Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

Think the opposite actually.People seem less enthused by the whole idea this time.
    Anything like this usually gets a good buy in at the beginning and adherence falls off over time.This lockdown has started off half heartedly and hard to see it gaining any momentum.

The reason ? Golfgate,supreme court judge,nursing homes,HSE inaction,tracing issue,mixed messages from MM down,wet weather,8 months in and how many people you know actually ill with it,attention span ??Take your pick.
    Suppose different people have different issues.

One thing I do notice is that in March nobody in the media was questioning any of the measures or the overall approach.At this stage that seems to have changed.

A lot more people have come to realise the reality of what the virus is. We know a lot more now than back in the Spring.
    They can see the train wreck happening before our eyes, caused by a government and Nphet, that refuse to see the science and data.
    Lock downs don't work.
    It's easy to be a lock down merchant when your livelihood hasn't been taken away.
    People are starting to question the propaganda being spouted daily by mainstream media.
    Good people and doctors have called the hysteria and non scientific approach out for what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

_Brian wrote: »
    That’s the sort of carelessness that causes trouble.

You’d think hey would be happy the kids are fetting our to their sport that they wouldn’t risk spoiling it.

Got message this evening that riding lessons are to go ahead for youngest. She’s delighted.

How are the organisers of the riding lessons treating the 5km limit?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

whelan2 wrote: »
    Went to young lads training tonight. I am covid officer, I did my job and went back and sat in the car. Parents standing talking as if there was no level 5 lockdown. No masks. People just dont seem to get the lockdown this time.

Agree with that.Am in the well remunerated position of Covid Compliance Officer for our club and was at one underage training tonight.
    Coach's tried to follow FAI guidelines but rather difficult to do anything meaningful and follow the rules to the letter of the law.
    Young lads didn't exactly observe "social distancing" but then again that would be like herding mice.

A lot more people have come to realise the reality of what the virus is. We know a lot more now than back in the Spring.
    They can see the train wreck happening before our eyes, caused by a government and Nphet, that refuse to see the science and data.
    Lock downs don't work.
    It's easy to be a lock down merchant when your livelihood hasn't been taken away.
    People are starting to question the propaganda being spouted daily by mainstream media.
    Good people and doctors have called the hysteria and non scientific approach out for what it is.

Thats the thing.Like I said previously this level 5 or the previous one has a minimal effect on me but still think its a waste of time.
    Neither myself or any of my siblings have seen any economic impact from it but still none in favour of it.
    I wonder if all this had happened 10/20 years ago would it have been different?

Although that said remember an elderly neighbour telling me about foot and mouth in, I think,the 1940's and the way people waited until the Guard or LDF man had gone down the road before moving cattle .Think it was the river at home divided an area/townland and moving cattle across it to an out farm was strictly forbidden.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

alps wrote: »

Good question, I'd say most are ignoring it

• Advertisement

Maybe I am wrong but have people taken up the 5km thing totally wrong?

Though it was something to do with exercise ie keep people from congregating at beaches or woodland parks(not much chance of beach weather in a normal Irish November thanks to Greta) and that you could travel as far as necessary for anything else?

Regards soccer training the 5km limit doesn't apply to kids or parents.If it did our club might see 4/5 per team at times.

As an aside spent a little time reading the covid forum on here and never knew that many ????????????? people existed in the world.
    Hard to describe but I wonder how some people even manage to dress themselves in the morning.Whatever happened to common sense.
    Actually wonder how many are serious cause posters asking questions about whether they can collect a bike from a shop when its 8km away or if they are allowed to drop the kids into the granny for a few hours etc etc.
    Are we reduced to this level of ?I don't know what you would call it ?Helplessness,hard of thinking,inability to make even the slightest move without asking someone else.
    Are these actual adults with jobs ,kids ,mortgages and how do they manage to survive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Though it was something to do with exercise ie keep people from congregating at beaches or woodland parks(not much chance of beach weather in a normal Irish November thanks to Greta) and that you could travel as far as necessary for anything else?

Regards soccer training the 5km limit doesn't apply to kids or parents.If it did our club might see 4/5 per team at times.

As an aside spent a little time reading the covid forum on here and never knew that many ????????????? people existed in the world.
    Hard to describe but I wonder how some people even manage to dress themselves in the morning.Whatever happened to common sense.
    Actually wonder how many are serious cause posters asking questions about whether they can collect a bike from a shop when its 8km away or if they are allowed to drop the kids into the granny for a few hours etc etc.
    Are we reduced to this level of ?I don't know what you would call it ?Helplessness,hard of thinking,inability to make even the slightest move without asking someone else.
    Are these actual adults with jobs ,kids ,mortgages and how do they manage to survive

There is a large cohort of Irish people who are totally lost if they are not told exactly what to do by a higher authority.
    As you say youd wonder how they manage to hold down a job etc. Maybe they are all civil servants?
    Is it a remnant of our colonial past or what?
    Although it seems to be getting worse with the social media age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

God be with the days of a bit of anarchy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

You deciding on what yo do or what way to "interpret" the guidelines is a completely different thing to an organisation having to "interpret" that same guideline.

I'm involved in training kids in something like what's mentioned above.

We have to submit our interpretation and application of the guidelines at each change of level, to a governing body, and I can tell you the interpretation from the governing body is that for anyone other than those qualifying under elite athletes...its 5KM...

Our insurance company has stipulated that we're covered as normal through this difficulty as long as we operate completely within any government guidelines in place at that time....that concentrates the mind..

You deciding on what yo do or what way to "interpret" the guidelines is a completely different thing to an organisation having to "interpret" that same guideline.

I'm involved in training kids in something like what's mentioned above.

We have to submit our interpretation and application of the guidelines at each change of level, to a governing body, and I can tell you the interpretation from the governing body is that for anyone other than those qualifying under elite athletes...its 5KM...

Our insurance company has stipulated that we're covered as normal through this difficulty as long as we operate completely within any government guidelines in place at that time....that concentrates the mind..

Don't really follow what you are trying to say but

Anything I have read (plus guidelines from governing body)state that the 5km limit as regards to exercise does not apply to the kids(or the parents bringing them) going to soccer training.

Probably governing body dependent as regards their take on things.

Anyways those things are gospel for a week or two, then observed in spirit and usually end up being ignored.
    Probably not ideal but thats what happens in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

wrangler wrote: »
    Good question, I'd say most are ignoring it
    Equestrian centers/riding schools are allowed to operate and provide lessons/training to school going children. Adult training/classes are not permitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I dont understand how the kids soccer or gaa training can go ahead but outdoor tennis lessons can't? Daughter plays on the senior soccer team and they cant train. 75% of the team are still in school

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The communication from AIRE the overall representation body say the 5km limit is exempt for kids attending lessons.

I dont understand how the kids soccer or gaa training can go ahead but outdoor tennis lessons can't? Daughter plays on the senior soccer team and they cant train. 75% of the team are still in school

Message from riding school is the same. Only kids are to attend during the L5, all adult lessons and places on Hack are cancelled.

I don,t understand how the kids soccer or gaa training can go ahead but outdoor tennis lessons can't? Daughter plays on the senior soccer team and they cant train. 75% of the team are still in school

They have to draw the line somewhere, there really is very little restriction, there's even too much unnecessary movement allowed as it is, as you say is it a lockdown or is it not . Motorway and minor road here beside me is seeing thee same amount of traffic
    I can't see much improvement happening before Christmas with all that is allowed, not that the loss of Christmas is serious in the whole scheme of things

Clusters of covid being driven by adult behaviour not kids.

Here in Cavan it will level out well now that GAA has spun itself out.

I’m glad the kids aren’t as impacted as the last time. Pity this time the lake is too cold to swim in, eldest only swims and is missing it desperately. She had been given elite athlete dispensation from swim ireland to attend Ulster training sessions but pools are closed again, we only got to one session.

She’s in her leaving cert year so keeping up activity is important.

Clusters of covid being driven by adult behaviour not kids.

Here in Cavan it will level out well now that GAA has spun itself out.

I’m glad the kids aren’t as impacted as the last time. Pity this time the lake is too cold to swim in, eldest only swims and is missing it desperately. She had been given elite athlete dispensation from swim ireland to attend Ulster training sessions but pools are closed again, we only got to one session.

She’s in her leaving cert year so keeping up activity is important.

A couple years restrictions now is a small price in the whole scheme of things,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,975 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

wrangler wrote: »
    They have to draw the line somewhere, there really is very little restriction, there's even too much unnecessary movement allowed as it is, as you say is it a lockdown or is it not . Motorway and minor road here beside me is seeing thee same amount of traffic
    I can't see much improvement happening before Christmas with all that is allowed, not that the loss of Christmas is serious in the whole scheme of things

This seems to be the lockdown phase with the capacity to be most damaging to the economy for least reduction in cases. It's not sustainable.

A shorter real lockdown or a proper run of Level 3 with actual enforcement this time would seem to be more tolerable \ sustainable.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

New attachment method found which could explain why SARS-CoV 2 is more infectious than its predecessor.

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-second-key-used-by-sars-cov-2-to-enter-cells-could-explain-why-it-s-so-infectious

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

odyssey06 wrote: »
    This seems to be the lockdown phase with the capacity to be most damaging to the economy for least reduction in cases. It's not sustainable.

A shorter real lockdown or a proper run of Level 3 with actual enforcement this time would seem to be more tolerable \ sustainable.

Its all BS.
    Just step back and look at the carry on.
    • People walking about with face shields. - not worth a dam
    • Perspex Screens at shop tills. : - a joke
    • Closing small shops, pubs, cafes etc yet the likes of Tesco and lidl have shopping aisles jammed less than 2m apart filled with Alcohol, Electrical items etc : A farce and a slap in the face to small Business
    • HSE staff such as senior Dentists asked to do Covid testing. Ok this is within reason but what's not within reason is to continue paying them surgeons wages while doing the work of a lab tech. Yet its ok to tell Joe bloggs he can't work and must live off 350 per week and less in cases.
    • Garda blocking traffic to abuse peoples freedom of movement. As if anyone who is not going to work etc is going to own up to them assh0l3s
    • None stop coverage by RTE : - there's no way in hell I'm paying my TV licence again.

Its all BS.
    Just step back and look at the carry on.
    • Perspex Screens at shop tills. : - a joke
    • Closing small shops, pubs, cafes etc yet the likes of Tesco and lidl have shopping aisles jammed less than 2m apart filled with Alcohol, Electrical items etc : A farce and a slap in the face to small Business
    • HSE staff such as senior Dentists asked to do Covid testing. Ok this is within reason but what's not within reason is to continue paying them surgeons wages while doing the work of a lab tech. Yet its ok to tell Joe bloggs he can't work and must live off 350 per week and less in cases.
    • Garda blocking traffic to abuse peoples freedom of movement. As if anyone who is not going to work etc is going to own up to them assh0l3s
    • None stop coverage by RTE : - there's no way in hell I'm paying my TV licence again.

It’s your post that’s full of BS

Why don’t you go off and light another candle in fromt of that photo of gemma you have on the alter.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note Let's try be civil everyone, keep it on topic please.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Why don’t you go off and light another candle in fromt of that photo of gemma you have on the alter.

In fairness the points he posted I would agree with if not perhaps the tone but if the best argument against is to infer someone is some sort of a follower of a clearly less than balanced individual well?

The "restrictions" are ill thought out and seem to be the only answer in Irelands case. Is that the best response all the experts could come up with since March ?
    Its a no lose for MM and nphet as if numbers fall then they were right to take that action and if not then its the general populations fault.

The buy in from both the public and business doesn't seem to be there this time I think.
    Then again most of it passed me by in the Spring and most likely it will do so again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

When you start separating yourself and others into being aligned with groups, your capacity to come to a full understanding of the subject becomes very limited as you will suffer from some element of groupthink no matter what you do.
    The amount of people who would question the whole approach to covid who would also listen to the likes of what Gemma o Doherty would say is small.
    It's perfectly possible to think she's a clown but also think that people willingly accepting restrictions without really questioning things are also clowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

When you start separating yourself and others into being aligned with groups, your capacity to come to a full understanding of the subject becomes very limited as you will suffer from some element of groupthink no matter what you do.
    The amount of people who would question the whole approach to covid who would also listen to the likes of what Gemma o Doherty would say is small.
    It's perfectly possible to think she's a clown but also think that people willingly accepting restrictions without really questioning things are also clowns.

The government is being very proactive in keeping the public sector onside it's very much a divide and conquer approach,by right in the budget gone by their should of been 10% minimun payouts across the board for any higher earners over say 50k in the public sector, it's only logical but this would of meant instead of having 20-30% of households questioning the covid lockdown approach you would of had well over 50% losing their minds coupled with your ps trade unions having temper tantrums threatening to shut down schools/hospitals etc

I’m very happy with separating myself from Gemma, covid denying types and those hammering down on front lines staff and guards.

I’m happy to question the actions of the government and I’ve been critical of actions. But I support what they are doing and what the guards are doing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

I’m very happy with separating myself from Gemma, covid denying types and those hammering down on front lines staff and guards.

I’m happy to question the actions of the government and I’ve been critical of actions. But I support what they are doing and what the guards are doing.

There's a difference between asking a few questions and really questioning things. You are the demographic that is least affected by all the restrictions financially and socially. There hasn't been much impetus for you to really dig into whether or not we are on the right path.
    If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

Lots of alternative media sources out there on you tube etc. Not everyone is some right wing looney.
    Debate being stifled everyday on mainstream media, because people won't follow the narrative on the propaganda machine.

Having said that, I really enjoyed Prime Time on Thursday night I think it was.
    Dr. Jon Lee and Dan O'brien telling it like it is.
    Prof. Tomás Ryan and his zero Covid strategy being shown for the pie in the sky it is.

For anyone not familiar with his work, it's worth checking out Ivor Cummins. He deals in scientific data. Agree or disagree with him, he's worth listening to. He has done great work previously on food and diet.Really worth a listen to.

Michael McNamara TD doing great work in the Dáil. Has in my opinion, done excellent work as the chair of the Dáil committee looking at Covid 19.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

idk who gemma is, I've stopped watching RTE
    Tell me what part of my post is BS?
      Perspex Screens at shop tills. : - a joke

What studies are done to prove this works? It doesn't you'd have to do fluid flow analysis for every single permutation of a till.
      I am right about this, If the Government were serious than they'd restrict the big supermarkets from over crowding the shopping Aisles.
      Oh best not confront the hard working public service.
      This is correct not BS
      I'll even go further and say it's very one sided.

So please enlighten me as to why the post is BS??

Advertisement