Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I know 3 people now that have been tested. All different families and no interaction recently. One result back and clear.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

whelan2 wrote: »
    Neighbour got back from Spain on Saturday night. Out walking the roads today. She had pneumonia a few months ago. Should she not be self isolating?

Without a shadow of doubt

UK on total lockdown now. Long way from the Herd Immunity they were talking about a while back.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I know several people urgently awaiting tests since early last week - bl**dy joke if that whats happening across the board!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

whelan2 wrote: »
    Neighbour got back from Spain on Saturday night. Out walking the roads today. She had pneumonia a few months ago. Should she not be self isolating?

She can go for a walk as long as she stays apart and isolates for 14 days. Those rules may change soon. Actually think like you that she should simply stay home.

They have said there is a delay in testing as they ramp up locations and labs. You just self isolate until you're tested. The testing is to track contacts but it's nearly gone beyond that. Remember in the UK, they wouldn't bother testing you, so we don't have any idea of the spread of the virus there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Birdnuts wrote: »
    I know several people urgently awaiting tests since early last week - bl**dy joke if that whats happening across the board!!:mad:

40000 waiting and we’re doing 2000 a day.

Shocking to see trump tweeting about relaxing the social distancing they have.

He’s worried the cure is worse than the disease.

He’s so not the president they need during this crisis. His inaction and poor decisions will cost thousands of lives while his rescue package will just make billionaires out of millionaires.

Their country is being destroyed firstly because they let the idiot get elected and secondly considering all the god damn guns they have not one person has shot the cnut.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

_Brian wrote: »
    Shocking to see trump tweeting about relaxing the social distancing they have.

He’s worried the cure is worse than the disease.

He’s so not the president they need during this crisis. His inaction and poor decisions will cost thousands of lives while his rescue package will just make billionaires out of millionaires.

Their country is being destroyed firstly because they let the idiot get elected and secondly considering all the god damn guns they have not one person has shot the cnut.

If ya **** on your own door step, don't be complaining if the place starts to stink. No more than our neighbours. Far cry from Obama and Cameron a few yrs back.

Child here in a local childcare place tested positive. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I thought childcare places were closed?

• Advertisement

See they found the virus living after 17 days on surfaces in two cruise ships.

Scary lengths of time to allow reinfection.

Sorry have heard since that the child hasn't been in the childcare center in weeks. She is positive though, back from her holidays up the country some where. The person that told me all this, has a child in the same childcare and their child is waiting to be tested.

Obviously there is a phenomenal financial package being thrown at the workforce and business to keep money in people’s pockets and keep employers linked to business.

I’ve a small niggle that this is very early to be throwing so much money out as SW payments. If we’re facing what the IMF are saying a deep worldwide recession are we blowing our purse out early, how long can this level of spending last??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Obviously there is a phenomenal financial package being thrown at the workforce and business to keep money in people’s pockets and keep employers linked to business.

I’ve a small niggle that this is very early to be throwing so much money out as SW payments. If we’re facing what the IMF are saying a deep worldwide recession are we blowing our purse out early, how long can this level of spending last??

Interest rates are negative so should be borrowed cheaply at least. David McWilliams made a good point that banks could refinance there entire books and knock 0.5 % off all loans without affecting their margin. They should do it without even refinancing but that's a different argument

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

UK on total lockdown now. Long way from the Herd Immunity they were talking about a while back.

Not surprised that the "Herd Immunity" experiment failed.
    Johnson is a clown prompted at all times by Cummings.

We're looking at an ECB run marshall type plan to kickstart eurozone econmies id guess

And id be somewhat suprised if corp tax isnt ramped up and some from of wealth tax brought in to pay for all this

Prince Charles has the virus. Nobody is safe.

You had the papers in the UK two weeks trying to set up Prince Harry as the fall guy if the Queen got it, because he had been some place.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

The 40,000 now have to reapply for testing. Only those with multiple symptoms and are or living with a vulnerable person or health care worker or living with a positive are going to be tested.

We do not have the resources for this and we are just flying by the seat of our pants from here on...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

alps wrote: »
    The 40,000 now have to reapply for testing. Only those with multiple symptoms and are or living with a vulnerable person or health care worker or living with a positive are going to be tested.

We do not have the resources for this and we are just flying by the seat of our pants from here on...

Leo and his big dramatic, war-time address have made things worse. He exploited the fact that people were looking for some reassurance and told them Ireland was fighting back, despite the fact that our health service is poorly managed and can barely cope in a regular winter if there are high numbers of people with flu.

He knew that at the time but he failed to deliver a message that would have prepared people so there wouldn't be further unrest now as the reality hits home.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Was this always not going to be about priorities / triage?

Highest priority people get admitted to hospital, highest priority people get tested first...

There isn’t enough (test) resources or probably tests to test everyone immediately...

As for the health service - it’s the health service we have, we can’t do much to change it now. :(
    Having said that, if people act the bollox, and spread it around not giving a damn, then wouldn’t any health service be overrun? I think the government are doing good enough on their attempts to curb the spread...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Suckler

Prince Charles has the virus. Nobody is safe.

Any wonder?!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGU5XvzjwRE

Was this always not going to be about priorities / triage?

Highest priority people get admitted to hospital, highest priority people get tested first...

There isn’t enough (test) resources or probably tests to test everyone immediately...

As for the health service - it’s the health service we have, we can’t do much to change it now. :(
    Having said that, if people act the bollox, and spread it around not giving a damn, then wouldn’t any health service be overrun? I think the government are doing good enough on their attempts to curb the spread...

There’s only need to test the priority groups.
    Everyone else that has symptoms isolated at home and for five days after symptoms are gone. If they start to feel poorly then back on to GP. Even if they test positive the result will be the.same isolate !

By moving testing to priority people we are keeping medical staff safe and identifying at risk people gets them the help they need quicker.

I think they are doing well across the bord, there are some bits I’d question but overall I’d support them.

The crazy thing is, it is still spreading as we speak. From what I have seen people are not keeping the safe distance. Older people are, younger people are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,547 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

alps wrote: »

As the US , the Dutch, the UK are going to let it run its course and poorer countries are unable to cope we have to go for controlled herd immunity. This is not ideal but if we roll it back we might be in a worse position than if we can control numbers and achieve a level of herd immunity. China cannot open its borders and neither can some other countries.

On the health service it makes little difference whether you had 90% or 110% capacity pre virus as if you get overwhelmed you will have a high causality rate anyways that may well accelerate more and more as your cases over capacity gap widens. This is the issue that countries that took no action may face.

The HSE must use it resources wisely and control the outcome now. We need to protect our nurses and doctors as there is a limited number of them and we need to keep as many as possible on the front line. We may well have to let those that will have minor cases manage the outcome themselves. The whole point now is to manage the virus. We were running at a 3% positive testing rare, therefore we were testing too many people. They have reconfigured the testing criteria as they should have

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,972 ✭✭✭endainoz

As the US , the Dutch, the UK are going to let it run its course and poorer countries are unable to cope we have to go for controlled herd immunity. This is not ideal but if we roll it back we might be in a worse position than if we can control numbers and achieve a level of herd immunity. China cannot open its borders and neither can some other countries.

On the health service it makes little difference whether you had 90% or 110% capacity pre virus as if you get overwhelmed you will have a high causality rate anyways that may well accelerate more and more as your cases over capacity gap widens. This is the issue that countries that took no action may face.

The HSE must use it resources wisely and control the outcome now. We need to protect our nurses and doctors as there is a limited number of them and we need to keep as many as possible on the front line. We may well have to let those that will have minor cases manage the outcome themselves. The whole point now is to manage the virus. We were running at a 3% positive testing rare, therefore we were testing too many people. They have reconfigured the testing criteria as they should have

The UK hospitals ICUs will be full by next week they warned about it yesterday. People need to stop pushing this "herd immunity" narrative. It has no proof whatsoever and is a dangerous idea. The criteria change isn't because we were testing too many people, it's because the wait for higher priority cases for a test was too long. Tests are actually increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Spoke to one of those isolating since last week waiting on a test and told today that he wont have a test now. He's one of the good guys and is going to see out his isolation, but realistically, how many are going to do it?

I reckon we'll have a heap of positives on the loose...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

How long are we looking ar until businesses get up and running again?

• Advertisement

Things would probably be loosened gradually. I wouldn't be looking at any thing less then the end of May or into June.
    Another point is if there will be a viable option of testing for antigens, then those that have had it and cured could go back to work. UK seem to be actively looking at this option.

Advertisement