Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

emaherx wrote: »
    So hospital ICUs are normally this overrun?
    Nothing outside normal ranges?

Think I'll just leave it there.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Extraordinary-Popular-Delusions-Wordsworth-Reference/dp/1853263494

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

Must be some conspiracy with every health professional in the world in on it.

Must be some conspiracy with every health professional in the world in on it.

"Of all the offspring of Time. Error is the most ancient, and is so old and familiar an acquaintance, that Truth, when discovered, comes upon most of us like an intruder, and meets the intruder's welcome."

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Testing is biased, focused only on the worst cases. That means all the statistics of deaths etc are much higher than actual. Antibody testing is the only way we will know what the virus really does in a population.
    Remember the hype about swine flu, it turned out to be no worse than the standard annual flu.
    Italy regularly has over 20,000 people dying annually from flu.
    Normal coronavirus strains that have been around for a very long time can have high fatality rates in elderly/at risk people.
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2095096/

Edit. Until antibody testing is carried out, there is no way for anyone to say with proof where we are in the spread of the virus. There is the assumption that the tested cases represent the start and growth of an epidemic. That is just an assumption. There's nothing at present to say that the assumption is justified

Totally incorrect. The evidence of being able to get ahead of it be rigorous testing is South Korea.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It does matter. All this could be over in a few weeks and run its course with similar mortality to the flu with or without restrictions for all we know until there's definitive results.
    Why don't we have an annual lockdown for the flu as well while we're at it otherwise...

So this is rubbish.

It’s an indisputable fact, proven by health experts in countries across the works that this has a much much higher death rate that flu.

I’m not sure what conspiracy sources your using for your opinion or if you even attempted to educate yourself on Covid19 but it’s a big deal and it has a much bigger death rate than “the flu” multiple time’s.

Covid19 has a hospitalisation rate more than ten tones the regular flu and a death rate of about 4% compared to 0.1-0.2% for the flu.

This is agreed science and not mumbo jumbo that trump and his likes spout.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    So this is rubbish.

It’s an indisputable fact, proven by health experts in countries across the works that this has a much much higher death rate that flu.

I’m not sure what conspiracy sources your using for your opinion or if you even attempted to educate yourself on Covid19 but it’s a big deal and it has a much bigger death rate than “the flu” multiple time’s.

Covid19 has a hospitalisation rate more than ten tones the regular flu and a death rate of about 4% compared to 0.1-0.2% for the flu.

This is agreed science and not mumbo jumbo that trump and his likes spout.

At this stage there is nothing to say that is true. We have no way of knowing the total infected numbers until antibody surveys are carried out.
    Are the real infection numbers double, triple or even greater than the official numbers?
    No one can say, but we know that they are higher than the official numbers which are biased towards the more severe cases.
    Those are the facts. Nothing to do with conspiracy theories.
    Go back to my original post, I said trump COULD be right and the who COULD be wrong.

Ah, we ignore the experts WHO and give equivalence to the brainfart opinion of Trump and his gut feeling.

At this stage there is nothing to say that is true. We have no way of knowing the total infected numbers until antibody surveys are carried out.
    Are the real infection numbers double, triple or even greater than the official numbers?
    No one can say, but we know that they are higher than the official numbers which are biased towards the more severe cases.
    Go back to my original post, I said trump COULD be right and the who COULD be wrong.

Surely the test results here coming back at 95% negative rate suggests present infection rates arent completly out of kilter with diagonised cases

28 flu related deaths in Ireland between November and January. This week shows how much worse covid19 is.

Average daily deaths worldwide for flu is about 900 . Italy’s daily death rate for Covid19 is a similar number.

Water John wrote: »
    Ah, we ignore the experts WHO and give equivalence to the brainfart opinion of Trump and his gut feeling.

Everything is based on assumptions at this point. Maybe one day there will be proof to justify all of this but it is most definitely not there now.

• Advertisement

Everything is based on assumptions at this point. Maybe one day there will be proof to justify all of this but it is most definitely not there now.

There is no assumptions on number of deaths. If you are looking for a lower death rate statistic that doesn't mean it’s safer than flu that will only mean it’s more easily spread than flu which means we are absolutely doing the right thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Gillespy

WHO are a disgrace. Thing yesterday where one of them cut off an interview when Taiwan was mentioned. They bought the lies China were selling when this thing was in its infancy. They're in China's pocket and the world is paying for it now.

And now masks do work? Should have known. Asians don't wear them for fashion.

Trump says a lot of things. He wasn't the only one to say it was just a flu. I've seen him since talk of how deadly dangerous this is. He wanted to put NY city in quarantine yesterday which given the numbers and grave predictions I see for it, seemed a good call but the governor thinks it's not right. He is everyone's hero all of a sudden based on the (D) after his name so will get a pass for all bad decisions.

There is no assumptions on number of deaths. If you are looking for a lower death rate statistic that doesn't mean it’s safer than flu that will only mean it’s more easily spread than flu which means we are absolutely doing the right thing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2020/03/oxford-study-coronavirus-may-have-infected-half-of-u-k.html

Read this and give it consideration. Multiple scenarios can be made to fit. Only one will be right and that will only be known once we see antibody surveys carried out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

https://www.google.com/amp/s/nymag.com/intelligencer/amp/2020/03/oxford-study-coronavirus-may-have-infected-half-of-u-k.html

Read this and give it consideration. Multiple scenarios can be made to fit. Only one will be right and that will only be known once we see antibody surveys carried out.

If the theory has any validity, the possibility of 50% of the population having been infected will be proven by the number of new cases without the need for antibody testing. At 50%, the virus will be finding it very difficult to find a new host and hospital admissions would plummet.

We can piggyback immediately on that finding should it be the case, but I'd hate to be the subject of that experiment..

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

alps wrote: »
    If the theory has any validity, the possibility of 50% of the population having been infected will be proven by the number of new cases without the need for antibody testing. At 50%, the virus will be finding it very difficult to find a new host and hospital admissions would plummet.

We can piggyback immediately on that finding should it be the case, but I'd hate to be the subject of that experiment..

I seen an article last night where patients in wuhan that contracted corona and were cleared are now positive again after a few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »
    I seen an article last night where patients in wuhan that contracted corona and were cleared are now positive again after a few weeks

When we get antibodies from fighting off something they are rarely a permanent feature of our body. They may last weeks, months or years but there hasn’t been enough research done yet to know with Covid19 what the case is.

I’ve seen articles from experts that maybe we willl have to rely on a vaccine to protect us that natural immunity may not happen or last long enough to be useful.

They were hoping that because the Corona virus doesn't mutate much that the antibodies might last 3 years but they could have been wrong or wrong for a few.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Water John wrote: »
    They were hoping that because the Corona virus doesn't mutate much that the antibodies might last 3 years but they could have been wrong or wrong for a few.

And if you fought it off once without any difficulty, you are unlikely to take an unusual reaction if catching it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

alps wrote: »
    And if you fought it off once without any difficulty, you are unlikely to take an unusual reaction if catching it again.

The danger there would be infecting the vulnerable groups that escaped the original spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

10 more deaths and 200 new cases. 10 deaths 8 Male 2 female

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    10 more deaths and 200 new cases. 10 deaths 8 Male 2 female

Seems to be a constant 200 a day. Has it plateaued I wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Reggie. wrote: »
    Seems to be a constant 200 a day. Has it plateaued I wonder

They say prob 2 weeks away from peak yet. Hopefully the school closures are now having an effect to slow it

Mooooo wrote: »
    They say prob 2 weeks away from peak yet. Hopefully the school closures are now having an effect to slow it

Seems to have stopped climbing anyways

Got some good news this evening, herself got a text from work to tell her not to go in for the next 3 days and to work from home in the meantime. More info coming Tuesday on what's going to happen after that.

We might have a chance of avoiding this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The danger there would be infecting the vulnerable groups that escaped the original spread.

Lock up the vulnerable groups for ever and ever. Amen..

Here's some research that was done on macaque monkeys by infecting them with covid 19 and seeing if they could be reinfected.
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24532754-600-can-you-catch-the-coronavirus-twice-we-dont-know-yet/

Lock up the vulnerable groups for ever and ever. Amen..

Here's some research that was done on macaque monkeys by infecting them with covid 19 and seeing if they could be reinfected.
    https://www.newscientist.com/article/mg24532754-600-can-you-catch-the-coronavirus-twice-we-dont-know-yet/

Read up on respiratory tract ecology/microbiome. This virus is out there and won't have disappeared even when people appear to have recovered. It will still be present. It's the same reason why mixing healthy pigs from different closed units causes problems, the virus will survive at very low levels until it gets its chance again, just like all the other cold/flu viruses.

This is a section of a reply on the Covid-19 forum from a consultant about the progress of the disease in the near future.
    Well, someone tubed in an ICU bed with COVID-19 is going to be there for quite some time - likely more than two weeks - and over the next two weeks as we experience the peak people tubed today are going to either die or still be taking up a ventilator. With an exponentially growing infection like this which is doubling ever 3 or 4 days the growth is such that 2 weeks from now we could be seeing 16 times the number of new people needing a ventilator per day than currently newly need one.

So for two weeks, until we peak, the only people coming off will be the ones dying, not recovering and by the time the people from today recover we'll need so many more new ventilators per day that the number recovering will be a small % of the new ventilators needed that day ( 5 to 10%).

So, statistically right now the number of people recovering over the next 2 weeks is a small proportion of the number who will need ventilation over the next 2 weeks. I think people still don't quite "get" how bad this is going to be. We are likely to see between 30 to 60 deaths per day for an extended period of time ( 4 weeks or so ) when this hits its peak. Somewhere between 1,000 to 2,000 people are going to die from this in April and May if we do everything right. If we make mistakes during this period then even more will die.

Add in the fact that 80% of all deaths from this are likely to occur in Q4 unless we get an experimental vaccine/absolutely massive increases in ventilator capacity weekly between now and October and you can see that my pessimistic best case scenario of 10,000 dead in the 12 months from 1st March 2020 to end February 2021 is pretty much what we're looking at now.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=112992287&postcount=36

Pretty sobering reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Got some good news this evening, herself got a text from work to tell her not to go in for the next 3 days and to work from home in the meantime. More info coming Tuesday on what's going to happen after that.

We might have a chance of avoiding this now.

I'm betting that everyone'll have to get it in some form and we all develop 'herd immunity ' because the word out there is that it'll be twelve months before vaccines come on stream, so it has to rattle through us all now to get it over and let the country get back to work. The aim for the vulnerable now should be avoid it until the rush is over and the health service is less chaotic
    Ireland cannot subsidise us in its present form now for more than 12 weeks,

Yeah I'll tell that Wrangler to my family member just after going in to the front line at 8 pm for the night shift.

• Advertisement

Some of you might have employees that will need to travel to work and will need a letter covering their journey.
    https://twitter.com/IFAmedia/status/1244314123904651264?s=19

Advertisement