Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Sick to the ****e of this whole COVID thing now supported the govt up to now but way too cautious now and too many mixed messages ,Leo practically said COVID was done last week ,no issue with indoor dining reopening now there fluffing and farting and making total mugs of restaurant and pub owners
    Cases are way down ,nos in hospital and icu way down and at manageable levels ,vulnerable groups vaccinated and great strides made with general population when the vaccine supply eventually started to flow they got the jabs into arms .enough is enough now we need to forge ahead with next stage of opening up ,its delta variant now ,there will be another soon enough and another and another …..we will have to live with this for years
    There’s going to be 60 k in Wembley next week and big crowds in stadiums right across Europe yet we are still tip toeing around

Have been saying it a while, but if we're to return to normality. The logic that underpins our response to covid has to be abandoned.
    Some of that can be seen already around not counting vaccinated people as close contacts but still a long way to go

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Sick to the ****e of this whole COVID thing now supported the govt up to now but way too cautious now and too many mixed messages ,Leo practically said COVID was done last week ,no issue with indoor dining reopening now there fluffing and farting and making total mugs of restaurant and pub owners
    Cases are way down ,nos in hospital and icu way down and at manageable levels ,vulnerable groups vaccinated and great strides made with general population when the vaccine supply eventually started to flow they got the jabs into arms .enough is enough now we need to forge ahead with next stage of opening up ,its delta variant now ,there will be another soon enough and another and another …..we will have to live with this for years
    There’s going to be 60 k in Wembley next week and big crowds in stadiums right across Europe yet we are still tip toeing around

I think we all feel that to some extent or another.

I do prefer the cautious approach, U.K. are taking a risk with increasing numbers of delta and delta plus variants.

I was going to try crack the “next two weeks will be crucial” joke but it’s not even funny any more.

What I know is for the likes of nephet, they are tasked with making recommendations that have serious health implications for millions of people, anyone given that responsibility will act cautiously, if not they shouldn’t be there.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,515 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

47 cases in hospital at the moment, some drop from over 2000 after Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    47 cases in hospital at the moment, some drop from over 2000 after Christmas

If we can withstand much increase in that number as the Delta strains become dominant it will surely build towards confidence in further reopening. I don’t think the 5th July is happening, maybe 1st August.

Heard Stephen Donnelly pressed on this and he deferred to Nephet, Donnelly is a shoot from the hip loose cannon, the fact that he’s already deflecting to Nephet tells me he’s not at all confident on 5th and maybe the decision is already made to delay it, he’s just setting someone else up to blame.

There are some terrible conflicts in what’s happening, indoor dining in Hotels yet cafes and restaurants can’t.

Yesterday we had graduation of 6th class, it was held in the chapel. Kids, teachers and two from each family, group photos and all, yet conformation with the exact group of attendees in the same chapel was deemed a risk and so cancelled.

Obvious conflicts like this erode people’s confidence in what we are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

• Advertisement

Pfizer jab for me on Monday

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Just heard today that someone that does a bit of work for me now and again has spent the last while in hospital with blood clots after getting the vaccine. Supposed to be serious enough and they don't really know how best to treat it. I know the chances of suffering these side effects are miniscule but that's not much comfort if you're the one that gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Just heard today that someone that does a bit of work for me now and again has spent the last while in hospital with blood clots after getting the vaccine. Supposed to be serious enough and they don't really know how best to treat it. I know the chances of suffering these side effects are miniscule but that's not much comfort if you're the one that gets it.
    I just hope in years to come that there isn’t a heap of people with side affects from these vaccines .the short term benefits are obvious to see but long term is a big unknown ,,,,big concern for me ….I know a few people who have short term but fairly bad side affects ranging from a big rash on arms and legs to very sore arms to days of just feeling completely useless and no energy ….and the response from the COVID helpline and doctors not overly encouraging

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I just hope in years to come that there isn’t a heap of people with side affects from these vaccines .the short term benefits are obvious to see but long term is a big unknown ,,,,big concern for me ….I know a few people who have short term but fairly bad side affects ranging from a big rash on arms and legs to very sore arms to days of just feeling completely useless and no energy ….and the response from the COVID helpline and doctors not overly encouraging

200k facebook followers page in the us for covid vaccine side effects suffers was pulled down as misinformation, study in Isreal just out after finding that for every 3 people saved by their vaccination program 2 people died from complications from vaccine

jaymla627 wrote: »
    200k facebook followers page in the us for covid vaccine side effects suffers was pulled down as misinformation, study in Isreal just out after finding that for every 3 people saved by their vaccination program 2 people died from complications from vaccine

I’m no ant vaxer but for one main reason and the worry re long term side effects I’m not jabbed yet ,a lot of the stuff from on line from people quoting all sorts I’d take with a pinch of salt but when I’m hearing of bad side effects from people I know and the poor response they get when they report it etc I’m just holding back
    I’m healthy ,youngish work in the open every day and just sitting back for now but I just hope people in years to come won’t suffer side effects from a vaccine that was developed in jig time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'm meeting a lot like you, I'ts easy for oldies to take the vaccine because even if there's side effects we won't have to tolerate them for long and we're financially independent of work.
    But I've talked to parents that are worried for their children ending up with a lifetime of side effects or themselves not being able to work and provide.
    The main problem with not being vaccinated and I even see it myself. I'm not taking the precautions now and we, the vaccinated, are still capable of transmitting the virus, so funerals weddings holidays concerts parties etc will be high risk situation for those that aren't vaccinated when it opens up

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I’m no ant vaxer but for one main reason and the worry re long term side effects I’m not jabbed yet ,a lot of the stuff from on line from people quoting all sorts I’d take with a pinch of salt but when I’m hearing of bad side effects from people I know and the poor response they get when they report it etc I’m just holding back
    I’m healthy ,youngish work in the open every day and just sitting back for now but I just hope people in years to come won’t suffer side effects from a vaccine that was developed in jig time

Have your folks and maybe other more vulnerable people in your circle been vaccinated Mahoney?

Have your folks and maybe other more vulnerable people in your circle been vaccinated Mahoney?

Most but not all ,.some have taken it more because they feel they have to rather than firmly believing it’s the correct thing to do ,,,one has had a pretty bad reaction

My sister was sick for days after getting hers, so I'm not looking forward to tomorrow. If I was single I would leave it another while, at least. But, herself is a teacher so it's unavoidable to be meeting people. I read the Pfizer jab has been linked to enlarged hearts, so it's all fun and games until someone get's something.

wrangler wrote: »
    I'm meeting a lot like you, I'ts easy for oldies to take the vaccine because even if there's side effects we won't have to tolerate them for long and we're financially independent of work.
    But I've talked to parents that are worried for their children ending up with a lifetime of side effects or themselves not being able to work and provide.
    The main problem with not being vaccinated and I even see it myself. I'm not taking the precautions now and we, the vaccinated, are still capable of transmitting the virus, so funerals weddings holidays concerts parties etc will be high risk situation for those that aren't vaccinated when it opens up

I’ve no issue continuing to take precautions ,I fully intend on trying to live as normal ,will have no issue doing an antigen test /pcr test before a match weeding concert etc even if vaccinated it’s not worth the hassle leaving the island for next year as with pcr tests before leaving either side risk is too high …..and even if vaccinated u can still get the virus and transmit it albeit at much lower levels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

wrangler wrote: »

You're right. that's why, despite side effects and the unproven nature of the vaccine it makes sense for vulnerable and older people.

But for younger people in their health I see no benefit in them taking a still experimental vaccine, as it doesn't prevent them transmitting the virus.

Edit: Seen the study on the Israeli trial that Jay mentioned earlier. Two deaths caused for every three prevented is not great at all.

I’ve no issue continuing to take precautions ,I fully intend on trying to live as normal ,will have no issue doing an antigen test /pcr test before a match weeding concert etc even if vaccinated it’s not worth the hassle leaving the island for next year as with pcr tests before leaving either side risk is too high …..and even if vaccinated u can still get the virus and transmit it albeit at much lower levels

I'm not concerned with you spreading the virus, but the fact that no one will be taking precautions and giving it to you.
    If the vaccine is sucessful the virus shouldn't be any worse than a flu for the vaccinated

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Neddyusa wrote: »
    You're right. that's why, despite side effects and the unproven nature of the vaccine it makes sense for vulnerable and older people.

But for younger people in their health I see no benefit in them taking a still experimental vaccine, as it doesn't prevent them transmitting the virus.

Edit: Seen the study on the Israeli trial that Jay mentioned earlier. Two deaths caused for every three prevented is not great at all.

Can you share link to this study and where info came from please. Very surprised hasn’t made headline news.

higster wrote: »
    Can you share link to this study and where info came from please. Very surprised hasn’t made headline news.

Heard it on a eric weinstein podcast this morning and the researchers where mentioned, go onto duckduckgo and type it in and it will come up, google wont allow you to see it

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

40% of people who were vaccinated have died?

• Advertisement

K9 wrote: »
    40% of people who were vaccinated have died?

Christ no would be a fraction of 1%, the case fatility rate from covid in Isreal is currently running at .8%

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Christ no would be a fraction of 1%, the case fatility rate from covid in Isreal is currently running at .8%

Fair difference in what you posted originally. Fatilitly rate running at .8% is surly down to the vaccination programme

K9 wrote: »
    Fair difference in what you posted originally. Fatilitly rate running at .8% is surly down to the vaccination programme

Thats the case fatality rate from the start of covid 19 for Isreal circa 830,000 confirmed cases and 6200 confirmed covid deaths, people seem to forget that covid 19 for most people is no worse then the flu our common cold, if it was made aware to people that are been vaccinated that their is 1 in say 300 chance the vaccince will kill you, the uptake of it would plummet, would you yourself fly in a plane with a 1 in 300 chance of crashing

Thats the case fatality rate from the start of covid 19 for Isreal circa 830,000 confirmed cases and 6200 confirmed covid deaths, people seem to forget that covid 19 for most people is no worse then the flu our common cold, if it was made aware to people that are been vaccinated that their is 1 in say 300 chance the vaccince will kill you, the uptake of it would plummet, would you yourself fly in a plane with a 1 in 300 chance of crashing

1 in 300?

I had a quick google there, and it seems to be about 1 million people fully vaccinated in ireland now...

Are you saying over 3000 people have been killed by the vaccine in Ireland so far?

1 in 300?

I had a quick google there, and it seems to be about 1 million people fully vaccinated in ireland now...

Are you saying over 3000 people have been killed by the vaccine in Ireland so far?

I personally know of 3 deaths that occured a few days after covid vaccine, partners sisters mother in law mid 50's had a mild stroke the day after getting 1st jab, the spike protein used in the vaccince to promote a immune response isnt something people should be putting in their body if they are young healthy and not suffering from any other co-morbities, world health organization specifically states pregnant women shouldnt be given vaccine yet the hse and doctors are actively promoting it, i woudlnt say the hse is even counting deaths that have occured after the vaccince has been recieved as realted to it, if other co-morbities are present thats what goes down on the death cert

I personally know of 3 deaths that occured a few days after covid vaccine, partners sisters mother in law mid 50's had a mild stroke the day after getting 1st jab, the spike protein used in the vaccince to promote a immune response isnt something people should be putting in their body if they are young healthy and not suffering from any other co-morbities, world health organization specifically states pregnant women shouldnt be given vaccine yet the hse and doctors are actively promoting it, i woudlnt say the hse is even counting deaths that have occured after the vaccince has been recieved as realted to it, if other co-morbities are present thats what goes down on the death cert

Sorry to hear about your relation...

Where is the 1 in 300 is coming from though?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Myself and OH are in our early 50's and our large cohort of friends/acquaintances and those either side of our age bracket have now all received either the AZ (single shot in most cases but some have now got their second shot) or Pfizer (double shot) or single shot J&J vaccines. Other than the normal sore arm and tiredness the next day only two people we know have had any other side affects -

1) my eldest brother woke up with shivers and shakes the night after receiving the AZ vaccine and had muscle cramp/pain for a couple of days after. He took paracetamol after getting the vaccine and for a few days later.
    2) A lady that works in a local shop had to quit work for a few days after receiving the J&J vaccine due to lethargy.
    So in our cohort of friends/acquaintances there have been no death's or hospitalisations due to receiving the vaccines.

Sorry to hear about your relation...

Where is the 1 in 300 is coming from though?

I've a cousin thats very involved in the whole thing in england, she says the problems are minute over there
    Something like 400 in 42,000,000.
    Or one in 10000, sorry , that's incorrect it's one in a hundred thousand

Base price wrote: »
    Myself and OH are in our early 50's and our large cohort of friends/acquaintances and those either side of our age bracket have now all received either the AZ (single shot in most cases but some have now got their second shot) or Pfizer (double shot) or single shot J&J vaccines. Other than the normal sore arm and tiredness the next day only two people we know have had any other side affects -

1) my eldest brother woke up with shivers and shakes the night after receiving the AZ vaccine and had muscle cramp/pain for a couple of days after. He took paracetamol after getting the vaccine and for a few days later.
    2) A lady that works in a local shop had to quit work for a few days after receiving the J&J vaccine due to lethargy.
    So in our cohort of friends/acquaintances there have been no death's or hospitalisations due to receiving the vaccines.

Where these reactions reported …..one person I’d know had pretty bad reaction ,rash on arms legs reported it had referred to a&e and just told take antihistamine,no proper details of the reaction etc ….heard of similar with others who had differing reactions …..this has to be worrying especially with new vaccines that we know very little about ….it all seems to be about the short term gains (cutting hospitalisation ,giving some immunity and ability to fight infection to older and vulnerable groups …..long term effects are a total unknown as we don’t know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭green daries

Not true

Advertisement