Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

As long as you know it's not completely as straightforward as that.
    There's been suicides just from the anxiety of people thinking they may get the worst effects of this.
    Normality is what people want to get back to.

I know what you're saying and I don't envy any government dealing with this ****show.

We all have to deal with this. More will be affected than others. My job involves going into people's homes. It's not going to be the same for a long time. The last 3 weeks before Friday were a balls getting work scheduled. But i think of the homeless famlies living in hotels and being couped up in a box hour after hour and day after day. Now that is hell on earth. At least i can work away for a few more weeks doing paperwork and plenty of farming to do. There is always someone else worse off. Restrictions will be slowly lifted after 6 weeks. That's 18billion cost to the government in 6 weeks approx. They gave the banks a massive 55billion with the stroke of a pen 12 years ago and then the banks put the foot to our throats for more money since then without any compassion. Why shouldn't the workers of this country be looked after for a few months and hopefully be able to spend this money in the economy from then on. It's the people of a country that is its economy not it's monetary value.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

We all have to deal with this. More will be affected than others. My job involves going into people's homes. It's not going to be the same for a long time. The last 3 weeks before Friday were a balls getting work scheduled. But i think of the homeless famlies living in hotels and being couped up in a box hour after hour and day after day. Now that is hell on earth. At least i can work away for a few more weeks doing paperwork and plenty of farming to do. There is always someone else worse off. Restrictions will be slowly lifted after 6 weeks. That's 18billion cost to the government in 6 weeks approx. They gave the banks a massive 55billion with the stroke of a pen 12 years ago and then the banks put the foot to our throats for more money since then without any compassion. Why shouldn't the workers of this country be looked after for a few months and hopefully be able to spend this money in the economy from then on. It's the people of a country that is its economy not it's monetary value.

The point I was making was that there'll be less money for healthcare, housing crises etc going forward if we spend it all now.
    Is triage immoral compared to dealing with things on a first come first served basis? Instead of being in control focusing only on the now is just diverting the tough choices out of your hands by not making these decisions.
    If more years are lost off future lives due to reduced resources than are saved now, was it a worthwhile exercise?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

The point I was making was that there'll be less money for healthcare, housing crises etc going forward if we spend it all now.
    Is triage immoral compared to dealing with things on a first come first served basis? Instead of being in control focusing only on the now is just diverting the tough choices out of your hands by not making these decisions.
    If more years are lost off future lives due to reduced resources than are saved now, was it a worthwhile exercise?

I know in other European countries that you will get reduced treatment if over a certain age. Could happen here too if this persists

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

You have a strange definition of hell on earth in my opinion if you think being stuck in a hotel or at home for a while is what constitutes "hell on earth". My definition of hell on earth would be standing in a 8 foot deep trench, full of rats and god knows what else, starving for months on end, and being ordered to go over the top and charge into a shower of machine gun fire which was guaranteed at best to maim you, or else kill you.

Because what we are being asked to do today couldn't be further from hell on earth - and you do a great disservice to our fore fathers who really had to deal with hell on earth by saying it is

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »
    I know in other European countries that you will get reduced treatment if over a certain age. Could happen here too if this persists

We have to remember that’s standard practice with flu and pneumonia in older patients. Often it’s not viable to ventilate and they are allowed pass away. Each year that happens.
    If we have a disaster here we could see the age at which that decision happens creep lower. But hospitals make these decisions all the time. Often patients don’t even come in from nursing homes or their homes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I understand the point you are making - and no doubt the cost is going to be huge for this - but sometimes you just have to take the cost of a situation and manage it as best you can.

Take the drought of 2018 for example. if you had a herd of 100 bullocks and only grass for 70 would you let 30 die or would you go out and pay €50-60 euro for a bale of silage? From a financial point of view it would probably have been cheaper to let 30 die - especially the way beef is - but i am fairly certain there isn't a farmer in the country who didn't work his ass off to keep every animal of there's fed properly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Panch18 wrote: »
    I understand the point you are making - and no doubt the cost is going to be huge for this - but sometimes you just have to take the cost of a situation and manage it as best you can.

Take the drought of 2018 for example. if you had a herd of 100 bullocks and only grass for 70 would you let 30 die or would you go out and pay €50-60 euro for a bale of silage? From a financial point of view it would probably have been cheaper to let 30 die - especially the way beef is - but i am fairly certain there isn't a farmer in the country who didn't work his ass off to keep every animal of there's fed properly

There is also the cost of every other medical condition that will be under-resourced if we allow our health system collapse under the weight of having so many sick people at once. People will die from other conditions that would normally be fairly routine.

You have a strange definition of hell on earth in my opinion if you think being stuck in a hotel or at home for a while is what constitutes "hell on earth". My definition of hell on earth would be standing in a 8 foot deep trench, full of rats and god knows what else, starving for months on end, and being ordered to go over the top and charge into a shower of machine gun fire which was guaranteed at best to maim you, or else kill you.

Because what we are being asked to do today couldn't be further from hell on earth - and you do a great disservice to our fore fathers who really had to deal with hell on earth by saying it is

Couldn't agree more. It's a comparison to most of our situation as farmers and being able to move around etc etc.

There will be loans and bonds made available by the European central bank's to fill the gap. We will have to pay for it slowly over the decades as taxpayers. We won't go broke. The difference is that now we are in a world crisis. What happened during the boom was as perfect storm of our economy over heating and our banks playing poker with bigger european/world banks money. We got burnt and made an example of by the IMF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Irish farmers tend to throw around terms like that a lot. Silage bales are torture is the main one. Throwing a bit of lime on cubicle beds is pure hardship a wintertime favourite. :pac:

I'm with you on the trenches of the Great War. Imagine surviving that and then comes the Spanish Flu which unlike this one, didn't spare healthy, young people. I've read 24,000 Irish deaths from that.

When this all shakes out, we'll have Sweden to compare and contrast with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »
    We have to remember that’s standard practice with flu and pneumonia in older patients. Often it’s not viable to ventilate and they are allowed pass away. Each year that happens.
    If we have a disaster here we could see the age at which that decision happens creep lower. But hospitals make these decisions all the time. Often patients don’t even come in from nursing homes or their homes.

We see it also in the day job

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭visatorro

Thought the road was busier today. I hope people don't get complacent

The growth of annual flu epidemic Vs percentage of positive test results. The positive % increases with the epidemic. Coronavirus number increases are more related to increases in testing numbers, with it fairly consistent at between 3-12% of tests positive worldwide. This suggests we may be in a different part of the infection cycle or this virus might simply be becoming part of the normal respiratory disease complex and be catching out a very small percentage of people who are in some way more susceptible for whatever reason, while it never gets the chance to build to detectable levels in many others.

visatorro wrote: »
    Thought the road was busier today. I hope people don't get complacent

I was out today shopping after being in for 10 days.
    Local Town was much busier than I expected with plenty of people casually exercising and chatting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Local Town was much busier than I expected with plenty of people casually exercising and chatting.

Missus here had to go to town, and she said exactly the same.
    And apparently a lot of them would have been an older generation, people you would expect to be at home...

So, I dunno...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Are couriers like DPD still operating?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

tanko wrote: »
    A DPD van passed me today on the road.

Yes, got a DPD Parcel Wizard from NI today, great value by the way, ordered stuff from a UK company that don't ship here.

Couriers are I believe classed as essential workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Yes they are

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Around here;

Saturday morning never seen as much traffic early on our little by road.Was in yard about 7:15 and reckon cars passing constantly from 8am or so.Everyone seemed to be going shopping in a panic.
    Was in town about 10/10:30 and queue outside both Super Valu and Aldi.

Sunday road was dead.Very quiet even for a Sunday.Was in Super Valu and lady I know working there said it was like Christmas Eve x 3 on Saturday morning.

Monday morning town was dead,like a Christmas morning.Road busy enough.Went fencing and saw a couple of new house builds working away.

Yesterday and today traffic on roads around here getting a bit busier.Less lorries.Town had a good stir this afternoon when I passed through.Nothing like a normal day but not empty either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

My brother and myself amused ourselves yesterday exchanging videos of Irish towns and villages versus French.

Big difference.
    While traffic and pedestrians were somewhat reduced in towns in the south of Ireland, as my daughter would say...they were still bangin’!
    French towns, even 10 or 15 times more populated, would have no traffic and maybe one pedestrian...

I hope ye know what ye’re doing.

* My brother is retired and had no right whatsoever to be cruising around videoing towns and villages but met no cops or checkpoints...

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭oneten

Around here;

Saturday morning never seen as much traffic early on our little by road.Was in yard about 7:15 and reckon cars passing constantly from 8am or so.Everyone seemed to be going shopping in a panic.
    Was in town about 10/10:30 and queue outside both Super Valu and Aldi.

Sunday road was dead.Very quiet even for a Sunday.Was in Super Valu and lady I know working there said it was like Christmas Eve x 3 on Saturday morning.

Monday morning town was dead,like a Christmas morning.Road busy enough.Went fencing and saw a couple of new house builds working away.

Yesterday and today traffic on roads around here getting a bit busier.Less lorries.Town had a good stir this afternoon when I passed through.Nothing like a normal day but not empty either.

Might have something to do with covid payments ? think they're on fridays

But everyone would “die anyway”

Diabetics
    Transplants
    Cancer
    Septic throats
    Appendix
    Cut fingers.

Plus if it’s left unchecked viral load becomes a factor causing younger and younger healthy people to die exactly like they see in Italy and Spain.

Your “let’s just let it run” principle would see the deaths sky rocket.

Your acceptance to just let people die because they are older or compromised is skirting far too close to Nazi mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Diabetics
    Transplants
    Cancer
    Septic throats
    Appendix
    Cut fingers.

Think we all do eventually.

The Spectator article is about where my thinking on this is at the moment.

Figures and stats can be "massaged" to fit a narrative.
    As an example pedestrians who are drunk and killed by a sober driver are counted as drink driving deaths.
    Sounds all a bit Healy Rea I know but ?

If I have any level of coronavirus and keel over tomorrow from a stroke/ heart attack am I counted as a corona related death?

If I have any level of coronavirus and keel over tomorrow from a stroke/ heart attack am I counted as a corona related death?

A positive test and a death equals a coronavirus death, even if you were asymptomatic with coronavirus and had another serious condition

Oh would you give up. More people have died this week from covid19 than people died of flu over the entire winter. More people will die from other normally treatable conditions including flu as there are not enough ICU beds. Play it down all you want and burry your head in the sand but this is not just like normal flu and requires the actions currently been taken or there will be a lot more deaths. Figures may also be lower because of the actions currently been taken.

Diabetics
    Transplants
    Cancer
    Septic throats
    Appendix
    Cut fingers.

Plus if it’s left unchecked viral load becomes a factor causing younger and younger healthy people to die exactly like they see in Italy and Spain.

Your “let’s just let it run” principle would see the deaths sky rocket.

Your acceptance to just let people die because they are older or compromised is skirting far too close to Nazi mentality.

Society's understanding of covid 19 is not based on solid fact. The death rate is far lower than originally assumed, it's not showing signs of spreading through everyone like an epidemic and it's not massively more dangerous than endemic coronaviruses that cause deaths every year as it is

Society's understanding of covid 19 is not based on solid fact. The death rate is far lower than originally assumed, it's not showing signs of spreading through everyone like an epidemic and it's not massively more dangerous than endemic coronaviruses that cause deaths every year as it is

Because everyone is distancing themselves.

• Advertisement

A positive test and a death equals a coronavirus death, even if you were asymptomatic with coronavirus and had another serious condition

A non positive test and death would have been recorded as death from complications due to flu like respiratory disease and the weekly death toll from confirmed covid19 is far outnumbering the normal flu like deaths and ICU’s worldwide are being overwhelmed 10 fold + compared to normal seasonal respiratory diseases

Advertisement