Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Allowing under 60s to get the real thing would protect the efficacy for those who need the vaccine most. Deaths would be as close to zero as you could get and any deaths or hospitalisations would be more than offset by those avoided by forcing mutations on the covid spike.
    It's not much different to management of wormer resistance, fungicide resistance or plant disease resistance. Except that viruses are better suited to mutating

One would really need to know the numbers. Also not just deaths but the other health effects incl long covid. Anyhow by waiting a short while and all getting a safe vaccine seems preferable to the real thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Water John wrote: »
    One would really need to know the numbers. Also not just deaths but the other health effects incl long covid. Anyhow by waiting a short while and all getting a safe vaccine seems preferable to the real thing.

What if we see massive erosions on the vaccine efficacy arise? They will be everywhere before they are anywhere when they do arise and then what? Hide under the bed until the new reformulated vaccine is roled out and repeat indefinitely with ever greater diversity arising

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Very, very unlikely, what would cause such a measure to be taken?

I'm wondering that myself, I thought vaccination was the golden bullet.

Do you know Morris, I have given up listening to and reading about it.

I’ll get my jab when I can, and that’s all I can do.

I will say though, as more time goes by, the more I am beginning to actually enjoy lockdown and the simpler life it gives.

Now, I accept I might be a particular case - I am working from home, so financially not impacted. We have small kids so wouldn’t have had a hectic social life anyways. And farming is kinda my thing/hobby, so that’s business as usual too really...
    Yes, it would be nice to meet friends and family. But we’ll meet them someday...

So, end of lockdown, grand. More lockdown, that’s grand too...

I think that's called Stockholm syndrome Dinzee.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Found it.
    vrcG7xc.jpg
    I was wrong, onemonth is much higher, April 2020 is 30% up.
    Which is probably the virus running riot in nursing homes and care facilities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Found it.
    vrcG7xc.jpg

I was wondering if you were going to spot that after your previous message. :p

If anything that graph shows an upward trend in deaths in the first few months of 2020 culminating with April when lockdown measures brought them down from there on.
    No wonder the authorities were getting worried looking at those numbers.

The figures are interesting. We must factor in the effects of social distancing on other contagious viruses and bacteria also, although probably the absence of influenza would be the main one, in suppressing numbers from April 2020 onwards, countering Covid deaths.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

I was wondering if you were going to spot that after your previous message. :p

If anything that graph shows an upward trend in deaths in the first few months of 2020 culminating with April when lockdown measures broughtsummer brought them down from there on.
    No wonder the authorities were getting worried looking at those numbers.

Fixed that for you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I think that's called Stockholm syndrome Dinzee.

Ah no Morris...

Don’t be trying to shoot me down, cos I’m not not on the ‘Boo to lockdown’ wagon...

Lockdown has made me appreciate the simpler things in life... I don’t see why that should be defined as Stockholm Syndrome...

Would it be better if COVID never happened - yes.
    But it’d be better if we didn’t have crime or lots of other things, but unfortunately that’s not the world we live in...

On the evidence so, summer continued right into December. Knew it was a lovely year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Daughter is close contact of positive case in school.
    Notified from school at 1pm.

First test done by 5:30

Something like 19 close contacts in the year from one case.

Hopefully fine, doesn't seem to spread too much in young people.

Hopefully fine, doesn't seem to spread too much in young people.

Yea schools seem to have it well controlled.
    Last time there was a case there was no spread within the school.

Ah no Morris...

Don’t be trying to shoot me down, cos I’m not not on the ‘Boo to lockdown’ wagon...

Lockdown has made me appreciate the simpler things in life... I don’t see why that should be defined as Stockholm Syndrome...

Would it be better if COVID never happened - yes.
    But it’d be better if we didn’t have crime or lots of other things, but unfortunately that’s not the world we live in...

Ha sorry twas meant as a joke, anyway each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    Yea schools seem to have it well controlled.
    Last time there was a case there was no spread within the school.

A Tullamore school had a sick child sent to school first day back, tested positive for covid, teacher and class now have to stay at home and be tested.
    Snowflakes the lot of em.
    This in a town that has five times the national average, you couldn't make it up really

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

https://m.independent.ie/irish-news/health/taoiseach-says-he-cant-be-definitive-there-wont-be-another-lockdown-next-winter-40318747.html

Excellent news. The only way we will see the end of covid is when the majority of people get fed up. But that seems to be an awful long way off yet...

"MeHole" is rather discouraging.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

wrangler wrote: »
    A Tullamore school had a sick child sent to school first day back, tested positive for covid, teacher and class now have to stay at home and be tested.
    Snowflakes the lot of em.
    This in a town that has five times the national average, you couldn't make it up really

Why what would you think would be best practice in this situation. If I recall correctly from this thread anyone that is out and about your calling them reckless and looking for heads on plates and that there entitled snowflakes that cant follow the rules and then when a school has a confirmed case and close contacts and need to isolate to follow government guidelines, they are snowflakes also. Kids going to school, doing what's asked of them. To be honest wrangler it comes across that have a serious chip on your shoulder with the younger generation for some reason. Maybe its because you are painting them with that big snowflake brush you have in hand

dh1985 wrote: »
    Why what would you think would be best practice in this situation. If I recall correctly from this thread anyone that is out and about your calling them reckless and looking for heads on plates and that there entitled snowflakes that cant follow the rules and then when a school has a confirmed case and close contacts and need to isolate to follow government guidelines, they are snowflakes also. Kids going to school, doing what's asked of them. To be honest wrangler it comes across that have a serious chip on your shoulder with the younger generation for some reason. Maybe its because you are painting them with that big snowflake brush you have in hand

Was the kid just sick, or had already tested positive?

Tested positive - definitely stay at home.

Sick - should have been kept at home as well really. But you know yourself, hard to gauge at times...

dh1985 wrote: »

I was criticising sending them to school when they're sick. Yea , they were asked to go to school but asked to stay at home if there was any doubt that they were well, they have everyone at home now. Just because all schoolchildrens parents are in their thiries it doesn't mean that there's no parents at risk, a local parent has had to be resusitated twice in the last ten years and their 5 year old brought Covid home from the school before Christmas
    They've disrupted the school again after a year of disruptions.
    The people that are acting the brat are extending it for everyone, the people that think they are entitled to holidays, how many positives have been in the mandatory quarantine hotels, Disregarding the rules is selfish.
    It's alright for public servants, they'll be paid whether or which, it's alright for farmers as theyre not majorly affected, but it doesn't mean that farmers or public servants can act the brat and extend it for those that have to live on 350 covid payment.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,489 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Matt Watson from Carwow gets his vaccine jab.

https://youtu.be/gAJTUF-HK1g

• Advertisement

Was the kid just sick, or had already tested positive?

Tested positive - definitely stay at home.

Sick - should have been kept at home as well really. But you know yourself, hard to gauge at times...

Fairness the guidance is clear.
    ANY cold/flu like symptoms and a kid must stay home, both our schools have been very clear, ANY symptoms at all.

_Brian wrote: »
    Fairness the guidance is clear.
    ANY cold/flu like symptoms and a kid must stay home, both our schools have been very clear, ANY symptoms at all.

Oh, I know Brian...
    But it’s difficult with very small kids...
    You know yourself, the kids want to go to school and they don’t say they aren’t feeling 100%
    Or the opposite, they say they’re sick but make a miraculous recovery come 10.00 or so - but sure we’ve all done that, but they know right now is a good time to do it :)
    Or they happen to sneeze but say they are feeling ok, and then you have to watch em like a hawk to see was it a once-off or not...

OH got AZ vaccine on Thurs, doing fine, no effects TG.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

OH got AZ vaccine on Thurs, doing fine, no effects TG.

My mother got the Pfizer one yesterday afternoon. We had drama yesterday morning when an ambulance was called to her with anxiety and high blood pressure. Not a bother on her today.

whelan2 wrote: »
    My mother got the Pfizer one yesterday afternoon. We had drama yesterday morning when an ambulance was called to her with anxiety and high blood pressure. Not a bother on her today.

Did she get the anxiety BEFORE the Pfizer

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Did she get the anxiety BEFORE the Pfizer

Yes . I near had a heart attack myself when I saw the ambulance going into their house. Didn't know which of them was sick. I went up in my milking gear. Wasn't allowed in as I had no mask....

whelan2 wrote: »
    Yes . I near had a heart attack myself when I saw the ambulance going into their house. Didn't know which of them was sick. I went up in my milking gear. Wasn't allowed in as I had no mask....

I thought you got it wrong as I woke up at 1.45 am after mine with a pounding headache and Palpitations, I sorta said I'd stay in bed till two o clock before I woke OH but the next thing it was 6am .
    That was the only after effects I had

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Found it.
    vrcG7xc.jpg

So what you're saying is that the government have done a great job in minimising the excess deaths due to covid. I'm sure they'll welcome your congratulations

So what you're saying is that the government have done a great job in minimising the excess deaths due to covid. I'm sure they'll welcome your congratulations

The government is in charge, right or wrong they'll plough on, this incesssant whingeing and protesting won't make a bit of difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

The government is in charge, right or wrong they'll plough on, this incesssant whingeing and protesting won't make a bit of difference.

So tempted to say "Just like the IFA " but that would be maybe a bit close to the bone .

Advertisement