Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

93 deaths today, 3 of them from December and 1 under investigation. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's a terrible way to actually measure our relaxing of restrictions through December.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Water John wrote: »
    It's a terrible way to actually measure our relaxing of restrictions through December.

There'll be people feeling fairly sick over these deaths

wrangler wrote: »
    There'll be people feeling fairly sick over these deaths

Ah but shur, 'we were getting very tired of restrictions'.
    It's a pity, esp when we could see the end game coming.

Water John wrote: »
    Ah but shur, 'we were getting very tired of restrictions'.
    It's a pity, esp when we could see the end game coming.

Can you imagine knowing you caused a death

• Advertisement

At least the cases are coming down. Had a lad helping me today. He's the same age as me. He hadn't gone anywhere since before Christmas. The furthest he went was to bring his bin down to the end of his lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

whelan2 wrote: »
    At least the cases are coming down. Had a lad helping me today. He's the same age as me. He hadn't gone anywhere since before Christmas. The furthest he went was to bring his bin down to the end of his lane.

No idea what age you (or he) are but that cannot be good for someone no matter how young or old they are.

No idea what age you (or he) are but that cannot be good for someone no matter how young or old they are.

He said it was great to talk to another person face to face apart from his wife and mother in law

He said it was great to talk to another person face to face apart from his wife and mother in law

Can I ask what had him like that,assuming he aint 80 plus with a bad heart ?
    Presuming he is neither of the above would it not strike you as a little extreme ?
    Think I said it before but the only differences all this since last March has had on me is young lad at home from school,wearing mask when in a shop and no pub open for a pint at night.Anyone I know is just working away ,going shopping,stopping for a chat on the road etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Can I ask what had him like that,assuming he aint 80 plus with a bad heart ?
    Presuming he is neither of the above would it not strike you as a little extreme ?
    Think I said it before but the only differences all this since last March has had on me is young lad at home from school,wearing mask when in a shop and no pub open for a pint at night.Anyone I know is just working away ,going shopping,stopping for a chat on the road etc etc

Ive a friend the same age as myeelf (25) who hasnt left the house only for work the last 6 months or so, hes ina real bad way wound up by the virus now im not much better myself but i was heading to the gyms while they were open and would have to do my own weekly shop unlike him as well as the fact im working with a good sized group of lads while its only himself and the farmer where he is.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

The mother in law would have health issues. She lives with them. So assume they are protecting her. They would be very cautious people anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

No matter all that it's still better than death.

Have a granduncles funeral tomorrow who had covid in the last couple of weeks.
    His wife atm has/had it too and is not the greatest atm.
    We'll have to watch the funeral on the television tomorrow.
    He was completely with it in mind better than any twenty year old up to his death.

Covid is all around the area here and where my granduncle lived.
    I've heard reports of a family tested positive for covid near me with the wife coughing badly atm and the husband in the last few days going to work in a factory.
    Now that to me should be illegal. The employer and employee should be fined seriously. People just don't care.

We are at a point where it's weeks or at most months away from being opened up again with vaccinations underway.

If ye''ll keep up the precautions just for a little while longer ye''ll save lives. It's that simple and serious.
    Don't be the prick. Not now at this juncture.

No matter all that it's still better than death.

Have a granduncles funeral tomorrow who had covid in the last couple of weeks.
    His wife atm has/had it too and is not the greatest atm.
    We'll have to watch the funeral on the television tomorrow.
    He was completely with it in mind better than any twenty year old up to his death.

Covid is all around the area here and where my granduncle lived.
    I've heard reports of a family tested positive for covid near me with the wife coughing badly atm and the husband in the last few days going to work in a factory.
    Now that to me should be illegal. The employer and employee should be fined seriously. People just don't care.

We are at a point where it's weeks or at most months away from being opened up again with vaccinations underway.

If ye''ll keep up the precautions just for a little while longer ye''ll save lives. It's that simple and serious.
    Don't be the prick. Not now at this juncture.

To me not talking or seeing anyone for a month or two would be worse than death.What sort of a life is that unless you are that way inclined.

To me not talking or seeing anyone for a month or two would be worse than death.What sort of a life is that unless you are that way inclined.

But it's not your choice to visit it on someone else.

You'd think that now.

It's a different story when it visits your family and neighbours and you have to watch their funeral on the television and the best you can do is put a quote on rip.ie.

Imagine thinking it was me brought it home from somewhere having the craic or just because you never washed your hands or wore that mask properly.

This is the most critical part of the year.
    You don't want to be that eejit that gets shot on the last day of the war.

You'd think that now.

It's a different story when it visits your family and neighbours and you have to watch their funeral on the television and the best you can do is put a quote on rip.ie.

Imagine thinking it was me brought it home from somewhere having the craic or just because you never washed your hands or wore that mask properly.

This is the most critical part of the year.
    You don't want to be that eejit that gets shot on the last day of the war.

Had an elderly parent who caught it in hospital.They would be a DNR but all the had was a cough for a day or 2.
    To me one of the worst aspects of all this is the "guilt" associated with it.Did I give to Johnny down the road,where did Mary catch it etc etc.
    Think its starting to drive some people a wee bit ?????, all this worrying .

All this isolating ,working from home ,PUP payment is fine and dandy until the mortgage has to be paid and the ESB bill is 4 months overdue.Fine words and all that but who will give a fcuk about you and you debts this time next year when all the media attention has switched elsewhere.

Had an elderly parent who caught it in hospital.They would be a DNR but all the had was a cough for a day or 2.
    To me one of the worst aspects of all this is the "guilt" associated with it.Did I give to Johnny down the road,where did Mary catch it etc etc.

All this isolating ,working from home ,PUP payment is fine and dandy until the mortgage has to be paid and the ESB bill is 4 months overdue.Fine words and all that but who will give a fcuk about you and you debts this time next year when all the media attention has switched elsewhere.

Well you see what's after happening after opening up for two weeks,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Ah feck it Paddy, that’s a bit flippant now surely... like, to say you put going out for a chat above being around to see old age, to see your family grow up...
    Ah no...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

450k on pup at the minute our in layman’s terms 600 odd million a month going out the door plus your normal social welfare on top of it, the fact the debt pile been raked up by the state at the minute doesn’t seem to be on the agenda is pretty unnerving

I might have had (i had) the same thought as you in the summer and Autumn last year.

But at this juncture I couldn't be further from your way of thinking.

It's folly and dangerous to be complaining of civil liberties for yourself when the vaccinations have just started.
    When the vaccinations are over and we're still in lockdown then you'll have a case and I may join you again.

But not now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I might have had (i had) the same thought as you in the summer and Autumn last year.

It's folly and dangerous to be complaining of civil liberties for yourself when the vaccinations have just started.
    When the vaccinations are over and we're still in lockdown then you'll have a case and I may join you again.

But not now.

Predicted 6 month immunity from vaccines, do you honestly think the hse is capable of vaccinating the entire population by late July in time to start rolling out the second round of vaccinations, all the while a open borders policy means imported cases of the virus will keep it in circulation, the riots in Holland/Italy over the past few days along with Germany now detaining people in camps for breaching Covid lockdown rules show the plot is well and truly been lost on all sides

But not now.

Whose complaining ?
    Like I said it has had minimal effect on my life so far.To be frankly honest haven't really minded the travel restrictions etc as have totally ignored them as have the vast majority as far as I can see.
    Lad here only an hour ago looking at a machine.He came probably 40/50 miles to view it.Have gone across the country a fair few times last year and this as looking to change a tractor.
    Today was in builders merchants for bags of cement,vets to pay a bill,into bank to lodge lamb cheque and dropped into supermarket for milk and smokes on way home.All that this morning.
    Went to collect bulk meal this afternoon and called into a lad to look at a fencing job on the way home.Hand sanitiser was scarce in a few places.
    Edited; Forgot to mention was in two siblings houses along with the home place today.
    Am I on the naughty list?

On a more serious note civil liberties are more important than people think.See idiots looking for martial law,curfew, suspension of the constitution and more because of Covid .Never wish your rights away as this pandemic should be gone soon.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Predicted 6 month immunity from vaccines, do you honestly think the hse is capable of vaccinating the entire population by late July in time to start rolling out the second round of vaccinations, all the while a open borders policy means imported cases of the virus will keep it in circulation, the riots in Holland/Italy over the past few days along with Germany now detaining people in camps for breaching Covid lockdown rules show the plot is well and truly been lost on all sides

The Germans have a bit of previous re. camps.

Ah feck it Paddy, that’s a bit flippant now surely... like, to say you put going out for a chat above being around to see old age, to see your family grow up...
    Ah no...

Its all a matter of proportion really.If I thought the risk outweighed the pleasure then no.But if you were to worry about things that much you would stay at home locked in a room 24/7.
    Life is all a risk really but this has turned people into the most risk averse zombies imaginable.Real civil service health and safety mentality.

Agree that perhaps my attitude/opinion is not the majority view on here so thats why I have rarely commented but its one formed by my life experiences.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    They can't give a timeline of immunity from the vaccines yet. It could be a year. It could be two or three years. It could even be decades. And every different vaccine will have different results.

Are they not requiring from travellers a clear covid test here now before entry to the state?

If we mind our own business we'll be ...better.

Whose complaining ?
    Like I said it has had minimal effect on my life so far.To be frankly honest haven't really minded the travel restrictions etc as have totally ignored them as have the vast majority as far as I can see.
    Lad here only an hour ago looking at a machine.He came probably 40/50 miles to view it.Have gone across the country a fair few times last year and this as looking to change a tractor.
    Today was in builders merchants for bags of cement,vets to pay a bill,into bank to lodge lamb cheque and dropped into supermarket for milk and smokes on way home.All that this morning.
    Went to collect bulk meal this afternoon and called into a lad to look at a fencing job on the way home.Hand sanitiser was scarce in a few places.
    Edited; Forgot to mention was in two siblings houses along with the home place today.
    Am I on the naughty list?

On a more serious note civil liberties are more important than people think.See idiots looking for martial law,curfew, suspension of the constitution and more because of Covid .Never wish your rights away as this pandemic should be gone soon.

Most definitely.

You asked.
    I answered.

Most definitely.

You asked.
    I answered.

It's no thanks to the likes of me , no need to move out , but relations are on the front line and are taking all the precautions, husbands have moved out of home because of their dealings with the public , front line workers have isolated, Farmers above all are least affected and should be taking all the precautions.
    I talk to people every day on my walks....2 mtrs apart

I assume the discharges from hospital include deaths?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Indeed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

There would be a fairly high portion of deaths who were never hospitalized to begin with. Don't think we get that figure though

Advertisement