Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Lads is it a not be too generous the unemployment benefit and making up 70% of wages for some companies. People are at home spending very little, would it not be better nearer to the end of lockdown to pump money into the economy. People will be saving and very cagey

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Some will be devastated, as in dead, if they get this virus. Would that count as a vested interest in my case?
    Sam1 you talk of antibody testing. Something that doesn't exist yet. Medics and politicians had to play the ball that was in front of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was reading on another thread of a landlord of a text from her tenants to say they would be paying none of their rent for this month. Both people in the house getting the 350 per week pay. Rent 1000 euro per month. No kids. To pay none of the rent would bug the crap out of me

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Lads is it a not be too generous the unemployment benefit and making up 70% of wages for some companies. People are at home spending very little, would it not be better nearer to the end of lockdown to pump money into the economy. People will be saving and very cagey

The idea is,so it will keep people in/at home and they wont have to go out and earn it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What you've described is buck passing. It's not a plan, it's hoping everything works out or we'll blame the EU/imf etc in a few years time when they're forcing us to make budget cuts. Healthcare WILL suffer and people WILL die as a direct result of excessive spending and economic damage now.

People are dying atm from Coronavirus. It's a bit early for me to worry about a possible downside in the near future when I might not be around to worry about it.

Graph below showing US cases, it's quite a bit different to a flu.
    https://twitter.com/balajis/status/1247480598194573312?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Economically this shutdown is in a way like a very long weekend, nothing more. That's all it is.

Hands up who thinks they'll have a job at the end of this?

81% of the global workforce of 3.3 billion people have had their workplace fully or patrially closed...

How many retail, manufacturing, accommodation and food, entertainment, travel, tourism jobs will survive?

It will be a long, long weekend..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Economically this shutdown is in a way like a very long weekend, nothing more. That's all it is. It's not like a property bubble bursting etc.

I was out tonight doing a quick bit of shopping and I was stopped twice. Guards were nice enough, in fairness. They had two young fellas pulled over to the side. They looked worried.

Heard a solicitor on the radio recently say that if you fail to comply with any instruction from a guard if out and about maybe when not a valid reason for so .ie he tells you to go home. you would only then be breaking the law if you don't do as instructed.

There's a good side to all this though....the hurling in Sunday's has been exquisite..

Tomorrow at 2pm is Cork V Waterford in the 2004 Munster Hurling final at Semple Stadium..

Don't say who won......paleeeeeese....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

alps wrote: »
    Hands up who thinks they'll have a job at the end of this?

81% of the global workforce of 3.3 billion people have had their workplace fully or patrially closed...

How many retail, manufacturing, accommodation and food, entertainment, travel, tourism jobs will survive?

It will be a long, long weekend..
    Yes it will be but humanity hasn't been wiped off the face of the earth yet. We will adapt to a new economic environment as our predecessors have in the past. Our society maybe the better as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

People are dying atm from Coronavirus. It's a bit early for me to worry about a possible downside in the near future when I might not be around to worry about it.

Graph below showing US cases, it's quite a bit different to a flu.
    https://twitter.com/balajis/status/1247480598194573312?s=19

That's positive tested deaths, it's not comparable to the flu figures for a number of reasons already outlined in this thread

• Advertisement

Water John wrote: »
    Some will be devastated, as in dead, if they get this virus. Would that count as a vested interest in my case?
    Sam1 you talk of antibody testing. Something that doesn't exist yet. Medics and politicians had to play the ball that was in front of them.

Antibody testing can be done, posted a German study where they tested 1,000 people. What can't be done yet is 1,000's of antibody tests per day

Economically this shutdown is in a way like a very long weekend, nothing more. That's all it is. It's not like a property bubble bursting etc.

I was out tonight doing a quick bit of shopping and I was stopped twice. Guards were nice enough, in fairness. They had two young fellas pulled over to the side. They looked worried.
    The economy was in a much worse position coming into this than it was back in 07/08. The problems from then we're glossed over with more debt. This will likely be many times worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What does the 19 stand for in covid 19. Is it the strain of the virus or is it for ths year 2019?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

whelan2 wrote: »
    What does the 19 stand for in covid 19. Is it the strain of the virus or is it for ths year 2019?

Been a lot more strains before this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Base price wrote: »
    Yes it will be but humanity hasn't been wiped off the face of the earth yet. We will adapt to a new economic environment as our predecessors have in the past. Our society maybe the better as a result.

Humanity was never at stake with this. Even the worst models didn't show us being wiped off the earth. The virus spares children and young, healthy people so why even suggest that.

Society is never better in hard financial times. People suffer and die in countless different ways.

Anyone got any links to or have seen any discussions where people who caught the virus discuss where they feel they got it from?

I wonder do we have any people that definitively caught it from a surface, like shopping, door handles etc?

Anyone got any links to or have seen any discussions where people who caught the virus discuss where they feel they got it from?

I wonder do we have any people that definitively caught it from a surface, like shopping, door handles etc?

I linked to an article a day or two ago where a guy working in Germany caught it from a co-worker who passed him some salt from the table behind him.

And this one from the US.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/charlotte-woman-hasnt-left-her-house-in-three-weeks-but-tested-positive-for-covid-19/ar-BB12sjy4?ocid=st

The only contact she had was picking up some shopping, without using gloves, left for her by a neighbour who later tested positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Anyone at a funeral recently?

Local one this morning and decided to drive down to the church/graveyard while herding.Surprised at the amount there,probably 50/60 people in the graveyard.
    Kinda wondering if I would be the only one but it seems everyone had the same idea ie drop down and see if anyone else was going.Only the immediate family seem to have been in the church as that was all followed out the coffin.

Bit strange with everyone spread out through the headstones,no hand shaking etc.
    Probably wouldn't have been too many more at it in normal circumstance.

Really strange how different parts of the country are reacting to the lockdown instructions.
    I'm in Mid Cork and was talking last week to a guy who had been in Kerry that morning. Said it was like a normal day there with traffic, but was totally different when he came over the county bounds into Cork. No one would go to a funeral here.

• Advertisement

Really strange how different parts of the country are reacting to the lockdown instructions.
    I'm in Mid Cork and was talking last week to a guy who had been in Kerry that morning. Said it was like a normal day there with traffic, but was totally different when he came over the county bounds into Cork. No one would go to a funeral here.

Around here not much change.People still stop on the road for a chat if you meet them or in/outside a shop,vets etc etc.
    People are keeping the social distance part but that seems to be about it.

Someone earlier had a post regarding differing circumstances and its effect on people's attitude to all this.
    All these restrictions have had little or no effect so far for me sad as that might sound.
    Only difference is young lad home from school and no pub of a night to catch up on local gossip.
    Otherwise tipping away as usual.Full time farming here with a wee bit of fencing and hire work.Work still going on as usual although road seems quiet enough at times.
    Income wise who knows what the year will bring but is that any different than usual?

No contract work like that here, strictly farm work, ploughing, slurry only.

No contract work like that here, strictly farm work, ploughing, slurry only.

You mean in general or just yourself?

Fencing,digger work etc all tipping away around here.Essential farmwork is allowed.
    Few private houses stopped last couple of weeks but others building away.Depends on material availability etc I suppose.
    Friend doing a house local enough and said he is starting back Tuesday and will see what happens.
    Only probably him and 2/3 others on site.

Everything stopped around here, incl all one off houses and any work outside of regular agri contracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

Buildings still going here in Victoria, Australia. Trades operating away. Relatively normal in that regard but streets quiet usually. DIY shops are hopping. Lot of people working from home. Domestic violence has gone up. State of emergency has been extended for another month. They seem to be slowing the spread down alright so hopefully another month we might be out the other side.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-who/who-is-investigating-reports-of-recovered-covid-patients-testing-positive-again-idUSKCN21T0F1

91 recovered patients in Korea testing positive again after recovering. Looking likely that this strain might be able to reactivate and be shed just like other coronavirus strains.

Interesting comparing latest euromomo death figures to coronavirus deaths in the same countries.
    Reported corona deaths are 27,000 for the last week.
    Total euromomo deaths are 69,000
    Typical deaths for this time of year are 54,000 after a winter with higher flu mortality than we've had this year.
    Doesn't add up to all corona deaths being entirely caused by the virus...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I suppose the big question is - are people dying with the virus or dying because of the virus?
    I see Irish figures are not exactly going down. Long road ahead yet. :mad:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I suppose the big question is - are people dying with the virus or dying because of the virus?
    I see Irish ifgures are not exactly going down. Long road ahead yet. :mad:

The official figures suggest a minimum of 50% die with the virus but that could be higher because due to lower flu deaths you'd expect the death rate to be slower falling to summer death rates

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I heard on the 7pm news on Newstalk that up to 100 false negative test results were sent to people by text but in fact the people were positive.

There is no mention of a timeline between the notification of the false negative result and when the HSE contacted the people by phone. One wonders how many of these people are health care workers.
    Newstalk said that the initial tests were carried out in Germany but there is no mention of that in the Irish Times article.
    "The HSE is investigating an issue where people have been incorrectly informed their test for coronavirus was negative, when in fact they had contracted the virus.

A spokeswoman said the HSE had identified “less than 100 people” who were incorrectly informed about the result of their test.

The error occurred in tests where the original result was unclear or “indeterminate,” but people were informed it had been negative, she said.

When the National Virus Reference Laboratory in UCD reviewed the indeterminate results and re-tested the original samples the results came back as a weak positives.

“Unfortunately these indeterminate cases were initially reported as not detected and consequently were notified to people as such,” the spokeswoman said.

People who had been incorrectly informed by text that their test had been negative were then later told of the positive result in phone calls from contact tracing teams, following the review of the samples by the lab. Contact tracing teams alerted the HSE to the issue on Saturday.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/coronavirus-republic-reports-31-further-deaths-as-cases-pass-10-000-1.4227713?mode=amp

Advertisement