Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Some of you might have employees that will need to travel to work and will need a letter covering their journey.
    https://twitter.com/IFAmedia/status/1244314123904651264?s=19

They also need to carry id

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

Some of you might have employees that will need to travel to work and will need a letter covering their journey.
    https://twitter.com/IFAmedia/status/1244314123904651264?s=19

I've been emailed several similar letters over the weekend from my employer as well as from some of our customers. Guess I'm expected to still work... Apparently I'm essential staff... Yey me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

emaherx wrote: »
    I've been emailed several similar letters over the weekend from my employer as well as from some of our customers. Guess I'm expected to still work... Apparently I'm essential staff... Yey me...

It's funny how we're all essential now and not 6 months ago we were blamed as the cause of everything wrong with the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It's funny how we're all essential now and not 6 months ago we were blamed as the cause of everything wrong with the world.

Yep. I wonder what letter covers contractor work

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yep. I wonder what letter covers contractor work

Sitting in a tractor would probably cover it for a start :D

The letters I've received from my employer and from customers dosen't have my name on them simply say the "holder of this letter" and end with contact this number for further clarification on "essential employee" details if nessacery.

Don't think you will be questioned much beyond "where are you going"

• Advertisement

Sitting in a tractor would probably cover it for a start :D

The letters I've received from my employer and from customers dosen't have my name on them simply say the "holder of this letter" and end with contact this number for further clarification on "essential employee" details if nessacery.

Don't think you will be questioned much beyond "where are you going"

Was thinking that :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    Was thinking that :D

Or just wear your uniform ;)

Or just wear your uniform ;)

I'll be safe on both accounts. I'll have the ID anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Our contractor came upon a checkpoint today in his jeep and work clothes, where they were giving a lady in front a fair bit of a questioning...they just looked at him and waved him through..

Look somewhat farmery and there'll be no questions about letters...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,060 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Yeah I was on the way to the vets to get some drugs for a cow that got a section last night. He took one look at the state of me and the car after I said I was on the way to the vets and waved me on.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got some good news this evening, herself got a text from work to tell her not to go in for the next 3 days and to work from home in the meantime. More info coming Tuesday on what's going to happen after that.

We might have a chance of avoiding this now.

I'm the same. Working from home when IT get to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Very hopeful numbers indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ir was the eldest lads birthday yesterday. So as a treat I ordered a take away from a restaurant in Drogheda about 8 miles away. We collected it. I met no squad car. Nearly no cars on the road and very few people walking etc. Hopefully people are adhering to the new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Suckler

wrangler wrote: »
    I'm betting that everyone'll have to get it in some form and we all develop 'herd immunity '

"Herd Immunity" Doesn't work like that, doesn't just happen like that and isn't an overnight solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Suckler wrote: »
    "Herd Immunity" Doesn't work like that, doesn't just happen like that and isn't an overnight solution.

If it was a solution though, and we applied it to farming....look at the savings we'd have in vaccinations..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

alps wrote: »
    If it was a solution though, and we applied it to farming....look at the savings we'd have in vaccinations..

Herd immunity is grand but to develop it bears a cost. As well it remains an underlying problem. If you look at BVD even if we developed herd immunity across the herd you had two issues the first was calves would not be born immune. The second issue was carriers. Carriers would still have it running through your herd every year. Yes the symptoms would be milder but you would still have reduced output and new carriers born every year.

However if we look at China even though they have rolled back the disease they are now importing new cases. If we manage to roll it back will we have the world split in two parts. Those countries that have developed herd immunity by the inactions of there leaders the US, UK, Sweden, Holland maybe even Italy or Spain. Then you will have countries maybe like Germany, France, China and Ireland that rolled it back. Now you have the issue of countries that have protection from immunity where it is still endemic but at low rates that are manageable and countries that still have large numbers never infected

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Herd immunity is grand but to develop it bears a cost. As well it remains an underlying problem. If you look at BVD even if we developed herd immunity across the herd you had two issues the first was calves would not be born immune. The second issue was carriers. Carriers would still have it running through your herd every year. Yes the symptoms would be milder but you would still have reduced output and new carriers born every year.

However if we look at China even though they have rolled back the disease they are now importing new cases. If we manage to roll it back will we have the world split in two parts. Those countries that have developed herd immunity by the inactions of there leaders the US, UK, Sweden, Holland maybe even Italy or Spain. Then you will have countries maybe like Germany, France, China and Ireland that rolled it back. Now you have the issue of countries that have protection from immunity where it is still endemic but at low rates that are manageable and countries that still have large numbers never infected

On importing cases.

Are we freely accepting cases from places like NewYork where infection rates are crazy. Do we even have checks in the airport for temperatures??

I’ve felt from the beginning that the government didn’t have a strong enough position on travellers including the Italy match issue and Cheltenham. Interesting that at least one of the deceased is a person who was at and infected at Cheltenham.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Suckler wrote: »

A doctor in James's who's recovering at the moment hopes to be back in the frontline shortly, so immunity is accepted to be possible.
    Kingston mills doesn't expect a vaccine for twelve to eighteen months, the country can't afford to wait that long

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭Suckler

A doctor in James's who's recovering at the moment hopes to be back in the frontline shortly, so immunity is accepted to be possible.
    Kingston mills doesn't expect a vaccine for twelve to eighteen months, the country can't afford to wait that long

Recovery and immunity are not the same thing. The key word is 'hopes'.
    That still isn't an indicator of herd immunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I know a hospital where there are more medical staff that have tested positive for the virus then there are patients - by a factor of 2 to 1. And this isn't a small hospital either - albeit not the biggest hospital in the country either

AND the medical staff didn't get it from the patients - it was transmitted amongst themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

alps wrote: »

It'd be the bovine equivalence of chicken pox parties. :pac:

There's books out about large herd grazing and improved health. These would be in the hundreds and thousands though and with natural predators. I think it's Allan Savoury has that out.

Boris Johnson's father has great interest in wildlife programs and conservation in Africa and probably where the term came from into UK parlance.

It's been said and posted here and elsewhere before but we really need an antibody test for people to get people back working and to put people's minds at ease.
    It's been in the country since the end of January when people returned from the alps for their holidays. The only people that were required to get tested till the end of February were people who had symptoms that were in those effected areas. If you had no symtoms you were free to go.
    Even in the first week of March I know of a public servant that was in Milan and was going around symptom free and attending large gatherings and not tested.

The next step if there is such a thing is antibody tests.

Panch18 wrote: »
    I know a hospital where there are more medical staff that have tested positive for the virus then there are patients - by a factor of 2 to 1. And this isn't a small hospital either - albeit not the biggest hospital in the country either

AND the medical staff didn't get it from the patients - it was transmitted amongst themselves

NHS staff in the U.K. began to get tested for antibodies this weekend in a theme park of all places to see if they are free to work in hospitals and care homes.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-nhs-staff-first-to-receive-antigen-testing-for-covid-19-11964673

Edit: it seems it's an anti - gen test so it tests to see if you have the virus rather than an antibody test to see if you're immune to it.

United Biomedical in Colorado, USA have an antibody test proven by testing in China.

https://abcnews.go.com/Health/antibody-testing-colorado-town-provide-forward/story?id=69856623

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-03-28/dutch-hospital-workers-show-insidious-nature-of-coronavirus

Even if a history of travel to China or northern Italy were excluded from the criteria, 40% of infected health workers identified in the screening still wouldn’t have otherwise been detected, they said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ir was the eldest lads birthday yesterday. So as a treat I ordered a take away from a restaurant in Drogheda about 8 miles away. We collected it. I met no squad car. Nearly no cars on the road and very few people walking etc. Hopefully people are adhering to the new rules.

I am not sure driving 8 miles for a take away is adhering to the rules Whelan? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭acequion

_Brian wrote: »
    On importing cases.

Are we freely accepting cases from places like NewYork where infection rates are crazy. Do we even have checks in the airport for temperatures??

I’ve felt from the beginning that the government didn’t have a strong enough position on travellers including the Italy match issue and Cheltenham. Interesting that at least one of the deceased is a person who was at and infected at Cheltenham.

How do you know that? Has it been reported somewhere or just anecdotal?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    Daughter got a letter from the local shop were she works in case she's stopped on the way to work. It's 500m up the road, chances of being stopped would be fairly slim

Farmers were advised to carry the sfp application maps for showing to the guards.

Daughter does work for different firms. She has letters from each of them if she has to attend to an urgent call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

orm0nd wrote: »
    Farmers were advised to carry the sfp application maps for showing to the guards.

Daughter does work for different firms. She has letters from each of them if she has to attend to an urgent call.

The guards have announced that anyone driving an Octavia or Passat diesel car won’t be stopped and questioned.

Advertisement