Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The deaths figures are taken from deaths reported to deaths & marriages offices so contain all deaths.

It isn’t a current accurate figure because families have 3 months to notify a death, some do it immediately, some wait until the last minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Watching the BBC news there with a report from a covid ward.

It was showing six nurses proning a patient.
    That is wrapping the patient in the sheets and turning them on their chests to aid their breathing.

A bit crude and agricultural but the farmer in me is wondering why a turnover crate can't be developed to aid the process and nurses and patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They do have some tilt bed for patients who have had back surgery. I don't know the answer to your Q, must check the family on it.
    BTW see that the oxygen delivered is hot and humid, not very comfortable for those who are awake, in the general wards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

That is wrapping the patient in the sheets and turning them on their chests to aid their breathing.

A bit crude and agricultural but the farmer in me is wondering why a turnover crate can't be developed to aid the process and nurses and patient.
    When I was in hospital as a teenager with neck injuries after a car accident I was in a special bed called a stryker bed. I had to be turned/rotated 4 or 5 times every 24 hours. Basically they put a replica bed on top of me which was clipped into place and rotated so I was either lying on my tummy or my back. The mechanism got jammed once during a rotation and I started to slide out between the two beds. I can still remember the shouts and screams from the nurses calling for help.

Stryker have a manufacturing facility in Carrigtowhill, Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Its all a matter of proportion really.If I thought the risk outweighed the pleasure then no.But if you were to worry about things that much you would stay at home locked in a room 24/7.
    Life is all a risk really but this has turned people into the most risk averse zombies imaginable.Real civil service health and safety mentality.

Agree that perhaps my attitude/opinion is not the majority view on here so thats why I have rarely commented but its one formed by my life experiences.

I had the virus myself caught it over Christmas from a relative home from college.
    The symptoms were mild but it’s not something you want to get. Lost my sense of taste and smell for a full week had plenty of anxiety of if it would ever come back. Food tasted like rubber while I had it. Thankfully the taste came back but my sense of smell is no where near as good as what it was. I could literally smell nothing. Sprayed aftershave on my wrist to test it daily and literally nothing. It’s back a bit now 3 weeks from testing positive but some people never get it back. And that’s classified as mild symptoms. Losing one of your senses. So I would advise anyone young or old or vulnerable whatever avoid like the plague. Obviously we know the mortality risk but even a mild case will cause significant distress both physical and mental. Feeding the cattle was the most I could do everyday and your worried that your condition could worsen. And isolating for 14 days is no fun either. A few more months of restrictions and retaining your full 5 senses is better than risking losing one carrying on as if it’s nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Water John wrote: »
    Stryker have a manufacturing facility in Carrigtowhill, Cork.

They're in Limerick too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

20silkcut wrote: »
    I had the virus myself caught it over Christmas from a relative home from college.
    The symptoms were mild but it’s not something you want to get. Lost my sense of taste and smell for a full week had plenty of anxiety of if it would ever come back. Food tasted like rubber while I had it. Thankfully the taste came back but my sense of smell is no where near as good as what it was. I could literally smell nothing. Sprayed aftershave on my wrist to test it daily and literally nothing. It’s back a bit now 3 weeks from testing positive but some people never get it back. And that’s classified as mild symptoms. Losing one of your senses. So I would advise anyone young or old or vulnerable whatever avoid like the plague. Obviously we know the mortality risk but even a mild case will cause significant distress both physical and mental. Feeding the cattle was the most I could do everyday and your worried that your condition could worsen. And isolating for 14 days is no fun either. A few more months of restrictions and retaining your full 5 senses is better than risking losing one carrying on as if it’s nothing.

Thx for sharing that Silkcut. Hope you make a 100% recovery.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Thanks for letting us know 20sc. Do you still feel weak after it, anybody else catch it in the family? Christmas really was a disaster for spreading it, people bringing it 'home' is very common.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭20silkcut

blue5000 wrote: »
    Thanks for letting us know 20sc. Do you still feel weak after it, anybody else catch it in the family? Christmas really was a disaster for spreading it, people bringing it 'home' is very common.

Felt weak when I had it. No where near 100%.
    Got dizzy one evening forking in a bit of silage. If I pushed on any bit at all could feel a headache coming on.
    Grand now back to normal again except for the sense of smell is not back 100%. Losing that is no joke it’s a pretty important sense for a farmer or anyone.

No one else caught it in the house thank god no. Was confined to my room and had my own entrance out to the back yard.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

My sister in the states and her son got it too. Headache and sore throat was their main symptoms. Long covid is a different illness altogether.:(

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

See there are fears now that the SA variant may be resistant to vaccines.

A lesson to all those who would say herd immunity and let it run its course. The more hosts any virus passes through the more chances a virus gets to mutate into something more sinister.

Got dizzy one evening forking in a bit of silage. If I pushed on any bit at all could feel a headache coming on.
    Grand now back to normal again except for the sense of smell is not back 100%. Losing that is no joke it’s a pretty important sense for a farmer or anyone.

No one else caught it in the house thank god no. Was confined to my room and had my own entrance out to the back yard.

Hopefully you will be back to your old self soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

_Brian wrote: »

A lesson to all those who would say herd immunity and let it run its course. The more hosts any virus passes through the more chances a virus gets to mutate into something more sinister.

There is a line of thinking that these new variants are being created by the antibody therapies as they give more intense selection pressure over a much longer period than would naturally occur without them.
    Other common coronavirus strains only tend to show much genetic variation where they are continuously moving between species. Otherwise they tend to not change much over long periods of time.
    These changes could very much be overhyped also. Nobody really knows what effects genetic differences actually have in the real world.
    We've still yet to see actual evidence that the uk strain was more transmissable...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

This is hardly a surprise surely ?, look at drug resistant bacteria evolving from antibiotic use wont the same happen if we succeed in getting rid of covid-19?? or do viruses mutate randomly ? Will farmers of the future pay a price for our attempts to get rid of BVD now by cattle being unexposed ?

Well, I asked the Q from, she who must be obeyed. Two reasons, the Stryker bed is narrow but mainly because each patient would have different tubes attached to diff places. She said it's quite simple with one giving the orders.

Get well soon

This is hardly a surprise surely ?, look at drug resistant bacteria evolving from antibiotic use wont the same happen if we succeed in getting rid of covid-19?? or do viruses mutate randomly ? Will farmers of the future pay a price for our attempts to get rid of BVD now by cattle being unexposed ?

Viruses just want to replicate amd get better at replicating. They constantly mutate in attempts to get better at replicating. Mostly the mutations come to nothing amd even kill off the virus in question.

But it’s a game of statistics really, the more hosts we allow it pass through the more opportunities to mutate we provide. Additionally it may get to hosts carrying other viruses that it can combine with for major leaps on its evolution, this is particularly the case with transmission to and from animals. Bit unnecessary transmission between humans poses a massive risk to us all.

I said before, if this virus had gained its super spreading ability which it has, and the mortality of mers we would be in a terrible place. Amd that’s just luck, the wrong roll of the dice and were screwed.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Whose complaining ?
    Like I said it has had minimal effect on my life so far.To be frankly honest haven't really minded the travel restrictions etc as have totally ignored them as have the vast majority as far as I can see.
    Lad here only an hour ago looking at a machine.He came probably 40/50 miles to view it.Have gone across the country a fair few times last year and this as looking to change a tractor.
    Today was in builders merchants for bags of cement,vets to pay a bill,into bank to lodge lamb cheque and dropped into supermarket for milk and smokes on way home.All that this morning.
    Went to collect bulk meal this afternoon and called into a lad to look at a fencing job on the way home.Hand sanitiser was scarce in a few places.
    Edited; Forgot to mention was in two siblings houses along with the home place today.
    Am I on the naughty list?

On a more serious note civil liberties are more important than people think.See idiots looking for martial law,curfew, suspension of the constitution and more because of Covid .Never wish your rights away as this pandemic should be gone soon.

Forget the idiots. The problem is that our hospitals ICUs are now close to being overrun. Hospital staff numbers are down due to many becoming infecteced.

Cases are up all over the country. Ditto deaths.

Just pray someone you know doesn't end up in hospital.

And thats why people are being asked to keep to the restrictions.

Anyone who doesn't has their heads stuck in the sand.

Viruses just want to replicate amd get better at replicating. They constantly mutate in attempts to get better at replicating. Mostly the mutations come to nothing amd even kill off the virus in question.

But it’s a game of statistics really, the more hosts we allow it pass through the more opportunities to mutate we provide. Additionally it may get to hosts carrying other viruses that it can combine with for major leaps on its evolution, this is particularly the case with transmission to and from animals. Bit unnecessary transmission between humans poses a massive risk to us all.

I said before, if this virus had gained its super spreading ability which it has, and the mortality of mers we would be in a terrible place. Amd that’s just luck, the wrong roll of the dice and were screwed.

I find the most concerning thing about this pandemic isn't Covid, but people's behaviour. I have to wonder when the next thing that comes at us in the future is worse, or more effective at killing us, what then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I find the most concerning thing about this pandemic isn't Covid, but people's behaviour. I have to wonder when the next thing that comes at us in the future is worse, or more effective at killing us, what then.

I posted about this on another forum but a local lad has been very vocal on Facebook about covid being a scam, dont get vaccinated, dont wear a mask type of crap. His dad got covid and his uncle is in hospital with it. All the posts have been removed by him. Asshole

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Talking to a guy here on the farm that was working for a contractor cutting for the ESB. He asked me would I get the vaccine when its available. Said he had 2 sons and both said they wouldn't take it.
    People must be worried about the side effects.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Talking to a guy here on the farm that was working for a contractor cutting for the ESB. He asked me would I get the vaccine when its available. Said he had 2 sons and both said they wouldn't take it.
    People must be worried about the side effects.

Why wouldn't they?

I haven't heard of any side effects?

gozunda wrote: »
    Forget the idiots. The problem is that our hospitals ICUs are now close to being overrun. Hospital staff numbers are down due to many becoming infecteced.

Cases are up all over the country. Ditto deaths.

Just pray someone you know doesn't end up in hospital.

And thats why people are being asked to keep to the restrictions.

Anyone who doesn't has their heads stuck in the sand.

Selfish cnuts have them stuffed up their arse in fairness. Running about like there wasn’t a care on anyone. Sickening thing is it’s those fighting not to get it providing care to the sock that end up suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Why wouldn't they?

It's the history of the thalidomide babies born in this country.
    I think that's what's in people's minds when medics recommend something that absolutely has to be taken.
    There's also the Facebook element of vaccines being blamed for autism.
    But the daddy I'd say in people's minds is the thalidomide.

Nobody shoot me as I'm not a medic and can't give an opinion but you asked Dinzee why not and that's the best answer I can think of what could be going through people's minds.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,942 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Why wouldn't they?

You might be a bit miserable for day or two after each dose and need to take it easy...
    but nothing compared to what can happen if you get the thing itself.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

whelan2 wrote: »
    I posted about this on another forum but a local lad has been very vocal on Facebook about covid being a scam, dont get vaccinated, dont wear a mask type of crap. His dad got covid and his uncle is in hospital with it. All the posts have been removed by him. Asshole

I was picking up some feed at the merchants during the week, local fella I don't have much time for was in there, no mask, blowing on about how he doesn't believe in Covid. Was talking to a mate outside and we came to the same conclusion, someone belonging to him will have to die to convince the fool.

I would acknowledge people would need assurances on any new medicine/vaccine. Thalidomide was a medication and indeed got through the checking system. Don't remember any vaccine that has caused serious illness. There has been untrue claims on occasion over the years, MMR etc.

As I have said before, no one working on the front line of this virus has declined taking the vaccine. There are no major side effects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

It's the history of the thalidomide babies born in this country.
    I think that's what's in people's minds when medics recommend something that absolutely has to be taken.
    There's also the Facebook element of vaccines being blamed for autism.
    But the daddy I'd say in people's minds is the thalidomide.

Nobody shoot me as I'm not a medic and can't give an opinion but you asked Dinzee why not and that's the best answer I can think of what could be going through people's minds.

Apprehension is understandable with new hurried vaccines.
    However, the alternative is not attractive.

Advertisement