Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

emaherx wrote: »
    Exactly.

And even someone who is 100% immune can still carry and pass it on to someone who isn't, even if it is only through surface contacts, obviously in this case good hand hygiene is important.

My experience is in cattle, but I'd reduce that 100% down to, say, 90%, as an illustration.

Some IBR vaccinated cattle will get runny noses and transmit but won't get sick themselves.

Further down the percentages the same animal with the runny nose will be down in milk. Her sister will be similar but not eating just as well, etc, all the way down to the vaccinated cow that's sick.

Nature doesn't have strong dividing lines, things merge.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

greysides wrote: »
    My experience is in cattle, but I'd reduce that 100% down to, say, 90%, as an illustration.

Some IBR vaccinated cattle will get runny noses and transmit but won't get sick themselves.

Further down the percentages the same animal with the runny nose will be down in milk. Her sister will be similar but not eating just as well, etc, all the way down to the vaccinated cow that's sick.
    The big question is how effective will the vaccine's protection be in the small minority of the population that all the restrictions were brought in to save.

The way immunity in the population is being talked about in most places is far too simplistic. The idea that we vaccinate 60-70% of the population and we have pretty much conquered covid is a nice story to tell but reality will most definitely be different

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

greysides wrote: »

Absolutely, I meant that 100% as a hypothetical IF. My point was people can still spread the virus regardless of their immunity level if other precautions are not taken seriously too.

I hope so.

He should have left out the bit about vaccinated people possibly spreading coronavirus on national television.
    It didn't do the nerves any good especially now I know people who've been vaccinated and where and who they meet.

Edit: it sparked in me because I've been the recipient from a next door vaccinating his stock with a live ibr dose and my unvaccinated stock across two wire fences picking it up from his stock.
    It's not something the manufacturer's of the ibr live vaccines shout from the rooftops. It's the thing the vet mentions across the counter to be careful of.

That's a shocking disregard for their customers, neighbours and livestock in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's a shocking disregard for their customers, neighbours and livestock in general.

And none of it intentional..?

To most live or dead is only a word that is pegged onto the front of vaccine.

• Advertisement

And none of it intentional..?

To most live or dead is only a word that is pegged onto the front of vaccine.

Intentional on the companies behalf I would say. There's too much small print and gibberish.

Intentional on the companies behalf I would say. There's too much small print and gibberish.

All hail Gabe Brown..:D

You have to use a bit of sense in all these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Apparently hse clerical staff are getting the vaccine ahead of front line staff and nursing home residents. You couldn't make it up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    Apparently hse clerical staff are getting the vaccine ahead of front line staff and nursing home residents. You couldn't make it up

I could :rolleyes: :D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

For feck's sake, that cannot be true.
    My mind was wondering earlier today - considering that the 2 new approved vaccines it isn't know if they prevent the onward spread of Covid. How are the families of vaccinated front line workers going to be protected if Mammy/Daddy/sibling etc are carriers? Surely the family of a front line worker should be vaccinated at the same time as they are?

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    For feck's sake, that cannot be true.
    My mind was wondering earlier today - considering that the 2 new approved vaccines it isn't know if they prevents the onward spread of Covid. How are the families of vaccinated front line workers going to be protected if Mammy/Daddy/sibling etc are carriers? Surely the family of a front line worker should be vaccinated at the same time as they are?

They've protected their families fairly well up to now, attention to detail seems to be the secret, I hope it's well highlighted if they aren't vaccinating as quick as it's being delivered, they can't be allowed make a mess of it

What could be happening is the clerical staff could be the sixth person.

The vials are sold for five but they're being dragged out to six people in Ireland. And I think it has to be used in twenty minutes.

I heard of an ambulance driver just happened to be at a certain hospital than normal and was asked would he get vaccinated.
    Just because he turned up meant five people already working at the hospital could be vaccinated.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

539028.png

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Apparently, "pen pushers" are the most important !

Apparently, "pen pushers" are the most important !
    Pen pushers run the Country.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

So a patient checks in to a&e/ covid area what do they nurses/docs look for when they are registered and awaiting to be triage??

naughto wrote: »
    So a patient checks in to a&e/ covid area what do they nurses/docs look for when they are registered and awaiting to be triage??

What religion they are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Dont know who told you that all staff in the front line at a&e will be vaccinated that includes the staff that have to register and front of house. Not all hse clerical staff. Missus is down to be vaccinated the end of march and is in the HSE. Along with all.of the office

What religion they are

Nope there chart which is why you need to have clerical

I had to bring OH to a&e in the early hours of the morning a few weeks ago. Other than confirming his details/next of kin etc, we were sent to the waiting room. The nurse that eventually triaged him took his temperature but didn't bother to take mine even though I was standing beside him and her for over 10 minutes. He was brought into another part of the hospital for x-ray and I went back into the waiting room. In fairness we were all wearing masks.

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    I had to bring OH to a&e in the early hours of the morning a few weeks ago. Other than confirming his details/next of kin etc, we were sent to the waiting room. The nurse that eventually triaged him took his temperature but didn't bother to take mine even though I was standing beside him and her for over 10 minutes. He was brought into another part of the hospital for x-ray and I went back into the waiting room. In fairness we were all wearing masks.

Was the reason for being in a&e for covid ?
    Its different in every hospital but if you or your son didn't have any covid symptoms high temp coughing sore throat then you would be allowed in to the normal e&d I presume they have your details if you where a close contact with some 1 in the waiting room that turned out to be positive even if that person had no symptoms either

Was the reason for being in a&e for covid ?
    Its different in every hospital but if you or your son didn't have any covid symptoms high temp coughing sore throat then you would be allowed in to the normal e&d I presume they have your details if you where a close contact with some 1 in the waiting room that turned out to be positive even if that person had no symptoms either
    Not Covid related. OH broke his collarbone and cracked three ribs. TBH I saw a portacabin with signs on it for Covid patents at the entrance of the a&e but it was in darkness when we arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Not true as in clerical staff are not being prioritised over front line staff. Each day there is a clear schedule of staff scheduled for the vaccine which is front line staff. However, for purely genuine reasons not all staff can attend for vaccination (e.g. they may be showing symptoms themselves or become a close contact) and therefore can’t be given the vaccine. And then last minute substitutes are sought so as not to waste any vaccine and whilst other front line staff are sought, it can be a matter of getting whoever is available and a small number of these might be clerical staff.

Also, some clerical staff work on the front line e.g. ward clerks, A&E administration, etc. and they would be prioritised as front line staff.

BTW I work for the HSE and I’m involved in the vaccine roll out.

Hope this clarifies.

Dunedin wrote: »
    Not true as in clerical staff are not being prioritised over front line staff. Each day there is a clear schedule of staff scheduled for the vaccine which is front line staff. However, for purely genuine reasons not all staff can attend for vaccination (e.g. they may be showing symptoms themselves or become a close contact) and therefore can’t be given the vaccine. And then last minute substitutes are sought so as not to waste any vaccine and whilst other front line staff are sought, it can be a matter of getting whoever is available and a small number of these might be clerical staff.

Also, some clerical staff work on the front line e.g. ward clerks, A&E administration, etc. and they would be prioritised as front line staff.

BTW I work for the HSE and I’m involved in the vaccine roll out.

Hope this clarifies.

It's in the independent today, a hospital in Cork Vaccinated six times more management and background staff than Doctors, there was also a doctor highlighting that he couldn't get it despite being in contact with Covid every day...... sounds very bad

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Definitely not the case in local hospital

I have a source on another forum who said it is the case. She works high up in hse. Even some retired clerical staff have had the vaccination before frontline staff. I believe her. She said alot of people are very upset that admin got the vaccination before icu staff. Maybe hospitals differ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

I have a source on another forum who said it is the case. She works high up in hse. Even some retired clerical staff have had the vaccination before frontline staff. I believe her. She said alot of people are very upset that admin got the vaccination before icu staff. Maybe hospitals differ.
    Have a friend working as admin in a hospital that I also have an aunty working as a nurse . The admin got the vaccine 2 days before the nurses in that hospital but it might be purely logistics

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Have a friend working as admin in a hospital that I also have an aunty working as a nurse . The admin got the vaccine 2 days before the nurses in that hospital but it might be purely logistics

I know loads of non medics vaccinated at this stage, one asked for it not to be advertised as it might cause a negative reaction...... the bloody cheek

• Registered Users Posts: 4,302 ✭✭✭Robson99

A certain amount of Clerical should be getting the vaccine depending on the area / section in the hospital they work in and rightly so ahead of Doctors / Nurses in low risk areas.
    Sound like one of those stories that gathered wings. Like everything not all of the people are going to be happy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,322 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Robson99 wrote: »
    A certain amount of Clerical should be getting the vaccine depending on the area / section in the hospital they work in and rightly so ahead of Doctors / Nurses in low risk areas.
    Sound like one of those stories that gathered wings. Like everything not all of the people are going to be happy

Plenty of administration staff in patient-facing areas. It’s not just doctors and nurses that work in hospitals.

Advertisement