Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Interesting that Israel made the mandatory quarantine list. Positives at about 25% of our own and the vast majority vaccinated...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Interesting that Israel made the mandatory quarantine list. Positives at about 25% of our own and the vast majority vaccinated...

NPHET get tough..

ytJ73T6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great that we're getting more Pfizer/Biontech vaccine in the 2nd quarter. Over 500k, more than makes up for the bad news yesterday. 69 to 65 year olds logging in tomorrow. No one in this age group has been affected by clots from AZ.
    Think the eldest was 48.
    Hope things will be clearer here tonight or tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

If the risk of a clot is between 4 and 10 people per million for the astra zeneca vaccine, surely its more beneficial to get it than not?

• Advertisement

https://www.thejournal.ie/hotel-quarantine-stephen-donnelly-5409314-Apr2021/

If the whole purpose of quarantine is to keep variants which are less susceptible to control from the vaccine from establishing on the island. It can't make sense for anyone to be getting a pass on quarantine. Should be all or nothing...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If the risk of a clot is between 4 and 10 people per million for the astra zeneca vaccine, surely its more beneficial to get it than not?

It's grand if you're not one of the ten, but you're right the odds are so far out it'd be mad not to take it if you can't get anything else.
    I got a Pfizer jab this morning :D

With young women supposedly being at higher risk. Maybe that has been driven almost entirely by nurses being vaccinated which could give a much higher risk factor in younger portions of the population

Yeah, the clotting issue looks like it's mostly female under 50. All between 60-70 look like getting the AZ, this allows the newer mRNA vaccines to be given to younger people.
    Not sure on the whole quaranteeing thing. Seems like a response to opposition political pressure. If we were going to do it, we should have chosen that route a year ago, at first shutdown. May be about dissuading non essential travel as anything else.

It's hard to separate out the risk factors, women on the contraceptive pill seemingly have a clot risk 100 to 400 times greater than from taking the Astra -Zenica vaccine.
    So you'd need to ensure that people taking the pill were not counted when compiling clot risk figures.

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    It's hard to separate out the risk factors, women on the contraceptive pill seemingly have a clot risk 100 to 400 times greater than from taking the Astra -Zenica vaccine.
    So you'd need to ensure that people taking the pill were not counted when compiling clot risk figures.

You have to wonder are they downplaying the seriousness of the clot issues, I mean the risk is minimal if we are to believe the figures, I suppose another way to look at it is that they overplayed the seriousness of covid 19 in the first place, if they're willing to disregard vaccines so easily.

They are playing ultra-cautious with the AstraZenica due to fear of court cases by families should anyone die unexpectedly after receiving it, and the media's day and night dissection of every new figure released and the near hysteria of some of the newly minted Health mandarins every time they come in range of a microphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Personally I'd prefer if they gave the over 60's and anyone with health issues the more reliable vaccines. I'd take the AstraZeneca one fine but would prefer the mother to get the Pfizer one tbh.
    Also with the amount of information that should be available on a rollout of this scale there should surely be enough people qualified enough to figure out the issues relatively quickly for fcuk sake, esp when most of the vaccines are in the western world.
    Media constantly going on asking the same ****e about when this, that or the other thing will open, etc is akin to a child in the back seat of the car asking are we there yet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I took the covid app off the phone, the difference it makes to battery life is unbelievable, before I wasn't getting 24 hrs between charges, now back to charging every 2nd night.

Some over 70 yr olds still waiting on the first shot around here.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/taoiseach-says-he-cant-be-definitive-there-wont-be-another-lockdown-next-winter-40318747.html

Excellent news. The only way we will see the end of covid is when the majority of people get fed up. But that seems to be an awful long way off yet...

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/taoiseach-says-he-cant-be-definitive-there-wont-be-another-lockdown-next-winter-40318747.html

Excellent news. The only way we will see the end of covid is when the majority of people get fed up. But that seems to be an awful long way off yet...

I'm struggling to find the logic in that, even when everyone that can be vaccinated is vaccinated the country can't go back to normal, listening to the experts saying vaccination is only 1 measure and we still have to do all the other things as well( masks, etc).

But sure it's only a few more weeks, months, years...

I'm struggling to find the logic in that, even when everyone that can be vaccinated is vaccinated the country can't go back to normal, listening to the experts saying vaccination is only 1 measure and we still have to do all the other things as well( masks, etc).

The most logical way to have approached it would have been vaccinate thoe most vulnerable only, then all restrictions eased with no mass vaccination of the population. But logic has been missing since the very start of our reaction to covid

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Pfizer CEO saying 3rd shot before 12 months may be necessary now.looking at 6 month boosters if that's the case...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Ah lads - don’t tell me ye’re surprised a politician won’t give a definitive, definitive answer...
    :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The most logical way to have approached it would have been vaccinate thoe most vulnerable only, then all restrictions eased with no mass vaccination of the population. But logic has been missing since the very start of our reaction to covid

You'd definitely have too many deaths with that plan and no one only Covid patients would be treated in hospitals

• Advertisement

Ah lads - don’t tell me ye’re surprised a politician won’t give a definitive, definitive answer...

Who said anything about a politician?

As it is the numbers are all going in the right direction. Most of us will have at least one shot by the end of June. So what if we need an annual booster? But I think with enough of the world's pop vaccinated, Covid and its variants won't have the numbers to transmit to.

Who said anything about a politician?

What?

The headline of the link quoted by Yosemite was “Taoiseach says he ‘can’t be definitive’ there won’t be another lockdown next winter“

What?

The headline of the link quoted by Yosemite was “Taoiseach says he ‘can’t be definitive’ there won’t be another lockdown next winter“

Right, thought you were referring to my post.

Right, thought you were referring to my post.

Oh, I did... prob would have made more sense all right to quite Yosemite :)

Are you surprised that we may go into lockdown next winter?

Very, very unlikely, what would cause such a measure to be taken?

Do you know Morris, I have given up listening to and reading about it.

I’ll get my jab when I can, and that’s all I can do.

I will say though, as more time goes by, the more I am beginning to actually enjoy lockdown and the simpler life it gives.

Now, I accept I might be a particular case - I am working from home, so financially not impacted. We have small kids so wouldn’t have had a hectic social life anyways. And farming is kinda my thing/hobby, so that’s business as usual too really...
    Yes, it would be nice to meet friends and family. But we’ll meet them someday...

So, end of lockdown, grand. More lockdown, that’s grand too...

wrangler wrote: »
    You'd definitely have too many deaths with that plan and no one only Covid patients would be treated in hospitals

Allowing under 60s to get the real thing would protect the efficacy for those who need the vaccine most. Deaths would be as close to zero as you could get and any deaths or hospitalisations would be more than offset by those avoided by forcing mutations on the covid spike.
    It's not much different to management of wormer resistance, fungicide resistance or plant disease resistance. Except that viruses are better suited to mutating

• Advertisement

Saw a comparison graph of monthly deaths over the last five years, and since March 2020 deaths are lower every single month than in any of the preceding four years...
    So the nightly death toll scare fest is just that, dramatic tabloid fodder.

Advertisement