Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,515 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

_Brian wrote: »
    Wife was in A&E with youngest yesterday..

Anyway usual auld gowls about giving out about everything.. best one was "and it turned out it wasnt even covid he had anyway, it was coronavirus, where ever the fcuk he got that"

Had they a long wait in a and e? Friend was waiting over 10 hours last week for an xray on her son

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Maybe someone can answer this - Is covid mutating quicker than other viruses? I know the flu virus mutates, but not over a single season?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had they a long wait in a and e? Friend was waiting over 10 hours last week for an xray on her son

No.
    The went to minor injuries unit in Monaghan but because she’d had a fall and her back was sore they wouldn’t see her. Over to Cavan, she was seen in 2 hours, X-ray done and read in 4 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Maybe someone can answer this - Is covid mutating quicker than other viruses? I know the flu virus mutates, but not over a single season?

Flu mutates more quickly and escapes prior immunity to a greater extent.
    The flu vaccine every year gets rejigged with 3-4 new variants.

There are covid variants, but afaik if you had the alpha variant you still have significant prior immunity to delta. And our current covid vaccines are effective against alpha and delta variants, albeit a little less effective against delta.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Slower than ful but coronaviruses operate differently and aren't as affected by preexisting immunity as are flu viruses. They act more like an ambush and can get the jump on someone who's immune system is slow to respond for whatever reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

jaymla627 wrote: »
    We are the most indebted nation in the Eu we have passed into 50k owed by every man,women and child in the state, and state debt is gone past a quater of a trillion, financially as a country we havent a pot to piss-in, but our public servants and goverment dont seem to grasp this....
    They have destroyed the Tourism sector our hellbent on torpeoding the agricultural sector and all this in the context if the bond markets stopped lending in the morning we would become a 3rd world country over-night, any of us with substainal assets are going to be taxed into extinction to pay for all this

Ithink the fact that scotland has 3000 cases today after opening up and the north has foour times the number they had a few weeks ago must surelay rubbish any ones idea that opening up is safe

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

wrangler wrote: »
    Ithink the fact that scotland has 3000 cases today after opening up and the north has foour times the number they had a few weeks ago must surelay rubbish any ones idea that opening up is safe

Cases on there own can’t be the Be all …numbers in hospital ,icu and deaths are the more important figures now as I’m presuming with older vulnerable groups vaccinated younger people getting it for most part can fight it without hospitalisation
    The levels of scaremongering now is just ridiculous ,just read nephet wanted to shut indoor dining till September which then would probably be kicked further as with more mixing the normal flu will be back this year ….
    Michael and Leo have lost all credibility nephet are there to advise the govt but comming out publicly with this crap …the mind boggles …then throw in the arrogance and the reluctance to use antigen testing ,a total power trip with a spineless gutless government afraid to at least try and give us snd the hospitality sector a chance ….there will be unregulated house parties /dinner parties etc now as a result which could have a spike talking to people /pub owners etc last few days there’s just solid fed up now outdoor dining days like today is grand but in Ireland these days are very limited wet ****ty days who wants to eat outside ….this govt will be absolutely wiped at the next election

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Cases on there own can’t be the Be all …numbers in hospital ,icu and deaths are the more important figures now as I’m presuming with older vulnerable groups vaccinated younger people getting it for most part can fight it without hospitalisation
    The levels of scaremongering now is just ridiculous ,just read nephet wanted to shut indoor dining till September which then would probably be kicked further as with more mixing the normal flu will be back this year ….
    Michael and Leo have lost all credibility nephet are there to advise the govt but comming out publicly with this crap …the mind boggles …then throw in the arrogance and the reluctance to use antigen testing ,a total power trip with a spineless gutless government afraid to at least try and give us snd the hospitality sector a chance ….there will be unregulated house parties /dinner parties etc now as a result which could have a spike talking to people /pub owners etc last few days there’s just solid fed up now outdoor dining days like today is grand but in Ireland these days are very limited wet ****ty days who wants to eat outside ….this govt will be absolutely wiped at the next election
    I don't know if that is going to be the case or not. AFAIK all the parties have agreed so far with the decisions made. Having said that they (Government Parties) all point the finger back to the CMO and NPHET so they have a scapegoat :rolleyes:
    A friend of ours works for a civil engineering company. He along with his co-workers have been living in hotels around the country for the past couple of months, dining/drinking indoors before/after work every day before heading back to his family home for the weekend.

He has got 2 Pfizer shots but some of the younger lads/lassies that he works with haven't received any yet. They have to take a test every few days to make sure they don't have covid and their temperature is taken every morning.
    At this stage I think they should open restaurants/pubs for indoor dining and let everyone make their own decisions as to whether they want to go or not. If they get sick and have to go to hospital/ICU then they live or die by their decision. If the hospitals/ICU's get over run with people then unfortunately casualties will escalate.

Personal responsibility has to factored into the equation.

Base price wrote: »
    I don't know if that is going to be the case or not. AFAIK all the parties have agreed so far with the decisions made. Having said that they (Government Parties) all point the finger back to the CMO and NPHET so they have a scapegoat :rolleyes:
    A friend of ours works for a civil engineering company. He along with his co-workers have been living in hotels around the country for the past couple of months, dining/drinking indoors before/after work every day before heading back to his family home for the weekend.

He has got 2 Pfizer shots but some of the younger lads/lassies that he works with haven't received any yet. They have to take a test every few days to make sure they don't have covid and their temperature is taken every morning.
    At this stage I think they should open restaurants/pubs for indoor dining and let everyone make their own decisions as to whether they want to go or not. If they get sick and have to go to hospital/ICU then they live or die by their decision. If the hospitals/ICU's get over run with people then unfortunately casualties will escalate.

Personal responsibility has to factored into the equation.

The govt have to sign off on the recommendation tho ,buck stops there …nephet need reeking in tho they seem to have feee reign to just shoot from the hip ….they are advisors to the govt after all
    Personal responsibility yeadh …..but people have to be given a choice wether or not to exercise that right …..there’s nothing to be learnt by staying as we are

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭jaymla627

https://www.newindianexpress.com/opinions/2021/jun/30/how-to-prevent-a-third-wave-of-covid-19-2323222.html any of the more learned posters know if this is even on the radar of the hse as a treatment, our does our dear leader Tony say no

• Advertisement

https://www.newindianexpress.com/opinions/2021/jun/30/how-to-prevent-a-third-wave-of-covid-19-2323222.html any of the more learned posters know if this is even on the radar of the hse as a treatment, our does our dear leader Tony say no

And the added bonus of been covered for worms as well ….win win !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/ivermectin-why-potential-covid-treatment-isnt-recommended-use

I only found that using google

I'm not qualified to say whether its right or wrong. But I suppose for every article saying it should be used, there seems to be another saying it shouldn't.

I dont know if Tony would be the person to say yes or no, I imagine this would come from the EU first? (We dont run trails like this in Ireland do we?)

I see the UKis starting a trial (again, from google)
    https://www.contagionlive.com/view/ivermectin-to-be-analyzed-in-uk-trial-as-possible-covid-19-treatment

So, maybe the EU should be doing the same, or maybe we can just take the UK results?

So, to me, it looks like its not clear whether Ivermectin is a cure or not? :confused:

https://www.gavi.org/vaccineswork/ivermectin-why-potential-covid-treatment-isnt-recommended-use

I only found that using google

I'm not qualified to say whether its right or wrong. But I suppose for every article saying it should be used, there seems to be another saying it shouldn't.

I dont know if Tony would be the person to say yes or no, I imagine this would come from the EU first? (We dont run trails like this in Ireland do we?)

I see the UKis starting a trial (again, from google)
    https://www.contagionlive.com/view/ivermectin-to-be-analyzed-in-uk-trial-as-possible-covid-19-treatment

So, maybe the EU should be doing the same, or maybe we can just take the UK results?

So, to me, it looks like its not clear whether Ivermectin is a cure or not? :confused:

Google recieves billions of dollars in advertising from big pharma, they are censoring anyone that pushes ivermectin simply to protect their own interests, the main reason for black listing ivermectin was people in south america injecting themselves with ivermectin for horses not the human form

Would you not be concerned an article that floats such concepts as this,with zero evidence to prove it...is using emotional and poor logic to sell its point?
    Medical professionals who work in super-speciality hospitals are none too happy about a drug that will drastically reduce hospital dependency.

The biggest scandel around covid...is the oxford/astra vaccine was orginally to be sold at <e5 a pop...is relatively speaking easy manufactered/stored....but bill gates gotten involved and wouldnt wave the copyright.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,909 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Google recieves billions of dollars in advertising from big pharma, they are censoring anyone that pushes ivermectin simply to protect their own interests, the main reason for black listing ivermectin was people in south america injecting themselves with ivermectin for horses not the human form

More lies and disinformation.
    This is conspiracy theory nonsense utterly without merit or foundation.
    Google dexamethasone and covid and see what comes up.
    Major countries are already looking at re-purposing meds.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

odyssey06 wrote: »

The same thing was said about the Hunter Biden laptop leaks, few months later it was proven as been true, facebook/google buried the story at the time as misinformation so logically they could be doing the exact same thing re ivermectin, i dont use google as a search engine duckduckgo is my go to

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

See nphet is getting replaced

Nphet sidelined as Government set to defy advice and press on with rapid antigen tests

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/health/nphet-sidelined-as-governmentset-to-defy-advice-and-press-on-withrapid-antigen-tests-40600533.html

The same thing was said about the Hunter Biden laptop leaks, few months later it was proven as been true, facebook/google buried the story at the time as misinformation so logically they could be doing the exact same thing re ivermectin, i dont use google as a search engine duckduckgo is my go to

Its not a logical infersion to say facebook/google doing same around ivermectin?

Its a self-afirming belief,to arrive at a pre conceived conclusion thats dubious at best

Its been known about ivermectin since earlist days of this pandemic,i mean i read about it in first lockdown...iirc it was in the gaurdian website..heres augest 2020

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/australia-news/2020/aug/13/what-is-ivermectin-and-should-we-be-using-it-to-treat-covid-19

I mean it in politist possible way,but your being sold a highly questionable line of sensational garble which is thin on facts,but high on emotional premise

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I dont know how to respond to this to be honest, maybe its true, but I'm not buying it.
    Sure every newspaper or media outlet or any company that deals with the public receives advertising revenue, so nothing you read or hear is to be believed if you followed your logic...

I dont know anything about the India express paper (the link which you posted above) but do you know where their revenue is coming from? Sure maybe they are in bed with the ivermectin crew?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,408 ✭✭✭✭Water John

NPHET isn't right on everything and is not the sole guidance Govn't should listen to. NPHET is largely the medical and statistical input. Hasn't been 100 % correct on all those either. Wearing masks should have been promoted earlier. They were slow in that area. I think the same can be said for regular testing. On balance the QR code showing you have been vaccinated, have had Covid or a recent negative test, should allow you do most things. That includes indoor dining.
    However, I will say by and large NPHET have seen after us well.
    To be clear, being vaccinated doesn't say you cannot get Covid. What it means is that you are most unlikely to be hospitalised. Annoying to see the conspiracy theorists using the fact that you may still contract Covid as a proof that vaccinations don't work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Health care workers starting to contract delta variant of covid at worrying rates. Gone from virtually no cases in fully vaccinated staff for months to increasing though still small numbers due to less efficacy, problem is it's not in huge circulation yet either.
    Outcomes are encouraging with only milder forms reported and no need for hospitalisations, that's why indoor dining isn't going to happen as it's a step back already.
    Sisters hospitals has 4 possibly 5 nurses out from a&e.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Health care workers starting to contract delta variant of covid at worrying rates. Gone from virtually no cases in fully vaccinated staff for months to increasing though still small numbers due to less efficacy, problem is it's not in huge circulation yet either.
    Outcomes are encouraging with only milder forms reported and no need for hospitalisations, that's why indoor dining isn't going to happen as it's a step back already.
    Sisters hospitals has 4 possibly 5 nurses out from a&e.

Wonder when will frontline staff start getting top up jabs ??

I was encouraging the kids to get out amd make arrangements to meet as many of their friends and do plenty of activities at the moment as there’s a chance we will see further lockdowns hitting.

Indoor dining is one thing, indoor drinking is probably something we should avoid for a while, there’s too many waiting to get shiit faced and slobber over each other, that doesn’t happen so much with indoor dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    Wonder when will frontline staff start getting top up jabs ??

I was encouraging the kids to get out amd make arrangements to meet as many of their friends and do plenty of activities at the moment as there’s a chance we will see further lockdowns hitting.

Indoor dining is one thing, indoor drinking is probably something we should avoid for a while, there’s too many waiting to get shiit faced and slobber over each other, that doesn’t happen so much with indoor dining.
    That's already happening ringside in some livestock marts but the online camera's are selectively positioned that you cannot see. I attended 3 marts in the last week and was shocked at the carry on. Most people were wearing face masks but a lot had them shoved under their chins and there was a good few not even bothering to wear one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Lads if you think the pubs are closed your seriously delusional. Nearly every one around me are open with "outside drinks". House parties are rife, took the young lad to match Wednesday evening easily 300 at it. Extra 20k coming into the country last week also but no one can leave. Joined up thinking me hole

• Registered Users Posts: 29,515 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

dzer2 wrote: »
    Lads if you think the pubs are closed your seriously delusional. Nearly every one around me are open with "outside drinks". House parties are rife, took the young lad to match Wednesday evening easily 300 at it. Extra 20k coming into the country last week also but no one can leave. Joined up thinking me hole

Was in local village this evening around 5.30pm. Walked by one pub and there was a sing song going on. Imagine what they'd be like by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Was in local village this evening around 5.30pm. Walked by one pub and there was a sing song going on. Imagine what they'd be like by now.

Only so long people are willing to be treated like children, if people don't want to head out grand, but at this stage covid isnt going anywhere, so we might as well get used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Base price wrote: »
    That's already happening ringside in some livestock marts but the online camera's are selectively positioned that you cannot see. I attended 3 marts in the last week and was shocked at the carry on. Most people were wearing face masks but a lot had them shoved under their chins and there was a good few not even bothering to wear one.

16 months on & double jabbed them fellas are still mad a live.doomsday predictions still being peddled all the while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

dzer2 wrote: »

I'd be in the middle of it too,only I'm fine just here.twenty years ago though, you needn't try stop me from joining them.

I hope their enjoying themselves for what the boss man has penciled in for September onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Great to see people enjoying themselves, why shouldn’t they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

odyssey06 wrote: »

Google? There’s your problem.

Advertisement