Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps/

The euromomo website has been revamped. The data is much more user friendly now

Things look fairly Grimm there when you look at Italy,Spain and England. Looks like we have done very well here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

emaherx wrote: »
    Things look fairly Grimm there when you look at Italy,Spain and England. Looks like we have done very well here.

Look at the excess mortality graph, cumulative deaths were higher in 2018 than this year and then things really tailed off in the summer

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

Look at the excess mortality graph, cumulative deaths were higher in 2018 than this year and then things really tailed off in the summer

Won't load now.

But cumalitive for all Europe?

Some countries including Ireland have very low death rate at the moment which somewhat brings down the 2020 figures for Europe.

Looking at the UK, Italy and Spain they are well above normal in the last few weeks. And don't see anything close to it in the last 4 years. But even if the figures did somehow average out over 12 months having such a high figure in such a small period of time is the real issue which effects our health systems.

emaherx wrote: »
    Won't load now.

But cumalitive for all Europe?

Some countries including Ireland have very low death rate at the moment which somewhat brings down the 2020 figures for Europe.

Looking at the UK, Italy and Spain they are well above normal in the last few weeks. And don't see anything close to it in the last 4 years. But even if the figures did somehow average out over 12 months having such a high figure in such a small period of time is the real issue which effects our health systems.

They are cumulative from Europe. But compare the countries with high deaths now and the countries with low deaths, most of the worst affected now had lower death rates for the winter up to now and vice versa.
    It mightn't explain all of the difference but this it definitely does make a difference. Those differences even off at a European scale.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This is from Gov Cuomo, posted by Tom On Board, on another thread.

Gov Cuomo in New York has done a briefing today that is not only a model of clarity, bit is chock full of new information.

His people have just done a state-wide antibody study (3000 people tested) and preliminary results are astonishing : some 14% statewide ( 22% of those in NYC ) have antibodies, meaning they have previously been infected. This would extrapolate to 2.7 million ppl have been infected which is over 10 times higher than the confirmed case number of 262,000 according to world meters.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sorry folks, I'm going to post another link about masks. The evidence is fairly strong that masks reduce the volume of virus shed by carriers and this makes the normal person less likely to become infected and lowers the exposure and complications for those that do get infected.

https://www.fast.ai/2020/04/13/masks-summary/

If we want to end the lockdown quickly, masks will have to become commonplace, I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭alps

Stunned at these figures for the likes of Cavan, Westmeath and Wicklow.

Cork and Dublin doing well. Kerry nearlybhas as many cases as Cork...dont know, would there be half the population?

Some of the non City counties are appalling..

Sorry folks....these figures can't be correct...they add up wrong..disregard..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Who's nutrition advice during covid 19

http://www.emro.who.int/nutrition/nutrition-infocus/nutrition-advice-for-adults-during-the-covid-19-outbreak.html
    Consume unsaturated fats (e.g. found in fish, avocado, nuts, olive oil, soy, canola, sunflower and corn oils) rather than saturated fats (e.g. found in fatty meat, butter, palm and coconut oils, cream, cheese, ghee and lard).

Choose white meat (e.g. poultry) and fish, which are generally low in fat, rather than red meat.

Avoid processed meats because they are high in fat and salt.

Where possible, opt for low-fat or reduced-fat versions of milk and dairy products.

There's a large and ever growing body of evidence against doing what they suggest...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yeah Alps those figures were strange. Two days ago, Cork was at 979, now nearly 3,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

Who's nutrition advice during covid 19

http://www.emro.who.int/nutrition/nutrition-infocus/nutrition-advice-for-adults-during-the-covid-19-outbreak.html

There's a large and ever growing body of evidence against doing what they suggest...
    I would have thought their recommendations were standard and widely accepted. I like red meat, salt etc as much as the next but try to moderate it.

Which of their suggestions are unhealthy? Please post some links to the evidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Mentioned to herself about the U.K. finding the “black box” Machines helped people stay off ventilators as per sky news reports.

It’s being done here for weeks now she was saying, called cpap machines and it’s widely known to help. U.K. just trying to look like the invented the wheel to keep public spirits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

_Brian wrote: »
    Mentioned to herself about the U.K. finding the “black box” Machines helped people stay off ventilators as per sky news reports.

It’s being done here for weeks now she was saying, called cpap machines and it’s widely known to help. U.K. just trying to look like the invented the wheel to keep public spirits up.

Commonly used in spinal injury cases where chest infections can become an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Doctor Trump saves the day. Inject people with disinfectant. My God !!

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Doctor Trump saves the day. Inject people with disenfectant. My God !!

The reaction of Dr Birx to what he's saying, though:D
    https://twitter.com/Daniel_Lewis3/status/1253482576699969537?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭ABlur

Dr Birx should have jumped the podium to state there was no scientific basis to the Don's prescription. Like the people who used chloroquinune and died there will be similar who will try the bleach thing. It's like a bad movie watching Trump in action every night.

He's tremendous....a tremendous President...he knows more about injecting dettol than anyone else on earth..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

First funeral here I can't go to. A brother of a good friend.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

First funeral here I can't go to. A brother of a good friend.

Stood out at the road for a neighbors funeral there during the week, lots standing out all the way into town. It was very odd, just three cars after the hearse.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    Stood out at the road for a neighbors funeral there during the week, lots standing out all the way into town. It was very odd, just three cars after the hearse.
    Was catching up with one of my BF's yesterday and she was distraught that she couldn't attend the funeral of a work colleague earlier this week.

Young and middle-aged people, barely sick with covid-19, are dying from strokes.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2020/04/24/strokes-coronavirus-young-patients/

Adam Grant

A lot of the second wave of deaths mentioned in your link would have been covered in greysides link above.
    They include a wide range of typical emergency admissions, including stroke and heart attack patients, as well as those with long term chronic conditions such as diabetes who are not able to access the primary or secondary care services they need. Many are sadly dying in their homes. Others are just getting to hospital too late.

Young and middle-aged people, barely sick with covid-19, are dying of strokes.
    Once thought to be a pathogen that primarily attacks the lungs, it has turned out to be a much more formidable foe — impacting nearly every major organ system in the body.

A lot of the second wave of deaths mentioned in your link would have been covered in greysides link above.

Young and middle-aged people, barely sick with covid-19, are dying of strokes.

It could do with more numbers to let us judge for ourselves.
    In Ireland most likely over 200,000 people have already had the virus going off antibody testing results in other countries, with those sorts of numbers infected how can it be known if coronavirus was the cause or was there a susceptibility already there just waiting for stress or another factor to cause a stroke etc.
    The 2nd wave of deaths mentioned is purely down to regular heart attacks etc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Not trying to be antagonistic or anything but the link Yosemitesam had of deaths on an European scale had Ireland with above average deaths in January to normal and below average deaths to normal in April now.

On my own local radio station this was noticeable at the time (January) with maybe 12 to 15 notices as opposed to now about 5 or 6.

Whether the above average in January had an explanation or the explanation for now is the lockdown or not who knows.
    But just to put that out there in case it wasn't noticed.

[img][/img]https://i.postimg.cc/W47JCRLv/Screenshot-2020-04-26-22-36-31.png

Not trying to be antagonistic or anything but the link Yosemitesam had of deaths on an European scale had Ireland with above average deaths in January to normal and below average deaths to normal in April now.

On my own local radio station this was noticeable at the time (January) with maybe 12 to 15 notices as opposed to now about 5 or 6.

Whether the above average in January had an explanation or the explanation for now is the lockdown or not who knows.
    But just to put that out there in case it wasn't noticed.

Went through this week last year for Cork on RIP.ie and we are running ahead this year. Typically last year was 7 to 15 per day while this year is like 12 to20 per day. Should take the time to count the deaths per week or per month as per day is not accurate..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

alps wrote: »
    Went through this week last year for Cork on RIP.ie and we are running ahead this year. Typically last year was 7 to 15 per day while this year is like 12 to20 per day. Should take the time to count the deaths per week or per month as per day is not accurate..

I'd take the local radio station over rip.ie if you had it.

It's only this year undertakers are getting onboard with rip.ie iykwim.
    The local radio has been the shush time for twenty or more years.

Edit: Here's the link. And with previous years figures.

https://www.euromomo.eu/graphs-and-maps

Grim stuff with the European map.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Rip.ie has been in widespread use tbf, haven't been to a funeral in the last 5 yrs that hasn't been on it

Advertisement