Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Tony and co will have a nice bit of explaining to do this evening so, its farcical millions been spent on gardai overtime for checkpoints but their dosent seem to be the money their to hire extra staff to act as rapid response teams when situations arise like the above....
    The knives are out for the hse and co this time around and the mass deaths and inaction last time around in nursing homes by the hse will be magnified x 1000 in the coming months

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

I think it's important to not have unrealistic expectations though. Trump keeps touting that "it'll be here real soon" which is a lie of course, but even if it would be available, it will take a long time before it's widely available. I watched that new doc "Totally under control" last night. You would forget how horribly inadequate the initial response from the USA was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

whelan2 wrote: »
    Loads of places seem to be staying open. It's either a lockdown or it's not.

Another big boom for the supermarkets selling essential and non essential goods in the same building while local businesses who deal in non essential goods have to close their doors. Where's the fairness in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

NcdJd wrote: »
    Another big boom for the supermarkets selling essential and non essential goods in the same building while local businesses who deal in non essential goods have to close their doors. Where's the fairness in that.

Fair doesn’t really come into it though.

We have to be big boys and girls, less shops = less people doing unnecessary browsing and shopping = less opportunity for virus to spread.

Yea there are shops that are running on the edge but they are not the majority and the government seem to have allowed more stay open.

If anything the lockdown disproportionately affects women with hairdressers and beauty salons closed where most lads can manage with a buzz cut at home and few bother with a colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

It's not fair at all, the whole thing is a joke now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Was in local town this morning and this is nothing like the "lockdown" earlier in the year.
    No Garda to be seen,town as busy as any other day,lots of people out and about .
    Last time it was a ghost town for the first few days with queues outside supermarkets etc.
    Everywhere seems to be open apart from barbers,hairdressers and a few others.

Talking to people ,and maybe this is a reflection on the people I know,nobody seems very enarmoured of this level 5 stuff.
    Bit less of the "we are all in this together" and a bit more of "this or that restriction is stupid,illogical etc"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭selectamatic

No wonder there's been no evidence of transmission in schools so

To a point yes.

There's been some undeniable clusters in schools particularly a few primary schools however at secondary it very much appears to be that any and all cases are chalked up to community transmission or close contact outside the school setting which has resulted in very little subsequent testing trying to find any transmission in the school.

We simply don't appear to have the tracing and testing capacity to stay ahead of the curve. Whether this can be rectified remains to be seen.

_Brian wrote: »
    Fair doesn’t really come into it though.

We have to be big boys and girls, less shops = less people doing unnecessary browsing and shopping = less opportunity for virus to spread.

Yea there are shops that are running on the edge but they are not the majority and the government seem to have allowed more stay open.

If anything the lockdown disproportionately affects women with hairdressers and beauty salons closed where most lads can manage with a buzz cut at home and few bother with a colour.

My point is why should small retailers have to shut down whilst supermarkets are open due to being classed as essential yet the are also selling non essential goods. Surely they should be told to cordon off or take the non essential goods away rather than making more profits at the expense of small retailers who now have their Christmas stock in or due in.

Link here to what I'm talking about.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1022/1173247-retail-excellence-appeals-to-retailers/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Bad outbreak in a nursing home in the west

All but two in the nursing home tested positive.

The only way they found out was one resident was admitted to hospital, tested and tested positive and the staff and residents were then tested.
    Only for that resident was admitted to hospital they'd be none the wiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

The only way they found out was one resident was admitted to hospital, tested and tested positive and the staff and residents were then tested.

Would be very interesting to know if that occurred where there was a previous outbreak in spring

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

No cases in spring in that home.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Would be very interesting to know if that occurred where there was a previous outbreak in spring

They probably mightnt know that themselves and it definitely wouldn't be made public.

Condolences to the deceased family and friends but it makes a mockery of just taking temperatures and assuming people haven't the virus because of this or no symptoms.

Unfortunately there is one resident after passing away and another very sick so it was going to be discovered anyway. I haven't heard when they had their last routine tests.

Trouble on the streets in Dublin tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was similar in a nursing home in Dundalk in the spring. There was a report done on it and the families were on local radio about it last week

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

I can't make sense of this...

All must have been asymptomatic...or certainly not noticed..

These are the most vulnerable....how can they not have been showing symptoms? Was the virus affecting them at all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Trouble on the streets in Dublin tonight.

What happened?

What happened?

Another anti lockdown protest :rolleyes:

And two more admitted today.

All staff are tested weekly and aren't allowed go to work unless they have a clear test within the last week. All are requested to minimise social contacts and to not show for work if they have any symptoms.

A close family member works in a care home and we haven't seem them in months now as they take the situation seriously and don't have any contact outside the family unless necessary.

Some staff members, however, wouldn't be as diligent.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

• Advertisement

Another anti lockdown protest :rolleyes:

There's a video in the Gemma O'Doherty thread in the IMHO forum. Guards look to be on top of the situation this time taking no sh1t from them.

:D:D:D:D:D

That guy is gas, 'the smell of revolution':D:D:D

Smell of the liffey more like.

There's a video in the Gemma O'Doherty thread in the IMHO forum. Guards look to be on top of the situation this time taking no sh1t from them.

Well that's this evening gone astray:(

Click into the pics below to see the progression of figures for your local area.
    https://twitter.com/illustratethis/status/1319340507865153537?s=19

Big questions of that nursing home in Galway.

Private ran massively profitable business. Have they been following best practices or what went wrong.

Again, I can’t understand why everyone online is blaming the hse over this. Private business responsible for their own staff and procedures.

If it wasn’t for the resident being found positive on admission to hospital when would it have been found out.

Went to young lads training tonight. I am covid officer, I did my job and went back and sat in the car. Parents standing talking as if there was no level 5 lockdown. No masks. People just dont seem to get the lockdown this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nursing home with 28 residents aren't hugely profitable, a bit off topic sorry.
    Any NH has to be staffed by a registered nurse 24/7. Sadly its a bad outbreak.

Think the full lockdown will take a few days, possibly fully bed in by early next week.

Went to young lads training tonight. I am covid officer, I did my job and went back and sat in the car. Parents standing talking as if there was no level 5 lockdown. No masks. People just dont seem to get the lockdown this time.

That’s the sort of carelessness that causes trouble.

You’d think hey would be happy the kids are fetting our to their sport that they wouldn’t risk spoiling it.

Got message this evening that riding lessons are to go ahead for youngest. She’s delighted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

Water John wrote: »
    Nursing home with 28 residents aren't hugely profitable, a bit off topic sorry.
    Any NH has to be staffed by a registered nurse 24/7. Sadly its a bad outbreak.

Think the full lockdown will take a few days, possibly fully bed in by early next week.

Think the opposite actually.People seem less enthused by the whole idea this time.
    Anything like this usually gets a good buy in at the beginning and adherence falls off over time.This lockdown has started off half heartedly and hard to see it gaining any momentum.

The reason ? Golfgate,supreme court judge,nursing homes,HSE inaction,tracing issue,mixed messages from MM down,wet weather,8 months in and how many people you know actually ill with it,attention span ??Take your pick.
    Suppose different people have different issues.

One thing I do notice is that in March nobody in the media was questioning any of the measures or the overall approach.At this stage that seems to have changed.

Advertisement