Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭jaymla627

It will always be just another few weeks or months... it has to be let off eventually

When hyper inflation kicks in, and the ecb stop extending the overdraft covid wont even be talked about

• Registered Users Posts: 29,914 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Any proof of this, or is it what you think will happen? You do realise people get sick and sometimes might unfortunately die, that's the risk in life, something that seems to be lost on people lately.

There were approx 1000-1100 deaths of under 70s with no pre-existing conditions in the UK from covid, up to January 2021. That's during a period where UK was periodically under various forms of restrictions and lockdowns to try to keep a lid on cases.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/covid19deathsandhospitalisationsbypreexistingconditionandage

By comparison, in the UK in total there were 1750 road deaths in 2019.
    Look at the restrictions that are in place for road transport - speed limits, safety checks, safety standards, drink driving laws etc.

Until vaccination cycle is complete, it would be reckless to remove all restrictions.
    Yes there will still be people getting sick, and deaths but not at a level where the serious cases risk overloading health services.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

People will always die Morris, but if you could help lower the number of people dying don’t you think you should?

Now - the question is will you lower the death rate with the current restrictions? I don’t know how you can answer that, maybe the only way is to roll the dice - but it’s too late then once the genie is out of the bottle...

I would say is it worth the risk, for a few more months?

Maybe it's time to start looking at the economics of all these lockdowns and restrictions, at this stage Dinzee saving lives is a red herring, vaccination should be in full flow but instead they've missed the target 3 weeks in a row.

As for a few more months, the old saying about mushrooms rings true.

odyssey06 wrote: »
    There were approx 1000-1100 deaths of under 70s with no pre-existing conditions in the UK from covid, up to January 2021. That's during a period where UK was periodically under various forms of restrictions and lockdowns to try to keep a lid on cases.
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/aboutus/transparencyandgovernance/freedomofinformationfoi/covid19deathsandhospitalisationsbypreexistingconditionandage

By comparison, in the UK in total there were 1750 road deaths in 2019.
    Look at the restrictions that are in place for road transport - speed limits, safety checks, safety standards, drink driving laws etc.

Until vaccination cycle is complete, it would be reckless to remove all restrictions.
    Yes there will still be people getting sick, and deaths but not at a level where the serious cases risk overloading health services.

Out of a population of 65 million people, between 1000- 1100 died without underlying conditions.

Am I missing something here, you want restrictions to continue on the basis of this?

Also I'm not sure why you used the UK figures here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Out of a population of 65 million people, between 1000- 1100 died without underlying conditions.

Am I missing something here, you want restrictions to continue on the basis of this?

When you look across the whole world over the last year and the differing restrictions/outcomes. It really kills the argument for anything more than a level 2-3 for winter months and there is no argument for summer restrictions.

We'll be at the end of may before we see shops reopen. July most likely before limited hospitality aand into august before we pubs can open and god knows when normality as when we start to hit winter again, no doubt we'll have some new strain or alternative virus to get hysterical about once more

• Advertisement

When you look across the whole world over the last year and the differing restrictions/outcomes. It really kills the argument for anything more than a level 2-3 for winter months and there is no argument for summer restrictions.

We'll be at the end of may before we see shops reopen. July most likely before limited hospitality aand into august before we pubs can open and god knows when normality as when we start to hit winter again, no doubt we'll have some new strain or alternative virus to get hysterical about once more

It's amazing that the flu "disappeared" this year, but now next winter we'll have to be wary of it and may have to lockdown again, but shur just a few more months....

The point is that's how many died with restrictions.

I used UK figures as I have limited time to search and their figures were more readily available. It's the same virus there as here.
    I used them to illustrate that this disease doesn't just put the vulnerable into hospital or the grave.

It's why we can't just let this rip once the vulnerable are vaccinated, with a virus in circulation in the community.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It's amazing that the flu "disappeared" this year, but now next winter we'll have to be wary of it and may have to lockdown again, but shur just a few more months....

If we're being flippant, is it the lack of a haircut or a few pints that has you so on edge Morris? ;)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The point is that's how many died with restrictions.

I used UK figures as I have limited time to search and their figures were more readily available. It's the same virus there as here.
    I used them to illustrate that this disease doesn't just put the vulnerable into hospital or the grave.

It's why we can't just let this rip once the vulnerable are vaccinated, with a virus in circulation in the community.
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Europe, 446 million people divided by 562440 deaths= 793
    Ireland 4.8million divided by 4422= 1085
    Sweden 10million divided by 13008=769
    Italy 60.36 million divided by 99785=605
    Czech republic 10.65 divided by 21882= 487
    Uk 66.65 million divided by 125000= 533

Very wide distribution of deaths per million there. We aren't seeing any benefit to having more businesses closed over a longer timeframe than other eu countries. All of whom had much more tourism/hospitality open the last year and havent felt the need to shutdown construction. Go figure...

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Europe, 446 million people divided by 562440 deaths= 793
    Ireland 4.8million divided by 4422= 1085
    Sweden 10million divided by 13008=769
    Italy 60.36 million divided by 99785=605
    Czech republic 10.65 divided by 21882= 487
    Uk 66.65 million divided by 125000= 533

Very wide distribution of deaths per million there. We aren't seeing any benefit to having more businesses closed over a longer timeframe than other eu countries. All of whom had much more tourism/hospitality open the last year and havent felt the need to shutdown construction. Go figure...

I'm not arguing for Level 5 \ lockdown until everyone vaccinated.
    I am saying once the vulnerable are vaccinated we still need some level of restrictions (not sure what that level is - dependent on cases and strain on hospitals). I think it's premature to go back to normal until we've completed vaccination cycle of the general population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Figures may be correct but if their from each Govn't then how they have been counted varies widely. Ireland and Belgium would have been the most diligent in ascribing deaths to Covid, if it was involved. Many other countries esp UK have dubious figures.
    I think the distortion from the five year mean will be the best way of accounting deaths from Covid. How many deaths more than usual. Think we can presume that the drop in flu deaths will be similar in all countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Counting stillborn babies sure is diligent.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

If we're being flippant, is it the lack of a haircut or a few pints that has you so on edge Morris? ;)

What percentage has your pay been cut by over the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

tanko wrote: »

646 cases today, not looking good, won't be getting the haircut for a while more

Water John wrote: »
    Figures may be correct but if their from each Govn't then how they have been counted varies widely. Ireland and Belgium would have been the most diligent in ascribing deaths to Covid, if it was involved. Many other countries esp UK have dubious figures.
    I think the distortion from the five year mean will be the best way of accounting deaths from Covid. How many deaths more than usual. Think we can presume that the drop in flu deaths will be similar in all countries.

Add in a margin of error of plus or minus 30% and you're still left with the same thing. Intensity of restrictions is not strongly correlated with covid deaths which it should be if every additional measure could actually be justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wrangler wrote: »
    646 cases today, not looking good, won't be getting the haircut for a while more

Sheep will be being sheared in a few months....

tanko wrote: »

Very little, but to be fair, the other side is working from home means less diesel expense... oddly it was the dollar exchange rate which affected me rather than local restrictions...
    Lamb prices are also good, so farming isn’t too bad either... But then most farmers haven’t been affected by restrictions or really wouldn’t have been badly financially affected either...

So I 100% agree Tanko, this doesn’t affect me as much as the publican or hotelier or shop keeper down the road...

However I still don’t think we should return to normal yet. I think we need more people vaccinated.

But, I know it’s easy for me to say that when I am unaffected financially...

Ah no I'm grand got the haircut a few weeks ago and I've a few drinks bought as well, at the end of the day Dinzee I'm working away here, nothing has really changed for me. I'm under no illusions that the lockdown is going to be lifted without vaccination but this thing of a few more weeks, months like it's nothing is boiling my piss.

Ah no I'm grand got the haircut a few weeks ago and I've a few drinks bought as well, at the end of the day Dinzee I'm working away here, nothing has really changed for me. I'm under no illusions that the lockdown is going to be lifted without vaccination but this thing of a few more weeks, months like it's nothing is boiling my piss.

Ah, it is frustrating - I, like a lot of people had kinda hung hopes of visiting family the start of April. It’s not clear whether this will be allowed or not..

But I think we have to hang tough for a while longer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

We couldn't do that..

Civil liberties. :pac: :p

Heard Stephen Donnelly on the radio this morning when asked about the traveller funeral and the non operation of the hotel quarantine laws which have already been passed.
    Answer - civil liberties.

Jeez we are some basket case. :p

Actually we are the opposite of a basket case .
    A constitution that has stood the test of time,a stable democracy since independence ,strong property rights, a strong legal system with a lot of individual protection and a functioning economy (most of the time ).

I may disagree about the approach taken re. Covid 19 but to describe this country as a basket case is hyperbole .

People complain about others "civil liberties" when it doesn't affect them but those self same civil liberties are the cornerstone of our democracy and I wouldn't be wishing them away lightly.

What if Micheal ,Leo and Eamonn decided tomorrow morning to confiscate all the farmland in Ireland in order to pay for Covid ?
    Or perhaps maybe held onto the BPS lump sum when it lands from Brussels ?

There was a list somewhere containing all those "responsible " for Covid spread
    Perhaps we should add large funerals to ;
    Cheltenham
    Ski holidays
    Fruit pickers
    meat packers
    pubs
    pubs with food
    pubs without food
    schools
    protests
    supermarkets
    hospitals
    nursing homes
    health care workers
    tourists
    Christmas
    returning emigrants
    airports
    Nordies
    students
    student parties
    shebeens
    non essential travel
    going to the beach/park
    GAA celebrations
    hairdressers
    construction workers
    visiting your granny

Can't think of any more " Facebook outrage " issues that were a hot topic till the next hot topic came along so feel free to add to the list .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Actually we are the opposite of a basket case .
    A constitution that has stood the test of time,a stable democracy since independence ,strong property rights, a strong legal system with a lot of individual protection and a functioning economy (most of the time ).

I may disagree about the approach taken re. Covid 19 but to describe this country as a basket case is hyperbole .

People complain about others "civil liberties" when it doesn't affect them but those self same civil liberties are the cornerstone of our democracy and I wouldn't be wishing them away lightly.

What if Micheal ,Leo and Eamonn decided tomorrow morning to confiscate all the farmland in Ireland in order to pay for Covid ?
    Or perhaps maybe held onto the BPS lump sum when it lands from Brussels ?

There was a list somewhere containing all those "responsible " for Covid spread
    Perhaps we should add large funerals to ;
    Cheltenham
    Ski holidays
    Fruit pickers
    meat packers
    pubs
    pubs with food
    pubs without food
    schools
    protests
    supermarkets
    hospitals
    nursing homes
    health care workers
    tourists
    Christmas
    returning emigrants
    airports
    Nordies
    students
    student parties
    shebeens
    non essential travel
    going to the beach/park
    GAA celebrations
    hairdressers
    construction workers
    visiting your granny

Can't think of any more " Facebook outrage " issues that were a hot topic till the next hot topic came along so feel free to add to the list .
    And I'm accused of hyperbole.

Maybe if we had a government in the first place that had the balls to enforce rules that we are being told to comply with then we wouldn't be complaining with the outrage at that list.
    It's not the people that are at fault (people are sheep who'll push as far as they can looking for the next gap in the hedge) but the government who sets the tone and how they enforce those rules.
    We've a reactionary government that goes on public sentiment and the unions. Christmas, schools closing all from the above.
    Bringing in the hotel quarantine laws and getting them passed but not bothering after due to what Stephen Donnelly called civil liberties of people is a totally Irish thing.
    We only brought the laws in from peer pressure about what Asian and Oceanic countries were doing with their international travellers but bottled it then with the enforcement.
    Sure we couldn't tell people to stay in a hotel for two weeks. Imagine what those travellers would say of our hospitality and craic and cead mile failte. That's Irish.
    There's surely a savage eye sketch on this about the pixie heads.

And I'm accused of hyperbole.

Maybe if we had a government in the first place that had the balls to enforce rules that we are being told to comply with then we wouldn't be complaining with the outrage at that list.
    It's not the people that are at fault (people are sheep who'll push as far as they can looking for the next gap in the hedge) but the government who sets the tone and how they enforce those rules.
    We've a reactionary government that goes on public sentiment and the unions. Christmas, schools closing all from the above.
    Bringing in the hotel quarantine laws and getting them passed but not bothering after due to what Stephen Donnelly called civil liberties of people is a totally Irish thing.
    We only brought the laws in from peer pressure about what Asian and Oceanic countries were doing with their international travellers but bottled it then with the enforcement.
    Sure we couldn't tell people to stay in a hotel for two weeks. Imagine what those travellers would say of our hospitality and craic and cead mile failte. That's Irish.
    There's surely a savage eye sketch on this about the pixie heads.

Why do we need to implement fully the strictest set of rules in Europe? People do also break the rules in other countries also...
    We should be looking for the bare minimum of restrictions not looking for more and stricter implementation when the additional benefit is possibly non existent or else very very marginal

Why do we need to implement fully the strictest set of rules in Europe? People do also break the rules in other countries also...
    We should be looking for the bare minimum of restrictions not looking for more and stricter implementation when the additional benefit is possibly non existent or else very very marginal

If we were in a New Zealand type situation with enforced quarantine and everything done correct from the start, I'd bet you'd have a different tune.
    What's the benefit for them?
    They've life back to normal, never strayed from it.
    I know the complications. It'd call for an all island approach which maybe we're heading for anyway. But that's not this thread.
    People break the rules in other countries but they get Gendarmerie kicking their door down in the middle of the night. That really wouldn't happen here unless drug related.

If we were in a New Zealand type situation with enforced quarantine and everything done correct from the start, I'd bet you'd have a different tune.
    I know the complications. It'd call for an all island approach which maybe we're heading for anyway. But that's not this thread.
    People break the rules in other countries but they get Gendarmerie kicking their door down in the middle of the night. That really wouldn't happen here unless drug related.

Covid was endemic here before we knew it was here. New zealand had the summer to severely restrict it before it ever got to that stage.
    We have been in a totally different position to them since the start which means what works for them has no guarantee of doing anything for us.
    Restrictions will magically start working well over the next few weeks as the weather just so happens to also improve...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Covid was endemic here before we knew it was here. New zealand had the summer to severely restrict it before it ever got to that stage.
    We have been in a totally different position to them since the start which means what works for them has no guarantee of doing anything for us.
    Restrictions will magically start working well over the next few weeks as the weather just so happens to also improve...

In fairness when the lockdowns started here, the weather was actually ideal. We had the best possible start weather wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Again not strictly covid related but would you really want to live in a country where the police break in your door in the middle of the night because you strayed 5.5 km from home for exercise ?
    Not a place we want to go really.
    When people seem to live in such fear of a virus that they are prepared to entertain such ideas then maybe its time to have a good look at themselves.
    Its a disease not "End Of Days ".

Wonder if all this happened 20 years ago before the advent of social media and 24 hr coverage would things have been different ?

Wonder if all this happened 20 years ago before the advent of social media and 24 hr coverage would things have been different ?

20 years ago or further back you'd have the local guard in the local station house clobbering you over the head and a kick in the derrier before social media and a warning don't let it happen again.
    Local stations have closed now and any of old time guards say they wouldn't like to be a guard nowadays with camera phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Hi all, been ringing the hse helpline but its not giving me any info. i was a close contact 7 days ago and understand that you may be able to finish isolating after 10 days of no symptoms and a second negative test. Would anybody know how i book the second test?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Hi all, been ringing the hse helpline but its not giving me any info. i was a close contact 7 days ago and understand that you may be able to finish isolating after 10 days of no symptoms and a second negative test. Would anybody know how i book the second test?

Chance ringing the caredo, they cant refer you during the week but can at the weekends afaik.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Interesting to read back on this time last year in the beginning of this thread

Advertisement