Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Australia and New Zealand were facing into the winter at the start of the pandemic. Borders closed and interstate lockdowns worked for them. Pubs are open there this last 6 months or more in Australia with the exception for Victoria which had a big lockdown. As for New Zealand i think the pubs had to close for one or two weeks since they came out of there first lockdown. Whos to say they eont suffer with it tbis coming winter but i reckon the lockdowns had more kf an effect than the climate.

Covid was arriving here in December/January in some sort of numbers if not earlier. Community spread would have been well under way getting it well established before it was even on our radar.
    They had the benefit that those cases being imported through December to February were hitting peak summer. So for every one case imported here it had the chance to spread to say 2 or 3 people and keep multiplying further. Each import case would probably have been spreading to 0.5 or less people in aus/nz.
    So by the time they actually locked down the amount of covid there would have been many times less than here, where it was growing in the community

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Covid was arriving here in December/January in some sort of numbers if not earlier. Community spread would have been well under way getting it well established before it was even on our radar.
    They had the benefit that those cases being imported through December to February were hitting peak summer. So for every one case imported here it had the chance to spread to say 2 or 3 people and keep multiplying further. Each import case would probably have been spreading to 0.5 or less people in aus/nz.
    So by the time they actually locked down the amount of covid there would have been many times less than here, where it was growing in the community

Italy wouldn't be a hot spot for NZ skiers though..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

[Sinovac's COVID-19 vaccine is 100 percent effective in preventing severe and moderate infections, 77.96 percent effective in preventing mild cases, and has an overall efficacy of 50.4 percent in Brazil's final-stage trials.

Experts say the result is good enough considering almost all participants in Brazil are high-risk medical workers, and the 77.96 efficacy for mild-case protection means the vaccine can reduce 78 percent of people from needing hospitalization.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/page/202101/1212629.shtml

It's also cheaper than some other options which is important in developing countries.

It's a conventional dead vaccine.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pfizer CEO says there are encouraging signs that vaccine limits transmission:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/pfizer-ceo-5323949-Jan2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

https://www.omnicalculator.com/health/ireland-vaccine-queue

Find out when you will get the Vaccine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

dzer2 wrote: »

2022 for me:D

Well I know what I'm getting for my birthday now, surprise ruined!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Herself was saying the speed of deterioration in some patients can be just shocking.

Going from being sick but sitting up talking eating a full dinner on the ward , to ICU intubated and sedated the next day, lungs filling with fluid. She’s 25years on these wards and never ever seen anything that in any way resembles this virus.

They are expecting to peak at three to four times as many patients in this wave than the first wave.

Be careful folks, with the more transmissible variant now more prevalent out there it is more important than ever to take care.

If your male and BMI over 30 this virus is a serious threat to your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

No ICU beds left in olol. They have swapped non covid a and e with the covid a and e to gain more space

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭eire23

_Brian wrote: »
    Herself was saying the speed of deterioration in some patients can be just shocking.

Going from being sick but sitting up talking eating a full dinner on the ward , to ICU intubated and sedated the next day, lungs filling with fluid. She’s 25years on these wards and never ever seen anything that in any way resembles this virus.

They are expecting to peak at three to four times as many patients in this wave than the first wave.

Be careful folks, with the more transmissible variant now more prevalent out there it is more important than ever to take care.

When do they expect it to peak? Hopefully the tide turns soon. Must be a nightmare for anyone working in a hospital at the minute

• Advertisement

eire23 wrote: »
    When do they expect it to peak? Hopefully the tide turns soon. Must be a nightmare for anyone working in a hospital at the minute

Initially thought we would be at the peak now. But new variant seems to be adding weeks and numbers as it’s just spreading easier and quicker.

Thankfully OH doesn’t work full time, but hour are being increased.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

Just for the craic I did a BMI calculator there, quite suprised as I'm not a million miles away from 30, would have never considered myself overweight at all. I would have thought BMI of 30 would mean an inactive person who's very heavy, not the case at all.

whelan2 wrote: »
    No ICU beds left in olol. They have swapped non covid a and e with the covid a and e to gain more space

I believe they ran out of ICU beds in Cork a couple of days back as well

I see my own county has surpassed Dublin for cases per capita, go us :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Going off of the few families I know who had a confirmed outbreak, there seems to be more to it than just being an overweight male as in those cases the member of the family that should've been most affected weathered it best.
    Whether it's exposure to fresh air or vitamin d is the factor that can greatly shift the balance, I don't know but there does seem to be something else involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

endainoz wrote: »
    Just for the craic I did a BMI calculator there, quite suprised as I'm not a million miles away from 30, would have never considered myself overweight at all. I would have thought BMI of 30 would mean an inactive person who's very heavy, not the case at all.

It's just a guide, a man with wide shoulders, large frame, lot's of muscle can't be judged the same as a small poor muscled frame frame.
    My GP says that I'll always be more of a rugby player than a ballet dancer but a BMI OF 30 will have the same effect on my joints no matter what shape I am when I plead big frame

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Where olol whelan?

gozunda wrote: »
    Where olol whelan?

Our Lady OF lourdes
    Drogheda I'd say :D:D:D

Initially thought we would be at the peak now. But new variant seems to be adding weeks and numbers as it’s just spreading easier and quicker.

Thankfully OH doesn’t work full time, but hour are being increased.

They say from infection to admission to hospital in more serious cases is on average 1-3 weeks then 4 - six weeks for recovery or otherwise.

With the massive spike in infection over the Christmas and New year period we are only starting to see the impacts of it on hospitals. And unfortunately thats going to continue for the coming weeks

Going off of the few families I know who had a confirmed outbreak, there seems to be more to it than just being an overweight male as in those cases the member of the family that should've been most affected weathered it best.
    Whether it's exposure to fresh air or vitamin d is the factor that can greatly shift the balance, I don't know but there does seem to be something else involved.

Everyone I know over 60 is supplementing Vit D

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Our Lady OF lourdes
    Drogheda I'd say :D:D:D

Ah sure I should have known that! But it does look funny written like that ... ;)

gozunda wrote: »
    They say from infection to admission to hospital in more serious cases is on average 1-3 weeks then 4 - six weeks for recovery or otherwise.

With the massive spike in infection over the Christmas and New year period we are only starting to see the impacts of it on hospitals. And unfortunately thats going to continue for the coming weeks

It's from now on we'll see the latest surge reflected in the deaths every day

Everyone I know over 60 is supplementing Vit D

Had to get some for my mother today.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It's just a guide, a man with wide shoulders, large frame, lot's of muscle can't be judged the same as a small poor muscled frame frame.
    My GP says that I'll always be more of a rugby player than a ballet dancer but a BMI OF 30 will have the same effect on my joints no matter what shape I am when I plead big frame

Something similar to me. My ideal weight is 12 stone. I'm closer to 16.5 stone. Doc told me back then if I ever hit 12 stone I'd look like death. He put my ideal weight somewhere near 14 or 14.5 stone due to my frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Reggie. wrote: »
    Something similar to me. My ideal weight is 12 stone. I'm closer to 16.5 stone. Doc told me back then if I ever hit 12 stone I'd look like death. He put my ideal weight somewhere near 14 or 14.5 stone due to my frame.

Jesus Reggie

Wouldn't have thought you were that much bigger than myself. I know my ideal weight according to the BMI index is 11 10. I will never get down to that but 13 stone more realistic

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Jesus Reggie

Wouldn't have thought you were that much bigger than myself. I know my ideal weight according to the BMI index is 11 10. I will never get down to that but 13 stone more realistic

Always was the lad they want on a tug of war line

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Reggie. wrote: »
    Always was the lad they want on a tug of war line

The Anchor at the back.

Baby steps now to a bit of an improvement

Baby steps now to a bit of an improvement

See some idiot journalist asking at the nephet briefing when they think restrictions will be lifted.
    It’s incomprehensible that someone is thinking like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

See some idiot journalist asking at the nephet briefing when they think restrictions will be lifted.
    It’s incomprehensible that someone is thinking like that.

Always mad for the headline....

Advertisement