Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    What do ye think of today's announcement? Bit disappointed kids training wont be back for a few weeks. My dad is getting his first vaccine on Thursday. My mother isn't old enough yet.

Around here they're doing couples, even neighbours here were done within a few hours of each other even though they're different practises

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

yeah, how being in a class is alright but out in fresh air training is not is a strange one

I dunno...

Is it that the schoola aren’t too bad, cos the kids can be kinda kept under control?

But, with sports - it’s not the people playing as such, is it the supporters and the followers that kinda forget about the rules?
    Maybe that just applies to older kids or young adults?

But, if it’s just kids training, I wouldn’t be too worried. The kids have their social outlet in school at least...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://press.uchicago.edu/Misc/Chicago/511928.html

Well worth a read. A few too many similarities to where we currently find ourselves for my liking...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Suckler

Well worth a read. A few too many similarities to where we currently find ourselves for my liking...

It's worth a read if you're in to history. It's not worth a read in the context of this pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Suckler wrote: »
    It's worth a read if you're in to history. It's not worth a read in the context of this pandemic.

It's worth a read if you want to fall asleep, I found myself nodding off and it's only 9:15am in the morning - a cure for insomnia - maybe.

• Advertisement

We are only human. The same inherent flaws we carry that have caused problems in the past are still with us and from that context it is very relevant to how we think about our current situation. That is if we want to avoid cementing in place an authoritarian regime over the coming years, some people do seem to actually want it...

Jesus, really yosemite?

I enjoy your different views, dont always agree, but I think we need them. Everyone needs a bit of argument and questioning I think...

But comments like the one above make me take your views a little less serious to be honest, and I dont want that :)

Jesus, really yosemite?

I enjoy your different views, dont always agree, but I think we need them. Everyone needs a bit of argument and questioning I think...

But comments like the one above make me take your views a little less serious to be honest, and I dont want that :)

When do you think we will see 100% of our pre covid freedoms reinstated?
    No doubt a large portion of the population gets by thinking I'll put up with it for a few more weeks.
    But unless the logic that has us in the current situation is totally abandoned, then there is no clear way back to normality.

No doubt a large portion of the population gets by thinking I'll put up with it for a few more weeks.
    But unless the logic that has us in the current situation is totally abandoned, then there is no clear way back to normality.

Whenever who wants a vaccine,has gotten at least 1,if not their second

I think,they will lose the public then tbh

Whenever who wants a vaccine,has gotten at least 1,if not their second

I think,they will lose the public then tbh

But when we have the whole population walking around with antibodies that solely target the covid spike protein and start to see the results of massive selective pressure on it to generate new variants. What happens then?
    Will the public listen as cases start to climb next autumn? Will they buy anything bar a further loosening of restrictions or will we be sold to just give it a few more weeks until new reformulated booster vaccines are available and we invariably find ourselves in the position we are in right now...

• Advertisement

But when we have the whole population walking around with antibodies that solely target the covid spike protein and start to see the results of massive selective pressure on it to generate new variants. What happens then?
    Will the public listen as cases start to climb next autumn? Will they buy anything bar a further loosening of restrictions or will we be sold to just give it a few more weeks until new reformulated booster vaccines are available and we invariably find ourselves in the position we are in right now...

Almost everyone of these varients so far,is beaten back with a booster shot of existing jabs (hence talk of a 3rd jab)

If people are vaccinated againest it,the potential for varients is hampered as fcuk,as it cant spread as quickly among a population already immune

Has there been a single case of someone,who has been vaccinated,actually catching a varient?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭jaymla627

If pascal in the morning was told by the ecb, and bond markets that the money tap was been turned off the country would open back up again in the morning, once the Irish government can keep extending the overdraft god knows when normality will reassume.....
    On a side-note the sheer level of mortgage/loan arrears for business that have been shutdown for the best part of a year, must be eye-watering

Almost everyone of these varients so far,is beaten back with a booster shot of existing jabs (hence talk of a 3rd jab)

If people are vaccinated againest it,the potential for varients is hampered as fcuk,as it cant spread as quickly among a population already immune

Has there been a single case of someone,who has been vaccinated,actually catching a varient?

Give it a few months, there hasn't been much selection pressure on the spike as of yet with vaccinations still only getting going. But from the momemt a variant with significant difference in it's spike protein arises to it actually being detectable in a population will take several weeks to months. Virus circulation has already peaked and will natutally fall into summer but come autumn it will be different.
    Everytime a change in the spike is targeted, all it will end up doing is encouraging even more diversity within the spike over time

We are only human. The same inherent flaws we carry that have caused problems in the past are still with us and from that context it is very relevant to how we think about our current situation. That is if we want to avoid cementing in place an authoritarian regime over the coming years, some people do seem to actually want it...

It's a ridiculous analogy that cheapens and demeans actually suffering. To compare what we are experiencing to the holocaust is worthy of the conspiracy theories forum.

I'm no more a fan of lockdowns and restrictions than anyone. I'd healthily wager I personally have been more affected by many on here but insinuating that in a few years we'll be comparable to Nazi germany isn't on.

I've had to travel a lot more over the last year because of the pandemic, I'd accept the Irish approach over the vast majority of places I have been. The antics in the UK over the last few days are an indicator to what can/will happen when we rely on personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

It's a ridiculous analogy that cheapens and demeans actually suffering. To compare what we are experiencing to the holocaust is worthy of the conspiracy theories forum.

I'm no more a fan of lockdowns and restrictions than anyone. I'd healthily wager I personally have been more affected by many on here but insinuating that in a few years we'll be comparable to Nazi germany isn't on.

I've had to travel a lot more over the last year because of the pandemic, I'd accept the Irish approach over the vast majority of places I have been. The antics in the UK over the last few days are an indicator to what can/will happen when we rely on personal responsibility.

Look what's happening in Israel. Forcing people to have "vaccinations". These are approved for emergency use. Listening to MSM in Ireland you wouldn't think that. There is a conspiracy. An open one. Look at what Varadkar said about watching what happens in Israel.
    Our government isn't trying to protect us. It is actively conspiring against us.
    And now we have pharma companies trialling this muck in children. Innocent little children.
    This is madness!
    Too many people here listening to RTE and Newstalk and believing what they're being told

Look what's happening in Israel. Forcing people to have "vaccinations". These are approved for emergency use. Listening to MSM in Ireland you wouldn't think that. There is a conspiracy. An open one. Look at what Varadkar said about watching what happens in Israel.
    Our government isn't trying to protect us. It is actively conspiring against us.
    And now we have pharma companies trialling this muck in children. Innocent little children.
    This is madness!
    Too many people here listening to RTE and Newstalk and believing what they're being told

MSM?

trials on children?

links please...

You missed the whole point. That article was about the human side of how an authoritarian regime came to be accepted by the public. Have a proper read and there are similarities to how we have come to accept this authoritarian setup we are currently in.

You missed the whole point. That article was about the human side of how an authoritarian regime came to be accepted by the public. Have a proper read and there are similarities to how we have come to accept this authoritarian setup we are currently in.

I haven't the point or your point. I've read it, I'm more than familiar with the history of it all; That document is beyond brief and missing a lot of other details that allowed the regime to be accepted by the public eventually. The fact you haven't picked up on that shows you don't understand the history of how it came about and how conflating the two is ridiculous. Again, it cheapens what happened.

This is madness!

Simple minded theories like this delay getting back to normality.

• Advertisement

Simple minded theories like this delay getting back to normality.

We are never going back to normal my friend.
    Peace to you and yours

Is this unusual?

I dont know how vaccines for kids are trialled, but as we give various vaccines to kids - I assume there must be some sort of trials conducted somewhere for these vaccines?

Is this unusual?

I dont know how vaccines for kids are trialled, but as we give various vaccines to kids - I assume there must be some sort of trials conducted somewhere for these vaccines?

Children aren't usually very much affected by Covid. Why risk their safety with a vaccination?

Children aren't usually very much affected by Covid. Why risk their safety with a vaccination?

Did I not read a while back that some kids can get very badly affected?

I dont know if it was kawasaki disease, but it was very similar?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/covid-19-what-we-know-about-the-rare-child-illness-potentially-linked-to-coronavirus-1.4256439

Did I not read a while back that some kids can get very badly affected?

I dont know if it was kawasaki disease, but it was very similar?

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/health-family/covid-19-what-we-know-about-the-rare-child-illness-potentially-linked-to-coronavirus-1.4256439

https://www.bmj.com/content/369/bmj.m2094

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Most of the adults who want it will be vaccinated by the end of July. I presume, based on research and trials a decision will be made over the next few months, as to whether under 16 will be offered vaccination.

By what logic does anyone believe Irish politicians want to have restrictions one day longer than needed? Totally perverse.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

greysides wrote: »

While there are several threads already running across Boards, this is a thread where we can discuss the disease and it's implications from our perspectives and biased towards how it affects us, the people who live in the country.
    This is to be a fact and information thread with news and science, rather than a chit-chat thread. The intention being to educate and help each other.

Mod:

Some guidance:

Lest this thread become an extension of the Conspiracy forum I've copied and high lighted some of the OP.

A wide leeway has already been allowed but we will not be going down the conspiracy theory rabbit hole.

Healthy sceptism, counter-argument and disagreement, yes.

Conspiracy theories, no.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Its absolutely astonishing that so many otherwise intelligent people still have not grasped this. (In bold)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

I see that on the 12th you can meet another household outside but not in your garden? What does that mean for farmers? Do we have to move the picnic bench into the field?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

arctictree wrote: »
    I see that on the 12th you can meet another household outside but not in your garden? What does that mean for farmers? Do we have to move the picnic bench into the field?!

Tae in the bog, the glass bottle kept warm in a sock.
    Just think if we were told 12 months ago during the first lockdown that we'd be nearly all immune in 3 months. That's how it's now.

Advertisement