Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Riodej1578

It's a tricky one. If you are living far away then 2 days a week becomes a problem, you're losing a lot of the benefits of WFH. My feeling is that this hasn't been thought out properly yet. Think it might be difficult getting formal agreement for total WFH though.

Tbf to the company I am working with it, it does seem to be discussed quite a bit and it will be in place to go 3 days from home. But it is the dilemma, commuting for 2 days that distance is still quite an obstacle, particularly when you look at costs in Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

If you are only working 1 or 2 days in the office, there will be no point in getting a annual ticket, or annual taxsaver parking. Opens up lots of different ways of doing things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Patsy167

beauf wrote: »
    If you are only working 1 or 2 days in the office, there will be no point in getting a annual ticket, or annual taxsaver parking. Opens up lots of different ways of doing things.

They have implemented something similar in London to get around this issue - Hopefully we will follow their example - "Ministers and rail chiefs are finalising a new system of flexible season tickets designed to entice commuters back to city centres as the shift to hybrid working takes off."

https://www.cityam.com/rail-firms-launch-flexible-season-tickets-to-lure-commuters-back-to-city-centres/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,914 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

That sounds too innovative for Dublin.

Riodej1578 wrote: »
    Tbf to the company I am working with it, it does seem to be discussed quite a bit and it will be in place to go 3 days from home. But it is the dilemma, commuting for 2 days that distance is still quite an obstacle, particularly when you look at costs in Dublin.

I have to be honest, everything I've seen about hybrid options makes me think its the worst of all options for everyone concerned and the above posts support that.

I can see some going along with hybrid, but packing it in after a while

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,171 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I have been talking to recruiters lately and they are saying that companies that do not offer at least a hybrid WFH contract are at a huge disadvantage and will not attract top talent. Basically very few people will accept roles that will be 5 days a week in the office when Covid ends. 100% remote working positions are getting more and more plentiful too.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I have been talking to recruiters lately and they are saying that companies that do not offer at least a hybrid WFH contract are at a huge disadvantage and will not attract top talent. Basically very few people will accept roles that will be 5 days a week in the office when Covid ends.

This works out great for all employees. For people who want to WFH a few days a week, there is a better chance employers will offer it because they have to get/keep staff. For people who want to work in the office full time, they are in a better position to use that for more money/benefits.

I've started looking at other roles to see whats out there in terms of WFH options and the list seems to be growing.

Not looking to move yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on it and yeah, 100% WFH will be a requirement if something particularly appealing comes along. I've no intention of ever working in an office again for the rest of my career

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I have been talking to recruiters lately and they are saying that companies that do not offer at least a hybrid WFH contract are at a huge disadvantage and will not attract top talent. Basically very few people will accept roles that will be 5 days a week in the office when Covid ends. 100% remote working positions are getting more and more plentiful too.
    It's difficult to look for a job at the moment because most companies haven't settled on what their post-Covid working arrangements will be. Companies which can confidently say what they are doing are at an advantage right now.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

I've started looking at other roles to see whats out there in terms of WFH options and the list seems to be growing.

Not looking to move yet, but I'll be keeping an eye on it and yeah, 100% WFH will be a requirement if something particularly appealing comes along. I've no intention of ever working in an office again for the rest of my career

Can I ask your age and sector?

I agree 9-5 in the office 5 days a week is gone but expecting 100% WFH for the rest of your career is some expectation.bi just can't imagine how you can climb corporate ladder without ever being in the office (assuming you want too).

• Advertisement

I agree 9-5 in the office 5 days a week is gone but expecting 100% WFH for the rest of your career is some expectation.bi just can't imagine how you can climb corporate ladder without ever being in the office (assuming you want too).

I can literally do my job from anywhere for anywhere once I have a decent enough connection. I connect to data sources through VPN's, complete analysis/design tools for end users, support projects etc etc.

Literally nothing in my role requires me to set foot inside an office

As for the corporate ladder, I gave up on that nonsense many years ago and instead took a mindset that I wanted to get to a point where I could make enough to retire comfortably on a decent pension, save, life well, have some nice things but not kill myself working crazy hours or chasing promotions.

A few months into covid I realised I no longer needed to move any higher if I remained as WFH. My costs are low and my salary high enough that I don't worry about money. I'm not rich, but I don't worry, if that makes sense.

There's a lot more to life than climbing a ladder. If they want to promote me, great, if not, I'll tip along and live life to the fullest outside of office hours while working hard during office hours.

Now, with all of that said, I have known people in other dept's who have been WFH for well over a decade as they were taken on through acquisitions, retained their positions but saw their facilities close down. They stayed living wherever and just started doing WFH. I've known these people over the course of their careers and many have progressed to very high levels both inside my current company and others if they left, all while continuing to be WFH for most of them. Not all of them, but a lot

It is there as an option if you are in the right role and at the right point in your career.

I have to be honest, everything I've seen about hybrid options makes me think its the worst of all options for everyone concerned and the above posts support that.

I did a few times in the past like 10yrs or more ago and it was my preferred way of working. But everyone is different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭WhiteMemento9

It sounds great in theory with lots of people thinking they would prefer some sort of hybrid approach but when push comes to shove very few people actually end up availing of it in a meaningful way and it becomes almost completely remote working unless people have mandated days to be in which generally isn't what staff want in WFH

You usually have a hot desk quota where people can book days to be in the office if they want to come in on a particular day. It ends up worse for the company as they are maintaining office space which is very underutilized.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

It sounds great in theory with lots of people thinking they would prefer some sort of hybrid approach but when push comes to shove very few people actually end up availing of it in a meaningful way and it becomes almost completely remote working unless people have mandated days to be in which generally isn't what staff want in WFH

You usually have a hot desk quota where people can book days to be in the office if they want to come in on a particular day. It ends up worse for the company as they are maintaining office space which is very underutilized.

True. I'd like a hybrid but like that I wouldn't want set days for the sake of it, it seems so arbitrary..I'd prefer to be able to say ok we've Board meeting this day so let's do that in site, or there's a project underway where we need cross team collaboration so liaise with others and see what day/ days we can arrange to be in together because it's easier to put heads together around a table for a few hours than faff around with Zoom and dodgy internet :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Batattackrat

This whole corporate ladder thing annoys me. You find what level your happy with.

I'm not in Dublin and in a county where i grew up and getting 43K a year. I'm way to qualified for my current role and find it extremely easy and stress free. I did the Dublin ****e for years and packed it in.

Mortgages in my area are 160K and I have 2K to play around with each month for myself.

I'm not loaded but extremely comfortable.

Antares35 wrote: »
    True. I'd like a hybrid but like that I wouldn't want set days for the sake of it, it seems so ...

Most people work to an agreed schedule. No?

Most people work to an agreed schedule. No?

Yes.

This whole corporate ladder thing annoys me. You find what level your happy with.

I'm not in Dublin and in a county where i grew up and getting 43K a year. I'm way to qualified for my current role and find it extremely easy and stress free. I did the Dublin ****e for years and packed it in.

Mortgages in my area are 160K and I have 2K to play around with each month for myself.

I'm not loaded but extremely comfortable.

I've been looking at positions outside Dublin and in particular where we have seen several houses we like. I'm seems that I'm looking at about an 8k pay cut or thereabouts for what appears to be a roughly equivalent role. If it comes to it, I'll take it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

The company I work for has now announced their post-covid hybrid arrangements.

One must spent "at least" 50% of their time in the office. Rule likely to apply from September.

This caused war. The vast majority of people, some who have settled outside Dublin, wanted fully remote or 1 day a week or max 2 days a week. Not 50/50.

Employers need to consider what employees want before introducing their hybrid policy. If this experience is anything to go by, most people want more remote time than office time.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

it's easier to put heads together around a table for a few hours than faff around with Zoom and dodgy internet :D

Are you saying that there are some tasks which aren't as easily done remotely?

• Advertisement

Szero wrote: »

One must spent "at least" 50% of their time in the office. Rule likely to apply from September.

This caused war. The vast majority of people, some who have settled outside Dublin, wanted fully remote or 1 day a week or max 2 days a week. Not 50/50.

Employers need to consider what employees want before introducing their hybrid policy. If this experience is anything to go by, most people want more remote time than office time.

Was there any consultation? We've been taking part in surveys but nothing committed to. OHs company have committed to 60:40 hybrid which isn't ideal but at least people know where they stand and can plan accordingly.

Are you saying that there are some tasks which aren't as easily done remotely?

Is that not obvious from my post?

Depending on the industry. Good luck to them keeping staff. Companies are in for a big shock if they think they can make their own policies and people are just going to fall in line. The market ultimately decides what companies will need to offer. Many companies are positioning themselves to take advantage of this and hover up good staff from companies who are slow to offer what people want in post-pandemic working.

I think it's unlikely that people will resign en-mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Depending on the industry. Good luck to them keeping staff. Companies are in for a big shock if they think they can make their own policies and people are just going to fall in line. The market ultimately decides what companies will need to offer. Many companies are positioning themselves to take advantage of this and hover up good staff from companies who are slow to offer what people want in post-pandemic working.

I think some staff might be in for a rather big shock if they think its going to be an employee's job market in the next few years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Could we ask what industry/nature of the work is?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

Was there any consultation?

None. Directive from HQ.
    Patsy167 wrote: »
    Could we ask what industry/nature of the work is?

Finance. Mostly not client facing.

I think it's unlikely that people will resign en-mass.

No, but they will just find another company. I know people who have asked for assurances regarding WFH which haven't been given and they have just found another company more than willing. It only takes a few of your best staff to start moving for these reasons for companies to start having a rethink.

This is besides which I think the majority of companies are rethinking things anyway. If a job can be done remotely then why not let people do it? It has a host of benefits for the company along with now being a separator in the market for them to attract talent while other companies drop the ball.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

AdamD wrote: »
    I think some staff might be in for a rather big shock if they think its going to be an employee's job market in the next few years

100%

I'm not being funny but since when did the employee dictate the rules of working with their employer? The sense of entitlement by some is staggering.

Sure this might work in some sectors but it will be the exception not the rule. People should remember that if their roles are supposedly so flexible what's to stop someone in a cheaper location abroad doing it that'd gite jobs leaving Ireland.

Be careful what you wish for.

Its going to be an employers market for the next few years in a lot of sectors too.

• Advertisement

There is no sense of entitlement. I stated many times that the market will dictate what happens in each industry. In many cases where a job can be done fully remotely, it is becoming the preferred option for the employer.

I get the feeling that many people commenting ITT aren't in jobs that can be done fully remotely so have little insight into how the landscape has changed in these sectors. It is the companies offering the option that is driving the change.

Advertisement