Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Horrible horrible drug that is, was in Adelaide and rumour had it that as the ice was so expensive and high unemployment rates etc the addicts were injecting the ice as they got a high that lasted for days after it. More bang for there buck. Knew an Irish girl over there who told me she tried Ice a few years beforehand i was speechless and she asked me why is it that everyone has the same reaction when they hear that.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

Was living in a house with a lad who used to disappear after work on a Saturday and without fail turn up half an hour before work on a Monday after being on that shite, he'd be wired for a few days but come Wednesday he'd be falling asleep on the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A neighbour in his early 70's died last week in ICU with pneumonia. He tested positive for Covid in August after taking a mandatory PCR test before flying to the UK to visit family. He went for the HSE test a few days later and it was also positive. He didn't have any symptoms at the time but within a week he developed a harsh cough. He has been working on the farm up until two weeks ago before he had to go to hospital due to breathing difficulties. He was awful careful about wearing his face mask/sanitising his hands when he went to collect his pension and buy the groceries for the week.

He was a lovely man and I will miss chatting to him about the in's and out's of rearing cattle nowdays.

Friend of mine, both his kids are positive for Covid. Big outbreak locally in the schools, seems to have stemmed from one family preferring to give their kids calpol before school instead of bringing them for a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I was told of a neighbouring young lad (20s) who had refused the vaccine, unfortunately is now in intensive care with covid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

All you can do is do your best, once you meet people you're at risk, I presume he was vaccinated

Yes he was doubly vaccinated - he was in the age cohort that I think got the vaccines in May/June.

Vaccine is not 100%, plenty of breakthrough infections occuring, hopefully they'll get a successfull vaccine soon.

OH has a science background and she says it was going to be a difficult virus to contain because of it's make up

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Big surge in outbreaks around me too ….pubs seemingly fairly blase as regards distancing inside etc …it’s going to be a long winter and another lockdown of some sort looks inevitable …in our local Agri store seen one local guy whom has had his teenage /early 20s kid test positive over last few months …wandering around making a half arsed attempt to shove his hat to his face now and again ..too many seem to have forgot the simple guidelines to stop/restrict the spread …vacine appears effective enough at preventing serious illness etc but not great at halting transmission

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Hopefully the antivirals will be soon available and that's another weapon in the armoury. Frontline workers really need the booster, even Paul Reid said so. Can't see why it's not yet recommended. They should simply get the vaccinated list starting from last Jan and offer everyone a six month booster in turn.

Pondering the thoughts of going to a walk in centre at the weekend, all the talk of boosters is putting me off is it a thing we have to keep topped up into our bodies on a regular basis or what way will it fare out. Thoughts of all the stories of lads being in a bad way after the jab still dont fill me with confidence either.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

They cant go in too quickly with the boosters and risk them failing to do much. Aim to be getting them out just after the peak so everyone gets a clap on the back as things are reducing. Just like back in spring...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,391 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well as an over 60, I now get my flu jab topped up each year. Really haven't come across anyone having a bad reaction to the vaccine. You'd be getting an mRNA if you go. I would encourage you to go. It's a bit like putting on a seat belt. I was in an accident years ago where a young lad crashed into my trailer load of hay, sliding in under the chassis. Diving onto the passenger seat saved his life and he could do it because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt. He beat the odds, but that doesn't mean that he doesn't use a seatbelt nowadays. The odds are much better with the vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭jaymla627

You'll probably see booster jabs mandated after we have a meaningful Xmas that leads to skyrocketing cases, anyone gone past the 6 months of last vaccination will have to get a another jab to keep their passes valid, vaccines some as much use as a Johnny with holes in it, going by the number of breakthrough cases locally...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

A johnny is an interesting analogy considering their manufacturers don't claim they are 100% effective either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I say feck it, just get it, but it’s your call Carroll’s…

Your post has a feeling of a lad who will always be just about to get it, but will find some reason not to… 😉

I could be wrong to say that though… 🙂

Hard to bloody know really juat saw an article where Dr Holohan said vaccines wont be enough and weve 93% innoculated now no matter what we wont get 100% either i reckon. @Dinzee Conlee i was dead set against it up until today @Water John the only reason i would have taken it before today was if it was gauranteeing entry to Australia which seems to be getting further and further away by the day anyway. I suppose the whole thing where the pharmaceuticals have no liability is putting me off too.

Better living everyone

Yeah, the more you read, the more you’d be confused I’d say…

I don’t know, I got the vaccine, was happy to do so. I can’t really say any more to you except you have to decide yourself what to do…

Plus i do know of two cases through work where one lad ended up on a ventilator after the first shot, another fella was just f#cked after it. I thought pfizer was one shot now i realised its two shot so i dont even know where to starr on any of this.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

Yeah, am sure you know of plenty people who got the vaccine who were fine as well…

I don’t know, I’m no medical professional to tell you why or what to do. I can only say what I did…

Like I said earlier - if you look for reasons not to get the jab, you’ll find them… You just have to decide which way to go, and roll with it…

Ask yourself do you see it benefiting you in anyway. If the answer is no. Why would you. It's not as if you being vaccinated gives the mythical benefits to the community that we were told from the start it would.

If carroll ends up with long covid he'll always wonder could he be better if he didn't listen to you.

It's up to him to decide if there'll be a benefit. If not why take it? It's questionable is long covid actually the issue it was made out to be or was that just more hysteria trying to nudge the population in what was deemed the right direction.

Government probably doesn't give a damn whether you do or not. As long as they print the guidelines they've done their job.

Isn't it obvious, they bring in a lockdown and know they have neither the will nor the manpower to enforce it

Nurses and doctors in hospitals might rather you did get the vaccine

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

See dr tony has come out this evening saying the vaccine isn’t performing as well as expected in halting the spread of Covid …….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

...dot dot dot...

It's like a bad daytime TV drama the plot is so predictable!

And yet anyone who predicts it, (Yesemoite Sam and others) somehow get labelled as conspiracy-theorists 😅

Think that's obvious now, I'll still take it in the hope of it reducing the affects when i get it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Where are people hearing about all these big outbreaks ?Nothing around here as far as I am aware and I would be out and about a fair bit .The usual scare stories about so and so who got covid and almost died etc .

As regards pubs our local ones dispensed with any pretense of even bothering with any of this months ago .Walk into any of them and its like 2019 ie no masks ,never even been asked for covid pass/blue card and stools back at the bar .Packed at the weekends by all accounts (I'm a midweek 11;15pm pub goer to be honest )and busy enough rest of the time but nowhere back to pre covid levels yet .The restrictions are not even a minor topic of conversation any more as its all moved onto CAP and how the Greens are gonna wreck the place .

Soccer and football started back as normal and any protocols that were in place last year are totally gone .The only visible reminder of covid is people scrambling to find a mask as they enter a supermarket .Small local shops ,tractor and motor factors etc very few even bother to mask wear any more .Wife says most supermarket sanitiser stations are empty these days .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I know lots of people, every age who have had the vaccines, family members, friends, neighbours. az, Pfizer, moderna, no one that I know of had any complications. I drank lots of water before and after, don't know if that helped.

Advertisement