Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭arctictree

The hype is all based on models, the models are based on a large amount of assumptions and assumptions are often wrong. The majority of people in hospital now we're infected before the lockdown started.

And also a large percentage of the fatalities are in nursing homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

arctictree wrote: »
    I thought this week was supposed to be at or near peak. How come our hospitals are half empty?

The private hospitals and consultant hours are being taken over by the public system so there are no private procedures happening. Already doctors on saying the administrators or whoever drafted it messed up, should have allowed procedures to work away until the extra capacity is needed as it will in turn create more of an unnesseccary back log

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

The hype is all based on models, the models are based on a large amount of assumptions and assumptions are often wrong. The majority of people in hospital now we're infected before the lockdown started.

Or just because we all stayed at home?

So there is a fair spike there for Italy but the data ends 2 weeks ago, a lot have died since and it's far from over.

Also the country has been in lock down for the past month which has reduced the number of deaths compared to what may have been.

Don't suppose you have a graph showing the number of people requiring ventilators compared to normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Sam1 is going to keep riding his pony, no matter what anyone else says.
    Yes there is a bit of a mess up re private consultants, but not having the spare capacity would be having a Sophie's Choice nightmare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Water John wrote: »
    Yes there is a bit of a mess up re private consultants, but not having the spare capacity would be having a Sophie's Choice nightmare.

I don’t agree with Sam - but I think it’s good to have people questioning things too...
    A day may come when we have to make tough decisions, so having knowledge on alternative courses of action is always good...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

1000 deaths in the uk today. That is shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A bit of a comparison of death rates from New York. Forgive the last line, it's not one I'd agree with.
    https://twitter.com/AviBittMD/status/1247820818392002561?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Mooooo wrote: »
    The private hospitals and consultant hours are being taken over by the public system so there are no private procedures happening. Already doctors on saying the administrators or whoever drafted it messed up, should have allowed procedures to work away until the extra capacity is needed as it will in turn create more of an unnesseccary back log

It was an absolute brain fart...

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭Lano Lynn

as the government has introduced unprecedented powers to the gardai to prevent a mass movement of people for the next four days no doubt the short period is to avoid critics complaining about civil liberties.

Considering the fact that the Tigers in Bronx zoo have tested positive for the virus surely this is now an animal health issue.

Therefore the dept of ag should oversee the movement of people because they have the expertise to deal with stupid asses and selfish cows (complete with EID and movement records and penalties up to 100% of annual income.) :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Lano Lynn wrote: »
    as the government has introduced unprecedented powers to the gardai to prevent a mass movement of people for the next four days no doubt the short period is to avoid critics complaining about civil liberties.

Considering the fact that the Tigers in Bronx zoo have tested positive for the virus surely this is now an animal health issue.

Therefore the dept of ag should oversee the movement of people because they have the expertise to deal with stupid asses and selfish cows (complete with EID and movement records and penalties up to 100% of annual income.) :D
    It was already suggested weeks ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

emaherx wrote: »
    So there is a fair spike there for Italy but the data ends 2 weeks ago, a lot have died since and it's far from over.

Also the country has been in lock down for the past month which has reduced the number of deaths compared to what may have been.

Don't suppose you have a graph showing the number of people requiring ventilators compared to normal?

It has up to last week's figures included., Circa 12,500 Corona deaths included. For comparison, in 2015 Italy recorded 54,000 excess deaths over 2014.
    It doesn't make rational sense why we are so worked up about this year's deaths which are still much lower than previous year's.

Water John wrote: »

Point out the flaws in what I've posted and I'll give it consideration

It has up to last week's figures included., Circa 12,500 Corona deaths included. For comparison, in 2015 Italy recorded 54,000 excess deaths over 2014.
    It doesn't make rational sense why we are so worked up about this year's deaths which are still much lower than previous year's.

It's not just deaths but hospital capacity, the bit you seem to miss is if they hadn't gone into lock down deaths would be much higher and not just from Covid19.

A Canadian thread on dumping milk and why.

https://twitter.com/FreshAirFarmer/status/1247876205564526593?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

What published data says this is normal?
    Are Italian hospitals making up that they are overwhelmed way beyond any seasonal flu?

You’d have a better chance of finding a pot of gold in your back garden than picking up the virus because there is no virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

This video has been taken down off YouTube a few times already, he’s obviously telling some truth.

https://www.bitchute.com/video/H4W7FwBy0Ukh/

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    This video has been taken down off YouTube a few times already, he’s obviously telling some truth.

Oh holy ****. :rolleyes:
    I believe a simple tinfoil hat will save you from any effects :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Masifxx

A good message from IFA President Tim Cullinane in today’s Journal. Farmers do need the Minister and Europe to help us but we have to get that message across while respecting that others are worse off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

You’d have a better chance of finding a pot of gold in your back garden than picking up the virus because there is no virus.

Mod: Thanks for the insights but let those be your last posts in this thread.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

From a man that believes some people are shape-shifting reptiles

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭G-Man

Ok - lots of cautions with this article its the daily mail....., but it actually gives some reasoning for the madness in Britain around beef and milk supply..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8204355/Bolognese-Brigade-bought-extra-10-million-packs-mince-panic-buying.html

Consumers have stockpiled mince no end and want more and more of it.. Its cheap and flexible. So supply chains for mince have had to lengthen their supply chain to poland. I guess the could mince the more premium cuts - but maybe it makes a different product or else the suppliers and supermarkets are holding onto high prices in their cold stores while supplying the cheap end with mince from poland.

Article also says that milk is not being collected as the food service end which takes 50% of liquid milk has collapsed and certain dairys - freshways UK specialized in it - so they are canceling supplies. Again why they cant cross supply tesco/asda milk which is in short supply I dont know - different regions - legal contracts, lack of delivery trucks... It shows how brittle our food supply chain is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The US is now the second highest in terms of fatalities, having passed Spain.
    https://google.com/covid19-map/?hl=en

It's not just deaths but hospital capacity, the bit you seem to miss is if they hadn't gone into lock down deaths would be much higher and not just from Covid19.

Just came across this from the US.
    We are basing these fatality estimates on data as of April 2. Based on the most up-to-date statistics from Johns Hopkins, the fatality rate for COVID-19 is 5% – 49,236 divided by 965,246 equals 5%. Currently, the flu fatality rate according to the CDC is 0.1% (62,000 divided by 54,000,000 equals 0.1%). Take a moment to digest these calculations. As of the end of March 2020, the fatality rate for COVID-19 is 50 times greater than the fatality rate for the flu – a drastic difference, but one that may change over time as more data become available.

https://theconversation.com/amp/math-misconceptions-may-lead-people-to-underestimate-the-true-threat-of-covid-19-134520

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The weather has helped greatly in keeping people’s spirits up though the lockdown so far.
    Being able to spend long periods outdoors is such a boost to spirits. If the past two weeks had been wet and cold it would have felt very different.

Obviously it’s creating a challenge with idiots travelling to holiday homes but they may have travelled no matter what.

Have been lots of groups down from Dublin around cavan, fishing and camping, bloody fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The numbers have gone very strange alright. China now has one of the lowest number of infected cases. Whatever about Italy, the US and UK really messed up, by acting too late.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

The numbers have gone very strange alright. China now has one of the lowest number of infected cases. Whatever about Italy, the US and UK really messed up, by acting too late.

I'm abit sceptical of the chinese numbers

Apples and oranges.
    Case fatality rate can't be compared to infection fatality rate without greatly exaggerating mortality

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Reflections of the Virus:
    1. Half of us are going to come out of this quarantine as amazing cooks. The other half with a drinking problem
    2. I used to spin that toilet paper like I was on Wheel of Fortune, now I turn it like I'm cracking a safe
    3. I need to practise social distancing with the refrigerator
    4. I still haven't decided where to go for Easter - the living room or the bedroom
    5. Every few days, try your jeans on just to make sure they still fit. Pajamas will have you believe all is well in the kingdom.
    6. I don't think anyone expected when we changed the clocks, we'd go from Standard Time to the Twilight Zone
    7. This morning, I saw my neighour talking to her cat again. It was obvious she thought her cat understood her. When I got back into the house, I told my dog and we both laughed.
    8. My body has absorbed so much soap and disinfectant lately that when I pee, it cleans the toilet.
    9. I'm so excited it's time to take out the garbage. What should I wear?
    10. I hope the weather is good tomorrow for my trip to "Puerto Backyarda" cos I'm getting real tired of "Los Livingroom"
    11. Classified ad:
    Single man with toilet paper seeks woman with hand sanitizer for good clean fun
    12. Better 6 feet apart than 6 feet under....!!

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Reggie. wrote: »
    I'm abit sceptical of the chinese numbers

Other countries have shown that brutal lockdowns work to stop spread. They are used to dealing with this sort of thing and the use of masks is standard there never mind during a viral outbreak.
    It’s likely they did like the U.K. are doing and only absolutely positive cases are counted, in the U.K. the general feeling among medical staff is the death toll is double what is reported. Some nursing homes have lost 1/3 of residents but since they weren’t tested they aren’t recorded.

Much of what we are relying on is third hand information from all countries with a healthy media spin added in.

To listen to the media you’d think Cavan Hospital Was a basket case. With something like 35 patients and I think 4 in ICU the reality is less sensational.

Advertisement