Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

I get what your saying, I'm supposed to be cocooning according to the 'expert' advice.
    I was a bit wary of the virus at the start but when you delve down into the hard facts it becomes fairly apparent that this is being driven by mass hysteria more so than the lethality of the virus.

The hard facts? You have access to the hard facts but none of the governments do. That's fairly amazing.

Maybe you should send your CV into the WHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

emaherx wrote: »
    The hard facts? You have access to the hard facts but none of the governments do. That's fairly amazing.

Maybe you should send your CV into the WHO.

This is on a par with glyphosate and meat causing cancer. The only difference is, it's not us versus them to balance the discussion. It's an overwhelming majority that 'believe' in the lethality of the virus and anyone who offers a different view is compared to Hitler, dismissed as a selfish prick etc. A proper discussion never takes place.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

This is on a par with glyphosate and meat causing cancer. The only difference is, it's not us versus them to balance the discussion. It's an overwhelming majority that 'believe' in the lethality of the virus and anyone who offers a different view is compared to Hitler, dismissed as a selfish prick etc. A proper discussion never takes place.

Never compared you to Hitler or called you a selfish prick but claiming having the "hard facts" is a fair stretch no matter what your argument is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,548 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The actual chances of dying from it are so low. Don't mix up died with coronavirus as died from coronavirus. The former is the reported figure.

Rubbish the actual chance from dying is all relative to the actions taken by your government. The UK is running at 3-4 times our death rate and climbing faster that us. As well they are hiding some of the casualty figures as they are not testing.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Just speaking from my own perspective, I'd have a number of factors that would increase my risk of serious complications on contracting the virus, my age, sex and diabetes being some of the higher risk factors that would greatly increase my chances of needing hospitalisation, ICU admission and death from this.

And I would by no means be in the highest risk groups that need to be catered for by society greatly reducing contact and spread of this virus.

I might be OK on contacting it but my chances of serious complications occurring would be hugely increased* over yourself, being younger and not having any known underlying conditions. And known is the important word there, many people have unknown underlying illnesses and known illnesses that would hugely reduce their chances of successfully combating the virus.

*by hugely, it looks like 3 or 4 times greater probability of serious consequences.

Can you see a scenario whereby society or at least the economy returns towards some form of normality, and compromised like yourself would take personal measures to protect yourself....
    Could you function in a world that continues, but likely to a set of regulations, and you decide on SOP's relative to your risk....?

I don't believe the world can continue in the current lockdown condition for much longer than a few weeks. I don't believe that economies can afford it, nor do I believe it's citizens will have either the patience or the financial capability to recover. As it is, many business will never see the light of day again, many of their owners looking at the rest of their lives in financial ruins...many workers similar..

The financial and emotional pressure will build to a level where our consideration and value for life or at least what we are willing to pay for it, will decrease, and once the herd starts to move on this, the whole lot will go...

I'm not in any way accepting that this disease is light touch, I'm desperately nervous for our aged parents, and I'll do everything humanly possible to avoid it myself, but we're kind of insulated from the real worst of the despair that is building in the "Outside world"....

If the lockdown continues, the financial hardship will start to travel up the farm roadways, it will knaw through our insulation very quickly (beef finishers at that point now) and we too will be staring wioeout right in the eyes....

While I can't see pubs, concerts, large sporting fixtures, foreign holidays etc being back on the menu until either a cure or a vaccine is found, I do believe most will have to return to work, with new protocols, and the at risk group growing in number, as many volunteer their own admission, and this group will be where resources will be focused, whether it be for their isolation or PPE for their protection.

We can't be far from the point of it being economically more sensible to isolate and protect the vulnerable, than isolating everyone to achieve the same outcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I think the route outlined by the consultant, that Buford put up, is a scenario that most can buy into.

Rubbish the actual chance from dying is all relative to the actions taken by your government. The UK is running at 3-4 times our death rate and climbing faster that us. As well they are hiding some of the casualty figures as they are not testing.

Start from the start and then dig deeper.

The UK got it's first positive about a month before Ireland. So it is further along than us. In two to three weeks time, we will see our death percentage rise from where it is now.

The UK average age is 3.5 years older than Ireland, might make a small difference to deaths percentage.

I don't know, but would guess that per capita the UK has more passengers from China and Italy than Ireland does. So they likely had a higher starting infection load which will give faster early growth, especially in their larger cities with a larger percentage of the UK population likely to be using public transport than in Ireland.

Ireland is testing 2.25 times the amount the UK is per capita. We are much more focused on testing all cases and they are more focused on testing serious cases. This will skew the results quite a bit.

Air quality might also be something to take into consideration, I don't know what the differences would be on that.

By the time you make allowance for these differences the death rate between Ireland and the UK won't be much different. Especially when we get antibody testing to get a sense of how many more than the official figures have gotten the virus.

Hopefully we will also at some stage get a revised figure for deaths that are actually Corona deaths and not died with coronavirus.
    At present if I was to drive to the test centre with no symptoms, crash the car and die on the way home. But the test comes back positive, that is an official coronavirus death.

Ireland is testing 2.25 times the amount the UK is per capita. We are much more focused on testing all cases and they are more focused on testing serious cases.

We've been sold a pup regarding testing......weve only 30,000 tests completed, since the start of this...

alps wrote: »
    We've been sold a pup regarding testing......weve only 30,000 tests completed, since the start of this...

For testing to be effective, it would have had to have been scaled up so much faster. It's meaningless now and is likely causing more harm than good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

We are still testing 2.5 times more people than the UK on a per capita basis

So basically you are 2.5 times more likely to be tested in Ireland than in UK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Comparing against one of worst countries in dealing with this pandemic is only fooling ourselves. Tests per million of population Ireland lags well behind many European countries. Some have over three times as many tested.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Comparing against one of worst countries in dealing with this pandemic is only fooling ourselves. Tests per million of population Ireland lags well behind many European countries. Some have over three times as many tested.

TBH, I find the managing of our expectations more concerning...these boys have history

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Can you see a scenario whereby society or at least the economy returns towards some form of normality, and compromised like yourself would take personal measures to protect yourself....
    Could you function in a world that continues, but likely to a set of regulations, and you decide on SOP's relative to your risk....?

I don't believe the world can continue in the current lockdown condition for much longer than a few weeks. I don't believe that economies can afford it, nor do I believe it's citizens will have either the patience or the financial capability to recover. As it is, many business will never see the light of day again, many of their owners looking at the rest of their lives in financial ruins...many workers similar..

The financial and emotional pressure will build to a level where our consideration and value for life or at least what we are willing to pay for it, will decrease, and once the herd starts to move on this, the whole lot will go...

I'm not in any way accepting that this disease is light touch, I'm desperately nervous for our aged parents, and I'll do everything humanly possible to avoid it myself, but we're kind of insulated from the real worst of the despair that is building in the "Outside world"....

If the lockdown continues, the financial hardship will start to travel up the farm roadways, it will knaw through our insulation very quickly (beef finishers at that point now) and we too will be staring wioeout right in the eyes....

While I can't see pubs, concerts, large sporting fixtures, foreign holidays etc being back on the menu until either a cure or a vaccine is found, I do believe most will have to return to work, with new protocols, and the at risk group growing in number, as many volunteer their own admission, and this group will be where resources will be focused, whether it be for their isolation or PPE for their protection.

We can't be far from the point of it being economically more sensible to isolate and protect the vulnerable, than isolating everyone to achieve the same outcome.
    You're right, of course society can't just cease to function until a vaccine is found. Where do the experts draw the line on relaxing restrictions would be the question.

We will need another month, I think, before relaxations start as the R0, the number of people infected by each carrier, is still over 1 so each carrier will still infect more than 1 person they come in contact with. But after that, people will start ignoring the restrictions, it's Ireland after all and a large cohort took no notice of the first efforts to restrict the spread.

Once school starts back and kids are mingling with other kids who will become exposed and carriers and work starts back again, the focus on handwashing and social distancing will disappear fairly quickly. So unless I and any others who are at high risk can move into another house or the shed and totally isolate from any contact, our risk of catching it will rocket again within a month.

For me, the best short term measure would be some treatment, like the Ivomec above, that can reduce the virus load that we have to deal with to reduce the risks of needing to go to hospital and ICU in the first place.

I don't know, tbh, we could have 20% of the population at risk once you take the older age brackets, cancer treatment patients, asthma, diabetes, obesity and whatever other sections of society are at high risk after catching this. I don't envy the ones having to make the decision to start lowering the restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I was talking to my sister on the phone earlier and she told me about the BCG report. I was born in a nursing home and never received the vaccine :eek:

Reggie. wrote: »
    I read somewhere last week that the US were suing them for one trillion dollars.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Base price wrote: »
    I was talking to my sister on the phone earlier and she told me about the BCG report. I was born in a nursing home and never received the vaccine :eek:

You may have gotten it in primary school.

My mother had scarlet fever on the day they were doing the vaccination in the school and missed hers.
    Seemingly some got it at birth others 5th or 6th class.

If you have that flat skin scar on your upper arm/shoulder you've had it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Reggie. wrote: »

LOL. For all the countries to be suing another country for damages the UK are certainly not the ones to be doing it. Precedent wouldn't be good for them or indeed a lot of other countries

You may have gotten it in primary school.

My mother had scarlet fever on the day they were doing the vaccination in the school and missed hers.
    Seemingly some got it at birth others 5th or 6th class.

If you have that flat skin scar on your upper arm/shoulder you've had it.
    No I don't have them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

https://www.sueddeutsche.de/politik/coronavirus-pflegekraefte-ausland-1.4866124

https://web.archive.org/web/20200330082928/https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/coronavirus-news-deutschland-wolfsburg-laschet-1.4828033

https://web.archive.org/web/20200330082928/https://www.sueddeutsche.de/panorama/coronavirus-news-deutschland-wolfsburg-laschet-1.4828033

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/media/cbs-news-admits-mistake-after-airing-footage-of-overcrowded-nyc-hospital-that-was-actually-in-italy.amp

The situation in hospitals is hard to know as official reports aren't anywhere detailed enough to give a proper view of how things compare to normal. It's definitely not beyond the media to exaggerate things and there are reports that contradict the idea of all hospitals being overwhelmed purely from coronavirus patients which strongly suggests that the virus is only partly the cause of the situation we are in now

You seriously believe it's all some deranged conspiracy theory / mass delusion all the world over?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'm in my early 60s. The children that were 10/15 years older than me, were at risk from various dangerous diseases, diptheria, measles, etc Some died.
    My mother had rubella when carrying me, I escaped, some might disagree.
    In Cork we had a severe polio outbreak. Parents feared all these. Vaccinations were a godsend and we then did not see young people die from these anymore.
    So we had a certain level of loss.
    One wonders are we going back to that, having an acceptable level of loss? Certainly until a vaccine is widely available for this. A low level may be tolerable but then we can't shut up shop for a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Boris gone in to hospitall....... so much for'herd immunity

wrangler wrote: »
    Boris gone in to hospitall....... so much for'herd immunity

He'll have Varadkar minding him...

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has re-registered as a medical practitioner & will work 1 shift a week to help during the coronavirus crisis. He worked as a doctor for seven years, before leaving the profession to become a politician & was removed from the medical register in 2013.

No we don't. Currently our testing rate is 6119 per million of population compared to:
    France - 3436
    Belgium - 6040
    Holland - 4401
    Sweden - 3654
    Poland - 2134
    Romania - 2008
    Finland - 5724
    Greece - 2442
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Not following this thread closely, so am i right in assuming everyone presenting for testing have covid related symptoms?

majority tested are testing negative?
    if so we must have still alot of colds/flu in the month of April.

when there's a r in the month as the saying goes. may will be interesting for covid then i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Base price wrote: »
    No we don't. Currently our testing rate is 6119 per million of population compared to:
    France - 3436
    Belgium - 6040
    Holland - 4401
    Sweden - 3654
    Poland - 2134
    Romania - 2008
    Finland - 5724
    Greece - 2442
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

That's where I checked before making my post and there are lot of European countries doing better than Ireland is there not? I never said we were the worst.

That's where I checked before making my post and there are lot of European countries doing better than Ireland is there not? I never said we were the worst.

And this is where the frustration we now feel on testing stems from..

Look at what we were listening to as far back as 19th of March..

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0319/1124042-coronavirus-ireland/

Nor did I suggest you did.

However of the 50 odd countries that make up Europe we fall into 22nd place by least number of population. I think were doing ok considering we're competing against larger/richer countries for essential supplies like testing kits, testing reagents, ppe etc.

• Advertisement

He'll have Varadkar minding him...

Taoiseach Leo Varadkar has re-registered as a medical practitioner & will work 1 shift a week to help during the coronavirus crisis. He worked as a doctor for seven years, before leaving the profession to become a politician & was removed from the medical register in 2013.
    Dr. Ciara Kelly (Newstalk) has re registered so that she can help out on a part time basis.
    My niece (a doctor) flew home from Aus recently and is currently in self isolation. Thankfully she hasn't shown any signs and is heading to work in a Dublin hospital during the week. I was surprised that she didn't have to be tested.

Advertisement