Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Base price wrote: »
    A few years ago my niece and her student doctor cohorts were completing mock up patient examinations as part of an exam. From memory a number of volunteers were selected to act as patients iykwim. Anyway they all failed the exam because none of them washed their hands after examining each patient. The lecturer/doctor didn't physically examine any patient but stood back to see how they preformed.

The best one was a story my father told about a group of young medical school students many years ago at one of the countries teaching hospitals.

They were examining a patient who had developed type 2 diabetes - when the doctor was explaining that sometimes the condition can be detected by sugar being present in the urine - whereby the senior medical lecturer took up the patients urine bottle, dipped his finger in it and put it in his mouth.

Unsurprisingly the students were stunned - but when he asked them to do try the same - they were even more shocked. But as the daily rounds were part were a significant part of the required coursework- they all reluctantly complied.

However unknown and unseen by them - the lecturer at the last moment had folded his finger into his palm and hadn't put the finger into the urine bottle at all.

And he says to them - in medicine after hygiene - observation is the single most important thing that you'll learn. Remember those two things - now go Wash your hands.

True story. I dunno ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Used to be done to detect glucose in urine.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

See it's the first day in a long time were hospital discharges are higher than admissions

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Just in from doing a final few jobs. The noise from traffic on the main road is crazy for 9.00 pm on a Saturday during lockdown. Sounds more like the volume of traffic on a regular Saturday night. I dunno that people have copped on what's happening in the hospitals at all.

Louth figures have been crazy for a long time . Apparently 2 weddings around Christmas. One with 70 guests and 68 of those including the priest positive wtf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Louth figures have been crazy for a long time . Apparently 2 weddings around Christmas. One with 70 guests and 68 of those including the priest positive wtf

Was talking to a chap about a wedding on their family over Christmas. 9 out of the 10 guests tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

Weddings, funerals, GAA games or something to do with gaa, schools, PPL coming home for xmas, wet pubs , creches, birthdays, nursing homes, house parties, something to do with travellers, hospitals, 'gastropubs'.......... what else? Meat factories, communuons and confirmations havent been heard of for a while so they seem to be going straight.

frank8211 wrote: »
    Weddings, funerals, GAA games or something to do with gaa, schools, PPL coming home for xmas, wet pubs , creches, birthdays, nursing homes, house parties, something to do with travellers, hospitals, 'gastropubs'.......... what else? Meat factories, communuons and confirmations havent been heard of for a while so they seem to be going straight.

Far as I know meat factory in Monaghan is closed with an outbreak

You know communions amd confirmations aren’t happening all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

_Brian wrote: »
    Far as I know meat factory in Monaghan is closed with an outbreak

You know communions amd confirmations aren’t happening all the time.

Think that went slightly over your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

gozunda wrote: »
    Just in from doing a final few jobs. The noise from traffic on the main road is crazy for 9.00 pm on a Saturday during lockdown. Sounds more like the volume of traffic on a regular Saturday night. I dunno that people have copped on what's happening in the hospitals at all.

Went from Kilkenny to the Newbridge/Naas exit on the M9/M7 yesterday morning a nice few cars heading down the country but i only net two cars and two lorries on my side driving up until i hit the M7 that was st 6am though to be fair but it was a lot quieter coming home too than i was expecting as well.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

Flicking round the tv last night and came to the Smithsonian channel. They had a program about the “Spanish” Flu on, it was made sometime post SARS but obviously pre COVID19.

Very interesting,

They traced the origins back to rural Kansas which surprised me.

From showing symptoms to death in 48hours or less and targeted the healthy mid aged population.

Irony was the guy from the CDC said that because of SARS they reconstructed the 1918 flu to better understand coronavirus, he said we would be well prepared with flexibility in vaccines to protect from any future outbreaks, seems that didn’t go too well.

Woodward the US president insisted in sending troops to Europe jammed into ships to fight knowing they would die before fighting, at one stage the Americans had 200,000 sick soldiers in Europe. He himself contracted the flu in Europe and it essentially finished his life.

He contracted flu during the negotiations in Versailles, he was the main voice pushing for a balanced reaction to Germany, but because he was struck down mid negotiations they went with the draconian measures that essentially caused WW2.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

"_Brian wrote: »
    Irony was the guy from the CDC said that because of SARS they reconstructed the 1918 flu to better understand coronavirus, he said we would be well prepared with flexibility in vaccines to protect from any future outbreaks, seems that didn’t go too well.

I watched a BBC documentary on the making of the Oxford Vaccine, they developed it within hours of receiving the data on Covid-19, which was before they even had officially named it. So to be fair he was not wrong on our flexibility to prepare new vaccines quickly. It is the safety and effectiveness testing that has caused the biggest delays.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think they have said, six weeks to tweak an MRNA vaccine. As you say it's the testing would be the delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Water John wrote: »
    I think they have said, six weeks to tweak an MRNA vaccine. As you say it's the testing would be the delay.

I think they said 48 hours for the Oxford one. I think it's a more traditional vaccine compared to the others. Even if there was tweaking for a few weeks after that it's still fairly impressive. But I doubt many would have wanted to take it so soon either.

The mRNA tweak would be for a completely different virus. So they now have a base that will carry any vaccine.
    This tech will also possibly have a big role in treating cancers.

emaherx wrote: »
    I watched a BBC documentary on the making of the Oxford Vaccine, they developed it within hours of receiving the data on Covid-19, which was before they even had officially named it. So to be fair he was not wrong on our flexibility to prepare new vaccines quickly. It is the safety and effectiveness testing that has caused the biggest delays.

That’s quick.

The mRNA tweak would be for a completely different virus. So they now have a base that will carry any vaccine.
    This tech will also possibly have a big role in treating cancers.

That’s a massive bonus.

Think that was the originally conceived use.

'For decades, scientists have dreamed about the seemingly endless possibilities of custom-made messenger RNA, or mRNA.
    Researchers understood its role as a recipe book for the body’s trillions of cells, but their efforts to expand the menu have come in fits and starts. The concept: By making precise tweaks to synthetic mRNA and injecting people with it, any cell in the body could be transformed into an on-demand drug factory.' Boston Globe article on Katalin Kariko.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

See it's the first day in a long time were hospital discharges are higher than admissions

Where did you see that? Wouldn't it be great if they reported some good news like this in the daily Nphet bulletin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

Where did you see that? Wouldn't it be great if they reported some good news like this in the daily Nphet bulletin

Looks to be back up again today unfortunately..

• Advertisement

Ye crazy numbers now over 2000

We probably are near or at peak in the hospitals.

We probably are near or at peak in the hospitals.

You would expect.

But seeing 2000+ cases a day you know plenty of these will be entering the hospital system in 7-12 days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You would expect.

But seeing 2000+ cases a day you know plenty of these will be entering the hospital system in 7-12 days time.

RTE was talking to someone tracing contacts about the contacts reaction when contacted, some abused her but a lot were very apologetic, upset even.
    Probably annoyed at being caught, not at risking peoples lives

You would expect.

Hospitalisations tend to run at about 10%, so the number in hospitals could still be rising for another two weeks.

Hospitalisations tend to run at about 10%, so the number in hospitals could still be rising for another two weeks.

That’s the fear.
    Even with more experience treating patients icu beds are near all used up.

This is a good art showing how we are in ICU surge capacity and how much pressure the system is under:
    https://www.thejournal.ie/explainer-icu-surge-5328160-Jan2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Rang a galvanising place in limerick to be told the pillars I dropped in before Christmas can't be collected unless I can prove its necessary work. They told me to check on gov.ie and check list there. They want a letter then from the farmer (me) outlining how it is essential . :eek:

Fook this going to be the longest time ever for a simple shed.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Rang a galvanising place in limerick to be told the pillars I dropped in before Christmas can't be collected unless I can prove its necessary work. They told me to check on gov.ie and check list there. They want a letter then from the farmer (me) outlining how it is essential . :eek:

Fook this going to be the longest time ever for a simple shed.

Ha Patsy I feel your pain,
    I dug out for my shed in the first week of April. The boys are here today welding on the hinges for the doors. Ten months later.
    Couldn't get steel, then couldn't get tin, then couldn't get anything galvanised. Between Brexit and Covid disrupting everything I'm told I'm lucky to even have it finished.
    Have a mate who started building a shed the same time as me. He's still waiting on his roof tin. I ordered Green, he ordered Grey/blue and apparently it can't be got for love or money.
    I had to lamb the early lambers at Christmas in it without doors and housed the doubles after scanning on Saturday as I had nowhere else for them. Thought I would be finished it in July and as for the internal barriers, no idea when I'll ever get them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm at mine since last August. Was flying it till covid hit. A complete cowboy wired the place here. All outside sheds, garage and plugs in kitchen all wired back to single 16amp fuse on old style fuse board. If there's nobody in the house, I can weld away, but since covid, not a hope. Borrowed a genny welder from a neighbour and it wouldn't weld butter. Convined everyone in the house to give me an hour to weld, by not plugging in anything.
    Told at galvanisers then there was a month leadtime and now this. I dunno.......

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Advertisement