Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,970 ✭✭✭Christy42

BrianD3 wrote: »

Interesting. I personally expected the social issues from wfh to disappear pretty quick once lock down ends and I see people in a social rather than work setting. I do think there are some benefits to the office so will most likely end up on a hybrid approach that focuses on wfh.

It is easier to be more alert without a commute, not soaked from rain or whatever as well as to be less annoyed at overtime since you aren't missing a bus or whatever.

The hybrid approach would cut some of the Dublin traffic at least but probably not help the housing issue. Though a long commute is probably more palatable once or twice a week/month for those who wish to live further out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

limnam wrote: »
    Yeah but what about GPDR!!! ;)

You’re not helping your point by undermining that people can have concerns about WFH just because you enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Is it all over? My place talking about having us back in the office in June. Some back in office already. Was hoping to get the summer out of it.

hurikane wrote: »
    Is it all over? My place talking about having us back in the office in June. Some back in office already. Was hoping to get the summer out of it.

It will depend on where you work. Certainly some will be against because that isn't how things were done when they started up. A few others will be against it because it goes against their culture of never letting employees leave the building (the ones with too many in house games rooms...).

Many are legitimately impractical to have wfh but I presume they are either back or temporarily closed.

Many places will have increased wfh. Especially any areas that already allowed some wfh. I know at least one person who negotiated once or twice a month due to leaving the County to allow a partner to get a new job.

Each company will be different in terms of what can happen, staff vs employer power and overall competency at all grades.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

doc22 wrote: »
    Funny I suspect a lot of people haven't quite made the mental jump to realising who is paying their wages and when the call to come back to the office of post-pandemic it won't be a temporary blip.

Nope a completely old way of looking at things.

A company are paying me for my time and the qualities I am bringing to them in the workplace. There are always at least 50 jobs in my area advertised online.

If they don't value me or act the bollox with expecting me to take calls outside out of work without been compensated, micro managers and not introducing at least a hybrid model of working from home I will find a new job within a month or less.

The way I view it they are lucky to have me. Some companies if you give them an inch they will take a mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'd be surprised if the government lifted their WFH guidance by then. I'd personally be very unhappy to be unnecessarily back in an office environment if I wasn't vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

Christy42 wrote: »
    It will depend on where you work. Certainly some will be against because that isn't how things were done when they started up. A few others will be against it because it goes against their culture of never letting employees leave the building (the ones with too many in house games rooms...).

Many are legitimately impractical to have wfh but I presume they are either back or temporarily closed.

Many places will have increased wfh. Especially any areas that already allowed some wfh. I know at least one person who negotiated once or twice a month due to leaving the County to allow a partner to get a new job.

Each company will be different in terms of what can happen, staff vs employer power and overall competency at all grades.

Boss man keeps trotting out that they are expecting to return to pre covid working and that there’s no work from home policy. As it is currently, we haven’t space for everyone in the office. Don’t know what they’ll do to be honest.

Boss man keeps trotting out that they are expecting to return to pre covid working and that there’s no work from home policy. As it is currently, we haven’t space for everyone in the office. Don’t know what they’ll do to be honest.

Did they hire a lot or get rid of buildings?

Obviously I don't know your company but if they want everyone there and don't have space for them then this seems to fit into the management competency part.

I’m truly sorry for people who work for managers like this. I had no idea that there were so many companies out there that did no flexible working whatsoever. I genuinely thought that was the standard pre-pandemic and that the pandemic would give it a further shove. I’ve been in the office 3 days a week, WFH for 2, for nearly a decade and suppose that’s given me a false impression of the reality for most, and never appreciated the number of bad managers and bad HR procedures that resist flexible working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Greenlights16

Construction by any chance? Full of pr*cks and dinosaurs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

J Mysterio wrote: »
    This is just total bollocks. I spent too much time in an office environment where the managers only communicated through Skype and email, even though we were in the same room. They were horrified when approached to actually talk about something. Did we need to be in the office? No.

It's been virtually no change managing people or projects for me/us, and that should be pretty similar for anyone managing a team that weren't all sitting in the same room in the 'old world'. Only true negative we're finding is when things aren't going so well, there's less of the casual chat/lunch/coffee to diffuse tensions with people you work with, so you have to make more of a conscious effort there I would say.

• Site Banned Posts: 58 ✭✭mikeorange

Once they get rid of 2m rule its over

Offices will fill up again

mikeorange wrote: »
    Once they get rid of 2m rule its over

Offices will fill up again

The elastic band will snap back to pre-covid times- all this talk of hubs and flexible working will cease for many- I experienced WFH before this all started so I’ll have a few days still at home every week which is great but I fear many will be forced back full time - makes no sense whatsoever

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭nearzero

Same - whole plan was laid out for returning to work for everyone in the office.

Then the managers spoke with IBEC and they said they were mad doing it so early so they've 'pushed it out' until July... not exactly pushing it out now really is it?? :rolleyes:

They are doing a phased return for everyone so as they put 'they dont have to deal with hundreds of WFH requests.' Charming.

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Our crowd did a survey. 1/3 full time back on the office, 1/3 part time, 1/3 full WFH - more or less. So the compromise is everyone comes in 2-3 days a week.
    Its like doing a survey of shoe sizes and saying everyone has to wear the average show: 8.333!

You can see how this is going, the pull to get people back in the office full time will be strong.

We are going to remain remote with an option to use the office a couple of days a week. Eventually downsizing office to take this into account. Most people seem happy with the outcome.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

The smart business, will use this opportunity, to down size office space (and save a lot of money), and head hunt the best people from other businesses who want to work from home.

I think it will accelerate things, but not as much as some people may have hoped.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

"Those who chose to work from home were the highest performing employees at CTrip. Their productivity rate increased by over 20%. Lower performing employees preferred to work in the office."

I think this is the interesting part, and would suggest it permeates all the way up the chain. Useless employees, incompetent managers, etc all want to be back in to complain to everyone how they are so brilliant and busy, while the real employees are working away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Samsonsmasher

Why the hell would anyone want to work from for?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Bot1

hmmm wrote: »
    I'd be surprised if the government lifted their WFH guidance by then. I'd personally be very unhappy to be unnecessarily back in an office environment if I wasn't vaccinated.

It would seem an unnecessary risk to change this restriction before we head back into winter.

So far NEPHET have been very risk-averse.

I'd say it'll be WFH if you can, until next year sometime.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭Bot1

Mr.S wrote: »
    Our office re-opens first week of June for those that want to go back on-site. 50% occupancy only and you need to pre-book your seat (we usually hot-desk).

The 'first week back' was open this morning and sold out in minutes :pac:

I'd imagine it will quiet down after the first few weeks and we'll eventually go back to normal with a usual split between WFH and office.

In our place anyway it seems like people are happy the office is reopening and there is zero pressure to go on-site if you don't want to, so everyone wins.

A lot of my colleagues cannot wait to get back into the office.

Many more want to WFH full-time.

A majority want a blended approach.

The current policy is that everyone is back in the office once NEPHET say it's good to go - crazy really!

ELM327 wrote: »
    "Those who chose to work from home were the highest performing employees at CTrip. Their productivity rate increased by over 20%. Lower performing employees preferred to work in the office."

I think this is the interesting part, and would suggest it permeates all the way up the chain. Useless employees, incompetent managers, etc all want to be back in to complain to everyone how they are so brilliant and busy, while the real employees are working away.
    Working for a shít manager is a sure-fire way to become a lower performer!
    This small group would really benefit from a different manager to get around the performance issue. Then they may have the confidence to work well, either in the office, WFH or hybrid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Mr.S wrote: »
    Our office re-opens first week of June for those that want to go back on-site. 50% occupancy only and you need to pre-book your seat (we usually hot-desk).

The 'first week back' was open this morning and sold out in minutes :pac:

I'd imagine it will quiet down after the first few weeks and we'll eventually go back to normal with a usual split between WFH and office.

In our place anyway it seems like people are happy the office is reopening and there is zero pressure to go on-site if you don't want to, so everyone wins.

there will definitely be a feeling of "back to normal" for some too, I'm far more likely to enjoy a few days in the office when it opens compared to 6 months later when I remember what the commute and office is actually like :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Our crowd did a survey. 1/3 full time back on the office, 1/3 part time, 1/3 full WFH - more or less. So the compromise is everyone comes in 2-3 days a week. Its like doing a survey of shoe sizes and saying everyone has to wear the average show: 8.333!

This sort of thing drives me nuts.

How is going against the majority a compromise. If one third want to be in the office full time, let them. If one third want to work from home, let them too.

Giving one group out of three what they want is not compromising.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

My company hasn't decided on a policy yet but my own plan is that as soon as I can I will go back to the office full time. WFH has not worked out for me, and I hope to never be forced into it again.

If my company decides on a hybrid approach, then I plan to find a new employer, simple as. I can't see it working with some staff remote and some in the office. I guess that is what will happen with everyone, companies will migrate either one way or the other, employees will choose who they wish to work for.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,375 ✭✭✭BrianD3

ELM327 wrote: »

I wasn't sure from that article whether the high performers were that way before and/or during WFH. If before, it is very telling and tallies with what I've been hearing. Individuals (at all levels of seniority) who were lazy, disengaged, ineffective and poor communicators before Covid were the same individuals who were vehemently anti WFH

The sort of people for whom work is a "place" that you go to for free biscuits, free heating, to flirt and chat with coworkers and where you feel that your job is to turn up, force your reports to turn up, cover your ass and little else.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

The sort of people for whom work is a "place" that you go to for free biscuits, free heating, to flirt and chat with coworkers and where you feel that your job is to turn up, force your reports to turn up, cover your ass and little else.

And to talk about how busy they are...

Antares35 wrote: »
    And to talk about how busy they are...
    the persion who would spend all day walking around with a clipboard would be all at sea in a WFH situation, no one would chalenge them while waving the clipboard, it looked important.

In a WFH situation, their lack of visibility will leave them very exposed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

the persion who would spend all day walking around with a clipboard would be all at sea in a WFH situation, no one would chalenge them while waving the clipboard, it looked important.

In a WFH situation, their lack of visibility will leave them very exposed.

You mean the fixed assets accountant who is responsible for assurance that company assets haven't been stolen? You may not value their role, but others do.

Advertisement