Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

No lockdown for Limerick.

Now that all the Granny's have been vaccinated, could this be the new norm. The government getting sick and tired of the carry on?

Excuse me, I'm no granny nor a granda either TMK.
    Two younger family members 30 ish have got Pfizer in the past few days. A bit tired for 24 hours but doing fine. Will get repeat in 4 weeks and will thus pass me and the OH out, with our AZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Uk delaying full reopening now. Hopefully we will keep ploughing on...

Uk delaying full reopening now. Hopefully we will keep ploughing on...

It seems the one vaccine strategy may be vulnerable to the Delta variant. Hope the AZ gap is narrowed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have they started doing the second vaccine at all in the UK?

whelan2 wrote: »

Yes they have but focussed a lot on getting one dose and a large gap to the second. That's why they have a risk of a third wave from the Delta/Indian variant.
    90% of UK new cases are Delta variant. Probable just need to delay fully opening a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Got a text today calling me to my second shot of Pfizer next Wednesday.
    Four weeks to the day, from the first one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »

The HSE are as bad, patting themselves on the back with all the first dose AZ they've given and not bothering about the second because they can't be bothered. There's over 60s still poorly protected while younger are well protected. You couldn't make it up but it's so predictable of our friends in the PS.
    A friend has serious imunity problems and can't get fully vaccinated. He has sarcodosis and his lungs are very bad so he can't afford to get it

wrangler wrote: »
    The HSE are as bad, patting themselves on the back with all the first dose AZ they've given and not bothering about the second because they can't be bothered. There's over 60s still poorly protected while younger are well protected. You couldn't make it up but it's so predictable of our friends in the PS.
    A friend has serious imunity problems and can't get fully vaccinated. He has sarcodosis and his lungs are very bad so he can't afford to get it

Yeah, but what were they supposed to do?
    Give nobody a shot because the AZ had a long interval period?
    And hope the other contenders arrived quickly?
    AZ cut delivery quantities several times and caused extra problems for those administering the vaccine.
    If you bought a Ford Focus and three months later they brought out faster, safer and more economical model you might be pissed off, but by the same measure, why didn't you do without a car in the hopes a manufacturer might launch a better one?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Yeah, but what were they supposed to do?
    Give nobody a shot because the AZ had a long interval period?
    And hope the other contenders arrived quickly?
    AZ cut delivery quantities several times and caused extra problems for those administering the vaccine.
    If you bought a Ford Focus and three months later they brought out faster, safer and more economical model you might be pissed off, but by the same measure, why didn't you do without a car in the hopes a manufacturer might launch a better one?

My GP has been criticising AZ since I was with him in january, thay knew it was inferior product and told me that he'd give me Pfizer, which he did .
    My OH who is well over 60 is waiting till nearly August while younger people, who aren't even restricting and at minimum risk of being sick, are having their second dose

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AndyWhite1

Got a text today calling me to my second shot of Pfizer next Wednesday.
    Four weeks to the day, from the first one.

Pfizer seems to be a good one

I've got my second shot 2 weeks ago

• Advertisement

Just looking through the vaccine info pamphlet from hse. Didn't realise that if you're a vaccinated close contact that you're exempt from being tested or self isolating.
    A bias in testing structure will lead to biased results. So it's no wonder that we're getting the great results we need to hopefully bring the covid story to an end. But if changes are made to testing structure as we head into winter we could start hearing that the vaccine is no longer as effective and have restrictions brought back. When in fact it's effectiveness might be constant

My GP has been criticising AZ since I was with him in january, thay knew it was inferior product and told me that he'd give me Pfizer, which he did .
    My OH who is well over 60 is waiting till nearly August while younger people, who aren't even restricting and at minimum risk of being sick, are having their second dose

Might annoy you more that those were hesitant are now being offered the one shot J & J and will pass us out. It will only be another month or two hopefully. OH done 3 months I think, I'm five weeks. Only risk seems to be the delta variant spreading here.
    In fairness the roll out has been a fantastic logistics feat.

Water John wrote: »
    In fairness the roll out has been a fantastic logistics feat.

Positive thing is that there is now an efficient procedure in place should we need to react to any other pandemics in the future.

Positive thing is that there is now an efficient procedure in place should we need to react to any other pandemics in the future.

What was annoying generally is, that it was not if, but when.

What was annoying generally is, that it was not if, but when.

Yeah, we had a few false dawns,
    SARS,
    Bird flu,
    H1N1 etc...
    Set up a programme capable of vaccinating everyone in the population in a speedy and orderly manner?, only the more militarized countries do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yeah, we had a few false dawns,
    SARS,
    Bird flu,
    H1N1 etc...
    Set up a programme capable of vaccinating everyone in the population in a speedy and orderly manner?, only the more militarized countries do that.

Variants of current virus are of concern too. Seeing increasing ability to spread amd infect is concerning.

OH to get second AZ next Wed. I tell her she's ahead of me because she's older.
    They're motoring now with over 300k being done each week. End of July almost all who want to be vaccinated, will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

OH to get second AZ next Wed. I tell her she's ahead of me because she's older.
    They're motoring now with over 300k being done each week. End of July almost all who want to be vaccinated, will be.
    I got my second Pfizer on Monday. I had a few aches and pains around my neck/shoulders and a sore arm but otherwise was fine.
    My sister and brother are really pissed that they have to wait so long for their second AZ jabs whilst their younger sister is now fully vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Yes they have but focussed a lot on getting one dose and a large gap to the second. That's why they have a risk of a third wave from the Delta/Indian variant.
    90% of UK new cases are Delta variant. Probable just need to delay fully opening a bit.
    However on the other hand, prioritising getting people fully vaccinated means a larger pool of people waiting with no vaccination. The UK probably could not opened to the extent it did had they not spread their doses to a large number of people early on.

We opened slower and had made that publicly acceptable. UK hadn't invested the time and political capital to make that happen and thus picked the one vaccine option.
    We're possibly now opening ahead of the proposed schedule whilst UK are delaying opening.

• Advertisement

Will we see major increases in covid in Europe over the coming weeks?
    America is powering on with no negative impacts from scrapping restrictions while we're taking the extremely slow approach once more...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

America is powering on with no negative impacts from scrapping restrictions while we're taking the extremely slow approach once more...

Does the US have the Delta variant yet?
    It seems to be scuppering UK's plans to further ease restrictions.

The U.K. recorded the most coronavirus cases in a day since mid-February, amid warnings the current wave of infections driven by the highly transmissible delta variant may still be weeks from peaking. More than 11,000 new cases of the disease were reported on Thursday, along with 19 deaths, according to the Department Health.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-17/u-k-virus-cases-surge-even-as-vaccine-rollout-hits-milestone

Russia also being hit by it:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57511355

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Pierre Kory and Bret weinsteins podcast on covid exposes the whole lot, youtube pulling it down as misinformation is even more proof, think its still up on Spotify to listen too, with their been no profits to be made from promoting ivermectin as silver bullet its been buried as useless by big pharma

• Registered Users Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Pierre Kory and Bret weinsteins podcast on covid exposes the whole lot, youtube pulling it down as misinformation is even more proof, think its still up on Spotify to listen too, with their been no profits to be made from promoting ivermectin as silver bullet its been buried as useless by big pharma

It was pulled down because it is misinformation which you continue to spread.

It's not a silver bullet or if it is it hid its evidence pretty well when studies looked at it.
    The UK were studying dexamethasone, repurposed it and use it as a treatment for covid, where's the big pharma profits in that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_drug_repurposing_research

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »
    Does the US have the Delta variant yet?
    It seems to be scuppering UK's plans to further ease restrictions.

The U.K. recorded the most coronavirus cases in a day since mid-February, amid warnings the current wave of infections driven by the highly transmissible delta variant may still be weeks from peaking. More than 11,000 new cases of the disease were reported on Thursday, along with 19 deaths, according to the Department Health.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-06-17/u-k-virus-cases-surge-even-as-vaccine-rollout-hits-milestone

Russia also being hit by it:
    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-57511355

It seems to be only us and the uk that have such fear of variants.
    Uk is testing for variants much more intensively than any other country which is why they're finding them.
    It is very much scaremongering about the delta variant that has uk delaying opening. Runny nose and headache are the main symptoms ffs...
    It is a disgrace, but you can be wrong about how dangerous covid is any amoumt of times, they will all be forgotten about and you will still be deemed an expert at the end of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭jaymla627

odyssey06 wrote: »
    It was pulled down because it is misinformation which you continue to spread.

It's not a silver bullet or if it is it hid its evidence pretty well when studies looked at it.
    The UK were studying dexamethasone, repurposed it and use it as a treatment for covid, where's the big pharma profits in that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/COVID-19_drug_repurposing_research

Sure wasnt mainstream media kowtowing to china the past 18 months, and not exposing that this is in all likelihood a manmade virus brought about by a lab f**k up, all to suit a narrative that a sitting Us president was a rasict clown, open your eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Cruel morning here

One of the twins best friend "died" last night.

Really lovely fellow often spent nights and weekends here. Had a good job nice car loved a pint sensible though never drove when having a drink. This lockdown has being hard on the young ones. Lads had a few friends up last weekend but he didn't come. They were talking to him at a match during the week and now this.

They are gutted

We will miss him greatly as he was nearly part of the family here. God bless his parents

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Sorry for your loss.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Fred Daly

dzer2 wrote: »
    Cruel morning here

Really lovely fellow often spent nights and weekends here. Had a good job nice car loved a pint sensible though never drove when having a drink. This lockdown has being hard on the young ones. Lads had a few friends up last weekend but he didn't come. They were talking to him at a match during the week and now this.

They are gutted

We will miss him greatly as he was nearly part of the family here. God bless his parents

Take care all of ye may he rest in peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

dzer2 wrote: »
    Cruel morning here

They are gutted

That’s terrible sad for you all.

Herself was saying there is an explosion of issues, they are seeing masses of eating disorders coming in.

Advertisement