Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Monday figures can be shaky, esp the deaths figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

whelan2 wrote: »
    Neighbour here has gone back into hospital, he got covid at Christmas and was in hospital then. He would only be 50

Heard of a case today where a woman in that age group went into hospital. Contracted covid in hospital. Never recovered and died there.

Serious serious times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

endainoz wrote: »
    Hardly gossip when no names are being mentioned, it's not about getting the one up on someone from the town who was careless with other people's health. That behavior needs to be called out. The rest of your post is basically nonsense as you put it.

It's an extremely contagious respiratory virus, even more easily transmissible than the flu.

Do you go about seeking people with "careless behaviour" to blame when someone in your house gets the flu?

Stop blaming your neighbours from behind squinting windows for something beyond anyones control. It's about as helpful as blaming your neighbours for getting TB, or
    blaming the tide for going out or the sun for coming up in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

Neddyusa wrote: »
    It's an extremely contagious respiratory virus, even more easily transmissible than the flu.

Do you go about seeking people with "careless behaviour" to blame when someone in your house gets the flu?

Stop blaming your neighbours from behind squinting windows for something beyond anyones control. It's about as helpful as blaming your neighbours for getting TB, or
    blaming the tide for going out or the sun for coming up in the morning.

I'm not sure what your on about with the flu, I never said anything like that.

I'm not seeking out anybody, nor am I blaming neighbours for anything. The guidelines are pretty simple to understand, restricting movements is the best way to stop spreading it. It's not beyond a person's control if they are careless, which is what I said earlier.

Something careless like a house party up should the road should definitely be called out. The longer that sh1te goes on, the longer this will continue. I'm sure there are plenty of doom merchants who basque in this type of misery but I'm not one of them. I just want it to be over like most level headed people.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

90 deaths today, first day under 1000 cases since Christmas eve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Iwantcoffeenai

I live in Belfast and have a private medical appointment in Dublin next week. Do the new restrictions allow me to travel? Are there checks on the M1?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I live in Belfast and have a private medical appointment in Dublin next week. Do the new restrictions allow me to travel? Are there checks on the M1?

Your allowed travel for medical reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Iwantcoffeenai

Reggie. wrote: »
    Your allowed travel for medical reasons

That's what I thought though was just worried as it's cross border travel.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

That's what I thought though was just worried as it's cross border travel.
    Just remember to bring your appointment letter or email that you can show/on your phone if you are asked to produce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Really pissed me off to see the report on RTearlier from the airport and plane load landing back from Lanzarote, it’s careless people like this that are dragging out the covid problem and then blaming government for not fixing things.

Speaking with mam and she’s very down, a neighbour she was at school with died from covid today, a young man as she’d say herself, he was 76, same as her.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Really pissed me off to see the report on RTearlier from the airport and plane load landing back from Lanzarote, it’s careless people like this that are dragging out the covid problem and then blaming government for not fixing things.

Speaking with mam and she’s very down, a neighbour she was at school with died from covid today, a young man as she’d say herself, he was 76, same as her.

What about the students coming in for learning english :eek:

What about the students coming in for learning english :eek:

Yea.
    That’s madness.
    Where are they staying??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

What is the endpoint for restrictions? Anyone want to guess?

Yea.
    That’s madness.
    Where are they staying??

I dont know, but in a normal year they would be attending secondary school.

All restrictions or just a better way of living ?

All restrictions or just a better way of living ?

A better way of living isnt possible with restrictions...

A better way of living isnt possible with restrictions...

Better than what we are in now

I dont know, but in a normal year they would be attending secondary school.

They are hardly boarding with families??

Better than what we are in now

Look at the position we are in now.
    Government increases restrictions and the reaction from media/politicians is we didn't go far enough.
    Government absolutely sh1tting themselves that they will mess up, so will take super conservative approach to loosening or reimposing restrictions.
    Too much free money being given out and not enough economic hardship.

Europes not in a much better position either to lead us out of this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Tell?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Irish lad working here lost his Dad last weekend. He was admitted to hospital before Xmas for a routine procedure, got the virus and died a few weeks later.

I’m completely browned off with restrictions now, but as a high risk candidate my choices are limited.
    Word here is that 2021 is a write off and that could include a large part of 2022. Lovely.

Restrictions aren’t designed as a way of living long term.

Restrictions are to try earn breathing space so we can cope in the short term while a system of vaccinations can be implemented and we get ourselves to a situation where we know enough about how to deal with this virus, including learning how best the vaccinations protect on both short and long term.

With restrictions suppressing infection rates we are just about coping in hospitals. Imagine the carnage if we were allowing a free for all in society. There would be massive viral loads in more and more patients causing soaring death rates and the age of the dead would continue to fall. Look to Brazil if you want to get a snapshot of what this would be like

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/14/brazil-manaus-amazonas-covid-coronavirus

Do people really think that short term restrictions, while really hard on society, aren’t better than ending up like that.

Add to the fact that more infections increases the chances of mutations which at some stage of unchecked will unleash full hell on society.

We should have guards in the airport arrivals.
    Anyone returning from Non essential travel should be hit with the top fine and brought to hotel for quarantine at their expense on top of the fine. Selfish pricks.

Irish lad working here lost his Dad last weekend. He was admitted to hospital before Xmas for a routine procedure, got the virus and died a few weeks later.

I’m completely browned off with restrictions now, but as a high risk candidate my choices are limited.
    Word here is that 2021 is a write off and that could include a large part of 2022. Lovely.

French campsites that allowed people deferr their holiday last summer are putting on massive pressure for people to book dates for this summer or loose their momey.

One of the FB groups I’m on is a U.K. camping group and they are near all booking French sites at present and many planning multiple week long tours of multiple eu countries for this summer.

Tell?

I haven't a clue, I thought people would have cracked months ago. I don't see much of a way out though if we are to stay consistent with the logic that put us into lockdown mode. Either people crack or the economy starts to, or a mixture of the two, is the only way out I can see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

I've an appointment next week to get an ultrasound on my liver. After watching Prime Time last night I'll be cancelling that appointment. There was a man on who caught covid while he was attending due to kidney problems. He was speaking with the Prime Time presenter via zoom a few days previously. His last words were something around the lines "I'm not ready to go yet". The presenter said last night he was in brought into hospital because his condition worsened. I found that heart breaking. When I get pissed off with things I snap out of it usually with the reasoning that at least I'm alive and not 6 foot under cause of this.

NcdJd wrote: »
    I've an appointment next week to get an ultrasound on my liver. After watching Prime Time last night I'll be cancelling that appointment. There was a man on who caught covid while he was attending due to kidney problems. He was speaking with the Prime Time presenter via zoom a few days previously. His last words were something around the lines "I'm not ready to go yet". The presenter said last night he was in brought into hospital because his condition worsened. I found that heart breaking. When I get pissed off with things I snap out of it usually with the reasoning that at least I'm alive and not 6 foot under cause of this.

Speaking to oh abkut the seemed increase in hospital infections. Presumed to be down to the arrival of the U.K. variant. Procedures in hospitals haven’t changed. This version is much easier transmitted.

Makes one wonder about schools returning. I expect our LC will be among first returning after special needs, not looking forward to that additional stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I haven't a clue, I thought people would have cracked months ago. I don't see much of a way out though if we are to stay consistent with the logic that put us into lockdown mode. Either people crack or the economy starts to, or a mixture of the two, is the only way out I can see

No loss on farmers anyway
    Loss of social life maybe but sure what's that,
    We'll ride this out, wait'll you see.
    We've miles available to walk with no risk.
    and can drive any where as long as we've an animal on board

Speaking to oh about the seemed increase in hospital infections. Presumed to be down to the arrival of the U.K. variant. Procedures in hospitals haven’t changed. This version is much easier transmitted.

Makes one wonder about schools returning. I expect our LC will be among first returning after special needs, not looking forward to that additional stress.

This has been going on since early December before any sign of UK variant. Back then there seemed to be a push to keep the numbers in hospital with covid lower than they really were.
    The average nurse was wearing a standard surgical mask the last few months not a high grade mask (maybe this has changed since).
    But maybe, just maybe, colds spread easier in winter. It was presumably assumed what worked in the summer would work perfectly during the winter...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

NcdJd wrote: »

I doubt if that's true, it'd be a clever person that could pinpoint where they got the virus, I've been in half a dozen hospitals, GPs and consultants in the last six months and got nothing.
    Just edited to say that I am not one to defend the Public service, but the precaution they take with non Covid patients is unreal

Advertisement