Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working From Home Megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,067 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

You mean the fixed assets accountant who is responsible for assurance that company assets haven't been stolen? You may not value their role, but others do.

Yet again you outdo yourself for pomposity. It's an astonishing track record you're accumulating. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Pwindedd

My company hasn't decided on a policy yet but my own plan is that as soon as I can I will go back to the office full time. WFH has not worked out for me, and I hope to never be forced into it again.

If my company decides on a hybrid approach, then I plan to find a new employer, simple as. I can't see it working with some staff remote and some in the office. I guess that is what will happen with everyone, companies will migrate either one way or the other, employees will choose who they wish to work for.

I think this is the crux of it. It's going to take time and a lot of job changes for the natural level to be found. There will be victims. People will find jobs in companies whose culture they identify with. Be it WFH or office based or hybrid (anyone ever have a washer-dryer? did both jobs to a substandard degree but it did save space :P)

Personally I don't WANT to work from home. It doesn't suit me, I find it isolating and intrusive into my home life. I enjoy the energy and buzz of working in a team with others and all the other stuff that goes with it. Yes even the free heating and biscuits !;) Liking and enjoying those things doesn't make me lazy or dis-engaged or a dosser or whatever the current insult is thrown at people who enjoy and thrive in the office environment. I'm a hard worker and good at my job.

I'm envious of people working from home who are suited to it - all power to you. I really wish it had suited me better to be honest. I don't want you to have to go back to the office if you don't want to, last thing you want is people around you who are stressed, tired and would rather be at home doing their work.

I also changed organisations during the pandemic - and despite best efforts by all concerned - onboarding to a new role has been very challenging. 10 months into it now and I still feel like the new girl at times. I know I'll be back to some kind of team environment soon and it's one of the few things keeping me sane.

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Psychedelic Hedgehog

I've been working from home two days a week for over a decade now. I loved those days as it allowed me to get my head down and be more productive than I was in the office.

When the pandemic hit, we had a lot of people who were forced to do so for the first time in their lives, and after a small period of upheaval we found that we actually became more productive as a group compared to our output in 2019.

Couple that with the lack of commute etc. and people are all round happier. My manager reckoned that he sees no reason to revert to everyone being in the office full time, and that's supported across the enterprise.

We will go back to 2 days a week in the office, but the direction is that the office is now for collaboration, it's not a place where you do your actual work.

TL;DR - if you can't trust your employees outside of the office environment, then you probably can't trust them full stop.

The genie's out of the bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,938 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Lumen wrote: »
    Yet again you outdo yourself for pomposity. It's an astonishing track record you're accumulating. :D

They have to justify themselves!

Also, I would have a guess as to who on this thread is affected most by the lower performance aspect of the linked article.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Patsy167

Reluctantly losing faith with the whole WFH debate also. Our place has just announced that it will be full reversion to more or less 100% office based.

Disappointing but have to give them credit for being so up-front about it and not trying to cloak it with surveys etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

You mean the fixed assets accountant who is responsible for assurance that company assets haven't been stolen? You may not value their role, but others do.

The fixed assets accountant ! - you are either trolling or actually believe there is such a thing as a fixed asset accountant !

If you are worried about a companies assets been stolen there is a simple cost effective solution - WFH

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

I wish people would stop saying that work from home is about "trust", it is not. It is about what suits different personalities. Power to the people for whom working from home suits, but for me working from home full time except for the dreaded team building days is my idea of hell.

Infoanon wrote: »
    The fixed assets accountant ! - you are either trolling or actually believe there is such a thing as a fixed asset accountant !

If you are worried about a companies assets been stolen there is a simple cost effective solution - WFH
    The last time I came across a fixed assets accountant, they got the standby generator removed as it had not been used for over a year, much to the distress of the data centre staff when there was a power outage!!

I'm sure that most posters understood the role of mr clipboard, but just for the few who don't; this is a person who has worked themselves into a position that they have absolutely nothing to do, so pretend to "work" by walking around with a clipboard.

Patsy167 wrote: »
    Reluctantly losing faith with the whole WFH debate also. Our place has just announced that it will be full reversion to more or less 100% office based.

Disappointing but have to give them credit for being so up-front about it and not trying to cloak it with surveys etc.

Does seem like a lost opportunity though. So much for the 21st century.

Luckily we were flexible working, largely whatever people want to do, well before the pandemic, and long may it continue. I think that there will become a pretty significant divide between the sophisticated companies that have the systems and procedures such that place of work is largely an irrelevance, and those that just want to stay put doing what they are doing in perpetuity

I wish people would stop saying that work from home is about "trust", it is not. It is about what suits different personalities. Power to the people for whom working from home suits, but for me working from home full time except for the dreaded team building days is my idea of hell.

WFH full time is a strawman though. No-one is suggesting that. It is flexible working, to suit people's individual wants and needs, that is the model being discussed by most. That could be 100% the office, 100% at home except when needed, or a mix of the two

• Advertisement

Patsy167 wrote: »

When the jobs market rebounds, it will be interesting to see whether these companies suffer staff retention issues as employees seek jobs that are flexible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Brian CivilEng

Mr.S wrote: »
    Out of interest, why? My last two employers have been hybrid and it works flawlessly. You need to be accommodating, and not get annoyed if there's one person that needs to dial in, but apart from that it's a dream.

If you prefer working on-site, you go on-site 5 days a week! Unless you mean employers making staff WFH even if they don't too?

I would expect there to be an "out of sight, out of mind" thing with remote workers. For example, if I needed a drawing done for instance I'll walk over to the draftsperson who is at their desk with my markup rather than scanning it and emailing to the home worker, then talking them through it via video call.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,764 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

No immediate pressure on us to return where I work, but even when I was in the office all my managers are 100+ miles away. We'll probably have some sort of hybrid arrangement which I would be happy with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭shadyslimshady

Aglomerado wrote: »
    No immediate pressure on us to return where I work, but even when I was in the office all my managers are 100+ miles away. We'll probably have some sort of hybrid arrangement which I would be happy with.

Same as us, we've been told a hybrid model with minimum two days in the office when Covid is over. Employ 11,000. I think we won't be back till school children are vacinated as well. No rush from the company whatsoever. I'm kind of hoping though it's just one day in when it's all over.

Also have brought in flexible time. If we want to do either 8-4, 9-5, 10-6 they will accomadate people as best as possible depending on the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,904 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The last time I came across a fixed assets accountant, they got the standby generator removed as it had not been used for over a year, much to the distress of the data centre staff when there was a power outage!!

Pretty crap data centre staff, if they didn't have a scheduled generator test once a month.

I'm sure that most posters understood the role of mr clipboard, but just for the few who don't; this is a person who has worked themselves into a position that they have absolutely nothing to do, so pretend to "work" by walking around with a clipboard.

Apart from a few corners of the public service, anyone who has absolutely nothing to do will have been let go, long ago. And those who are in that sort of position don't go round drawing attention to themselves.

Just because YOU don't value a role (Compliance Officer, Privacy Officer, Operational Auditor, Fixed Asset manager, whatever) doesn't mean that NO-ONE else does. 99% of the time, if they company is still paying them, then it's because they are doing something either operationally useful or legally required.

I expect that as places get back our new-business-as-usual, there will be some hard, unpleasant questions about certain things related to the Organisation of Working Time Act, and GDPR. If you want to WFH, expect to have your workspace assessed for ergonomic suitability, privacy, security and quality of broadband connection. I actually do hope that those of you who want to WFH can (I don't want to deal with your grumpy selves in the office) - but I believe there will be more challenges than you expect.

The point a few posts back about low performing employees was interpreted by most as employees who are fully experienced but lazy. I'd expect it refers mainly to employees who are still learning the job (recently qualified, recently moved to this role or company) who find it a lot easier to learn from colleagues who are readily available, and also from observing how those employees deal with real-life issues in the workplace, ie learning to ask questions that they didn't even know needed asking.

Pretty crap data centre staff, if they didn't have a scheduled generator test once a month.

Apart from a few corners of the public service, anyone who has absolutely nothing to do will have been let go, long ago. And those who are in that sort of position don't go round drawing attention to themselves.

Just because YOU don't value a role (Compliance Officer, Privacy Officer, Operational Auditor, Fixed Asset manager, whatever) doesn't mean that NO-ONE else does. 99% of the time, if they company is still paying them, then it's because they are doing something either operationally useful or legally required.

I expect that as places get back our new-business-as-usual, there will be some hard, unpleasant questions about certain things related to the Organisation of Working Time Act, and GDPR. If you want to WFH, expect to have your workspace assessed for ergonomic suitability, privacy, security and quality of broadband connection. I actually do hope that those of you who want to WFH can (I don't want to deal with your grumpy selves in the office) - but I believe there will be more challenges than you expect.

The point a few posts back about low performing employees was interpreted by most as employees who are fully experienced but lazy. I'd expect it refers mainly to employees who are still learning the job (recently qualified, recently moved to this role or company) who find it a lot easier to learn from colleagues who are readily available, and also from observing how those employees deal with real-life issues in the workplace, ie learning to ask questions that they didn't even know needed asking.

Right back at ya. Certain employees i would like to never see again. Are you the Karen where you work cause you sure sound like it.

A lot of companies are catering for both WFH and in office. Seems the best way forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,886 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Was one day per week WFH in the health service up until the ransomware attack... now everyone is back in the office. I have a feeling management will not allow WFH again due to "security reasons".

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭doc22

Was one day per week WFH in the health service up until the ransomware attack... now everyone is back in the office. I have a feeling management will not allow WFH again due to "security reasons".

If the hack happened while staff working from home I can imagine "security reasons" will be used across the public sector post pandemic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Right back at ya. Certain employees i would like to never see again. Are you the Karen where you work cause you sure sound like it.

A lot of companies are catering for both WFH and in office. Seems the best way forward.

Amen. Reason we'd be grumpy is if we're dragged back to a five day commute because Karen derives her validation from being seen and unfortunately (as is my experience with the Karen in our place) also heard, a lot, and a lot, and a lot....

doc22 wrote: »
    If the hack happened while staff working from home I can imagine "security reasons" will be used across the public sector post pandemic

I'm not so sure. The PfG contained a target of 20% of the PS doing WFH by 2021, maybe 2022, not sure. It is a specified goal of this govt though

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,170 ✭✭✭limnam

Working Time Act, and GDPR.

HeeHee!

GDPR!

Antares35 wrote: »
    Amen. Reason we'd be grumpy is if we're dragged back to a five day commute because Karen derives her validation from being seen and unfortunately (as is my experience with the Karen in our place) also heard, a lot, and a lot, and a lot....

As if there wasn't enough pro's for WFH.

Been able to literally mute the Karen's is a game changer.

For those who say no one will be forced to WFH - wrong.

Take a read: https://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/117259295

Err, sorry, thats not what that post says. Its basically saying there will be no assigned desks, all will be hot desks and must be booked in advance as there won't be "one for everyone in the audience".

Try again

If there's space for 50% of staff then based on most surveys that'll be enough to cover those who want to go in every day.

Err, sorry, thats not what that post says. Its basically saying there will be no assigned desks, all will be hot desks and must be booked in advance as there won't be "one for everyone in the audience".

Try again

I'll quote the post, so, and bold the relevant bit:
    Employees have to book a desk in advance if they need to come into the office, but your permanent desk is expected to be in your own home.

Yes, that’s the desk they always have access to. That’s just logical, no?

The fact is that no company needs a desk for every employee. The individual who posted that still has access to a desk.....just not their own personalised one

I do feel sorry for the people that bought in Dublin before the pandemic where they could of getting a mansion outside of Dublin for the same price or something better for half the price.

Other than that the company are providing hotdesks, what more do you want?

It amazes me how someone could work in so many companies and not understand the term hot desk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭Infoanon

What is the extra security risk if you are WFH ?

Many are already working remotely be it in the office or WFH !
    If your company uses out of date software ,does not remind users about phishing risk etc etc then you are susceptible to ransomware irrespective of location.

Advertisement