Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

tanko wrote: »
    The guards have announced that anyone driving an Octavia or Passat diesel car won’t be stopped and questioned.

Probably afraid it wouldn’t start again

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

_Brian wrote: »
    Probably afraid it wouldn’t start again

You could add my Ford ranger to that list currently, the starter is gone and I'm working off the hill start atm. My mechanic can't source one currently and although there's bigger problems in the country it's a nuisance as once it's started I tend to leave it ticking over.

The only positive is that apart from foddering and shopping there's no place else to go at the moment. I've the bundle of blue cards on the passenger seat for any inquisitive guard but if he wants me too turn off the jeep he better be prepared to push it afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Covid 19, it's James! Mercedes F1 team aim to produce 1000 CPAP machines a day. They sound a lot more appealing to ventilators both to the patient and how many staff needed to run them. Shows the importance of buying time, allows treatments to be perfected and companies like this switch to make medical stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Germany will do antibody tests on thousands and issue certificates, so people can get back to work earlier than the majority still in lockdown.

Hopefully Ireland gets the finger out and follows suit.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-germany-covid-19-immunity-certificates-testing-social-distancing-lockdown-2020-3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Germany will do antibody tests on thousands and issue certificates, so people can get back to work earlier than the majority still in lockdown.

Hopefully Ireland gets the finger out and follows suit.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-germany-covid-19-immunity-certificates-testing-social-distancing-lockdown-2020-3

Oh boy.....that means its commercially advantageous to get the virus...

That going to keep people in lockdown...isn't it..

alps wrote: »

We have to get the country moving again.

At the current rate of progress we'll be here till Christmas.
    This has been in circulation since the end of January in this country. We'd all love to be tested to know if we're over it.
    It's a highly contagious virus yet going on official reports some counties have only a few cases. Why? Because testing wasn't being given to GP's.
    We're in the denial stage of spread atm. Rip that off and get straight to the antibody test and get those people out again.
    The negative testers stay put and get the virus in the summer or whenever the antibody population is high enough that they won't mix with spreaders.

It's going to happen anyways alps. Best start now.
    If they say the tests will be available on Amazon, people will be home buying anyway. It should be more official that though with medics involved.

Bring it on da ....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Staying on the F1 theme, Helmut Marko of Red Bull Racing told his drivers to get infected during this period with no races.

"Let's put it this way: it has not been well received," Marko said. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

We have to get the country moving again.

At the current rate of progress we'll be here till Christmas.
    This has been in circulation since the end of January in this country. We'd all love to be tested to know if we're over it.
    It's a highly contagious virus yet going on official reports some counties have only a few cases. Why? Because testing wasn't being given to GP's.
    We're in the denial stage of spread atm. Rip that off and get straight to the antibody test and get those people out again.
    The negative testers stay put and get the virus in the summer or whenever the antibody population is high enough that they won't mix with spreaders.

It's going to happen anyways alps. Best start now.
    If they say the tests will be available on Amazon, people will be home buying anyway. It should be more official that though with medics involved.

Bring it on da ....

Telling ya now....

I don't want the fukin thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://www.thejournal.ie/covid-19-coronavirus-death-rate-5062190-Mar2020/

Estimated fatality rate being revised downwards. By the time an antibody survey is carried out to show the true extent of the spread, we could very well have shut down the world for a bad flu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Estimated fatality rate being revised downwards. By the time an antibody survey is carried out to show the true extent of the spread, we could very well have shut down the world for a bad flu

Bad ‘flu?
    This bad ‘flu is killing people in their thousands...

THE ECONOMY IS NOT IMPORTANT, PEOPLE ARE.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Have you even read the article?

It's says "this virus will overwhelm even the most advanced health system". We have shut down to give our health system time to deal with the amount of people who will need care. Italy is one of the countries in the world with the most ICU capacity and look at them.

1.38% is still huge, Swine flu was a bad flu with a death rate of 0.02% . The death rate for Covid19 and every other condition requiring hospitalization will increase if/when hospitals become completely overwhelmed.

Telling ya now....

I don't want the fukin thing...

No test kit for you so..;)

It's only a test (and still hypothetical till they get in people's hands).

Chances are though that since the nursing homes closed to visitors in February and it was only workers that brought it in themselves inside their own bodies (with these latest cases) and since these workers must have not have been showing any symptoms or else they wouldn't have brought it in, is what we could be witnessing is the last pockets of virus spreading in this country.

We won't know any of this without antibody testing only living in lockdown and perpetual fear.

what we could be witnessing is the last pockets of virus spreading in this country.

Seems highly unlikely that people started dying in high numbers in the last few pockets

emaherx wrote: »
    Have you even read the article?

It's says "this virus will overwhelm even the most advanced health system". We have shut down to give our health system time to deal with the amount of people who will need care. Italy is one of the countries in the world with the most ICU capacity and look at them.

1.38% is still huge, Swine flu was a bad flu with a death rate of 0.02% . The death rate for Covid19 and every other condition requiring hospitalization will increase if/when hospitals become completely overwhelmed.

Remember there’s a difference in reading something and understanding it. I’d say the problem is the latter rather than the former.

There are still a cohort of idiots not taking this seriously and not taking the lockdown rules seriously, my sister is the same. Saying stupid stuff like everyone is entitled to know their status and so entitled to be tested for the virus. She can’t understand why front lines workers are priority for testing. I was saying it’s to get them back to work quickly, she thinks it’s just a perk to kid them at ease.

Seems highly unlikely that people started dying in high numbers in the last few pockets

They'd be the most highly cocooned people in the state. The ones who are not exposed to all the viruses and bacteria that you or me are exposed to.
    Nothing unlikely at all.

It's the same way why children are very immune to it. They've always got a sniffle and anyone exposed to children good for them too.

They'd be the most highly cocooned people in the state. The ones who are not exposed to all the viruses and bacteria that you or me are exposed to.
    Nothing unlikely at all.

It's the same way why children are very immune to it. They've always got a sniffle and anyone exposed to children good for them too.

So what's happened in Italy and Spain?

So what's happened in Italy and Spain?

I don't know. I simply don't know.

But it looks like it's not having the same effect here. Maybe their all drinking distilled water or diet or environmental factors or a different variant.
    It looks like we're on a par with Germany who had increased testing and who are bringing in this antibody testing.

But we just won't know for sure without antibody testing.
    Testing if you have it or not gives a limited story as you could have had it and test negative and think you've never had it.

I don't know. I simply don't know.

But it looks like it's not having the same effect here. Maybe their all drinking distilled water or diet or environmental factors or a different variant.
    It looks like we're on a par with Germany who had increased testing and who are bringing in this antibody testing.

But we just won't know for sure without antibody testing.
    Testing if you have it or not gives a limited story as you could have had it and test negative and think you've never had it.

Maybe it's we have isolated ourselves as per the advice.

I can't disagree about the usefulness of antibody testing but I'm not sure it's as simple as some think it is. Test kits for testing for the virus have been in short supply I don't think antibody test kits are going to be much better considering we need about 6 million of them.

Bad ‘flu?
    This bad ‘flu is killing people in their thousands...

THE ECONOMY IS NOT IMPORTANT, PEOPLE ARE.

People are important but rational thought has to enter this debate. Why has it been ok for the use to decide against paying for life saving/changing drugs on the basis of cost? Everyone knows it happens.
    Why has it been ok to underfund so many services? Mental health, support for disabilities, housing etc?

The estimated cost to the taxpayer of this is €10 billion so far. How many lives will it save?
    5 million by 60% infection (enough for herd immunity to kick in) gives us 3 million total infected (not confirmed tested as infected).
    Take the Chinese estimate of 0.66% death rate which is based on allowing an estimate for untested cases, it is likely that will drop further.
    3 million by 0.66% gives us 19,800 deaths. The average age of these will be in the 70's.
    So divide €10 billion by 19,800 and it gives us a cost of €505,050 to save each of these lives. This will allow these people to live on average another 5 to 10 years.
    Lovely, we've saved lives. Aren't we great. Meanwhile how many lives are lost over the coming years through underfunding of the health service? How many people will be denied access to life saving/changing treatment? How many homeless families could have been provided for? So many people could be helped but because we couldn't think rationally and instead did what was trendy there won't be the money to help them.

• Advertisement

People are important but rational thought has to enter this debate. Why has it been ok for the use to decide against paying for life saving/changing drugs on the basis of cost? Everyone knows it happens.
    Why has it been ok to underfund so many services? Mental health, support for disabilities, housing etc?

The estimated cost to the taxpayer of this is €10 billion so far. How many lives will it save?
    5 million by 60% infection (enough for herd immunity to kick in) gives us 3 million total infected (not confirmed tested as infected).
    Take the Chinese estimate of 0.66% death rate which is based on allowing an estimate for untested cases, it is likely that will drop further.
    3 million by 0.66% gives us 19,800 deaths. The average age of these will be in the 70's.
    So divide €10 billion by 19,800 and it gives us a cost of €505,050 to save each of these lives. This will allow these people to live on average another 5 to 10 years.
    Lovely, we've saved lives. Aren't we great. Meanwhile how many lives are lost over the coming years through underfunding of the health service? How many people will be denied access to life saving/changing treatment? How many homeless families could have been provided for? So many people could be helped but because we couldn't think rationally and instead did what was trendy there won't be the money to help them.

The average will be in their 70s, many will be much younger also many who survive will also have permanent damage to their lungs.

And the 0.66 is an estimate which may be well off the mark, not sure we can trust figures from China, and if our health system is stretched like Italy's then the death rate will be much higher, which is the main reason for social distancing.

Maybe it's we have isolated ourselves as per the advice.

I can't disagree about the usefulness of antibody testing but I'm not sure it's as simple as some think it is. Test kits for testing for the virus have been in short supply I don't think antibody test kits are going to be much better considering we need about 6 million of them.

Maybe we could plead our case to the manufacturer's and scientists that we be run as a test case. Since we've only the population of a British city. :p

I've no doubt the HSE will be praising themselves on keeping the virus out but from seeing people back in early March I've no doubt this was way more rampant than the authorities will want you to believe.
    But if we get out of this lightly that's the main thing. But I'd still for my own curiosity love to know the true story of this here and then could other countries who were badly effected learn other things from the countries who weren't badly effected. It's still all about the physical virus and stopping it spreading but if we could learn how it effects people more than others we could have that for the next variant of this down the line.
    There'll be vaccines for this no doubt in the future but a holistic way should be looked at too.

That's down the line and we still don't know where we are as a country atm.

The average will be in their 70s, many will be much younger also many who survive will also have permanent damage to their lungs.

And the 0.66 is an estimate which may be well off the mark, not sure we can trust figures from China, and if our health system is stretched like Italy's then the death rate will be much higher, which is the main reason for social distancing.

That €10 billion is just to the tax payer, that could very easily be multiples yet. It doesn't include the cost to the economy which will mean the total cost per life potentially (even with restrictions we we're unable to prevent the virus reaching nursing homes) saved will be over €100,000 no matter what way you play with the figures.
    What value do you think someone's life is worth if they're 20-30, 30-40, 40-50, 60-70, 70-80, 80+? Put a value on it.

Even work of the higher death rate and it still doesn't change the fact that it is a massive cost per person for very little benefit. Nobody apart from those with people closely affected by the inability to access expensive life saving/changing treatments ever gave a massive amount of thought to it. But now it's mammy or daddy, or granny and grandad who could be affected...

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭A_Lost_Man

Covid-19 is more infectious to rich people than poor people. It seems it is anti capitalistic and it china it has slowed down

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Robson99

That is some amount of ****e talk. We all have loved ones who could die from this. And your thought is that they are going to cost the state money. <snip>

Robson99 wrote: »
    That is some amount of ****e talk. We all have loved ones who could die from this. And your thought is that they are going to cost the state money. <snip>

Have you ever had a loved one who was denied access to care because of the cost, whether directly in medicine/procedure costs or indirectly due to underfunding of health budget?
    Why is now any different?

€100,000 per life saved is nothing.

Going by your restrictions we should stop treating near all cancer patients, stop all organ transplants and most complex disease treatments. No more scoliosis Surgury for them bent over kids.

Heck insulin and associated hospital treatment of diabetics over their lifetime must be €100k so we should stop treating them too based on your new yellow pack value of a persons life.

Have to say your stance on Covid is disturbing, real fact denial is a sad thing. Putting future economic activity ahead of spending on saving thousands of lives is immoral at best and verging on disgusting.

Have you ever had a loved one who was denied access to care because of the cost, whether directly in medicine/procedure costs or indirectly due to underfunding of health budget?
    Why is now any different?

No I haven't. But going by your drivel above people should be let die because they are a financial burden on the state. Cop on.

That €10 billion is just to the tax payer, that could very easily be multiples yet. It doesn't include the cost to the economy which will mean the total cost per life potentially (even with restrictions we we're unable to prevent the virus reaching nursing homes) saved will be over €100,000 no matter what way you play with the figures.
    What value do you think someone's life is worth if they're 20-30, 30-40, 40-50, 60-70, 70-80, 80+? Put a value on it.

Even work of the higher death rate and it still doesn't change the fact that it is a massive cost per person for very little benefit. Nobody apart from those with people closely affected by the inability to access expensive life saving/changing treatments ever gave a massive amount of thought to it. But now it's mammy or daddy, or granny and grandad who could be affected...

I hope you don't suffer too much loss from this pandemic. I'm sure glad you are not running the country.

• Advertisement

I hope you don't suffer too much loss from this pandemic. I'm sure glad you are not running the country.

He / She probably didn't even vote in the recent election ...

Advertisement