Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

wrangler wrote: »
    I can't understand the concern for young people, five years is nothing out of there lives, yet they're blowing fuses over a year or two being messed up. 100 years ago their age group were going ''over the top'' in WW1 trenches

Why the concern for people at the later stage of their lives then? 5 years is 5 years whether youre in youre prime or classed as elderly.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Why the concern for people at the later stage of their lives then? 5 years is 5 years whether youre in youre prime or classed as elderly.

A 20 year old that has 2 years messed up has 60 years to catch up, where as a 70 year old only has maybe 3 or 4 useful years.
    I'm not flying my flag here, I'm very content but friends whose partners are gone are lonely

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

Why the concern, it could kill them.
    An 80 year old got it in December nó underlying issues, cleared up, damage to the lungs started acting in Feb and now rip.
    Family devastated

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

A 20 year old that has 2 years messed up has 60 years to catch up, where as a 70 year old only has maybe 3 or 4 useful years.
    I'm not flying my flag here, I'm very content but friends whose partners are gone are lonely

Theres only certain things can be done when youre young too, the 5 years could be used to save for a deposit on a house, start a family or get educated and set up in someway for life. Then you have young children missing school and the like in the early stages of it and who knows how thats going to affect them going forward. Im not saying we should sacrifice the elderly for the sake of the youth having some sense of normality in anyway but surely someone young and healthy should be allowed a bit more freedom at the moment compared to someone elderly or high risk. Ive played by the rules all throughout 2020 myself and still do but its starting to take the piss at this stage.

Better living everyone

I can't understand the concern for young people, five years is nothing out of there lives, yet they're blowing fuses over a year or two being messed up. 100 years ago their age group were going ''over the top'' in WW1 trenches

Life is what you make of it, even in so called lock down.

Sometimes when I'd meet someone who'd be complaining about a problem I'd say, there's plenty in hospital beds would love to swap with you.

Everything is relative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Theres only certain things can be done when youre young too, the 5 years could be used to save for a deposit on a house, start a family or get educated and set up in someway for life. Then you have young children missing school and the like in the early stages of it and who knows how thats going to affect them going forward. Im not saying we should sacrifice the elderly for the sake of the youth having some sense of normality in anyway but surely someone young and healthy should be allowed a bit more freedom at the moment compared to someone elderly or high risk. Ive played by the rules all throughout 2020 myself and still do but its starting to take the piss at this stage.

The vaccine rollout is disappointing, my cousin in England is now vaccinating my age group and they're working very hard at it, which will probably be unheard of here,
    I also can't believe that in all the teachers and all the empty buildings in this country there isn't the initiative to figure a way for the schools to work, probably should substitute the word willingness for initiative. they should be ashamed of themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Life is what you make of it, even in so called lock down.

Sometimes when I'd meet someone who'd be complaining about a problem I'd say, there's plenty in hospital beds would love to swap with you.

Everything is relative.

Complaining by a lot of people is a habit, and A very annoying one at that. They would take the one negative out of a situation instead of the nine positives

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

The vaccine rollout is disappointing, my cousin in England is now vaccinating my age group and they're working very hard at it, which will probably be unheard of here,
    I also can't believe that in all the teachers and all the empty buildings in this country there isn't the initiative to figure a way for the schools to work, probably should substitute the word willingness for initiative. they should be ashamed of themselves
    The rool out is slow is because theres isn't enough nurses to do both cos they have being fu1cked over so many times over the yrs and a lot have emigrated.
    The rool out should be 7 days a week 12 hours a day job to get it done but they will not pay them overtime to do it at the weekends.
    Nurses are needed during the week in the hospitals,homes ect so you can see why this has come back to bite them in the ass.lets not start with the students I think it's a disgrace how they are being treated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The rollout is dictated by vaccine availability. All that comes into the country, goes in arms.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

988 new cases today. I thought it would be going down quicker or steadier by now

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Water John wrote: »
    The rollout is dictated by vaccine availability. All that comes into the country, goes in arms.
    Not modding but a Covid Thread was started so that this ag thread would remain relatively covid free:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058059952&page=231

Once the discussion goes beyond a couple of posts, I'd be inclined to agree with you.

Work away for now, I'll take them over later. :)

Edit: Done.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Is travel to and from (note, not travel *to* and hold up for the duration) ones holiday home which would include driving across the entire country something that's allowed? Locals here notice more than a few holiday home owners making fairly regular journeys up and down to Dublin. The irritating thing about it is we're something like the second lowest incident rate in this DED.

whelan2 wrote: »
    988 new cases today. I thought it would be going down quicker or steadier by now

Likely has a good bit to do with most infections now are the UK/Kent variant. Also we are once again testing all close contacts.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Very elderly relative tested positive 2 days ago in local hospice. Family called in yesterday, as he got really bad. Most of the hospice have now tested positive.
    Crazy thing is, procedures with proper PPE have been followed for months. Its bad enough to be going tru all this without having to do all the covid stuff on top of it all.

I haven't seen him in months either and we always got on great. Take care folks.

Probably a new variant - the much more aggressive Brazilian variant is now in the country, and I think we know who to thank for that and its spread!!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Probably a new variant - the much more aggressive Brazilian variant is now in the country, and I think we know who to thank for that and its spread!!:mad:
    Ye can call me stupid but am I missing something :confused:

No, the Kent/UK variant is what is dominant in Ireland at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    Ye can call me stupid but am I missing something :confused:

He means Goodman's workers

Reggie. wrote: »
    He means Goodman's workers

Well, there is word too that he's been bought out by the Brazilians.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

whelan2 wrote: »

We've seen all this before. In theory lockdown is far more effective than in practice. Countries across the world have widely varying restrictions but covid reaches a point where it ends up being stable no matter what the restrictions are.
    We could have much more of society open for modest increases in daily cases. The spike at Christmas was most likely down to restrictions creating instability rather than reducing it.

Did lockdown really work last spring or was it simply summer that cleared it up...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Some prick reported that we were having a party last night and the cops arrived on at 2:15...blues flashing and all. They kicked at the door and stormed into the house just as I came running out of the bed. No apologies, they just said that they were acting on a tip off.

Funny how a house across from the farm last night had 16 cars, 27 mopeds and a marquee had no bother from the cops. There was still music blaring this morning at 6...and NO COPS!!

Jesus wept.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,898 ✭✭✭amacca

Some prick reported that we were having a party last night and the cops arrived on at 2:15...blues flashing and all. They kicked at the door and stormed into the house just as I came running out of the bed. No apologies, they just said that they were acting on a tip off.

Funny how a house across from the farm last night had 16 cars, 27 mopeds and a marquee had no bother from the cops. There was still music blaring this morning at 6...and NO COPS!!

Jesus wept.

seriously.....was that in view/could they see that... while they were kicking down your door?

gards never kick down the door here...just a stern knock on the door.:D

amacca wrote: »
    seriously.....was that in view/could they see that... while they were kicking down your door?

gards never kick down the door here...just a stern knock on the door.:D

No the house party was about 2km away and not on the main road from town.
    They didn’t kick down the door, they drew a couple of kicks on it and then opened it. We don’t ever lock up the house.
    A local lad was saying this morning that it’s an old trick to put the cops off track...funny how they didn’t pick on any natives to snitch on.
    It scared the crap out of us at the time.

No the house party was about 2km away and not on the main road from town.
    They didn’t kick down the door, they drew a couple of kicks on it and then opened it. We don’t ever lock up the house.
    A local lad was saying this morning that it’s an old trick to put the cops off track...funny how they didn’t pick on any natives to snitch on.
    It scared the crap out of us at the time.

Luckily you didnt run out with a shotgun

Reggie. wrote: »
    Luckily you didnt run out with a shotgun

The mind boggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

The mind boggles.

Will you lock your door tonight

Will you lock your door tonight

Absolutely not!

Things would be fair bad to have to lock the doors from the law.

Ah, in Ireland the police couldn't enter without a search warrant.

Water John wrote: »
    Ah, in Ireland the police couldn't enter without a search warrant.

Didn’t stop them back in my Uni days.

Didn’t stop them back in my Uni days.

Yeah well......I'm sure you deserved it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna234141

Interesting how people's views change over time...

Advertisement