Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Speaking of variants, I read vaccines may not be effective against the South African variant, don't quote me but something along the lines of a mutation in an important protein.

T'ain't over yet folks.

If you Google that, you find lots of articles about fears that vaccines "might not be as effective" against the new strains. But preliminary tests in relation to the Phizer vaccine look promising.

Lots of restrictions to do with south africa travel are just in case and not based on any particular research or testing. Which is fair enough but let's not panic just yet.

emaherx wrote: »
    If you Google that, you find lots of articles about fears that vaccines "might not be as effective" against the new strains. But preliminary tests in relation to the Phizer vaccine look promising.

Lots of restrictions to do with south africa travel are just in case and not based on any particular research or testing. Which is fair enough but let's not panic just yet.

I can't recall but I believe it was someone out of Oxford or Harvard uni that said it.

I can't recall but I believe it was someone out of Oxford or Harvard uni that said it.

Possibly, and perfectly normal for them to raise such concerns as these things needed to be checked. But it has lead to some researchers from Pfizer testing samples of the new strains with blood from a number vacineated individuals and so far have found the results to be positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

emaherx wrote: »
    Possibly, and perfectly normal for them to raise such concerns as these things needed to be checked. But it has lead to some researchers from Pfizer testing samples of the new strains with blood from a number vacineated individuals and so far have found the results to be positive.

That's not what was said on the BBC news this morning.

tanko wrote: »
    That's not what was said on the BBC news this morning.

Possibly not, news is changing frequently on this topic, as it's probably too early for a difinitive answer.

What did BBC say this morning?

Edit: I believe the news from Pfizer's research may be only about 5 hours old.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Speaking of variants, I read vaccines may not be effective against the South African variant, don't quote me but something along the lines of a mutation in an important protein.

T'ain't over yet folks.

I think they confirmed today that the mutations aren’t so significantly different so that the vaccinations should be effective

Wife is getting frost shot of vaccination on Monday. Absolutely delighted. Something like 50% protection after a week.

I asked her to check if they do carryouts 😂

Really looking forward to being able to track her every movement 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Are you finished in the other job?

In April

Reggie. wrote: »
    In April

Tic toc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Serious amount of cases today

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Serious amount of cases today

3 cases of the South African variant now here. Ireland isn't taking this seriously. Countries that are, meet you at the airport and bring you to quarantine, not rely on some dopey version of good will.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It looks like the vaccine being used in Ireland is or may be a live vaccine.

Vaccinations were given to six people on the Late Late Show as the vials are made for six people.
    Paul Reid, Director General of the HSE explained about the need to be careful of people who are vaccinated passing on covid to people who haven't been vaccinated yet.

In farming terms what I take from that is it's like how cattle are vaccinated with an ibr live vaccine. You have to do every animal in the place on the same day otherwise you risk the unvaccinated coming down with a bad case of ibr.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Vaccinations were given to six people on the Late Late Show as the vials are made for six people.
    Paul Reid, Director General of the HSE explained about the need to be careful of people who are vaccinated passing on covid to people who haven't been vaccinated yet.

In farming terms what I take from that is it's like how cattle are vaccinated with an ibr live vaccine. You have to do every animal in the place on the same day otherwise you risk the unvaccinated coming down with a bad case of ibr.

Would really fill you with confidence for having a decent year this year so.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Maybe you didn't hear or listen fully to what Paul Reid said but he also specifically stated that there was no evidence as yet to prove that the vaccine prevents transmission and therefore it was advisable to continue to adhere to social distancing, sanatise your hands and wear a face mask, etc.

Would really fill you with confidence for having a decent year this year so.

He said it's why they want to do the most vulnerable in society first. i.e. (medics because they want them working and the nursing homes).

But surely then the medics could pass it on to their families then and patients then if it is a thing..

I doubt he said it just so that whoever was vaccinated didn't start partying like it was 1999..?

Base price wrote: »
    Maybe you didn't hear or listen fully to what Paul Reid said but he also specifically stated that there was no evidence as yet to prove that the vaccine prevents transmission and therefore it was advisable to continue to adhere to social distancing, sanatise your hands and wear a face mask, etc.

Hence it must be a live vaccine or else it's not a vaccine that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Looking forward a few months, I can see real issues with having half the country vaccinated and those people swanning about back to normal, and the other half still having to restrict their movements and going insane.

Looking forward a few months, I can see real issues with having half the country vaccinated and those people swanning about back to normal, and the other half still having to restrict their movements and going insane.
    I see a bigger issue - half the country vaccinated with 3 different vaccines, some of which may prevent the spread of Covid and others not while the rest of us wear face masks, sanatise our hands in every shop, restrict our movements whilst wondering if the vaccinated ones are carriers.

Hence it must be a live vaccine or else it's not a vaccine that works.
    From memory according to Prof. Luke O'Neill on Newstalk it is not a live vaccine and has something to do with RNA and your body growing a protein to prevent the virus from getting a hold.

From memory according to Prof. Luke O'Neill on Newstalk it is not a live vaccine and has something to do with RNA and your body growing a protein to prevent the virus from getting a hold.

I hope so.

He should have left out the bit about vaccinated people possibly spreading coronavirus on national television.
    It didn't do the nerves any good especially now I know people who've been vaccinated and where and who they meet.

Edit: it sparked in me because I've been the recipient from a next door vaccinating his stock with a live ibr dose and my unvaccinated stock across two wire fences picking it up from his stock.
    It's not something the manufacturer's of the ibr live vaccines shout from the rooftops. It's the thing the vet mentions across the counter to be careful of.

• Advertisement

I hope so.

He should have left out the bit about vaccinated people possibly spreading coronavirus on national television.
    It didn't do the nerves any good especially now I know people who've been vaccinated and where and who they meet.
    When did he say that vaccinated people could spread coronavirus. He said that as yet there wasn't enough evidence to prove that the vaccine prevents transmission of the virus.

When did he say that vaccinated people could spread coronavirus. He said that as yet there wasn't enough evidence to prove that the vaccine prevents transmission of the virus.

Why did he say that?

He's covering himself for all possible scenarios.

Double negative talk. Still the same meaning. Same result.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Like most vaccines one would assume the main way in which it works is it prepares the immune system to deal with the virus, it won't prevent you getting it, will just aid your body in fighting and getting rid of it. Therefore you could be vaccinated, become exposed down the line, not get sick, or perhaps have slight symptoms due to immune response, and pass it on, however that time period may be much shorter. It is about building immunity within the population.
    Also afaik, the vaccine is based on a specific part of the virus which would allow white blood cells to break it down as opposed to being a live vaccine.
    Is the test for covid based on antibody response? If so there would want to be markers in the vaccine to distinguish vaccinated samples from unvaccinated samples.

How this vaccine works is explained in this article.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/explained-a-visual-guide-to-how-the-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-works-1.4436433

It's not a 'live' vaccine as some vaccines are.

I hope so.

Edit: it sparked in me because I've been the recipient from a next door vaccinating his stock with a live ibr dose and my unvaccinated stock across two wire fences picking it up from his stock.
    It's not something the manufacturer's of the ibr live vaccines shout from the rooftops. It's the thing the vet mentions across the counter to be careful of.
    I just saw your edited post as I was about to turn off the laptop before heading to bed - maybe heading to bed is a better idea ;)
    We use Rispoval RS+Pi3 intranasal (live vaccine) on all the calves thatwe buy in. Sometimes if it's not too late in the night we vaccinate them as they come off the ramp or alternatively we do them the next day. Those calves stay in the holding yard for a week or so before been moved onto the rearing yard. It gives us a chance to spot any weak ones and weed them out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

How this vaccine works is explained in this article.

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/explained-a-visual-guide-to-how-the-pfizer-covid-19-vaccine-works-1.4436433

It's not a 'live' vaccine as some vaccines are.

There are two types of vaccine to be considered. The Pfizer and Moderna are mRNA vaccines. The Oxford/AstraZeneca and lesser known Janssen are modified live vaccines, utilising a weakened virus (not even a coronavirus) that can't replicate in human cells and has been genetically engineered to carry RNA into the cells to start a similar process to that described in that link (best description of the immune response I've read yet).
    How does the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine work?

The vaccine – called ChAdOx1 nCoV-19 – uses a harmless, weakened version of a common virus which causes a cold in chimpanzees.

Researchers have already used this technology to produce vaccines against a number of pathogens including flu, Zika and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (Mers).

The virus is genetically modified so that it is impossible for it to grow in humans.

Scientists have transferred the genetic instructions for coronavirus’s specific “spike protein” – which it needs to invade cells – to the vaccine.

When the vaccine enters cells inside the body, it uses this genetic code to produce the surface spike protein of the coronavirus.

This induces an immune response, priming the immune system to attack coronavirus if it infects the body.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/opinion/commentanalysis/arid-40200201.html

There is a third type of vaccine being made too. The Chinese vaccines are the older 'dead' type of vaccine.

As the global race to produce a Covid-19 vaccine continues, China appears to have made huge strides, with vaccines from two front-runners - Sinovac and Sinopharm - already making their way abroad.

But what do we know about China's vaccines and how do they compare to those being developed elsewhere?

How does the Sinovac vaccine work?

The Beijing-based biopharmaceutical company Sinovac is behind the CoronaVac, an inactivated vaccine.

It works by using killed viral particles to expose the body's immune system to the virus without risking a serious disease response.

By comparison the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines being developed in the West are mRNA vaccines. This means part of the coronavirus' genetic code is injected into the body, triggering the body to begin making viral proteins, but not the whole virus, which is enough to train the immune system to attack.

"CoronaVac is a more traditional method [of vaccine] that is successfully used in many well known vaccines like rabies," Associate Prof Luo Dahai of the Nanyang Technological University told the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55212787#:~:text=How%20does%20the%20Sinovac%20vaccine,risking%20a%20serious%20disease%20response.

There's also a comparison of some of the vaccines in that link.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

More on the technology of the Janssen and Astra-Zeneca type of vaccines.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/health/johnson-johnson-covid-19-vaccine.html

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

I'm trying to make sense of what I'm reading about vaccines and their effects.

I think you've got to draw a distinction between what's been proven and therefore can be stated and what you might expect from vaccines based on normal expectations/previous vaccines.

Time and research will allow manufacturers to make further claims of effectiveness.

If a vaccine boosts your immunity you can expect it to prevent or lessen symptoms and prevent or reduce transmission.

It won't be 100% effective in everybody. That's normal with vaccines.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    If a vaccine boosts your immunity you can expect it to prevent or lessen symptoms and prevent or reduce transmission.

Exactly.

And even someone who is 100% immune can still carry and pass it on to someone who isn't, even if it is only through surface contacts, obviously in this case good hand hygiene is important.

• Advertisement

greysides wrote: »
    I'm trying to make sense of what I'm reading about vaccines and their effects.

I think you've got to draw a distinction between what's been proven and can be stated and what you might expect from vaccines based on normal expectations/previous vaccines.

Time and research will allow manufacturers to make further claims of effectiveness.

Know folks who have gotten their first jab. All delighted to get it. Thankfully no reactions at all. One of these got the flu jsb and had quite the reaction to it amd had to be brought to ED, but was fine after the covid vaccine.

There will be massive scrutiny amd perhaps over reporting on reactions to the vaccine. We need to remember that people have reactions to vaccines all the time, it’s only a tiny number of people and mostly the reactions are negligible, but in minuscule numbers the reactions are more severe.

This doesn’t mean there is a problem with the vaccine.

Advertisement