Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How about couriers ??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

They're starting testing for antibodies in the UK very soon. The results might not tally exactly with what we've been told.

Well they should hurry up here with that here too.
    Otherwise the only sods that can with certainty go out and run the country are those that tested positive in the small % that have been tested. And even that small number are locked down now as well.
    The thing is there's people still freaking out about getting it and they've most certainly already had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Otherwise the only sods that can with certainty go out and run the country are those that tested positive in the small % that have been tested. And even that small number are locked down now as well.
    The thing is there's people still freaking out about getting it and they've most certainly already had it.

They're still developing the test for antibodies. These things don't exactly happen overnight, if it were it would be out there already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2020/03/oxford-study-coronavirus-may-have-infected-half-of-u-k.html

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

We have a template of how to deal with this. Both from the WHO and those countries like South Korea that are ahead of us and limited the spread.
    The positive number will flatten and then fall.
    We shouldn't be following anything the UK or the US are doing. Both are recipes for disaster. The US wasted their time making their own test. The UK bought a heap of antigen test kits, which seem to be faulty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

If anybody has the report that was posted in the Covid thread from the Italian nat health institute it would be interesting to see it? I glanced at it earlier. Very hard to keep up with all the posts...

Found it, interesting to see if we get more data...
    Blut2 wrote: »
    Has there been any coverage in the media yet of the new report by a working group of Italian doctors from the Italian Istituto Superiore di Sanità (Higher Institute of Health)? They last night just released the first detailed report on covid deaths so far in the country. Its got a couple of very interesting highlights:

jwuF5xd.jpg

Heres the age ranges of deaths: essentially non-existent for under 40s. 9 total people under 40. Of that 9, they tested 7 for underlying conditions, and 100% had them - either debates, obesity etc. Not a single healthy person under 40 has died from it.

And here are the overall deaths, across all age ranges:

hW7qz8D.jpg

This is part is absolutely key. Only 1.2% of Italian deaths, across all age ranges, had no underlying health conditions (diabetes, COPD etc). It looks like its not only just not killing young people, its not killing healthy old people.

https://www.epicentro.iss.it/coronavirus/bollettino/Report-COVID-2019_26_marzo_eng.pdf

It seems like this is pretty huge, positive news? Once it gets wider media coverage I'd imagine we'll see a lot of pressure to lift quarantines for the not-at-risk sections of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

That lads last point is still mute tho. The not at risk part of society has to stay home to protect the at risk part

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

The most notable thing about those graphs is that it is three times more likely to kill a man than a woman. Except above.80/90 which is probably due to more women living longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

_Brian wrote: »
    How about couriers ??

Hard to know, brother is on his way up to Dublin with lorry and Low-loader to draw diggers and plant equipment as a favour to a friend, security is going off-site at 12, so everything’s needs to be got off-site

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

507290.jpg

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

Is it saying that you can’t walk with your wife/ husband. ???

• Registered Users Posts: 36 corkgal_89

I’m in Dublin for the night and was due to go home to Cork tomorrow - will I be allowed on the train in the morning to go home?? Have my passport
    /driving licence with me stating that I reside in Cork.. Still though, am worried that I’ll trapped here for the next 2 weeks!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

corkgal_89 wrote: »
    I’m in Dublin for the night and was due to go home to Cork tomorrow - will I be allowed on the train in the morning to go home?? Have my passport
    /driving licence with me stating that I reside in Cork.. Still though, am worried that I’ll trapped here for the next 2 weeks!!

Mind me asking what carried you to dublin in the first place

Well from midnight you fall outside the criteria of person who should be using public transport. Essential workers and those providing essential services.

Masala wrote: »

It appears that is what it is saying.
    A parent and children but not two adults.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

The way it was out out here in New Zealand was that wherever you were at at midnight was where we have to stay for the following two weeks.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Masala wrote: »

Can you not walk on your own for the sake of 2 weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭Masala

Can you not walk on your own for the sake of 2 weeks?

Dint know...will have to think about it. I guess I could walk with the neighbors wife if that safer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

wrangler wrote: »
    Never saw simon having to read a speech before ,

My view is that Simon and Leo have only been continuity announcers since the start of this...

I dont believe they've made any decisions..

Pascal makes decisions..

This has got away from the HSE...inadequate, incompetent..

Look at the issues...% of health workers infected ( worlds highest)..PPE, ICU almost full and still low level of cases, healthcare workers returning from travel put straight to work in hospitals, levels of deaths from institutional settings.. .now not testing the majority of the nation's positives....its got away on the HSE..Honohans presentations often conflicted with previous ones

Action at the time should have been monitored quarantine for any returning person from anywhere and no further outward movement...

If AG were in charge of this from the start, it would have happened..

This lockdown is because we cant test the not at risk groups...its now deemed everyone has it...quarantine everyone...its my suspicion that powers that be from AG house are now calling the shots, at least carrying the responsibility of chasing this virus..mopping up is still in others hands..

HSE have been like someone chasing a pea around a plate with a spoon..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Humans entering the country "could be vectors" & a 14-day quarrantine period may need to be considered - Sam McConkey, Associate Professor and Head of Department of International Health & Tropical Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland.

Its occurring to some now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

alps wrote: »
    Humans entering the country "could be vectors" & a 14-day quarrantine period may need to be considered - Sam McConkey, Associate Professor and Head of Department of International Health & Tropical Medicine, Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland.

Its occurring to some now...

As farmers we would have a greater gasp of the consequences of a virial outbreak in a group of animals/and the devastating impact if its let spread unchecked and untreated, its beyond comprehension that phd educated in most cases doctors advising government policies didn’t ban all travel from Italy 6 weeks ago....
    The fire-fighting going on now is simply trying to put out a fire by pissing on it

My view is that Simon and Leo have only been continuity announcers since the start of this...

Pascal makes decisions..

Look at the issues...% of health workers infected ( worlds highest)..PPE, ICU almost full and still low level of cases, healthcare workers returning from travel put straight to work in hospitals, levels of deaths from institutional settings.. .now not testing the majority of the nation's positives....its got away on the HSE..Honohans presentations often conflicted with previous ones

Action at the time should have been monitored quarantine for any returning person from anywhere and no further outward movement...

This lockdown is because we cant test the not at risk groups...its now deemed everyone has it...quarantine everyone...its my suspicion that powers that be from AG house are now calling the shots, at least carrying the responsibility of chasing this virus..mopping up is still in others hands..

Leo has said from the beginning he is following and implementing the advice of the CMO. That’s actually admirable, a positive compared to Trump who ignores the advice of professionals and makes crackpot personal desisioms.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭visatorro

not very important but older generation is getting plagued on the landline by callers looking for donations to various "charities". There are still some very bad people out there and with older people in isolation they shouldnt be afraid to answer to phone but be very wary of numbers they dont recognoise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Pascal makes decisions..

A few things to consider,
    The testing is not anywhere near perfect, how many false positives or negatives there are, we don't know.
    What testing is carried out is focused on those with severe symptoms.
    Normal (pre covid 19) coronavirus can cause mortality of up to 5-7% in elderly/at risk groups
    Normal coronavirus makes anywhere between 7-15% of the average virus load across pneumonia/flu symptoms
    There is no proof of what point we are at in this epidemic, we could be much further along than thought, the only proof that any course of action is valid will come from antibody testing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Pascal makes decisions..

Not defending the public service but
    The sad fact is that, despite the horrendous stories worldwide, the Irish didn't take precautions despite their being cases in the country.
    Those that were in crowds three weeks ago knew they were threatening the lives of the frontline services

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

Just listening to George Lee on morning ireland you would feel like you should be going for the rope. God bless the man his so drool.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

popa smurf wrote: »
    Just listening to George Lee on morning ireland you would feel like you should be going for the rope. God bless the man his so drool.
    Thankfully he's not the agriculture correspondent anymore. He'd make even a good news story depress you

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

How will cyclists cope now? 2km loops?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

A few things to consider,
    The testing is not anywhere near perfect, how many false positives or negatives there are, we don't know.
    What testing is carried out is focused on those with severe symptoms.
    Normal (pre covid 19) coronavirus can cause mortality of up to 5-7% in elderly/at risk groups
    Normal coronavirus makes anywhere between 7-15% of the average virus load across pneumonia/flu symptoms
    There is no proof of what point we are at in this epidemic, we could be much further along than thought, the only proof that any course of action is valid will come from antibody testing

Yep. Antibody testing is key in getting out of this lockdown. It’ll give the final answer on the virus.
    People will be certified as carrying the antibodies and will carry some kind of ID that can be electronically read.
    RFID to be used on humans...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

whelan2 wrote: »
    How will cyclists cope now? 2km loops?

Cycling will be banned in a week and the 2km ‘exercising’ distance will be brought down to 1km or 500m.

Horse riding will be banned also.

Don’t ask me how I know...

Advertisement