Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

Cycling will be banned in a week and the 2km ‘exercising’ distance will be brought down to 1km or 500m.

Horse riding will be banned also.

Don’t ask me how I know...

How bad is it out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    How will cyclists cope now? 2km loops?

Have two loops here from the house. Joined together they are 10km. Brutal hilly though. Did it during the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 corkgal_89

The way it was out out here in New Zealand was that wherever you were at at midnight was where we have to stay for the following two weeks.

Thankfully I was able to get on the 7am train (no questions asked) and am home now.. will be locking myself indoors for the next 2 weeks anyway just to be safe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yep. Antibody testing is key in getting out of this lockdown. It’ll give the final answer on the virus.
    People will be certified as carrying the antibodies and will carry some kind of ID that can be electronically read.
    RFID to be used on humans...?

Be very handy for calf feeders and FTY in parlours, never go hungry again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Yep. Antibody testing is key in getting out of this lockdown. It’ll give the final answer on the virus.
    People will be certified as carrying the antibodies and will carry some kind of ID that can be electronically read.
    RFID to be used on humans...?

Nothing would surprise me at this stage. But I think that it will be found that the virus was much more widespread than the official figures suggest.

This is worth a watch.
    https://youtu.be/p_AyuhbnPOI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

How will cyclists cope now? 2km loops?

Looked out of the house this morning to a group tipping down the road

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Looked out of the house this morning to a group tipping down the road

Ah cyclists are exempt from all laws

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭visatorro

are couriers still operating? I wouldn't imagine so even if you could guarantee no contact

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

visatorro wrote: »
    are couriers still operating? I wouldn't imagine so even if you could guarantee no contact

Couriers and post still operating. They are an essential service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

corkgal_89 wrote: »
    Thankfully I was able to get on the 7am train (no questions asked) and am home now.. will be locking myself indoors for the next 2 weeks anyway just to be safe!
    O
    Main problem with most of us stranded here at the minute is is that domestic travel is banned during the lockdown so similar to Ireland theres one main hub in the country and if youre outside of it well good luck to you.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ordered my prescription yesterday and my parent's ones. Went to pharmacy this morning. Only 1 person allowed in at a time. Queue of about 4 people outside. No hassle. This us the new norm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1126956/

List of essential business, farm supply limited to call out/delivery whatever that means?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

https://www.rte.ie/amp/1126956/

List of essential business, farm supply limited to call out/delivery whatever that means?

It also said animal feed stores essential outlets to stay open

It also said animal feed stores essential outlets to stay open

Bit of read between the lines there

Men are more likely to catch this, more likely to end up in hospital, more likely to need treatment in ICU and more likely to die.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/26/men-are-getting-sicker-dying-more-often-covid-19-spain-data-shows/

Men are more likely to catch this, more likely to end up in hospital, more likely to need treatment in ICU and more likely to die.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/03/26/men-are-getting-sicker-dying-more-often-covid-19-spain-data-shows/

Still waiting for the silver lining there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭the hedgeman

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bit of read between the lines there

It's open to interpretation what ever way you look at it

Was talking to my neighbour today. She's carer for her parents. The mother goes to centra every Saturday morning religiously. She's not allowed to go today. Neighbour said it's like a child having a tantrum. I said I'd go for her or they are now doing a delivery service. It's very hard for some elderly people to realise they have to stay home for their own good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Cycling will be banned in a week and the 2km ‘exercising’ distance will be brought down to 1km or 500m.

Horse riding will be banned also.

Don’t ask me how I know...

Seen a lad yesterday running in a field of winter corn, he was following the tram lines, better than running in circles around the headland I suppose

Seen a lad yesterday running in a field of winter corn, he was following the tram lines, better than running in circles around the headland I suppose

Great way to damage an ankle. I know

• Advertisement

14 new deaths. Average age of these deaths 81 years of age

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

14 new deaths. Average age of these deaths 81 years of age
    See that and average age of today’s confirmed infected 46
    God help all those families

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Anyone know why they’re calling it the median age instead of average?

BENDYBINN wrote: »

Because they are giving the median age and not an average which is different.

Are you asking why they call it the median or why are the giving the median instead of average?

Median would be the most common grouping of a sample. They're more or less telling us the deaths were from a nursing home predominately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,851 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Median and average can be very different.

Median and average can be very different.

Yes,
    If there were 5 deaths a new born and the rest aged 70, 76, 79 and 80 then the median would be 76 but the average closer to 60 the one very young anomaly would massively influence the average but have little effect on the median

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m not sure interesting is the word to use in this case, maybe relevant.

People in their 80’s often wouldn’t even be ventilated with “ordinary” flu in Ireland.

Daughter got a letter from the local shop were she works in case she's stopped on the way to work. It's 500m up the road, chances of being stopped would be fairly slim

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I’m not sure interesting is the word to use in this case, maybe relevant.

People in their 80’s often wouldn’t even be ventilated with “ordinary” flu in Ireland.

Would they for pneumonia though??

Advertisement