Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The reason that Tuesdays figures are larger than other days figures right across Europe.
    https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1285632241134112771?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭einn32

Mandatory masks in Melbourne from tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The reason that Tuesdays figures are larger than other days figures right across Europe.
    https://twitter.com/Care2much18/status/1285632241134112771?s=19

I try to do a 7 day average rather than depending one days cases, unless I've made a mistake we're at the levels of five weeks ago and rising

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Local hospital starting to see Covid admissions again.

There’s going to be an inevitable raise in cases as the country is moving about more.

But it needs to level out soon or you could expect to see restrictions imposed again.

So many people going about acting like it never happened. These are the people who are spreading it about. Was in filling station in Cavan yesterday and again, about half of the customers not wearing masks. It seems lots of Cavan people have just decided not to bother with masks at all.

wrangler wrote: »
    I try to do a 7 day average rather than depending one days cases, unless I've made a mistake we're at the levels of five weeks ago and rising

Yeah, we're going backwards:(

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I see the majority of people are complying and wearing masks in shops. Those not wearing them really stand out and get baleful looks.

Base price wrote: »
    I see the majority of people are complying and wearing masks in shops. Those not wearing them really stand out and get baleful looks.

What surprised me was the amount of older people not wearing masks yesterday in town. Even before masks were made compulsory in shops, the vast majority of older people I saw had masks on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The most concrete piece in that article was comparing virus spread between hamsters in a cage with or without a mask partition.
    Not the most representative study of real life conditions...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭minerleague

Am i the only person who thinks the experts are making it up as they go along ? why was it alright not to wear masks in shops a week ago?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but

Dancing With The Stars has been cancelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,317 ✭✭✭✭Water John

This is a new virus and yes scientists are actually making it up as they learn more. It's an evolving understanding. And yes too different scientists would have different emphases.
    On the issue of masks, I think we erred in not adopting them much earlier. That and the late response to the outbreaks in nursing homes would be my, two flaws in our, what was overall very good, response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭alps

why was it alright not to wear masks in shops a week ago?

It wasn't..

• Registered Users Posts: 999 ✭✭✭einn32

Most of the people who have had symptoms, awaiting test results or tested positive in the last two weeks haven't bothered to isolate in Melbourne according to the media. They have brought in the army to knock on doors to see are they isolating.

Two different projects, one UK the other Dutch are pointing to the key role of beta interferons in overcoming the infection.
    https://www.genomeweb.com/sequencing/rare-tlr7-variants-implicated-covid-19-severity-case-study-affected-brothers#.XxxI2VVKjIU

This is the Dutch study of two sets of young brothers who got severe symptoms. All four had to be ventilated and one died. A lack of TLR7 which instructs the manufacture of the interferon was found.

The other is the trial of the use of SNG001 from Southampton University. This is administering beta interferon in an inhaler.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/20/trial-of-covid-19-coronavirus-drug-given-via-inhaler-sng001-very-promising-say-scientists

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

The reason masks weren't mandatory before now was mainly due to the supply issue rather than acknowledging that they worked or not. I think it was widely accepted that they're effective going back to the sars pandemic in Asia.

The reason masks weren't mandatory before now was mainly due to the supply issue rather than acknowledging that they worked or not. I think it was widely accepted that they're effective going back to the sars pandemic in Asia.

There was multiple studies over the years that were inconclusive to no benefit.
    If there is any benefit, it is very small and is nowhere near as clear-cut as has been made out in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

There was multiple studies over the years that were inconclusive to no benefit.
    If there is any benefit, it is very small and is nowhere near as clear-cut as has been made out in the media

Masks are to stop you breathing out droplets of virus not on preventative side.

Masks are to stop you breathing out droplets of virus not on preventative side.

Absolutely.
    If we prevent people spreading it when they have it numbers will stay low.

This isn’t rocket science.

Stopping the droplets which are the transport medium for the virus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Seemed akin to rocket science in March/April time though if you remember. Simple little cloth masks is all it took but they preferred to squander lives and the economy than show any leadership. My mother has been invited to make masks for some charity. There is nothing to them. She could have thousands made since this thing started.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Seemed akin to rocket science in March/April time though if you remember. Simple little cloth masks is all it took but they preferred to squander lives and the economy than show any leadership. My mother has been invited to make masks for some charity. There is nothing to them. She could have thousands made since this thing started.

Yep.
    They were afraid to recommend face coverings as masks were in tight supply. I think that was one of the very few errors of the government’s management of the crisis.

I'm just afraid masks give people a false sense of security ( If simple masks are this effective why did so many die in spanish flu outbreak 100 years? ago?)

I'm just afraid masks give people a false sense of security ( If simple masks are this effective why did so many die in spanish flu outbreak 100 years? ago?)
    The reasons for wearing a mask simple.
    kmi0bnw.jpg

There has been no landmark study that has definitively shown masks make a positive difference released in the past few months.
    The science coming into the year was that only in very specific circumstances would they make a positive impact. But at some point since, the science all of a sudden became clear, masks work end of...

Science most definitely is not the reason it all of a sudden became important to start making mask wearing compulsory

• Registered Users Posts: 6,086 ✭✭✭emaherx

There has been no landmark study that has definitively shown masks make a positive difference released in the past few months.
    The science coming into the year was that only in very specific circumstances would they make a positive impact. But at some point since, the science all of a sudden became clear, masks work end of...

Science most definitely is not the reason it all of a sudden became important to start making mask wearing compulsory

I'd rather wear a mask and for them to be wrong than not wear one and for them to be right.

Would seem to make sense that covering your face blocks some of the droplets that you would otherwise be breathing or coughing out into the room. They have said all along that you wearing a mask won't protect yourself as much as it will others.

As a matter of interest do you still stand by your previous claims of this disease being no worse than seasonal flu or other coronavirus?

emaherx wrote: »

As a matter of interest do you still stand by your previous claims of this disease being no worse than seasonal flu or other coronavirus?

The Irish antibody study estimated just under 5% of the population had antibodies.
    Swedish research into t cells showed that for every one person with antibodies there was two with a t cell response.
    So roughly 10% of the population have most likely had an infection and we have 1,700 deaths related to covid. A
    significant amount of those didn't die from covid.
    So more than ever before, I think it was the greatest fcukup of our time reacting in the way we did.

The reasons for wearing a mask simple.
    kmi0bnw.jpg

fair enough but why are numbers creeping back up in europe when masks seem to be widely used. I'm not disputing that masks help but i dont think its as strong as some believe. Plenty "experts" say cut out red meat based on research that suits their view and plenty believe them.

fair enough but why are numbers creeping back up in europe when masks seem to be widely used. I'm not disputing that masks help but i dont think its as strong as some believe. Plenty "experts" say cut out red meat based on research that suits their view and plenty believe them.

Even in Asia where mask wearing is very common for a long time. They still suffer from respiratory diseases every year and managed to infect the world with multiple virus strains

• Advertisement

Masks are one tool, along with social distancing, hand washing and cough etiquette, these are the main tools we've got.
    Death rate are a very poor and rough analysing method of the effect of Covid 19.
    Many are feeling long after effects. Some have organ damage and others are amputees. The clotting being the main culprit.
    As the medical people learn they tweak treatments. eg blood thinners would now be fairly standard.

Advertisement