Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

There’s an exemption for large construction projects in the exporting and foreign direct investment sector,

Still no word whether were off or not, an absolute grey area with potential for many loopholes.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Still no word whether were off or not, an absolute grey area with potential for many loopholes.
    Same here we do work for irish water and not back till monday no word yet what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

kerryjack wrote: »
    Same here we do work for irish water and not back till monday no word yet what's going on.

Heard talks of some places getting the workshops classed as manufacturing to keep going.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Haven't seen any new cars yet with 211 reg, are garages closed for car sales?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    Nephew was to have a few wisdom teeth out on Friday so sent for routine covid test. Came back positive. No symptoms whatsoever. We called to them New Years day for an hour(had been in each others bubble for Christmas) No work today.
    Confirmed now you don't need to isolate for the 14 days if the person is asymptomatic.

Looks like I'll be back in charge of homeschooling from Monday anyway !
    I thought that they needed to restrict their movements, not - go to work, use public transport, go to shops, visit anyone/let anyone visit them, keep away from vulnerable people and the elderly, etc.

• Advertisement

People wonder why we're in our third lockdown, a very incompetent Government shoulders a lot of the blame.

https://twitter.com/rtenews/status/1346896852604608515?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

What is it about the Irish that they must be having the craic and a pint? There should be no premises open where a crowd can gather and drink on the premises. Food or no food. Pub in a village in next parish less than 2 miles from me was rammed with some sort of a party before xmas. Now there's over 20 positive cases that are a result of that gathering. Supposed to be over 100 in the parish altogether. Feckin publican should have their licence revoked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

whelan2 wrote: »

Local primary teacher driving a 211 plate here. Shame, won't get to show it off in teacher's carpark till September with unions canvassing.

212 will be the sought after then.

I never heard about the HSE buying ventilators for €14m that now cannot be used because they didn't pass safety checks.
    https://www.thejournal.ie/hse-contract-5303779-Dec2020/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

ruwithme wrote: »
    Local primary teacher driving a 211 plate here. Shame, won't get to show it off in teacher's carpark till September with unions canvassing.

212 will be the sought after then.

Well, that’s a bitter post...

Nothing stopping you becoming a teacher and living the high life of buying a new car.. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Saw my first one today

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Reggie. wrote: »
    Saw my first one today

Like a swallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

There’s an exemption for large construction projects in the exporting and foreign direct investment sector,

And farms, don't forget...

All construction work will continue there..

alps wrote: »
    And farms, don't forget...

All construction work will continue there..
    It doesn't mention farm building/works and I thought it should considering farming is classed as essential.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-list-of-exemptions-from-construction-industry-shut-down-announced-1.4451825
    Edit - I just read an article in the Farmers Journal unfortunately it's subscriber only - basically works on milking parlours, calf sheds and other farm buildings related to animal welfare is allowed to continue.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/milking-parlour-construction-to-continue-594382

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

Base price wrote: »
    It doesn't mention farm building/works and I thought it should considering farming is classed as essential.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/covid-19-list-of-exemptions-from-construction-industry-shut-down-announced-1.4451825

It will.......animal welfare is a great issue to cover off buildings,parlous, farm roadways and so on...

Is it just if the work has started though, no new work to commence

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Haven’t been out amd about much but seen none at alll.

Was driving through nearest town Monday evening and remarked it was only third time I’d seen the Christmas lights on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

9 people got stuck up carrauntoohill mountain yesterday and had to be rescued, like what is wrong with the people, should be large fines for stupid people like this, 5 k fine or there social welfare cut for a 3 months.

9 people got stuck up carrauntoohill mountain yesterday and had to be rescued, like what is wrong with the people, should be large fines for stupid people like this, 5 k fine or there social welfare cut for a 3 months.

Clowns

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A few days ago Wexford and carlow fire brigades had to rescue stranded motorists on Mount Leinster at 8pm in the dark.
    Yesterday cars and a lorry were stuck on the Sally gap in Wicklow.

Now maybe you might forgive the Sally gap. Maybe.
    But Mt Leinster was just eejits wanting a snow fix and not realising the consequences of going up for a drive around.

And back on topic.

• Advertisement

Charge them for the call out. I wouldn't be in favour of charges for all calls as it stops people from calling in a genuine emergency.

Norma Foley coming under fire from all sides. She specifically stated that all stakeholders were involved in the plan to open schools next week for LC students 3 days a week.

ASTI & TUI unions both say they weren’t consulted.

She didn’t pass the idea past NEPHET either it seems.

So, one wonders exactly who she consulted with as “stakeholders”. This type of shoot from the hip stuff just creates problems all over.

Now, it seems many teachers want all the pie for themselves. They want no face to face teaching, no continuous assessment but students to sit a regular LC following two years of seriously disrupted schooling. I don’t think that’s a fair position either.

_Brian wrote: »
    Norma Foley coming under fire from all sides. She specifically stated that all stakeholders were involved in the plan to open schools next week for LC students 3 days a week.

ASTI & TUI unions both say they weren’t consulted.

She didn’t pass the idea past NEPHET either it seems.

So, one wonders exactly who she consulted with as “stakeholders”. This type of shoot from the hip stuff just creates problems all over.

Now, it seems many teachers want all the pie for themselves. They want no face to face teaching, no continuous assessment but students to sit a regular LC following two years of seriously disrupted schooling. I don’t think that’s a fair position either.

Face to face teaching exposes my partner to infection, then our son, then me, then our bubble and so forth. Closing the schools but not really is a journey to nowhere. If schools are safe, then so are pubs, so are construction sites, so are retail shops.

This is a political decision from an incompetent and unpopular government that is foundering. They created NPHET for the same reason the HSE was created to direct ire and blame towards a body that isn't a politician.

The stakeholders are the same every time Govt speaks, people who politically agree with them and people who can be bullied by them into agreeing.

There was a lady from one of the former Yugoslav countries telling her story about being in a civil war and having her education disrupted, short version was it doesn't matter. Many people never sit *dun dun dun* "The State Exams", and do just fine.

People get many chances at education, but only one life, it's not fair to risk peoples lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Its a matter of balance. We know more social contact means more infection, its a scale. You shut most things, which is the decision, leaving LC and special needs open you factor into that balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Interesting looking at the ratio of covid hospitalizations to covid icu patients. Late march to third week of April when hospitalizations peaked, it was at 20% at the end of March and dropped to 16% by third week of April.
    Over the summer that number was all over the place due to low figures but through September to November around 15% plus or minus a few points was more typical, since Christmas it has been between 8.5-9.5%.
    Begs the question why?
    A higher percentage of hospitalizations with covid as opposed to because of covid? Could account for over 30% of hospitalizations at present if it's the case.

Water John wrote: »
    Its a matter of balance. We know more social contact means more infection, its a scale. You shut most things, which is the decision, leaving LC and special needs open you factor into that balance.

Online teaching is the balance. Education is delivered and students and staff are protected. It's a win win decision, what the Gubberment are doing is lose lose, and unsurprising. Where we are now is due to them ignoring public health advice before Christmas, they're repeating this thinking for perceived poitical advantage and an unhealthy attachment to the leaving cert.

Face to face teaching exposes my partner to infection, then our son, then me, then our bubble and so forth. Closing the schools but not really is a journey to nowhere. If schools are safe, then so are pubs, so are construction sites, so are retail shops.

This is a political decision from an incompetent and unpopular government that is foundering. They created NPHET for the same reason the HSE was created to direct ire and blame towards a body that isn't a politician.

The stakeholders are the same every time Govt speaks, people who politically agree with them and people who can be bullied by them into agreeing.

There was a lady from one of the former Yugoslav countries telling her story about being in a civil war and having her education disrupted, short version was it doesn't matter. Many people never sit *dun dun dun* "The State Exams", and do just fine.

People get many chances at education, but only one life, it's not fair to risk peoples lives.

To be clear.
    I’ve no attachment to a normal LC exam system.

I’d be delighted if they came out amd said it was online assessment from now until September

What isn’t right is sub par preparation for a state exam that absolu does affect your life going forward.

Norma was a poor choice as a minister, no experience asa minister at all.

Locally cases are crazy. I dont think it's safe to send kids or teachers to school. Seems they are dammed if they do and dammed if they dont. They really should have had a back up plan in place for the leaving cert students that was agreed by all. Edited to add while online teaching might be the way to go but some people have very poor internet connection

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Timing was all wrong. If cases were kept low and then vaccine rolled out then they could have opened up. Opening everything again at a time when people were gonna mix of all ages and looking to vaccinate after was always gonna be a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    To be clear.
    I’ve no attachment to a normal LC exam system.

I’d be delighted if they came out amd said it was online assessment from now until September

What isn’t right is sub par preparation for a state exam that absolu does affect your life going forward.

Norma was a poor choice as a minister, no experience asa minister at all.

Forget blaming the government, the government pay not just senior but all Civil servants bloody well to run an efficient public service.
    I'm fed up of civil service claiming that performing responsibly is ''above their pay grade''
    Tommy bowe was interviewing a civil servant this morning about the vaccinations and he could not get into them that they weren't moving fast enough........ It seems as long as they get their vaccination f..k everyone else

Advertisement