Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It's the history of the thalidomide babies born in this country.
    I think that's what's in people's minds when medics recommend something that absolutely has to be taken.
    There's also the Facebook element of vaccines being blamed for autism.
    But the daddy I'd say in people's minds is the thalidomide.

Nobody shoot me as I'm not a medic and can't give an opinion but you asked Dinzee why not and that's the best answer I can think of what could be going through people's minds.

Ah, I don’t think so - sure that was 50 years ago or more wasn’t it?
    We have all gotten vaccinations since then as kids, and our kids have gotten vaccinations too...

Wait a minute - wasn’t thalidomide an anti sickness medication prescribed to pregnant mothers which helped with morning sickness? I didn’t think it was a vaccine at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Apprehension is understandable with new hurried vaccines.
    However, the alternative is not attractive.

I'd agree though the government can't make it mandatory. As if it did and there was a proven link in the future it'd bankrupt any government in claims.
    If a relatively healthy human that may have children in the future declines the vaccine then everyone else should respect their decision too.
    It was barely a few years ago that science found out what was occurring with thalidomide. They knew it was doing something but they hadn't the science.
    Turns out in the end it was to do with in vitro t cell activation and inflammation.

I have every assurance though that science has evolved since the 60's.

Ah, I don’t think so - sure that was 50 years ago or more wasn’t it?
    We have all gotten vaccinations since then as kids, and our kids have gotten vaccinations too...

Wait a minute - wasn’t thalidomide an anti sickness medication prescribed to pregnant mothers which helped with morning sickness? I didn’t think it was a vaccine at all?

What made you think it was a vaccine?

It was prescribed for morning sickness and depression by doctors.

I should have posted nothing Dinzee and left you in ignorance or let you go to Facebook. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It's the history of the thalidomide babies born in this country.
    I think that's what's in people's minds when medics recommend something that absolutely has to be taken.
    There's also the Facebook element of vaccines being blamed for autism.
    But the daddy I'd say in people's minds is the thalidomide.

Nobody shoot me as I'm not a medic and can't give an opinion but you asked Dinzee why not and that's the best answer I can think of what could be going through people's minds.

Definitely damaged vaccines reputations. Although I read somewhere that thalidomide was never trialled at all before it was implemented.

While yes it wasn’t a vaccine it’s me more is treated the same.

Every vaccine carries tiny risk, they are so widely implemented that all side effects are seen over time including deaths. But vaccination programs overall are a massive public health boon.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The false claims about MMR vaccine would be more in recent times and vaccinations of children had gradually dropped in the last 20 years mainly because of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,981 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I was picking up some feed at the merchants during the week, local fella I don't have much time for was in there, no mask, blowing on about how he doesn't believe in Covid. Was talking to a mate outside and we came to the same conclusion, someone belonging to him will have to die to convince the fool.

There was a fella doing a bit of work for me in my yard at the end of last summer, now this man is well informed and a highly intelligent man, we got onto the topic of covid, his view was it was'nt serious at all, it was all blown out of proportion and covid was fairly harmless.
    I stood in front of him with my mouth open, just absolutely astonished this well clued in fella would come out with such nonsense.

There's all types that believe it, if these people would only do some research for themselves data and science would reveal that it is indeed very serious, i don't hear too much from the "let it rip" crowd lately since our hospitals are at breaking point, infections are out of control and sadly many people are dying, maybe it's started to sink in for a few of those people.
    Many of those that have died from covid were carefull and abided by sensible rules to limit their exposure, unfortunately there are a lot of ****ing selfish idiots who are above rules and regulations that bring sickness and death to so many.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

What made you think it was a vaccine?

It was prescribed for morning sickness and depression by doctors.

I should have posted nothing Dinzee and left you in ignorance or let you go to Facebook. :D

Well, we were talking about vaccines and side effects...

I think doctors used to prescribe leeches and mercury if you want to go back further... :)

I remembered thalidomide as I know a cancer patient was trying to get it for sickness during chemo - but they couldn’t, due to its history... apparently it could have been useful in their situation...

Well, we were talking about vaccines and side effects...

I think doctors used to prescribe leeches and mercury if you want to go back further... :)

I remembered thalidomide as I know a cancer patient was trying to get it for sickness during chemo - but they couldn’t, due to its history... apparently it could have been useful in their situation...

Patsy was wondering why two young gassuns would not automatically take a vaccine.
    They probably read about leeches too..
    Cork ones for ya! :)

Sorry to hear of your acquaintance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I'd agree though the government can't make it mandatory. As if it did and there was a proven link in the future it'd bankrupt any government in claims.
    If a relatively healthy human that may have children in the future declines the vaccine then everyone else should respect their decision too.
    It was barely a few years ago that science found out what was occurring with thalidomide. They knew it was doing something but they hadn't the science.
    Turns out in the end it was to do with in vitro t cell activation and inflammation.

I have every assurance though that science has evolved since the 60's.

Have you heard how much the government have indemnified Pzifer for???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

I was picking up some feed at the merchants during the week, local fella I don't have much time for was in there, no mask, blowing on about how he doesn't believe in Covid. Was talking to a mate outside and we came to the same conclusion, someone belonging to him will have to die to convince the fool.

This.

People ,esp online here and elsewhere seem to have a very black and white, "your with me or agin me " attitude regarding covid.
    You can have the opinion its not as serious as some think without being a " covid denier"

I know its real , I wear a mask ( although not convinced what I stick on whilst running into the shop is very effective ) etc etc.
    On the other hand we have all heard / read of the healthy 40 year old with no " underlying condition " who died after 2 days but anyone I know who supposedly died of covid was not exactly either in the first bloom of youth or in anything approaching good health.
    My feeling is that its an reactive cover my ass approach where those in charge of dealing with the issue are more worried about perception and possible recriminations rather than taking a proactive approach in proportion to thr risk.
    Like I said that's my opinion and most likely not the majority consensus online but then again its like Trump etc, its an all or nothing opinion, you either are a believer or a heretic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

gozunda wrote: »
    Forget the idiots. The problem is that our hospitals ICUs are now close to being overrun. Hospital staff numbers are down due to many becoming infecteced.

Cases are up all over the country. Ditto deaths.

Just pray someone you know doesn't end up in hospital.

And thats why people are being asked to keep to the restrictions.

Anyone who doesn't has their heads stuck in the sand.

Thing is that nobody I know personally or in my wider family or circle of acquaintances has been in hospital with covid.Nobody in my immediate family or friends has had covid ie tested positive for it apart from a parent who contacted it in hospital.
    Between spouse ,siblings and in laws there are 12 of us with only 3 working from home and 2 of those are farmers.All the rest are / were working without interruption since all this began.3 of those are frontline medical so either we are very lucky or a statistical anomaly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thing is that nobody I know personally or in my wider family or circle of acquaintances has been in hospital with covid.Nobody in my immediate family or friends has had covid ie tested positive for it apart from a parent who contacted it in hospital.
    Between spouse ,siblings and in laws there are 12 of us with only 3 working from home and 2 of those are farmers.All the rest are / were working without interruption since all this began.3 of those are frontline medical so either we are very lucky or a statistical anomaly

Any one that abides by the restrictions improves their chances of avoiding it exponentially, I'd guess that 75% of those in hospital feel rightly ashamed of being stupid, they know where and why they got it. Belmullet is a prime example of that, the other 25% were probably providing essential services and doing their best.

I've said before I've a cousin testing in one of the most affected part of england since it started and has avoided it,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

wrangler wrote: »
    Any one that abides by the restrictions improves their chances of avoiding it exponentially, I'd guess that 75% of those in hospital feel rightly ashamed of being stupid, they know where and why they got it. Belmullet is a prime example of that, the other 25% were probably providing essential services and doing their best.

I've said before I've a cousin testing in one of the most affected part of england since it started and has avoided it,

A third of those with it in hospital caught it in there and another chunk of them were just pure unlucky. The amount in there who wouldn't have been following restrictions is probably in the minority.

The amount of healthcare workers identified as a positive or close contact is fairly massive. These are the people who are trained in washing hands and putting on masks. You're sample size of two cousins isn't very representative of what is actually going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A third of those with it in hospital caught it in there and another chunk of them were just pure unlucky. The amount in there who wouldn't have been following restrictions is probably in the minority.

The amount of healthcare workers identified as a positive or close contact is fairly massive. These are the people who are trained in washing hands and putting on masks. You're sample size of two cousins isn't very representative of what is actually going on...

You're making light of this pandemic all along, obviously you're still not convinced despite the deaths, the third that got it in hospitals are mostly staff and as I said doing their best, when you're in the face of it 10 hrs a day the odds are you'll get it, but people out in the community can do better. Locally we had very little until people starting being careless at Christmas, I even forecast it a fortnight before it went rampant, it got into the school and infected some very risky patients, people going out to parties and then sending their children to school are lousy, one family were infected by their five year old

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

In the first wave - hospitals were cleared to deal near exclusively with covid patients and to reduce risk of transmission to others

This has not been done this time for a variety of reasons. However with reduced staff numbers and increase of the number of covid positive patients - the risk of cross infection is now a significant problem.

Hospital staff also have a greater risk from contracting Covid due to dealing directly with patients and increased viral load compared to the general public. That regardless of mandatory mask wearing and hand washing by hospital staff.

As with any setting where people are congregated - rates of infection are going to increase. Thats why I said I hope people wont end up in hospital one way or the other.

Your example of those who were 'unlucky and a 'minority' not following restrictions doesn't add up either.

We can help stop the hospitals becoming overrun and reduce rates of infection by simply having a bit of cop on and common sense.

Maybe you are or otherwise. But that does not negate the rapid increase in the rate of infection to date

[Img]https://www.hpsc.ie/media/COVID19 Daily infographic_001.png[/img]

And again the issue is not whether someone believes they are not at risk but rather that our hospitals are under severe presure an ICUs are near full

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40212059.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

gozunda wrote: »

Your example of those who were 'unlucky and a 'minority' not following restrictions doesn't add up either.

You'd think from reading on here that those in hospital are only there because they were flat out going to house parties, never wearing masks, going on foreign holidays and breaking every other restriction.
    That is simply not the case, one third of those hospitilised caught it in hospital and the vast majority of people actually do follow restrictions closely. It's more a reflection of the impossibility of creating a perfect set of guidelines to halt spread completely.
    Nowhere in the world has it been achieved but the whole cause of our problems in this country is down to that one in ten thousand who dont wear a mask while shopping, the pretty much non existant house parties, the vast amount of foreign travellers coming in every week, the people who go a little further than their 5km etc etc.

You'd think from reading on here that those in hospital are only there because they were flat out going to house parties, never wearing masks, going on foreign holidays and breaking every other restriction.
    That is simply not the case, one third of those hospitilised caught it in hospital and the vast majority of people actually do follow restrictions closely. It's more a reflection of the impossibility of creating a perfect set of guidelines to halt spread completely.
    Nowhere in the world has it been achieved but the whole cause of our problems in this country is down to that one in ten thousand who dont wear a mask while shopping, the pretty much non existant house parties, the vast amount of foreign travellers coming in every week, the people who go a little further than their 5km etc etc.

No. I dont get that at all. Are there some people playing fast and lose with the restrictions? Apparently there are. That's all it takes

What we also know is that at present a
    "third of patients with Covid-19 in hospital contracted the virus"* whilst in hospital.

Hospital staff and patients are catching it from other infected individuals in hospitals. As in other group settings - there is a known risk of higher rates of cross infection. The question is should we start moving non covid patients into other hospitals not dealing with Covid admissions?

The rate of community infection has also risen in the last month. That looks like its now reducing. Let's hope it keeps going that way.

*https://www.thejournal.ie/third-contracting-covid-in-hospital-varadkar-5331491-Jan2021/

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2021/0119/1190599-coronavirus-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 29,936 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Case numbers drop in response to restrictions.
    Sure you can follow the guidelines and still get it, but that's not why we have a surge and hospitals overwhelmed.

The returning emigrants seemed to have partied hard over Christmas in Belmullet alright, and I'm sure that wasn't the only place.
    People obviously didn't follow the guidelines in summer when they returned from abroad either, given the prevalence of a strain linked to Spain.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Thought I was going to have to go to casualty last night with one of the kids. To get to the kids casualty you walk through the adults one. Things would have to be very bad to consider making that trip st the moment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Case numbers drop in response to restrictions.
    Sure you can follow the guidelines and still get it, but that's not why we have a surge and hospitals overwhelmed.

The returning emigrants seemed to have partied hard over Christmas in Belmullet alright, and I'm sure that wasn't the only place.
    People obviously didn't follow the guidelines in summer when they returned from abroad either, given the prevalence of a strain linked to Spain.

Whatever strain is going we'll have it here in no time. Aircrafts flying in and out of Dublin Airport no mandatory quarantine of these passengers we are basically fcked. EU needs to get its head out of it's arse and start restricting the movement of people going on non essential travel and mandatory quarantine for everyone else. Land air and sea. Every country should really be on a war footing with this virus. With every new strain there is the potential to set back vaccine roll out by months.

This bull**** about having a PCR test and then being "advised" to quarantine is a load of bollox.

Plenty of nice hotels around the three main airports.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Whatever strain is going we'll have it here in no time. Aircrafts flying in and out of Dublin Airport no mandatory quarantine of these passengers we are basically fcked. EU needs to get its head out of it's arse and start restricting the movement of people going on non essential travel and mandatory quarantine for everyone else. Land air and sea. Every country should really be on a war footing with this virus. With every new strain there is the potential to set back vaccine roll out by months.

This bull**** about having a PCR test and then being "advised" to quarantine is a load of bollox.

Plenty of nice hotels around the three main airports.

That's our own weak Governments fault.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Enforced quarantine won’t work.

People will just fly onto Belfast and drive down the road.

We all know they will do this.

Lots of people say we should be able to do this like NZ as we’re an island. But were not a basic island nation. There’s no hope of cross border cooperation on this and doing it on our own is pointless.

_Brian wrote: »
    Enforced quarantine won’t work.

People will just fly onto Belfast and drive down the road.

We all know they will do this.

Lots of people say we should be able to do this like NZ as we’re an island. But were not a basic island nation. There’s no hope of cross border cooperation on this and doing it on our own is pointless.

EQ is what NPHET are asking for.

Remember before Christmas when they weren't listened to.

Make it plenty difficult for those folks who want to circumvent restrictions and a lot will think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Probably gonna get slated for this. Anyway here goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

wrangler wrote: »
    You're making light of this pandemic all along, obviously you're still not convinced despite the deaths, the third that got it in hospitals are mostly staff and as I said doing their best, when you're in the face of it 10 hrs a day the odds are you'll get it, but people out in the community can do better. Locally we had very little until people starting being careless at Christmas, I even forecast it a fortnight before it went rampant, it got into the school and infected some very risky patients, people going out to parties and then sending their children to school are lousy, one family were infected by their five year old

Even if all the people you gossip about were being tested twice a week every week for the past year, you still couldn't say for definite who gave it to who first so that type of talk is basically nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Even if all the people you gossip about were being tested twice a week every week for the past year, you still couldn't say for definite who gave it to who first so that type of talk is basically nonsense.

Hardly gossip when no names are being mentioned, it's not about getting the one up on someone from the town who was careless with other people's health. That behavior needs to be called out. The rest of your post is basically nonsense as you put it.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Probably gonna get slated for this. Anyway here goes.

Thumbs up from me. We need laughs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Figures came down alot today. Hopefully that's the start of an improvement. Neighbour here has gone back into hospital, he got covid at Christmas and was in hospital then. He would only be 50

Advertisement