Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,424 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Water John wrote: »
    Mighn't be lockdown but social drinking might be stopped again.
    The uptake of mask wearing has also been poor, don't understand that.

People dont understand how to wear masks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

whelan2 wrote: »
    People dont understand how to wear masks.

Do many on here wear masks when out and about?

I haven’t mainly cos I never think of it until am in town...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

jimini0 wrote: »
    Let the great toilet roll race begin.
    Sorry base I agree with an awful lot of things you say on here but these kind of posts on social media left an awful lot of people without the basics 3 months ago. There is absolutely no reason to panic buy. It only takes a couple of posts like this on social media to get people panicked. The fit and healthy people are well fit to go to the shop on any given day. But like before we HAD to alot time slots for the elderly and health care workers to shop. That should never happen.
    OK rant over
    Apologies, I'm not trying to panic anyone, I'm only giving my opinion. Eldest is living in Melbourne and they relaxed their covid-19 rules about 4 weeks ago similar to what we did last week. He is now in a 6 week lock down although he can still travel to work.
    Irrespective of what happens I'm going to be prudent and stock up on food and essential items.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,317 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Let the great toilet roll race begin.
    Sorry base I agree with an awful lot of things you say on here but these kind of posts on social media left an awful lot of people without the basics 3 months ago. There is absolutely no reason to panic buy. It only takes a couple of posts like this on social media to get people panicked. The fit and healthy people are well fit to go to the shop on any given day. But like before we HAD to alot time slots for the elderly and health care workers to shop. That should never happen.
    OK rant over

It's rare enough I go to town, but I wear my mask indoors there. To prevent your glasses fogging, rub them whit a little soap after rinsing them then polish it off.
    Millions of poor people all over the world wear them constantly as they live in such close proximity, it's their main defence.

Do many on here wear masks when out and about?

I haven’t mainly cos I never think of it until am in town...
    Our Vet gave us a pack of surgical masks when she was here doing the annual herd test in early May, they couldn't be got at that time. TBH other than trying one on I haven't worn any when out and about but I keep a few in the various vehicles that we drive along with bottles of hand sanitiser. I buy all food/household essentials from a local shop mostly late in the evening when it's quiet.
    I haven't gone into a shop/supermarket in NCD since late April cause I reckon that it's just too risky. I posted previously where I saw people out and about during the good weather in May/June (in NCD) where there was feck all social distancing. My Sister has been self isolating since late Feb. Twice weekly she gives me a list of what she needs. I buy them locally and deliver them to her in NCD.
    Wash your hands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Base price wrote: »
    Our Vet gave us a pack of surgical masks when she was here doing the annual herd test in early May, they couldn't be got at that time. TBH other than trying one on I haven't worn any when out and about but I keep a few in the various vehicles that we drive along with bottles of hand sanitiser. I buy all food/household essentials from a local shop mostly late in the evening when it's quiet.
    I haven't gone into a shop/supermarket in NCD since late April cause I reckon that it's just too risky. I posted previously where I saw people out and about during the good weather in May/June (in NCD) where there was feck all social distancing. My Sister has been self isolating since late Feb. Twice weekly she gives me a list of what she needs. I buy them locally and deliver them to her in NCD.
    Wash your hands.

Our church services start this week, I won't be going if I have to wear a mask. I find tehm uncomfortable, I stand back from people if I 'm in a shop. Our Chemist has a machine to slide the cash into and it gives out the change, they then sanitise when they are cashing up, only one handles the cash then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Worrying statistics again tonight, numbers starting to climb again, people have become far too complacint, a cousin of mine has a pub in Co Galway, was talking to him this morning and he was saying the word between all the publicans in his town is that they won't be allowed open until late August possible into September, the carry on in Dublin last weekend didn't help their cause

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭einn32

Going forward it will be lockdown and then open up then lockdown again I reckon. It will ease the burden on the system. The issue in Melbourne is some people refuse to social distance. When you have people with symptoms going to work or visit family then lockdown is inevitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,753 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Water John wrote: »
    Mighn't be lockdown but social drinking might be stopped again.
    The uptake of mask wearing has also been poor, don't understand that.
    Medical people were the top priority when it came to masks. Public service policy and not science dictated matters.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

GoneHome wrote: »
    Worrying statistics again tonight, numbers starting to climb again, people have become far too complacint, a cousin of mine has a pub in Co Galway, was talking to him this morning and he was saying the word between all the publicans in his town is that they won't be allowed open until late August possible into September, the carry on in Dublin last weekend didn't help their cause

The numbers can be highly influenced by false positives now.
    There was 26,000 tests carried out in the week up to the third of July with 71 positive, that's a little over one quarter of one percent testing positive.
    The true specificity of the covid test isn't known but it will be less than 100% and if it's less than 99.73% it means that all of the positives from that week could have been false positives.
    But the experts in charge aren't used to dealing with unreliable field data and seem to be reading far too much into these numbers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

The numbers can be highly influenced by false positives now.
    There was 26,000 tests carried out in the week up to the third of July with 71 positive, that's a little over one quarter of one percent testing positive.
    The true specificity of the covid test isn't known but it will be less than 100% and if it's less than 99.73% it means that all of the positives from that week could have been false positives.
    But the experts in charge aren't used to dealing with unreliable field data and seem to be reading far too much into these numbers

That's great , so they don't have to isolate?
    They won't have to go to hospital if they need to?
    They won't need to go to ICU if they need to?
    Some of their family's won't need to bury them?
    And all because the experts don't know what they are doing ??

That's great , so they don't have to isolate?
    They won't have to go to hospital if they need to?
    They won't need to go to ICU if they need to?
    Some of their family's won't need to bury them?
    And all because the experts don't know what they are doing ??

Don't think you understood my post. The numbers are talked about with certainty when they are anything but.
    Is there a statistically significant difference to zero in positive results over the last two weeks? Probably not and if there is it's very marginal and nothing to be worked up about

No I understood your post perfectly.
    You are trying to cast doubt on the accuracy of the tests.
    The test might not be perfectly accurate but it is nearly so, worst case if one of two people had to self isolate unnecessarily, it's for the common good.

Don't forget to add on the false negatives when you subtract the false positives.

No I understood your post perfectly.
    You are trying to cast doubt on the accuracy of the tests.
    The test might not be perfectly accurate but it is nearly so, worst case if one of two people had to self isolate unnecessarily, it's for the common good.

Don't forget to add on the false negatives when you subtract the false positives.

When talk of another lockdown starts coming into it based on these positive test results slightly increasing, I added balance.
    Did I ever mention anything about the individual at the other side of that positive test?
    I only brought up the statistical relevance which hasn't been mentioned in the media, but yet we will have academics coming out calling for a return to restrictions etc and creating hysteria over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

When talk of another lockdown starts coming into it based on these positive test results slightly increasing, I added balance.
    Did I ever mention anything about the individual at the other side of that positive test?
    I only brought up the statistical relevance which hasn't been mentioned in the media, but yet we will have academics coming out calling for a return to restrictions etc and creating hysteria over nothing.

This is the type of ****e talk that is goin to drive this country into lockdown again.
    Obviously you are fit and healthy. You don't have elderly parents. You don't have elderly relatives neighbours or friends. You don't have kids that are sick. If the elderly and sick get the virus most cases will die. Sure thats OK I will be fine. Sure if I get it myself and give it to the lads it will be great Craic. So what if I give it to the lady in the shop when I hand over my cash for a few cans. Then she serves a few more customers . Then she calls into her parents before goin home to her kids.
    Its the scientists that are causing hysteria over nothing. Plough on like its 2019

This is the type of ****e talk that is goin to drive this country into lockdown again.
    Obviously you are fit and healthy. You don't have elderly parents. You don't have elderly relatives neighbours or friends. You don't have kids that are sick. If the elderly and sick get the virus most cases will die. Sure thats OK I will be fine. Sure if I get it myself and give it to the lads it will be great Craic. So what if I give it to the lady in the shop when I hand over my cash for a few cans. Then she serves a few more customers . Then she calls into her parents before goin home to her kids.
    Its the scientists that are causing hysteria over nothing. Plough on like its 2019

What have I said that was incorrect?

I've been advised to cocoon btw...

The expert on the stats at the briefings has been quite clear about the fact that they are dealing with small numbers and that this makes the calculation of figures like transmission rate quite variable.
    Doesn't matter how many are tested. We had 23 positives and everyone of them is a younger person. That tells you where the spread risk is.

Masks for the public are usually two or three layers of cloth, surgical masks like N95 are a different thing altogether.

I'm a male but a significant percentage of women actually don't like wearing a bra and find it uncomfortable. But almost all wear one in work and social situations. Same with the mask. As my OH would say, build a bridge and get over it.

One of my family wears PPE most days and the N95 mask is uncomfortable. You sweat in the plastic and cannot drink. The rest of us wearing a mask is a small imposition.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭alps

If yesterdays results are not an outline it would represent a significant change for all of us.

All under 45...15 of 23 returning from abroad..

These are not old folks homes, not hospitals, not clusters..

If replicated over the next week, this signals random unpredictable outbreaks anywhere in the country.

How fast and how effectively each of these will be contained will determine how we live our lives for the bear future.

GAA club lockdown in west Cork is exactly how we will be proceeding for some time.

alps wrote: »
    If yesterdays results are not an outline it would represent a significant change for all of us.

All under 45...15 of 23 returning from abroad..

These are not old folks homes, not hospitals, not clusters..

If replicated over the next week, this signals random unpredictable outbreaks anywhere in the country.

How fast and how effectively each of these will be contained will determine how we live our lives for the bear future.

GAA club lockdown in west Cork is exactly how we will be proceeding for some time.
    It's important to also compare how the profile of who's being tested has changed over the last few weeks.
    The majority of people who would have had some symptoms but we're under 50 wouldn't have qualified for a test before the end of May.
    Under 45s make up over 60% of the population and probably a much larger percentage of daily people interactions.

At the end of the day money talks and takes precedence over the health and welfare of the Nation. It wouldn't be allowed if they were livestock.
    https://www.newstalk.com/podcasts/highlights-from-the-pat-kenny-show/almost-10000-new-cases-texas-flight-arrives-dublin-dallas?fbclid=IwAR2OyWlCmge-ZzXDc_jQdgvWTp5BuWrV6tDO3Eu8-09g_PiwXqQoC7Ddt24

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Passed by the Moy earlier and there was some ammount of UK reg plates around the place, between this and the yanks flooding in i've a feeling we'll be back to square one very shortly.

There's been some shocking decisions made at goverment level right from the start of this pandemic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A possible solution to social distancing with a farming angle:D
    https://twitter.com/ThurnellReadSoc/status/1282674013022691334?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A possible solution to social distancing with a farming angle:D
    https://twitter.com/ThurnellReadSoc/status/1282674013022691334?s=19

I just knew that was the electric fence in the pub before that tweet loaded. :p

I hear the Heritage Park down here in Wexford give each visitor a 2m Neolithic spear to ensure social distancing..
    Not sure how that works though.:D

Visitor restrictions in the home too. Max 10 visitors from no more that 4 households.

The definition between a home and a pub is getting blurred in someplaces.

No more big house parties.

A wee video on our masks and what to do with them.
    https://twitter.com/RTEBrainstorm/status/1263073295336976389?s=09

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

A wee video on our masks and what to do with them.
    https://twitter.com/RTEBrainstorm/status/1263073295336976389?s=09

Where did rte get that video? The guy at 44 seconds looks well dodgy. About to mug someone

Where did rte get that video? The guy at 44 seconds looks well dodgy. About to mug someone

It's an RTE video, from a section of them anyway.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Six types of Covid-19 presentation. Trying to predict the severe cases early to lessen the affects using machine learning.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-40017677.html

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/coronavirus-is-weakening-could-die-on-its-own-without-vaccine-italian-expert/ar-BB15N3hh?ocid=sf2

Matteo Bassetti said patients who could have previously succumbed to COVID-19 were recovering without breathing difficulties

- Bassetti said the virus was like a tiger in March and April but had downgraded to a wild cat in the recent weeks

- The professor said the virus was weakening by itself and a vaccine was no longer necessary to quell it

- He further said though it was not scientifically proven, there was a huge likelihood that COVID-19 was losing its virulence and was mutating

The novel coronavirus is no longer lethal as it used to be and could die on its own without a vaccine, an Italian expert has said.

Head of the infectious diseases clinic at the Policlinico San Martino hospital in Italy, Matteo Bassetti hinted at a possible end in sight of the virus after stating that COVID-19 was losing its virulence since most patients who would have died from the disease in March or April were now recovering.

Matteo Bassetti said COVID-19 was losing its virulence and thus becoming less lethal.

Speaking to the Telegraph, Bassetti said the virus had downgraded from an abrasive "tiger and was currently a wild cat" going by the plummeting number of cases in various parts of the world including Italy which was once an epicentre of the virus.

He said this development meant a vaccine was no longer needed to combat the disease since it may weaken by itself and never return.

"In March and April, people were coming to the emergency unit with a difficulty to manage the illness as most of them needed oxygen and ventilation," the professor said.
    "Now, in the past four weeks, patterns have changed and there could be lower viral load in the respiration system probably due to a genetic mutation in the virus which has not yet been demonstrated scientifically," he added.
    He said patients who could have died of the disease two months ago were recovering.

He said 80 and 90-year-old patients were surviving the virus and breathing with ease but two months ago, they would have needed ventilators.

The expert said there was a likelihood that the virus was mutating and the lower viral load in the body was due to containment measures such as social distancing.

He said it was possible that the virus was mutating.

"Yes, probably it could go away completely without a vaccine. We have fewer and fewer people infected and it could end up with the virus dying out," he told the Telegraph.
    This came a month after a former World Health Organisation (WHO) official said coronavirus was burning out by itself.

"There is a real chance that the virus will burn out naturally before any vaccine is developed and I suspect we have more immunity than estimated," Karol Sikora said.
    However, some doctors across the world have been dismissing such claims saying there was no scientific evidence to back the claims that the virus had changed in any way.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement