Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭green daries

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Where these reactions reported …..one person I’d know had pretty bad reaction ,rash on arms legs reported it had referred to a&e and just told take antihistamine,no proper details of the reaction etc ….heard of similar with others who had differing reactions …..this has to be worrying especially with new vaccines that we know very little about ….it all seems to be about the short term gains (cutting hospitalisation ,giving some immunity and ability to fight infection to older and vulnerable groups …..long term effects are a total unknown as we don’t know

They are really these vaccine vehicles have been in research and development for decade's its the reasons we have them so quickly I know you are hesitant on vaccine for now but I would know a ****load of people a large amount of them in the medical profession know of noone with really severe reactions to the vaccine but I know of four deaths from covid and 4 people who are suffering with long covid one of which cannot walk up stairs in her house unaided.............. she is 45 4 young children

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Where these reactions reported …..one person I’d know had pretty bad reaction ,rash on arms legs reported it had referred to a&e and just told take antihistamine,no proper details of the reaction etc ….heard of similar with others who had differing reactions …..this has to be worrying especially with new vaccines that we know very little about ….it all seems to be about the short term gains (cutting hospitalisation ,giving some immunity and ability to fight infection to older and vulnerable groups …..long term effects are a total unknown as we don’t know
    My brother has other health issues including severe asthma and eczema. He reported the side effects to the HSE.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

They are really these vaccine vehicles have been in research and development for decade's its the reasons we have them so quickly I know you are hesitant on vaccine for now but I would know a ****load of people a large amount of them in the medical profession know of noone with really severe reactions to the vaccine but I know of four deaths from covid and 4 people who are suffering with long covid one of which cannot walk up stairs in her house unaided.............. she is 45 4 young children

Full proper clinical trials not done on this though .someone made the point earlier about the older generation and if down the road there’s reactions /side affects without sounding crude they may already be deceased etc giving it to young fit healthy people who have lots of years ahead of them has to be a worry as it is an unknown and I wouldn’t like to be in any way sick from taking something not fully tested and trialed just for some short term relief now ….I also have a young daughter and atm it would in no way sit easy with me to give her something that down the road could cause her difficulty ..

Base price wrote: »
    My brother has other health issues including severe asthma and eczema. He reported the side effects to the HSE.

They were reported in case I outlined too but impression got was just yeadh yeadh thanks for telling us we’ll take a note of it …no follow up etc

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

Got 1st shot of Pfizer with no side effects, parents and siblings fully vaccinated and no side effects either. Sister is a consultant so if she’s happy to take it that’s good enough for me. All medicine has risk of side effects. People query safety of vaccines which they are entitled to do but if they were hospitalised, I’m sure they wouldn’t worry about the safety of the medicine they receive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭higster

Full proper clinical trials not done on this though .someone made the point earlier about the older generation and if down the road there’s reactions /side affects without sounding crude they may already be deceased etc giving it to young fit healthy people who have lots of years ahead of them has to be a worry as it is an unknown and I wouldn’t like to be in any way sick from taking something not fully tested and trialed just for some short term relief now ….I also have a young daughter and atm it would in no way sit easy with me to give her something that down the road could cause her difficulty ..

Understand and accept your opinion.fair point on long term clinical trials will take time.
    However, do not accept statements that know of people during due to getting vaccinations. Do now accept proper clinical trials have been done (they have over a 9month to 1 yr period and continue). All data I did are’s good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That was said to me only yesterday, worries about fertility . some are going to leave it a few years and let them decide.
    Again they'll be at huge risk of getting it when precautions are stopped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I was listenibg to an interview with George Hook earlier and he was explaining how a year is more important to the older generation as oppoaed to the younger generation, his logic was he might only have five years left so hes been in lockdown for 20% of that whereas i might have 60 years left in me(hopefully) which means ive been in lockdown for less than 2% of that.
    The same way of thinking could be applied to whatever side effectsif any from the vaccine in a sense that the older generation has a handful of years to live with it whereas i have a lifetime to live with it.

A very interesting interview and not what i was expecting from The Mario Rosenstock Podcast.

Better living everyone

higster wrote: »
    Understand and accept your opinion.fair point on long term clinical trials will take time.
    However, do not accept statements that know of people during due to getting vaccinations. Do now accept proper clinical trials have been done (they have over a 9month to 1 yr period and continue). All data I did are’s good to go.

Just struggling to get my head around why a fit young healthy person would opt for this ,imo too many unknowns .it just seems for now it’s all about short term gains ….down the road 🀔🀔🀔🀔🀔
    Everything in life carries a risk ,just need to weigh up if that risk is worth taking ..there is a lot of crap been spread about COVID etc online by some ,lots of it pie in sky stuff

wrangler wrote: »
    That was said to me only yesterday, worries about fertility . some are going to leave it a few years and let them decide.
    Again they'll be at huge risk of getting it when precautions are stopped.

Herd immunity …..

• Advertisement

They were reported in case I outlined too but impression got was just yeadh yeadh thanks for telling us we’ll take a note of it …no follow up etc

Why would they follow up, the patient lived. Would A and E not have done a report, Our GP said she'd report OHs symptoms..... but OH just wanted advice

I was listenibg to an interview with George Hook earlier and he was explaining how a year is more important to the older generation as oppoaed to the younger generation, his logic was he might only have five years left so hes been in lockdown for 20% of that whereas i might have 60 years left in me(hopefully) which means ive been in lockdown for less than 2% of that.
    The same way of thinking could be applied to whatever side effectsif any from the vaccine in a sense that the older generation has a handful of years to live with it whereas i have a lifetime to live with it.

A very interesting interview and not what i was expecting from The Mario Rosenstock Podcast.

I actually listened to that …pretty good

Herd immunity …..

There'll be enough non vaccinated to keep it simmering. herd immunity only works if everyone is immune. I know a good few here that aren't getting the vaccine

Why would they follow up, the patient lived. Would A and E not have done a report, Our GP said she'd report OHs symptoms..... but OH just wanted advice

Would of thought with a new vaccine ,a reported side affect they would want as much info as possible …

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭K9

There'll be enough non vaccinated to keep it simmering. herd immunity only works if everyone is immune. I know a good few here that aren't getting the vaccine

Not to mention It’s already mutated a few times already and become more contagious etc. Nothing to say it won’t mutate to carry greater risk to younger people.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Saw a consultant talking on the topic of long term effects from vaccines. He said there are no recorded instances where a modern vaccine has caused long term effects in the population. He pointed out that evidence has shown that effects from vaccines on individuals in the population are either instant or show within a matter of weeks, he said there were no instances where effects show up years later.
    He said that this talk of long term effects is total red herring been thrown out by anti vaxers desperate to say anything.

I smiled at a conversation within my extended family. My sister was saying her daughter, 26 wasn’t getting the vaccine as she was worried about the talk of fertility worries. Next week she said the daughter took the vaccine at work because there was talk she couldn’t go on foreign holidays if she wasn’t vaccinated,

Just struggling to get my head around why a fit young healthy person would opt for this ,imo too many unknowns .it just seems for now it’s all about short term gains ….down the road 🀔🀔🀔🀔🀔
    Everything in life carries a risk ,just need to weigh up if that risk is worth taking ..there is a lot of crap been spread about COVID etc online by some ,lots of it pie in sky stuff

Im the same opinion myself, cant understand how most young people i know who are in a mad panic to get the jab are smokers, morbidly obese or regularly do cocaine. Talking to a heavy smoker friend about it and as worried and all about the disease and when hell get the vaccine he hasnt made an effort to quit smoking since all this started, he made the point though at least he can take me some way serious when i say im cautious about taking it as i actually try to mind myself some bit at least.

Better living everyone

It’ll be very interesting in the say 18/35 age group to see the amount that will choose not to get it ..from talking to lads in that age bracket in here with contractors or relief milking etc ….they’ll take convincing and these would be lads with a bit of sense ….they say there’s lots of others they know from school will just point blank refuse it because they think the whole system is against them and this is there chance to give it the 2 fingers !!!!!

I actually listened to that …pretty good

A few very interesting pointa made about the handling of everything at the minute, an interesting comparison to Britain during The Blitz too as so much people love to refer to similar times on this thread.

Better living everyone

It’ll be very interesting in the say 18/35 age group to see the amount that will choose not to get it ..from talking to lads in that age bracket in here with contractors or relief milking etc ….they’ll take convincing and these would be lads with a bit of sense ….they say there’s lots of others they know from school will just point blank refuse it because they think the whole system is against them and this is there chance to give it the 2 fingers !!!!!

Sure it's everyones choice, young people probably don't need it, it won't make any difference to the rest of us unless they block up hospitals or funeral homes.

• Advertisement

Ive a cousin who thinks there is something really sinister going on and he gets very upset when people mention the vaccine around him, its advised to leave the house if he kicks off over it. The PUP has him destroyed i cant see him ever working again, at a family wedding the first ftom our generation he declared hell never give us a day out as he doesnt want the government getting involved in his life. But ar the sane time you have the extremists on the other side too and as the song goes "clowns to the left of me, jokers to my right and here i am stuck in the middle with you.

Better living everyone

_Brian wrote: »
    Saw a consultant talking on the topic of long term effects from vaccines. He said there are no recorded instances where a modern vaccine has caused long term effects in the population. He pointed out that evidence has shown that effects from vaccines on individuals in the population are either instant or show within a matter of weeks, he said there were no instances where effects show up years later.
    He said that this talk of long term effects is total red herring been thrown out by anti vaxers desperate to say anything.

I smiled at a conversation within my extended family. My sister was saying her daughter, 26 wasn’t getting the vaccine as she was worried about the talk of fertility worries. Next week she said the daughter took the vaccine at work because there was talk she couldn’t go on foreign holidays if she wasn’t vaccinated,

The whole healthcare system etc has so many unknowns and question marks ,this vaccine was developed in record time (I’d still have question marks on long term side affects )as this is a world wide issue ,lots of people are dying and economies are been put under huge strain ….part of me is wondering is everything just been rushed to get economies open and money turning ….and sure of there is issues down the road well ….there down the road
    Why can’t cures be got for cancer ,alzheimers,Parkinson’s etc …..my sister who works in a he’s lab is adamant there’s cures out there but drug companies are turning so much money on what drugs are currently there to treat them are stalling it ……all about money

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

My brother's GP kept an eye/ear on him and phoned him and my sister daily to make sure that he was ok. I'd prefer not to go into specifics only to say that my brother survived a rare acute illness in the late 50's/early 60's.

Everything we put in our bodies has the potential to cause a side effect some catastrophic some mild .Panadol can kill you foods can give you an extreme allergic reaction a wasp sting almost killed my cousin I still remember it 30 Years later alcohol is a contributes to diabetes cancer obesity liver disease brain damage and heart disease
    The rota vaccine for young babies can cause bowel rupture I've given it to my kids
    It's fairly well tested tbh it wouldn't be licensed otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Not true. Covid will still be here if we vaccinate everyone on the planet. It's going nowhere regardless of vaccination.

A young person needs to decide if the risk of being infected with a disease that causes no symptoms to mild cold symptoms is a risk worth taking. There's zero need for it. All those who had a use for it are covered at this stage.

A large percentage of the population not being vaccinated is a great thing to have to reduce selection pressure for variants that will be highly effective at circumventing vaccine immunity

K9 wrote: »
    Not to mention It’s already mutated a few times already and become more contagious etc. Nothing to say it won’t mutate to carry greater risk to younger people.

It will the amazing thing is that it hasn't happened but the real kicker is that we got really lucky as a species because of the age group it really attacked first it was expected that it would be like the kanas flu and would wipe out children and young people

Sure it's everyones choice, young people probably don't need it, it won't make any difference to the rest of us unless they block up hospitals or funeral homes.

That made me laugh out loud

Base price wrote: »
    My brother's GP kept an eye/ear on him and phoned him and my sister daily to make sure that he was ok. I'd prefer not to go into specifics only to say that my brother survived a rare acute illness in the late 50's/early 60's.

Go in this case did too I think out of concern for patient …..no follow up from whoever was rang on the COVID help desk (not the individual )the actual people/body who oversee all this

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Whats your precieved figures of healthy under 40's in Ireland that have died our done a hospital stay due to covid 19

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Whats your precieved figures of healthy under 40's in Ireland that have died our done a hospital stay due to covid 19

From what i know there's very few did a hospital stay but I hear of a good few long term effects, most commonl seems to be taste, smell, lethargy.
    We've gone out a few times lately and evrywhere seems to be back to normal apart from not dining indoors. Even older ones are glad to get out, we still have to be careful as OH hasn't had her second AZ and one AZ seems to be useles against the new variant.
    Alot of suicides in young people at the moment whether you'd call that due to Covid, but they were climbing anyway before covid

Advertisement