Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

_Brian wrote: »
    See some idiot journalist asking at the nephet briefing when they think restrictions will be lifted.
    It’s incomprehensible that someone is thinking like that.

Worst question I heard from them yesterday was along the lines of "How near to the edge are we really" as in exceeding hospital capacity, they're just wishing death on people the vultures.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    Baby steps now to a bit of an improvement

If they're able to do what they're promising (100000 vaccinations + per week ) it'll improve very quick, I don't believe a bit of it though, I see one of the papers this morning highlighting the vaccination of non priorities/ non frontline in hospitals.
    Looking up the websites and going by proper priorities, I should be done in march but again I wouldn't depend on it happening.

Once lambing starts here on 1st march we'll be in sheep enforced lockdown anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

See some idiot journalist asking at the nephet briefing when they think restrictions will be lifted.

Hopefully they are starting to think ahead of an exit plan. This lockdown could drag on a good lenght of time more than it should otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

We are still hiding from this disease we need an out plan now. Sitting in Dublin spouting numbers is no plan. Locking up the youth and depressing the lonely elderly is no way to go on. Lots of rlderly single lads around us nearly getting run over trying to stop cars so they can have a chat.

dzer2 wrote: »
    We are still hiding from this disease we need an out plan now. Sitting in Dublin spouting numbers is no plan. Locking up the youth and depressing the lonely elderly is no way to go on. Lots of rlderly single lads around us nearly getting run over trying to stop cars so they can have a chat.

The pandemic will last as long as people are spreading it,

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    The pandemic will last as long as people are spreading it,

Which could be FOREVER even with the vaccines. There's no reason to think we can definitely eradicate it even with strict adherence to the most draconian of restrictions

Which could be FOREVER even with the vaccines. There's no reason to think we can definitely eradicate it even with strict adherence to the most draconian of restrictions

You'd hope that the vaccine would at worst mean that it'd take it's course in you without killing you

• Registered Users Posts: 4,917 ✭✭✭enricoh

One of the lads on my football whatsapp group split up with the woman recently.
    Some of the others are slagging him about chipping in for a hooker to keep him ticking over.

There's 500+ hookers on the website working away n they're trying to pick the ugliest! I wouldn't care less normally but how in the name of God is it tolerated at the minute. We're peeing again the wind.

wrangler wrote: »
    You'd hope that the vaccine would at worst mean that it'd take it's course in you without killing you

But that then gives us a very different looking exit plan compared to expecting positives to go to zero when a large amount of vaccinations are eventually carried out.
    There's such high expectations built about what the vaccines will actually do, that we are in big danger of overreacting to positive tests and illness not disappearing entirely

https://m.independent.ie/world-news/coronavirus/up-to-23-people-died-this-month-after-contracting-virus-in-hospital-outbreak-39971044.html

"Over half the patients in some unnamed hospitals caught covid in the hospital"

That would back up that circa 30% of current covid hospitalizations could be made up of hospital acquired infection or in hospital for a non covid reason.
    Covid hospitalization to icu ratio still remains well below where it would otherwise be

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Not getting at you but why is that anything but a question most people would like the answer to ?
    I would be interested in when they think things will get back to normal.Gave up reading about/listening to covid news a good while ago.At this stage anyone I know seems to be just going through the motions ie stick on the mask going in the door of the shop and off again as soon as you exit.Same with going places,visiting houses etc.

Not getting at you but why is that anything but a question most people would like the answer to ?
    I would be interested in when they think things will get back to normal.Gave up reading about/listening to covid news a good while ago.At this stage anyone I know seems to be just going through the motions ie stick on the mask going in the door of the shop and off again as soon as you exit.Same with going places,visiting houses etc.

Nephet would need to know whether the public are going to abide by level 3 restrictions or act the brat. Otherwise it's impossible to forecast when, if ever, we get out.
    After acting the brat at Christmas we know now the consequences so maybe we might move on now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

OH when for his first checkup yesterday since breaking his collarbone and fracturing 3 ribs on Mid Winter's night. The protocol entering the hospital was great and the lady who phone to change the original appointment told him what to expect.

A security man showed us to a station where we had to fill out a form with his personal details and there were 6 or 7 stations. The station had hand sanitiser, a box of new pens and a bin to discard the pen that you were using. We had to bring the completed form to the reception area where there was a camera that automatically took your temperature. I accompanied OH as he cannot write so I filled out the form. The man at the desk told me that I could accompany OH to the Outpatient's department but I would also have to fill out a form with my contact details but we decided to not to bother and I would wait in the jeep.

OH phone me about a hour later to say that when he registered in the Outpatient dept they sent he for a x-ray but when he came back to the Outpatient dept there was a fella (hospital worker) walking through the waiting area every now and again calling out names and he was not wearing a mask at times. A lady who was sitting (social distancing) near OH said that this fella had been doing it since before lunch. OH called a nurse over and asked who the fella was and why wasn't he wearing a mask all the time - it turns out he was a doctor :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

enricoh wrote: »
    Some of the others are slagging him about chipping in for a hooker to keep him ticking over.

There's 500+ hookers on the website working away n they're trying to pick the ugliest! I wouldn't care less normally but how in the name of God is it tolerated at the minute. We're peeing again the wind.

Maybe if he stays less than 15 mins he won't qualify as a, close contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,943 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

enricoh wrote: »

For multiple reasons I am recommending masks for both parties.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Base price wrote: »
    OH called a nurse over and asked who the fella was and why wasn't he wearing a mask all the time - it turns out he was a doctor :mad:

What was the story from long ago, before bacteria was understood, of doctors not washing hands between patients (therefore spreading infection and disease) because they were too gentlemanly to be "unclean".

What was the story from long ago, before bacteria was understood, of doctors not washing hands between patients (therefore spreading infection and disease) because they were too gentlemanly to be "unclean".

That would be back quite a bit. Certainly from the the late 1800s, hygiene became a chief weapons in preventing infection. Joseph Lister died in 1912.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Water John wrote: »
    That would be back quite a bit. Certainly from the the late 1800s, hygiene became a chief weapons in preventing infection. Joseph Lister died in 1912.

Funny.
    And yet hand hygiene is a major failure point in hospital assessments.

Oddly I think it slackened off with the advent of antibiotics. We could cure everything then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It was a story about doctors doing post mortems or fiddling about on cadavers that were usually illegally obtained for medical research, with their bare hands and no washing after and then going on to do surgery on live patients, who they wanted to live but were dying from infections and bacteria brought on the doctor's hands from the dead bodies.

It was till the invention of the microscope that doctors could finally understand there was life on a whole microscopic level. Although I think some had it guessed beforehand.

That Joseph lister above. I had to Google him. :p In the Wikipedia entry it mentions carbolic acid being used as a disinfectant or rather it took the smell away from sewage spread fields and then Joe thought to himself it'd make a use for him in surgery.
    Anyway I see Farmer Phil of YouTube fame mention how he used slurry bugs on his slurry and when moving the slurry there was zero smell.
    Same result except slurry bugs are not carbolic acid. Slurry bugs are hundreds if not thousands of different types of bacteria and fungi that use up all the nitrogen in the slurry and convert it into their dead bodies - carbon.

Off topic a little and back to topic there were 50 deaths recorded from Covid 19 in Ireland today. Rest in Peace to all.

Also credit to Florence Nightingale.

We're relearning, it's still a key weapon hygiene, wash your hands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Told today i was a close contact of a close contact over three weeks ago, the close contact hadnt been informed he was close conract until after 12 days. We were sat at a rable for a few hours having a few pints the day after he was in contact.
    Sister returned to work nursing today as the symptoms were gond and was tolx to come back, back in work and the symptoms are back again after testing positive within the last week.
    Workmate is in pain all week and were telling him to get it checked but hes terrified of going to hospital now and bringing home Covid to his family, i was the same myself a while bsck after an injury myself a while back only for i needsd a cert to sy i was fit for work i wouldnt have went myself to be fair, turned out i wasnt fit fof it as it happened too.
    Should have 1170kms done by tbe time im home tomorrow afternoon and so far ive met two checkpoints at the same spot. Had the letter in my hand the first time the gard just asked work? I said yes and was waved on so today i deliberatly had the blank side of the letter facing the garda and he just waved me on said good man on ye go.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

Base price wrote: »
    OH when for his first checkup yesterday since breaking his collarbone and fracturing 3 ribs on Mid Winter's night. The protocol entering the hospital was great and the lady who phone to change the original appointment told him what to expect.

A security man showed us to a station where we had to fill out a form with his personal details and there were 6 or 7 stations. The station had hand sanitiser, a box of new pens and a bin to discard the pen that you were using. We had to bring the completed form to the reception area where there was a camera that automatically took your temperature. I accompanied OH as he cannot write so I filled out the form. The man at the desk told me that I could accompany OH to the Outpatient's department but I would also have to fill out a form with my contact details but we decided to not to bother and I would wait in the jeep.

OH phone me about a hour later to say that when he registered in the Outpatient dept they sent he for a x-ray but when he came back to the Outpatient dept there was a fella (hospital worker) walking through the waiting area every now and again calling out names and he was not wearing a mask at times. A lady who was sitting (social distancing) near OH said that this fella had been doing it since before lunch. OH called a nurse over and asked who the fella was and why wasn't he wearing a mask all the time - it turns out he was a doctor :mad:

That doctor should be named and shamed.

I agree but I doubt it would make a difference considering it's the HSE.

Bit OTT, but if he was working with my med family members, he would be wearing his mask. He could have a stand off if he wanted but he'd lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭amacca

endainoz wrote: »
    Eddie Hobbs is a fraud with absolutely zero credibility.

Agreed....another utter (attention seeking) cretin to add to the pantheon of them.

I'm not a big one for state control but I couldn't have any respect for anything that guy comes up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Ah here...

They should wear a mask - they should be told put back on the mask, and wear it all the time... make a complaint or however it’s done...

Naming and shaming, what the fcuk is that going to achieve - piling more pressure on someone who might be under a lot of pressure due to the pandemic we have going on?

A lot of people in the HSE are under pressure and doing a good job keeping the show on the road, and your answer is name and shame?

No, grow up I think...

• Advertisement

A few years ago my niece and her student doctor cohorts were completing mock up patient examinations as part of an exam. From memory a number of volunteers were selected to act as patients iykwim. Anyway they all failed the exam because none of them washed their hands after examining each patient. The lecturer/doctor didn't physically examine any patient but stood back to see how they preformed.

Advertisement