Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

People will have to do what they are told, like it or not.

We have a chance to save lives but only by following the rules. If people get loose I can see fines being dished out to make a point.

Hospital activity is ramping up so we’re only at the leading edge of the wave of cases ahead. I expect the current lockdown to be extended by another two weeks. ICU cases are primarily people in their 50/60’s with elderly people in their 80/90’s being made comfortable in nursing homes and general wards, many passing away there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

_Brian wrote: »

We have a chance to save lives but only by following the rules. If people get loose I can see fines being dished out to make a point.

Hospital activity is ramping up so we’re only at the leading edge of the wave of cases ahead. I expect the current lockdown to be extended by another two weeks. ICU cases are primarily people in their 50/60’s with elderly people in their 80/90’s being made comfortable in nursing homes and general wards, many passing away there.

Apparently a $5000 fine handed out to some backpackers caught surfing and the police had to give chase to catch them.

Better living everyone

Reports that some ICUs and patients being ventilated are as low as 2% recovery in some hospideals in wuhan

This could include the eldery now,im not sure

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The majority that have come off ventilators here have recovered. I think the total that went to ICU is 176 but the number actually on ventilators ATM is around 130. These figures are from memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

alps wrote: »
    Reckon we cant hold this lockdown until the end of April...they'll surely try to extend beyond Easter Sunday, but unease is going to set in pretty quick...
    Whatever decisions are going to be made about return to work, at risk groups are going to have a long summer indoors and pubs, restaurants, sports gatherings are going to be quiet.

They're setting things up to make the case for an extension ATM. The 12,000 tests being carried out in Germany that would otherwise remain as a backlog will easily yield 600-1,200 positives.
    Nursing home deaths will keep death no's rising for the next month no matter what additional restrictions are put in place and should probably be separated out from the rest of the population.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I'm fully expecting the current restrictions to be in place until the end of May - at least

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

They're setting things up to make the case for an extension ATM. The 12,000 tests being carried out in Germany that would otherwise remain as a backlog will easily yield 600-1,200 positives.
    Nursing home deaths will keep death no's rising for the next month no matter what additional restrictions are put in place and should probably be separated out from the rest of the population.

I think France was doing that but changed yesterday because internationally everyone else was including them.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Panch18 wrote: »
    I'm fully expecting the current restrictions to be in place until the end of May - at least

Kids are getting their Easter holidays today

Why ??
    People dying in nursing homes are real people with real families and their deaths are worth noting

whelan2 wrote: »
    Kids are getting their Easter holidays today

Yea.
    I submitted the last of the youngest’s work to her teacher today.
    Very handy to get feedback by email for them and all.

• Advertisement

Got an email today saying the visas automatically extended to the 25th of September, if you wish to leave prior to then please leave as soon as possible were told.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Why ??
    People dying in nursing homes are real people with real families and their deaths are worth noting

X people died, of which y were in nursing homes.
    Is something wrong with that?
    Restrictions couldn't keep the virus getting into nursing homes and now that it's gotten inside it will pass through a large percentage no matter what course of action is taken in the outside world. So where is the logic of letting increasing deaths in a closed environment decide the policy for outside of this closed environment?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Got an email today saying the visas automatically extended to the 25th of September, if you wish to leave prior to then please leave as soon as possible were told.

Have you decided what to do?

Have you decided what to do?

Well Ireland is the only option really as ive no work rights here, altough its probably safer here i dont want to be couped up in a hostel for the coming months.
    All work here has to be above board by the way cash work is non existent and employment of illegals if youre caught meabs you cant hire any overseas staff again as far as i know. The plan was to get a work visa last week but the offices that process applications is located in Beijing so there is a huge backlog on applications at the minute. It would have been cheaper geg a years work visa as opposed to flying home at the time i made that call.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Restrictions couldn't keep the virus getting into nursing homes and now that it's gotten inside it will pass through a large percentage no matter what course of action is taken in the outside world. So where is the logic of letting increasing deaths in a closed environment decide the policy for outside of this closed environment?
    Humanity and respect come to mind. Remember these restrictions are all about flattening the curve and not overwhelming our health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cases are as low as they are because we're doing what we're doing.
    I believe we're only on the tip of the iceberg yet. I'd say there'll be surge yet that'll swamp the hospitals
    Wonder what idiot ordered the PPE.....I've given up being surprised, you come to expect it after a while

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Cases are low because of the lack of testing. The figures to watch in Ireland are those in hospital and deaths.

This caught my eye from Australia. Ivomec! Something we're all familiar with on our farms. Obviously too early to say but wouldn't that be amazing.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab-c-955457

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

German media now discussing research that suggests the virus spreads far more in mass gatherings than previously thought and less on places like surfaces and shops...

It possibly ties in with the current weighting of cases which align to numbers, density and proximity.

Interesting to see how this debate will grow and if any truth to the findings, could this lead to a "New way of living" for the next year or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In reality when ordering or getting product made n China, you need a contact in situ overseeing the order. Can be difficult getting exactly what you order from China, at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Italian factories will be reopening next week.

Some agricultural machinery ones anyways from some in the know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Water John wrote: »
    In reality when ordering or getting product made n China, you need a contact in situ overseeing the order. Can be difficult getting exactly what you order from China, at the best of times.

when beef plan were in full flight last year I made the comment that they should ask the wool buyers what it's like to deal with the chinese

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Gillespy wrote: »
    Cases are low because of the lack of testing. The figures to watch in Ireland are those in hospital and deaths.

This caught my eye from Australia. Ivomec! Something we're all familiar with on our farms. Obviously too early to say but wouldn't that be amazing.

https://7news.com.au/lifestyle/health-wellbeing/anti-parasitic-drug-kills-covid-19-in-lab-c-955457

Is it 1cc/cwt? I don't think I need the fluke dose:cool: thanks doc.
    l presume turbomec and all the other cheapies will work too. Lads we'll be millionaires yet......

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

blue5000 wrote: »
    Is it 1cc/cwt? I don't think I need the fluke dose:cool: thanks doc.
    l presume turbomec and all the other cheapies will work too. Lads we'll be millionaires yet......

We could make our handling facilities available to the HSE. Might need to get a head scoop installed and invest in a cattle prod for some of those townies.

Gillespy wrote: »

A lad near where my dad is from injected himself with that last year

(A fortnight long whiskey binge,preceded it alright)....but hes still alive

The sooner this antibody testing is brought out to put everyone's mind at ease the better..

Trump announced that there was this drug that stops cv.
    An Arizonan aged couple then on hearing this administered themselves what they believed Mr.Trump was saying could stop covid.

The result..

https://www.wbrz.com/news/elderly-couple-takes-chloroquine-to-treat-covid-19-resulting-in-the-man-s-death-and-his-wife-s-hospitalization/

The sooner this antibody testing is brought out to put everyone's mind at ease the better..

Trump announced that there was this drug that stops cv.
    An Arizonan aged couple then on hearing this administered themselves what they believed Mr.Trump was saying could stop covid.

The result..

https://www.wbrz.com/news/elderly-couple-takes-chloroquine-to-treat-covid-19-resulting-in-the-man-s-death-and-his-wife-s-hospitalization/
    300 Iranian's died after ingesting industrial alcohol in the belief that it would cure Covid-19. People will do what they do and in some cases antibody testing ain't going to prevent it.

https://7news.com.au/news/health/false-virus-cure-kills-hundreds-in-iran-c-768920

Base price wrote: »
    300 Iranian's died after ingesting industrial alcohol in the belief that it would cure Covid-19. People will do what they do and in some cases antibody testing ain't going to prevent it.

https://7news.com.au/news/health/false-virus-cure-kills-hundreds-in-iran-c-768920
    If 150 of those tested positive for antibodies. That's 150 that won't be doing stupid things.

I think it's something like 60% of people show no symptoms and then there's another of those that do, get a sore throat for a day or so and that could easily be written off but it's just that person getting the virus.
    All these people walking around and not having a clue they got it.

If 150 of those tested positive for antibodies. That's 150 that won't be doing stupid things.

I think it's something like 60% of people show no symptoms and then there's another of those that do, get a sore throat for a day or so and that could easily be written off but it's just that person getting the virus.
    All these people walking around and not having a clue they got it.
    So what difference does that make. We have been asked to stay at home to flatten the curve and only go out for essential work/food/chemist in order to

- protect the vulnerable in our society.

- prevent our health service been overwhelmed.

Base price wrote: »
    So what difference does that make. We have been asked to stay at home to flatten the curve and only go out for essential work/food/chemist in order to

- protect the vulnerable in our society.

- prevent our health service been overwhelmed.

If you're tested positive for antibodies you won't be spreading it.
    Won't be taking stupid things to stop yourself from getting it.

Claire Byrne is back in action.
    Dr. Ciara Kelly is too.
    Ryan Tubridy will be too.
    Only reason they each are is they tested positive for it and know they now are no risk to anyone else.

How else do we come out the other side of this? And more importantly get back to society that we had before.
    Otherwise we'll be all neurotically avoiding each other ad finitum.

• Advertisement

If you're tested positive for antibodies you won't be spreading it.
    Won't be taking stupid things to stop yourself from getting it.

Claire Byrne is back in action.
    Dr. Ciara Kelly is too.
    Ryan Tubridy will be too.
    Only reason they each are is they tested positive for it and know they now are no risk to anyone else.

How else do we come out the other side of this? And more importantly get back to society that we had before.
    Otherwise we'll be all neurotically avoiding each other ad finitum.
    Proof?
    Claire Byrne is back in action from a shed at her home.
    Dr. Ciara Kelly is back in action upstairs in the hot press of her home.
    Ryan Tubridy is still MIA.
    We will probably not get back to the society that we had before and tbh I hope we never will. We got way ahead of ourselves flying here, there and everywhere for less than the cost of a good meal out with your OH or partner.

How did our parents and grandparents think they would get out the other side of the Second World War - They worked through the restrictions that were imposed on them at that time and more importantly the rose to the economic challenge in the aftermath. Only for their success we wouldn't be here today and it saddens me now to read/hear how some in our society are prepared to abandon them cause they're going to die anyway.

Advertisement