Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,544 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

L3 according to the twitter machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,316 ✭✭✭✭Water John

All the country going to Level 3 seems to be the Govn't decision, about right, but implement fully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Suckler

_Brian wrote: »
    Was in a farm stores there between Cavan and Monaghan there, three staff none wearing masks or visors and no screen at tills. Four other customers there none wearing masks.

This is the bull**** were against.

Just back from the local shop; There four aul codgers in there without a mask in sight and they never bothered with the hand sanitizer. C0nts. They;d be the usual aul b0llix moaning about the HSE/Government/Gards/young lads in Gaa out drinking etc. And people wonder why numbers are rising.

Moving to L3 is a fair gamble. It’s essentially no real change, few less people in your house and that’s about it.

Problem as I see it is the people who aren’t bothering with restrictions now won’t be making any changes now.

Also by watering down the NEPHIT advice so much they are sending the signal that these guys are overreacting and everything is probably grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,419 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Moving to L3 is a fair gamble. It’s essentially no real change, few less people in your house and that’s about it.

Problem as I see it is the people who aren’t bothering with restrictions now won’t be making any changes now.

Also by watering down the NEPHIT advice so much they are sending the signal that these guys are overreacting and everything is probably grand.

No attendance at mass
    No games - this one really annoys me as it's not the juveniles that ruined it yet they are paying the price
    25 people st a wedding
    Cant remember how many allowed at a funeral

• Advertisement

Suckler wrote: »
    Just back from the local shop; There four aul codgers in there without a mask in sight and they never bothered with the hand sanitizer. C0nts. They;d be the usual aul b0llix moaning about the HSE/Government/Gards/young lads in Gaa out drinking etc. And people wonder why numbers are rising.
    Did you say anything about the masks or sanitizer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Stay well back from them mask up urself, in and out fast and you be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Have seen endless photos of teams online in small huddles arms all over each other, no regard at all. Cluster in Cavan from GAA has moved out onto the community in Ballinagh. GAA are cribbing to let more spectators into grounds but not controlling the teams. It should be shut down in fairness.
    Our cleaning lady lives in Ballinagh. She hasn't done any house cleaning since Covid arrived. OH called to her house on the way back from the bank in Cavan, she opened the window and shouted to him to stay in the van. She is waiting for her test result tomorrow and has been in bed with flu like symptoms since Saturday. She said that the gaa team were partying on the streets of Ballinagh after their win, no masks or social distancing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭Suckler

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did you say anything about the masks or sanitizer?

"Ara it's only a cod." & "It's as bad as cold" was the the medical opinion of the group leader when I asked if he'd heard the news about the surge in numbers.

edit: The shopkeeper said nothing while I was there; if he got shut down it'd finish him.

Suckler wrote: »
    "Ara it's only a cod." & "It's as bad as cold" was the the medical opinion of the group leader when I asked if he'd heard the news about the surge in numbers.

edit: The shopkeeper said nothing while I was there; if he got shut down it'd finish him.

Daughter works in local shop
    No customer allowed in without a mask. Kids are ok
    Every customer has to sanitize their hands
    There are perspex screens and staff dont wear masks behind them but wear a mask when out on shop floor
    They are very strict and a few have been refused entry to the shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭endainoz

I agree, it is a fair gamble alright. I don't think this will change numbers a whole pile and will draw itp it even longer. The fear is that they might be forced to introduce stricter measures around cthe middle of November and it will make a total balls of the Christmas retail season and that's when businesses will really suffer.

Daughter works in local shop
    No customer allowed in without a mask. Kids are ok
    Every customer has to sanitize their hands
    There are perspex screens and staff dont wear masks behind them but wear a mask when out on shop floor
    They are very strict and a few have been refused entry to the shop

Proper order.
    I’ve seen many shops with “no mask, no entry” up.

Proper order.
    I’ve seen many shops with “no mask, no entry” up.

Have lost count of how many times I've had to walk back to my car to get my mask :mad:

Have lost count of how many times I've had to walk back to my car to get my mask :mad:

Same.
    But still have to do it.

Same.
    But still have to do it.

Yup it's happened me a couple of times already, the dirty looks you get from aul wans is a dead giveaway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭alps

Finally we have a government...Tonight the Taoiseach and Tanaiste were outstanding.

Big decision today..

Micheál with the easier gig tonight but the Tanaiste was supreme with a torrid ridiculous interviewer...

They definitely laid down the line as to who the boss is..

I think they got it about right. Level 3 lads and cop yere selves on. The people have 3 weeks to 'flatten the curve'.

alps wrote: »
    Finally we have a government...Tonight the Taoiseach and Tanaiste were outstanding.

Big decision today..

Micheál with the easier gig tonight but the Tanaiste was supreme with a torrid ridiculous interviewer...

They definitely laid down the line as to who the boss is..

When the counties short supply of ICU beds run out next month we'll see how smart this decision was.

A decision like this was inevitable, they had to make a decision on what was more important in the country, the economy or the vulnerable in the community.

I do really hope I'm wrong on this one, but I do have a fear of hospitals becoming overloaded and people needlessly dieing because of a lack of beds like what happened in Northern Italy in the beginning.

The other issue to consider is that ventilation is now viewed as a last resort. Patients lie face down mostly to ease breathing and would be given supplementary oxygen along with Dexamathasone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

endainoz wrote: »
    When the counties short supply of ICU beds run out next month we'll see how smart this decision was.

A decision like this was inevitable, they had to make a decision on what was more important in the country, the economy or the vulnerable in the community.

I do really hope I'm wrong on this one, but I do have a fear of hospitals becoming overloaded and people needlessly dieing because of a lack of beds like what happened in Northern Italy in the beginning.

Let's hope your wrong man. I think if they got tougher on enforcement of the restrictions we could get by on level 3. It's a difficult decision to make going on total lockdown. But if the hospitals start filling up like Tony has projected by the 25th of October then what ?

It really is a fcked up time we live in. Very hard to keep going and not despair a bit for myself anyway just have to keep ploughing on as they say.

• Advertisement

NcdJd wrote: »
    Let's hope your wrong man. I think if they got tougher on enforcement of the restrictions we could get by on level 3. It's a difficult decision to make going on total lockdown. But if the hospitals start filling up like Tony has projected by the 25th of October then what ?

It really is a fcked up time we live in. Very hard to keep going and not despair a bit for myself anyway just have to keep ploughing on as they say.

Absolutely! There are better treatment methods and doctors do understand it more. I just can't see people taking level 3 all that seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭alps

Gonna throw another perspective in the mix..

Daughter lives in Dublin, with Nurses and social circles would take in more.

One group of Italian nurses contracted covid back in April, got through fine but have residual issues with taste which for Italians is a bit of a disaster.

Anyway, one of them wanted to head home to Italy to visit parents in August (Italy on green list), so.arranged a test for himself before travelling (as parents elderly).

Shocked when the result came back positive. In consultation with his doctor, he was informed that many who had previously contracted the virus can again test positive to that original event and to ignore the new findings and continue with his trip.

Nurses in the house are finding the same thing happening in their hospital where patients (all tested) are testing positive but had contracted the virus previously in March/April..

The obvious question from this is, how many of the current positives (asked to test as being deemed a close contact) are actually residuals from last spring where the may not have noticed having the virus.

If this happens to be an actual phenomenon, it would answer the current run of low admissions and deaths relative to cases.

If we pull through the next 6 to 8 weeks with this relatively high positive rate but with the corresponding low death rate, it could mean we are looking at the light at the end of the tunnel and a confidence to return to normal while accepting the likelihood of picking up the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Water John wrote: »
    I think they got it about right. Level 3 lads and cop yere selves on. The people have 3 weeks to 'flatten the curve'.

The people have 3 weeks to 'flatten the curve'?!

That's what they said in March. Number of deaths since June is so low as to be statistically insignificant.

This is not "living with Covid"
    The Nephet cure - in terms of livelihoods, cancers, mental health, domestic abuse, loneliness, isolation - (not to mention the slaughter of the domestic economy) is now worse than the disease.

Unfortunately, we for 4 months too long we have outsourced the running of our country to a group of over-paid ivory tower academics who cant see beyond the single issue of Covid.

Just maybe we will see some leadership from the government after today...

We shouldn't use the knowledge we have gained to make a judgement on what was done earlier.

alps wrote: »
    Gonna throw another perspective in the mix..

Daughter lives in Dublin, with Nurses and social circles would take in more.

One group of Italian nurses contracted covid back in April, got through fine but have residual issues with taste which for Italians is a bit of a disaster.

Anyway, one of them wanted to head home to Italy to visit parents in August (Italy on green list), so.arranged a test for himself before travelling (as parents elderly).

Shocked when the result came back positive. In consultation with his doctor, he was informed that many who had previously contracted the virus can again test positive to that original event and to ignore the new findings and continue with his trip.

Nurses in the house are finding the same thing happening in their hospital where patients (all tested) are testing positive but had contracted the virus previously in March/April..

The obvious question from this is, how many of the current positives (asked to test as being deemed a close contact) are actually residuals from last spring where the may not have noticed having the virus.

If this happens to be an actual phenomenon, it would answer the current run of low admissions and deaths relative to cases.

If we pull through the next 6 to 8 weeks with this relatively high positive rate but with the corresponding low death rate, it could mean we are looking at the light at the end of the tunnel and a confidence to return to normal while accepting the likelihood of picking up the virus.

This is not surprising though - because the test is for presence (even in tiny quantities) of the virus - not for illness.

Seeing as the virus was in every county in the country back in March, you can be sure we've all been in contact with it (if not carrying it) since then.

The overwhelming majority are entirely asymptomatic.
    Obviously Covid is still a major risk for over 75s and at risk groups. But so is pneumonia and countless other contagious infections.

Time to start "living with Covid" was back in June which is when building hospital capacity for the winter should have been the single biggest priority for government. Instead they did nothing on that front and now the proposed solution in October is that we all stay at home indefinitely. Crazy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭Gillespy

No deaths today. Very few deaths for a few months now thankfully. But that seems to be totally inconsequential. Cases man. How many cases would we have had in March/April time with proper testing.

Is Boards acting up again or did I read about us maybe having a situation like Northern Italy? Totally unnecessary to be putting that out there, fair enough seven months ago but now?

By the way, that hack Tony Holohan, if he had anything about him, any bit of pride at all, he would resign tonight. But this is the guy from the cervical cancer scandal so he won't.

Studies have shown only a limited per cent have got Covid virus. Even in the worst parts of NY it was around 21%, just 14% state wide. We have nothing like that.

Gillespy wrote: »
    No deaths today. Very few deaths for a few months now thankfully. But that seems to be totally inconsequential. Cases man. How many cases would we have had in March/April time with proper testing.

Is Boards acting up again or did I read about us maybe having a situation like Northern Italy? Totally unnecessary to be putting that out there, fair enough seven months ago but now?

By the way, that hack Tony Holohan, if he had anything about him, any bit of pride at all, would resign tonight. But this is the guy from the cervical cancer scandal so he won't.

In any other county Holohan would have been sacked after the cervical check disgrace.
    But we put him in charge of the country for months instead.

Water John wrote: »
    Studies have shown only a limited per cent have got Covid virus. Even in the worst parts of NY it was around 21%, just 14% state wide. We have nothing like that.

That's antibody testing though, so will only tell if you had recent viral challenge.
    You might have been infected in March and not show antibodies in test now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Neddyusa wrote: »
    The people have 3 weeks to 'flatten the curve'?!

That's what they said in March. Number of deaths since June is so low as to be statistically insignificant.

This is not "living with Covid"
    The Nephet cure - in terms of livelihoods, cancers, mental health, domestic abuse, loneliness, isolation - (not to mention the slaughter of the domestic economy) is now worse than the disease.

Unfortunately, we for 4 months too long we have outsourced the running of our country to a group of over-paid ivory tower academics who cant see beyond the single issue of Covid.

Just maybe we will see some leadership from the government after today...

Much of the population are simply existing with covid-19 and related restrictions atm and it's only going to get worse with every passing day. A total lockdown in the spring did little apart from kicking the can a bit further down the road so I struggle to see what difference another attempt will make. There's no happy solution to this problem but I do believe we could quickly make a bad situation worse. People have and continue to die in this country each day from avoidable causes listed above. There was never much emphasis placed on them but for whatever reason Covid related deaths are regarded as unacceptable.

I believe that out way of life has become unsustainable and this is nature's way of trying to return balance to the equation. We'll be living with the associated fallout from covid-19 for year's to come. However we would be better served imo to try and maintain a viable economy and way of life for the majority rather than attempt to delay the inescapable for a select few.

Advertisement