies.

I can classify the companies in 2 types:
    - The ones that have decided in 2020 that the Covid was a game changer, that they needed a plan and try to get some benefits from the situation. These companies decided early that post covid they will have an hybrid model, and they already decided to reduce cost by reducing their office space. They are proud of their WFH model and promote this flexibility when you interview for them.

- The companies that wait. It seems to me that these companies just hope that nobody will request anything formally, that after summer they will bring people back in the office in an hybrid model until people get comfortable and that eventually they will request everyone to come back to work (or let some of the managers request it to their direct reports). People will have to comply because WFH has never been written in the company policy.
    I just can't see any other reason why they would wait, it is not the government or any external factor that will give them a guideline or that prevents them to decide right now. They know their business needs, they know how WFH has impacted they business or not, so they can decide.
    These companies will be very unfair because existing employees will get nothing if they have an old-school manager that wants people to be in the office, and in the meantime these companies have hired people virtually and these people have negotiated to work from home. I know a company that cannot tell if existing employees will be able to WFH "because it depends on the business needs" but that just hired people who live at 200/300km from the office, and these people will never go to the office full time. Pre-covid this company rejected requests to WFH because people have to be able to answer the phone (landlines), but when covid hit they changed to VoIP in a couple of days. There is always a blocker when you are happy to be blocked

Advertisement