Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

wrangler wrote: »
    I doubt if that's true, it'd be a clever person that could pinpoint where they got the virus, I've been in half a dozen hospitals, GPs and consultants in the last six months and got nothing.
    Just edited to say that I am not one to defend the Public service, but the precaution they take with non Covid patients is unreal

Would the man not have to have got a pcr test before he was admitted to the ward wrangler ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

I certainly think its plausible, I had someone close to me die just before Christmas after contracting the virus in hospital. As far as I'm aware they had a test before going in and none of his very few close contacts from before have had a positive test.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Absolutely standard practice to be tested before admission and then go to either green, amber or red ward.
    Tested regular afterwards.

All frontline staff tested weekly.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

NcdJd wrote: »
    Would the man not have to have got a pcr test before he was admitted to the ward wrangler ?

You can be negative after contacting the virus and then have it two to 14 days later. This virus is a bitch
    There's people getting the virus two days after receiving the vaccine even and it's not from the vaccine.

_Brian wrote: »
    Absolutely standard practice to be tested before admission and then go to either green, amber or red ward.

You can come in with the virus and not test positive but develop it later.
    I'd blame the home before I'd blame the hospital

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

That must be only recently as a parent was admitted couple of months ago (early November from memory) and were 100% not tested on admission.
    Also have 2 siblings working as "frontline" and neither are tested weekly.
    Both work in major regional hospitals and one is about as frontline as you can be re. Covid .They have been tested once since last March and that was around Christmas when a child had a cold/sore throat and they went for a test along with their child.Both negative.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

You can come in with the virus and not test positive but develop it later.
    I'd blame the home before I'd blame the hospital

While true, it's fairly well accepted that transmission is happening within the hospitals. For the case I was talking about the chances of them getting it in hospital is considerably higher than they got it at home as the person in question was cocooning as much as possible and not mixing or traveling anywhere except the hospital.

Infection rates are high amongst hospital staff so it would hardly be surprising that a large number of patients will and have contracted the virus while in hospital.

emaherx wrote: »
    While true, it's fairly well accepted that transmission is happening within the hospitals. For the case I was talking about the chances of them getting it in hospital is considerably higher than they got it at home as the person in question was cocooning as much as possible and not mixing or traveling anywhere except the hospital.

Infection rates are high amongst hospital staff so it would hardly be surprising that a large number of patients will and have contracted the virus while in hospital.

It seems that the prime time case was brought in by one of the patients in the wards....... hope he's ashamed of himself too.
    Any time I'd have an appointment at the hospital we'd go nowhere for the couple weeks before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

No loss on farmers anyway
    Loss of social life maybe but sure what's that,
    We'll ride this out, wait'll you see.
    We've miles available to walk with no risk.
    and can drive any where as long as we've an animal on board

No loss on farmers?
    I’ve poultry houses that are going to be empty for all this year and maybe next year if things don’t open up fairly lively.
    Calves can’t be given away.
    We’ve been cut 5cpl on milk by this March. Further cuts possible is things stay as they are.
    The only good news is that cereals are buoyant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I haven't a clue, I thought people would have cracked months ago. I don't see much of a way out though if we are to stay consistent with the logic that put us into lockdown mode. Either people crack or the economy starts to, or a mixture of the two, is the only way out I can see

As I see it both the economy and public health are locked together. You can’t have one without the other.

The Dutch are rioting about curfews.
    Belgians are marching every second day.
    The French won’t/can’t lockdown again because they were too heavy handed the first time and they won’t take another one...
    Interesting times.

• Advertisement

No loss on farmers?
    I’ve poultry houses that are going to be empty for all this year and maybe next year if things don’t open up fairly lively.
    Calves can’t be given away.
    We’ve been cut 5cpl on milk by this March. Further cuts possible is things stay as they are.
    The only good news is that cereals are buoyant.

They're working away here , same as usual.

Social life, education, religion, all can be sorted later.
    But only if you're alive

They're working away here , same as usual.

Social life, education, religion, all can be sorted later.
    But only if you're alive

This is my argument in a nutshell.

A lot of people seem to have an "I'm all right Jack" attitude (me included I will admit)
    The reality is that its a big concern for some ie those at risk re. age or health issues or people of a nervous disposition etc but for the majority its not a life or death issue.
    People have different priorities depending on life circumstances.Try explaining to a 20 year old why they should be worried about Covid .Bigger danger of being killed or injured in a car crash I should think.

This idea of everything can be sorted later ?Thats all fine and dandy on a macro level but for the individual fine words will butter no parsnips when the PUP wont stretch to paying the mortgage.
    Well perhaps in a year or two Micheal,Leo et al will applaud the populace for all the sacrifices they made "in the national interest" but will they pay the arrears?
    It will be all talk of a new economy,retraining, investment, schemes etc.

For example say they said that your farm was to be taken without compensation in the public interest but of course it would all be sorted later ?
    Lots of time to look at these minor issues in the future when we are all safe and well ?
    Think of all the PPE that could purchase.

When people support or rail against the approach taken they do so in the main from a viewpoint of their own personal circumstances and how it may or may not affect them.Again that applies to me as much as anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

A lot of people seem to have an "I'm all right Jack" attitude (me included I will admit)
    The reality is that its a big concern for some ie those at risk re. age or health issues or people of a nervous disposition etc but for the majority its not a life or death issue.
    People have different priorities depending on life circumstances.Try explaining to a 20 year old why they should be worried about Covid .Bigger danger of being killed or injured in a car crash I should think.

This idea of everything can be sorted later ?Thats all fine and dandy on a macro level but for the individual fine words will butter no parsnips when the PUP wont stretch to paying the mortgage.
    Well perhaps in a year or two Micheal,Leo et al will applaud the populace for all the sacrifices they made "in the national interest" but will they pay the arrears?

For example say they said that your farm was to be taken without compensation in the public interest but of course it would all be sorted later ?
    Lots of time to look at these minor issues in the future when we are all safe and well ?

When people support or rail against the approach taken they do so in the main from a viewpoint of their own personal circumstances and how it may or may not affect them.Again that applies to me as much as anyone.

+1

Simply put, there's people out there killing other people with their carelessness, and some doing it on purpose, does that not trump everything.

Simply put, there's people out there killing other people with their carelessness, and some doing it on purpose, does that not trump everything.

Simply put,no.

Just because some are irrationally scared of covid does not,in my opinion,justify closing down the closing down of society for almost a year.
    Agree that the closedown last march was required in to allow HSE get their house in order.
    But at this stage its almost amusing the lengths some will go to in order to justify their support for and compliance with all these covid measures.

Do you really fear that there are people going around deliberately infecting others with covid ?
    Maybe there is but lets actually look at the issue with some perspective.
    Just because its headline news day in day out doesn't mean its gonna kill us all.
    Couple of years ago homelessness was the topic of the day.You couldn't pick up a paper or have the radio on without hearing someone or other blathering on about it.
    Did/does it affect me ?Not in the slighest .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Oldest lad does a lot of running. Has ran on his own since Christmas. Other club members taking the piss, running well outside the 5km zone in groups, running with different people each time. One of them tested positive yesterday . He has ran with 5 different people in the last week, one of his in laws died so he was at the funeral. He was at work, he hired out a mini digger too. They reckon over 20 close contacts.

Simply put,no.

Just because some are irrationally scared of covid does not,in my opinion,justify closing down the closing down of society for almost a year.
    Agree that the closedown last march was required in to allow HSE get their house in order.
    But at this stage its almost amusing the lengths some will go to in order to justify their support for and compliance with all these covid measures.

Do you really fear that there are people going around deliberately infecting others with covid ?
    Maybe there is but lets actually look at the issue with some perspective.
    Just because its headline news day in day out doesn't mean its gonna kill us all.
    Couple of years ago homelessness was the topic of the day.You couldn't pick up a paper or have the radio on without hearing someone or other blathering on about it.
    Did/does it affect me ?Not in the slighest .

Hospitals are jammed now after relaxing retrictions for a fortnight a month ago, where would we be now if we didn't go into level 5 then.
    Ask those in the frontline can they handle 100% more patients because that's where we'd be

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Oldest lad does a lot of running. Has ran on his own since Christmas. Other club members taking the piss, running well outside the 5km zone in groups, running with different people each time. One of them tested positive yesterday . He has ran with 5 different people in the last week, one of his in laws died so he was at the funeral. He was at work, he hired out a mini digger too. They reckon over 20 close contacts.

Should be a graded fine for people with excessive close contacts like that. Criminal behaviour in these times.

Should be a graded fine for people with excessive close contacts like that. Criminal behaviour in these times.

Not hitting at you but are we really reduced to this level of thinking ?

If so then its hard to know where ideas like this will lead us.

Hospitals are jammed now after relaxing retrictions for a fortnight a month ago, where would we be now if we didn't go into level 5 then.
    Ask those in the frontline can they handle 100% more patients because that's where we'd be

Who knows where we would be ?
    The efficacy of lockdowns (Irish version) is not cut and dried.
    Looking at the predictions from last Spring/Summer HSE ,NPHET were telling us that things would be much worse than they are even at this stage and that the restrictions at the time were needed in order to allow the health system prepare for all this.
    Either they cried wolf and didn't actually mean what they said or have sat on their hands for the last 8 months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

When you look across the world there does seem to be a fairly large disconnect between intensity of restrictions and actual effectiveness of them. Very low to moderate restrictions perform much better than heavy restrictions as things seem to reach a broadly similar level overtime regardless.
    It was like we built up a backlog of people waiting to get sick through November and then they got sick all together at Christmas. Had we looser restrictions, we would have seen more gradual changes with probably very similar numbers over a longer period.
    Disease will always affect a part of a population no matter what you're talking about sheep, plants, elephants... but if you push that below a certain level, I think it could be argued that then you create the potential for much more instability and that is what over restricting the population does.
    Covid aside, what happens when we eventually (I hope) try to ease restrictions altogether. I think we'll see a grester diversity of flu viruses for the first year or two, meaning the flu vaccine might struggle to give a reasonable level of protection. What do we do then? Go back to hiding under the bed, or will it be ok for people to die once more?
    We want to flatten the curve lest we forget, not try to do the impossible and eradicate an endemic virus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Friend of the wife is a nurse. She was off for 2 weeks as she was showing symptoms etc and tested positive. She left a ward with 18 patients all with covid on the level down from ICU. When she got back after the 14 days all 18 had been moved to ICU and died in there.

Friend of the wife is a nurse. She was off for 2 weeks as she was showing symptoms etc and tested positive. She left a ward with 18 patients all with covid on the level down from ICU. When she got back after the 14 days all 18 had been moved to ICU and died in there.

Jesus....thats bleak

When you look across the world there does seem to be a fairly large disconnect between intensity of restrictions and actual effectiveness of them. Very low to moderate restrictions perform much better than heavy restrictions as things seem to reach a broadly similar level overtime regardless.
    It was like we built up a backlog of people waiting to get sick through November and then they got sick all together at Christmas. Had we looser restrictions, we would have seen more gradual changes with probably very similar numbers over a longer period.
    Disease will always affect a part of a population no matter what you're talking about sheep, plants, elephants... but if you push that below a certain level, I think it could be argued that then you create the potential for much more instability and that is what over restricting the population does.
    Covid aside, what happens when we eventually (I hope) try to ease restrictions altogether. I think we'll see a grester diversity of flu viruses for the first year or two, meaning the flu vaccine might struggle to give a reasonable level of protection. What do we do then? Go back to hiding under the bed, or will it be ok for people to die once more?
    We want to flatten the curve lest we forget, not try to do the impossible and eradicate an endemic virus

Do you not care the way you and the super spreaders are overworking and attempting to kill our frontline services,,,,,, I wouldn't have much sympathy for frontline PS but whatabout shops etc but you have to draw the line somewhere but shop workers aren't on civil service pay
    Attempting to kill the public too
    If selfishness and carelessness involved it's murder too

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Same here, family member, the ICU numbers give a false reading as they're are more than that on wards that should be in ICU.
    Sort of agree with Sam on this, should have stayed at Level 3 right though OCT to now. We collectively lost the run of ourselves. The death toll from the Christmas party must be high, around 1,000 or more.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Jesus....thats bleak

Said it was the first time she was shook by the whole covid thing. There was 2 lovely men in there that were plenty of chat and stories on their good days and seemed to be improving. When she came back to see them gone she was glad that they had gone home until she asked the question. Its funny reading through the rooter thread and all the older people and all the stories made over the years and laughs had. How they lived sometimes not in the best of conditions. As my grandmother used to say "clean dirt has no poison". Covid is a killer no matter if you live in a castle or a hovel. I have been effected big time from covid in terms of wages/turnover lost. Plenty of money that I will not have in my pocket for my young families future. But my health is 100% my wealth. The economy will recover and we will get back to normal in a few years. Some families will be tormented and tortured by covid for years to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,935 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Do you not care the way you and the super spreaders are overworking and attempting to kill our frontline services,,,,,, I wouldn't have much sympathy for frontline PS but whatabout shops etc but you have to draw the line somewhere but shop workers aren't on civil service pay

Well I share your anger, but the Rumpole in me think it would probably more be considered reckless endangerment \ manslaughter territory especially for someone who has tested positive or had symptoms but carried on regardless.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Do you not care the wayyou and the super spreaders are overworking and attempting to kill our frontline services,,,,,, I wouldn't have much sympathy for frontline PS but whatabout shops etc but you have to draw the line somewhere but shop workers aren't on civil service pay

First off, what have I done? I have followed all the rules and guidelines bar the advice that I cocoon myself as that's just not acceptable to me.

The rest of your post is largely hysteria, actually go back and read what I wrote. People die no matter what path we take but the reaction of wanting more and more restrictions doesn't get any significant improvement in results over a much more moderate set of restrictions

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

'I have followed all the rules and guidelines bar the advice that I cocoon myself as that's just not acceptable to me.' Sam

So you don't abide by the rules and guidelines.

Good news today on the public response continuing and having the desired result.
    Numbers falling consequent on the Level 5 restrictions being adhered to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was chatting on the phone to an elderly cousin of OH's. She is physically getting bet with aches and pains, although mentally sharp as razor but thankfully still living in her home albeit with a daily visit from the home help team. She and Mam used to walk to school together but she is two years younger than my Mam. Mam was born in Feb 1927 and died in May 2018.
    Anyway we were talking about Covid and the recent surge in positive cases, hospital numbers and deaths. She was making the point that the "younger generation" (that's anyone under 70) haven't a clue about real hardship and she can't understand why "they" wanted to ease the restrictions for Christmas. She said that until you've lived and worked through the hardship of the Second War when there was a scarcity of food/fuel and rations books were the norm then surely "ye" (that's us) can stay at home with all your "inline" computers and televisions to keep ye occupied. In her day she didn't have those things and her parents/her waited for weeks to get a letter from her eldest brother who had moved to Dublin.
    She said that "ye" haven't a iota about what it's like to live in hard times.

Advertisement