Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Water John wrote: »
    I think a lady on Prime time said we have 2,000 ventilators. We had about 500 ICU beds so hospitals are upscaling in a big way. May peak here in Mid April.
    They won’t all be used in an icu setting. There are sort of half way wards being created to facilitate the crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, but it's a higher stock than I thought we had. So as long as we have the staff to operate them, the health system won't be overwhelmed, if us, the public keep our side of the bargain.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Home care and isolation of cases

Clinical presentation among reported cases of COVID-19 varies in severity from asymptomatic, subclinical infection
    and mild illness to severe or fatal illness. Reports show that clinical deterioration can occur rapidly, often during the
    second week of illness [8,18,108,109]. For a description of the clinical presentation and vulnerable groups see the
    section on ‘Disease background’.
    Patients with a mild clinical presentation (mainly fever, cough, headache and malaise) will not initially require
    hospitalisation and may be safely managed in dedicated isolation facilities or at home. The majority of these cases
    will spontaneously recover without complications. However, as clinical signs and symptoms may worsen with
    progressive dyspnoea due to lower respiratory tract disease in the second week of illness, patients treated at home
    should be provided with instructions if they experience difficulties breathing. Sufficient call and reception capacity,
    as well as hospitalisation capacity have to be established to guarantee good access. An estimated 10–15% of mild
    cases progress to severe, and 15–20% of severe cases become critical according to data from China [8]. Home
    care could also be considered for symptomatic patients no longer requiring hospitalisation, or in a case of informed
    refusal of hospitalisation [108]. ECDC has proposed criteria for hospital discharge of confirmed COVID-19 cases
    [111].

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The rationale for imposition of Social Distancing:

(These are excerpts from an article comparing and contrasting Covid-19 and the Flu).

Transmission:

Both can be spread from person to person through droplets in the air from an infected person coughing, sneezing or talking.
    A possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route, meaning that tiny droplets remaining in the air could cause disease in others even after the ill person is no longer near.

Both can be spread by an infected person for several days before their symptoms appear.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Adam Grant

• Advertisement

greysides wrote: »
    The rationale for imposition of Social Distancing:

(These are excerpts from an article comparing and contrasting Covid-19 and the Flu).

Transmission:

Both can be spread from person to person through droplets in the air from an infected person coughing, sneezing or talking.
    A possible difference: COVID-19 might be spread through the airborne route, meaning that tiny droplets remaining in the air could cause disease in others even after the ill person is no longer near.

Both can be spread by an infected person for several days before their symptoms appear.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/health/conditions-and-diseases/coronavirus/coronavirus-disease-2019-vs-the-flu

There is a issue with ventilators and Covid.

The ventilators exhale air out the back but by their nature they aerosol the moisture in that air, since it’s from a contaminated patient the air quickly becomes filled with microscopic droplets that are small enough to float and move about.

Unprotected Staff can’t enter a room for 2 hours after a ventilator is switched off to let it settle. Particularly relevant to cleaning staff moving in after patients leave a room.

Wife was saying that lots of staff over 50 who would be eligible for early retirement will see out this crisis and many will retire.
    Lots of them saying they will do whatever needs doing now regarding hours and workload and then leave.

They are right.

I’d say we will see cases of PTSD from icu staff, it’s war time stuff they are facing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

What’s the story with a farmer that has to self isolate ?
    What happens if he has no one to milk his cows and feed his cattle?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

See boris has tested positive for corona

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

Ryan tub isolating also. Miriam doing the late late tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    Wife was saying that lots of staff over 50 who would be eligible for early retirement will see out this crisis and many will retire.
    Lots of them saying they will do whatever needs doing now regarding hours and workload and then leave.

They are right.

I’d say we will see cases of PTSD from icu staff, it’s war time stuff they are facing.

I can't understand them allowing early retirement now with pension money so tight. and the tax payers are getting their pension age pushed further out.

Reggie. wrote: »
    See boris has tested positive for corona

See how the herd immunity works out for him now.

Reading elsewhere he authorised 10000 ventilators from Dyson when never made on and will need significant trials before use. While they ordered none from a U.K. firm that are exporting ventilators because Dyson was a big Brexit supporter and the owner of the ventilator company snubbed him over Brexit. That’s pathetic behaviour.

wrangler wrote: »
    I can't understand them allowing early retirement now with pension money so tight. and the tax payers are getting their pension age pushed further out.

Existing contracts and the downturn won’t affect the pensions.

Would you refuse the very staff that are literally putting their lives on the line at this time?? Those that survive, and not all will, should be well looked after and not mistreated by small minded petty people.

You regularly show your distain for the public service, but now?? Really ??

Existing contracts and the downturn won’t affect the pensions.

Would you refuse the very staff that are literally putting their lives on the line at this time?? Those that survive, and not all will, should be well looked after and not mistreated by small minded petty people.

You regularly show your distain for the public service, but now?? Really ??

I'm sorry but it's their job,
    It's the public service that are pushing out the pension age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

They are right.

By the time this is over we will barely have the money to pay public sector wages, never mind bringing in some kind of early retirement scheme with full pension and all the costs associated with that (although that was the very carry on that happened during the last financial collapse, hopefully we know better this time)

I think it is fanciful in the extreme to expect any kind of early retirement scheme

Panch18 wrote: »
    By the time this is over we will barely have the money to pay public sector wages, never mind bringing in some kind of early retirement scheme with full pension and all the costs associated with that (although that was the very carry on that happened during the last financial collapse, hopefully we know better this time)

I think it is fanciful in the extreme to expect any kind of early retirement scheme

We don’t have to bring it in, it’s always been there. It’s written into their contracts and terms of employment.

I'm sorry but it's their job,
    It's the public service that are pushing out the pension age.

Maybe next time you have your plastic smile on getting treated by someone in hospital, let them know to their face how little you think of them and that your the type to anonymously berate them online. Always easier behind the keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

I don't see any mention of "bringing in" an early retirement scheme in _Brian's post.

Some of the current health staff are eligible for early retirement as things stand right now so if and when we get out the other side of this I can't see anyone stopping them from doing so. It'd be political suicide.

Public sector BAD though.

Keep fighting the good fight lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Boris Johnson's girlfriend is pregnant, hopefully she and the baby will be ok. The uk health minister has it too

Maybe next time you have your plastic smile on getting treated by someone in hospital, let them know to their face how little you think of them and that your the type to anonymously berate them online. Always easier behind the keyboard.

FFS There's a million on waiting lists, the inefficiencies will come home to roost now.......

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Boris Johnson's girlfriend is pregnant, hopefully she and the baby will be ok. The uk health minister has it too

She obviously survived close encounters with him, she’s probably a tough one.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Ryan tub isolating also. Miriam doing the late late tonight

He looked incredibly uncomfortable with the distancing last friday night. I couldn't believe that the ambulance guy kept coming towards him while tubridy kept stepping backwards..

FFS There's a million on waiting lists, the inefficiencies will come home to roost now.......

A broken fiddle can only play one tune

Lots of travel permits for essential services around, hopefully they'll use the BPS datbase too for contact names too.
    Must be more lockdowns coming

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I've been following the States with the last while. It's surprising to see Trump talk about an early release from restrictions while Democratic and Republican Governors are locking down their states.

It's going to be very bad there and quickly too:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

We don’t have to bring it in, it’s always been there. It’s written into their contracts and terms of employment.

Is it not 55 and it has to be approved on a case by case basis unless they have the full 40 years done??

Panch18 wrote: »
    Is it not 55 and it has to be approved on a case by case basis unless they have the full 40 years done??

I sent you a pm

I've been following the States with the last while. It's surprising to see Trump talk about an early release from restrictions while Democratic and Republican Governors are locking down their states.

He’s backed out of ordering the ventilators from GM, where will he turn to now. It’s not like having them is optional.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

https://twitter.com/timjhogan/status/1243000584254472195?s=19

Advertisement