Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

So tempted to say "Just like the IFA " but that would be maybe a bit close to the bone .

When you elect a commitee/government, you have to let them run the show, otherwise it'd be a farce.
    That's democracy

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

So what you're saying is that the government have done a great job in minimising the excess deaths due to covid. I'm sure they'll welcome your congratulations

Where did you pull that assumption from?
    I didn't make up the figures, and I didn't mention the Government, let alone praise them.
    I just stated that overall, deaths for the year are running at a lower number than the previous 4 years.
    Now, the absence of flu this past year is probably the greatest driver in that statistic, helped by a large take-up of the flu vaccine in Winter 19, Spring 20, and the complete cessation of all social events commonly attended by senior citizens.
    Mass halted, Bingo cancelled, all dancing stopped and better hygiene and awareness of the risks of germ/virus spread.
    And what has happened to the trolley situation?
    Any other year we would be subject to daily Media reports on 150 or 200 people being on trolleys in hospital corridors for days.
    Talking to an A & E nurse who works in Cavan Hospital yesterday, busy as ever in A & E, she says, but no Covid worth talking about and nobody on trolleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Great to see 25% have got at least one shot. 41,500 vaccinations on Thurs alone.
    That around a million every four weeks which is what we need to do.
    65-69 getting their first shot these days. Next in line for me, hope it's soon.

Water John wrote: »
    Great to see 25% have got at least one shot. 41,500 vaccinations on Thurs alone.
    That around a million every four weeks which is what we need to do.
    65-69 getting their first shot these days. Next in line for me, hope it's soon.

OH getting her first on tuesday, but won't get the second for at least 12 week.
    Indo today said we're unlikely to get any concessions until we've the second jab.
    I'm getting second one on 12th may

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My sister got hers today. She has ms

• Advertisement

Have I missed a "Ye don't need to bother with masks anymore" announcement?

In Galway this morning, which was busy, not a mask to be seen. Came home, which was much busier with the getting a head start on easing of restrictioners and definitely no masks to be seen :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

In Galway this morning, which was busy, not a mask to be seen. Came home, which was much busier with the getting a head start on easing of restrictioners and definitely no masks to be seen :confused:

In shops or outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

Why would you wear a mask outside?
    Turn off the telly lads!

No masks in shops, owners included.

Outside was outside cheek by jowl drinking in large groups, as close as in a packed pub before covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Some disaster in India lads. They’d appeared to be getting bye using ivormectin but they have a massive problem now.
    Sobering to see how out of control it can get.

• Advertisement

Outside was outside cheek by jowl drinking in large groups, as close as in a packed pub before covid.

Haven't seen anyone not wearing a mask in a shop in 6 months+ .
    Interesting that texas and some of the other states who've given up on mandatory masks havent seen any increases compared to states keeping on their masks

Galway Bay fm have a video of some beach on their facebook page and the people couldn't stand much closer......... why would anyone bother

https://fb.watch/54YtIG7tm9/

wrangler wrote: »
    Galway Bay fm have a video of some beach on their facebook page and the people couldn't stand much closer......... why would anyone bother

I saw that, I wasn't there but saw large tight groups elsewhere.

Covid is dropping the whole time in the population anyway, despite the likes of this and positives staying high.
    We're doing about 120k tests a week for the last few weeks. This time last year we were lucky to be hitting 20k and that was focused entirely on nursing homes/hospitals.

Yeah. It was fantastic to see people out enjoying life. Huge protests in London yesterday. I can't wait for the protests here!
    #no vaccine passports

_Brian wrote: »
    Some disaster in India lads. They’d appeared to be getting bye using ivormectin but they have a massive problem now.
    Sobering to see how out of control it can get.

That's mad.
    Have they started rolling out the vaccines there???

That's mad.
    Have they started rolling out the vaccines there???

I think so, that's part of the problem, they're so overrun that they can't work it out. The health care workers are being revaccinated so it's not working.
    There's supposed to be 50% of the population vaccinated,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭Gillespy

America's refusal to help India with vaccine raw materials would be the main story a year ago. Like the kids in cages, not a beep out of the good and greats now regarding that anymore either.

Gillespy wrote: »
    America's refusal to help India with vaccine raw materials would be the main story a year ago. Like the kids in cages, not a beep out of the good and greats now regarding that anymore either.

Charity begins at home, countries have to look after their own people first

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I think so, that's part of the problem, they're so overrun that they can't work it out. The health care workers are being revaccinated so it's not working.
    There's supposed to be 50% of the population vaccinated,

The problems in India don't relate to coronaviruses. Over three hundred million people starving/malnourished in that county and that's been the case for many years

• Advertisement

Neddyusa wrote: »
    The problems in India don't relate to coronaviruses. Over three hundred million people starving/malnourished in that county and that's been the case for many years

True, and the religious practice of open air cremation of the dead on wood fires will need to end.
    I saw a news report showing new mass cremation sites being opened, at least 20 bodies in a small area being burned on small bundles of sticks and smoke everywhere.

Remember Foot&Mouth in the UK?

They brought the army in, and they immediately began excavating mass burial pits, because the funeral pyres that had been in use were found to be the source of fresh infections downwind of the smoke plume.

Did you not see the news, a death from covid every four minutes and hundreds of people being treated with oxygen in their cars and on the streets.
    Granted it's not as big a problem as malnutrition and hunger but it is still a big problem.
    A month ago they were out celebrating the end of covid like those in Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Did you not see the news, a death from covid every four minutes and hundreds of people being treated with oxygen in their cars and on the streets.
    Granted it's not as big a problem as malnutrition and hunger but it is still a big problem.
    A month ago they were out celebrating the end of covid like those in Galway.

With 200 Million people starving - most of them children, a respiratory virus that affects rich overweight people is the least of their worries.

With 200 Million people starving - most of them children, a respiratory virus that affects rich overweight people is the least of their worries.

How is it that those that can least afford it have the most children.... even in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

We are heading for another massive spike in cases. i was at a public gathering last week. Granted it was outside, but people were talking to each other up close. Over 20 people there and only one gobsh1te wearing a mask. Guess who that was?
    I said it to one of the lads there later and his attitude was - "look, this is going to be around for years and we are all going to get it, so what's the point". This guy had a relative die from it.
    I dunno. :mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

OK

So the people turning up at hospitals with coronavirus wanting treatment but getting turned away because the hospitals are overrun with coronavirus patients is nothing to do with coronavirus.

Yea they have a serious social issue but it’s coronavirus that’s the tipping point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

India has 462 people per km2. Australia has just 3 per km2.
    The world population just can't keep growing. It's just not sustainable.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

How is it that those that can least afford it have the most children.... even in Ireland

If you ever worked in Social Welfare ( unlikely, I admit!) you'd know the answer to this question...

India has 462 people per km2. Australia has just 3 per km2.
    The world population just can't keep growing. It's just not sustainable.

Projections are it will peak soon amd then start to decline, that was already on the cards pre covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Easily a 1000% increase in air traffic over us the last few days, hardly seen a plane the past year maybe 2-3 a day now it’s 2-3 in the sky anytime you look up in the sky

Advertisement