Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

No gastro pubs open in our little town over Christmas very little cases a town not too far a way had 2 so called gastro pubs open, place is now riddled with covid.unfortunately government should have closed down all pubs and restaurants earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Online teaching is the balance. Education is delivered and students and staff are protected. It's a win win decision, what the Gubberment are doing is lose lose, and unsurprising. Where we are now is due to them ignoring public health advice before Christmas, they're repeating this thinking for perceived poitical advantage and an unhealthy attachment to the leaving cert.

There was plenty of complaints about online teaching, the fact that there was any means that it's not successful. some teachers had a long summer holidays last year, there was no supervision on teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

kerryjack wrote: »
    No gastro pubs open in our little town over Christmas very little cases a town not too far a way had 2 so called gastro pubs open, place is now riddled with covid.unfortunately government should have closed down all pubs and restaurants earlier.

Place not too far from here was supposed to have had 60 people in it on Christmas eve when the guards landed and shut it down. Apparently when it was being cleared another minibus load of people turned up. Supposed to be a lot of cases after coming from it.

My brother in law works in the lab that processes the tests and was found to be an asymptomatic case on stephens day despite both him and the sister being uber careful at all times. (Tested every 3 days). Parents were a close contact of him and luckily had a negative test but are self isolating for another week. Its hard work doing stuff on your own even though were only keeping a few as a hobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

wrangler wrote: »
    There was plenty of complaints about online teaching, the fact that there was any means that it's not successful. some teachers had a long summer holidays last year, there was no supervision on teachers
    There is a huge difference in the effort some teachers put in, from recording classes, and actually correcting work done, to the few that make very little effort at all.

There is a huge difference in the effort some teachers put in, from recording classes, and actually correcting work done, to the few that make very little effort at all.

Ill be the first to say my sons teacher was a disgrace. An a4 page of work sent to us once a day at 9am and no further interaction or correction of that work. My son was trying to do that and i was just after starting a new job remotely. He got so wound up one time he actually had a bit of a meltdown as it was 5pm and he was still working flat out with all the stuff she had sent him. In the end i used to pick and choose what he did and delete the rest. We still have reams of paper in the house here that was never looked at or corrected by anyone.

I know a few people who are teachers and when i asked them they said that the level of work done was usually driven by the principal.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    To be clear.
    I’ve no attachment to a normal LC exam system.

I’d be delighted if they came out amd said it was online assessment from now until September

What isn’t right is sub par preparation for a state exam that absolu does affect your life going forward.

Norma was a poor choice as a minister, no experience asa minister at all.

Norma is a prime example of those who can do, those who cannot go into politics.
    whelan2 wrote: »
    Locally cases are crazy. I dont think it's safe to send kids or teachers to school. Seems they are dammed if they do and dammed if they dont. They really should have had a back up plan in place for the leaving cert students that was agreed by all. Edited to add while online teaching might be the way to go but some people have very poor internet connection

We have poor internet, basically three mobile. The solution is to record classes and make the recording available to students. That's how all of the courses I've done online have worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

Norma is a prime example of those who can do, those who cannot go into politics.

We have poor internet, basically three mobile. The solution is to record classes and make the recording available to students. That's how all of the courses I've done online have worked.

We've moved to 3 mobile here from Imagine. Bought a sim card router and antenna that we put in the attic and we have really good internet now. The 3 signal certainly gets much better if you can get well up off of ground level

alps wrote: »
    We've moved to 3 mobile here from Imagine. Bought a sim card router and antenna that we put in the attic and we have really good internet now. The 3 signal certainly gets much better if you can get well up off of ground level

Biggest issue here is when the tourists come, like during the various locks downs or immediately after their lifting, there were noticeable squeezings of the pipeline as I call it. Our router is in an upstairs window, can't really get it much higher I think, though we do have an attic and you have me wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

alps wrote: »

Or put it on a window sill if you can. I used to have a Vodafone Dongle for work and literally had to let it hang out the window. Download the speed test app onto your phone,switch off your mobile data connection, connect via WiFi to the dongle and position it in different areas of the house and test the speed each time you move it. Window is the best place usually.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Or put it on a window sill if you can. I used to have a Vodafone Dongle for work and literally had to let it hang out the window. Download the speed test app onto your phone,switch off your mobile data connection, connect via WiFi to the dongle and position it in different areas of the house and test the speed each time you move it. Window is the best place usually.

Where did you but the Antenna?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Interesting looking at the ratio of covid hospitalizations to covid icu patients. Late march to third week of April when hospitalizations peaked, it was at 20% at the end of March and dropped to 16% by third week of April.
    Over the summer that number was all over the place due to low figures but through September to November around 15% plus or minus a few points was more typical, since Christmas it has been between 8.5-9.5%.
    Begs the question why?
    A higher percentage of hospitalizations with covid as opposed to because of covid? Could account for over 30% of hospitalizations at present if it's the case.

IWT it's mostly due to staff learning how to manage each patient. The change of treatment where ventilation became only a last resort and if possible keep the patient awake and mostly lying face down. Also finding which treatments work, including an old steroid.

The national broadband rollout will hopefully have everyone covered with good broadband within the next few yrs

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    The national broadband rollout will hopefully have everyone covered with good broadband within the next few yrs

Been hearing that since Pat Rabbitte was the Minister.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Where did you but the Antenna?

Was a 4g dongle, no antenna just a small modem with a USB cable (got a cable to extend the length of the cable) i got an eir 4G modem, one of the bigger powered 4G modems you see now. Vodafone was averaging 3mbits download the eir is averaging 40 mbits per second. Interesting enough the mobile phone i have is Vodafone and the Internet only really works when I step out of the house. My next tech purchase will be a smart TV to go with the broadband to get Netflix :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Water John wrote: »
    IWT it's mostly due to staff learning how to manage each patient. The change of treatment where ventilation became only a last resort and if possible keep the patient awake and mostly lying face down. Also finding which treatments work, including an old steroid.

Somewhere around the 15% mark would appear to be a more typical figure even in the runup to Christmas. Would assume there hasnt really been any changes since then that would lead to such a dramatic drop.
    The projections from nphet also seem to predict 15-20%.

Maybe it will even itself out in the coming days but it is strange that it has persisted as long as it has

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

A few days ago Wexford and carlow fire brigades had to rescue stranded motorists on Mount Leinster at 8pm in the dark.
    Yesterday cars and a lorry were stuck on the Sally gap in Wicklow.

Now maybe you might forgive the Sally gap. Maybe.
    But Mt Leinster was just eejits wanting a snow fix and not realising the consequences of going up for a drive around.

And back on topic.

Local roads closed tkday again due to the same carry on up there.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Local man died of covid before Christmas his wife is now in intensive care with it, his 2 brothers and sister and a good few members of their families have tested positive too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Coronavirus thread.. *cough, cough*... coronavirus..

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Milk recorder just texted. She was here Tuesday. She had a mask on and gloves. She is a close contact to a positive case. Wouldn't have been engaging too much with her in the morning as we are both not morning people. But would have been chatting a bit in the evening. She is isolating now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

greysides wrote: »
    Coronavirus thread.. *cough, cough*... coronavirus..

Jaysus GS
    You may go for a test with that cough ; )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

No word whether were essential or not yet, from my reading were not but theres surely a loophole to keep going. Talks of having a choice to stay or go whether that puts a mark beside youre name or not im not sure.
    More the younger lads more interested in stopping as we dont want to bring home covid, older lads are more concerned about losing money. On the mental health side im not sure whether im better off in or out of work between the commute and everything a standard week is 60hrs maybe more its a lot to be doing this tims of year with no release in the evenings or weekends whereas on tbe PUP i can buy in a few calves and tip away at home and do my own thing in the early mornings and afternoon. It was a pain doing it for all of 2020 without any break from it all and then seeing lads like a cousin of mine with no ambition or drive getting more on the PUP since March than i was getting for working through this pandemic.

Better living everyone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Jaysus GS
    You may go for a test with that cough ; )

Tested twice today in the factory. The conventional test and the Rapid test. Presumably to validate the Rapid test. 30 minute results with the Rapid. I haven't received any results yet but I believe all Rapid tests were clear.

You do the Rapid test yourself. Swab, like a cotton bud, straight up your nose and get the end to do five circles. Then repeat on the other side.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mother of god I was looking at CNN there. The CDC are predicting 77k further deaths over next three weeks 😳

It’s unfathomable that it’s so bad. Trump has blood on his hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Talking to my boss last night and he still doesn't know can we go back to work on monday. We do work for Irish water, He doesn't want to let lads go because he had trouble getting them all back after last lock down, what a mess like every construction is essential to some body I see mr price still opened and all those discount stores flat out, it just seems people are going to stay going on till someone physically tells them to stop.

kerryjack wrote: »
    Talking to my boss last night and he still doesn't know can we go back to work on monday. We do work for Irish water, He doesn't want to let lads go because he had trouble getting them all back after last lock down, what a mess like every construction is essential to some body I see mr price still opened and all those discount stores flat out, it just seems people are going to stay going on till someone physically tells them to stop.

Water work will be essential utilities. I work on the broadband rollout and were essential

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Water work will be essential utilities. I work on the broadband rollout and were essential

Chatted the boss this morning. Was trying to read between the lines of the conversation I had with him but looks like the hegdecutting crews are staying going but hes not too sure about the fencing and digger lads tho

Reggie. wrote: »
    Chatted the boss this morning. Was trying to read between the lines of the conversation I had with him but looks like the hegdecutting crews are staying going but hes not too sure about the fencing and digger lads tho

Are you finished in the other job?

Dr. John Campbell does a sobering analysis in this video. Note that the first part has a specific look at ROI. Seems UK variant is accounting for 25% of new cases here.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toojPNAPsbs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

A limited amount of essential construction work will be allowed on farms under level 5. It must be animal welfare related such as milking parlours and calf sheds.

• Advertisement

Speaking of variants, I read vaccines may not be effective against the South African variant, don't quote me but something along the lines of a mutation in an important protein.

T'ain't over yet folks.

Advertisement