Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

idk who gemma is, I've stopped watching RTE
    Tell me what part of my post is BS?
    • People walking about with face shields. - not worth a dam
      Perspex Screens at shop tills. : - a joke

What studies are done to prove this works? It doesn't you'd have to do fluid flow analysis for every single permutation of a till.
    • Closing small shops, pubs, cafes etc yet the likes of Tesco and lidl have shopping aisles jammed less than 2m apart filled with Alcohol, Electrical items etc : A farce and a slap in the face to small Business
      I am right about this, If the Government were serious than they'd restrict the big supermarkets from over crowding the shopping Aisles.
    • HSE staff such as senior Dentists asked to do Covid testing. Ok this is within reason but what's not within reason is to continue paying them surgeons wages while doing the work of a lab tech. Yet its ok to tell Joe bloggs he can't work and must live off 350 per week and less in cases.
      Oh best not confront the hard working public service.
    • Garda blocking traffic to abuse peoples freedom of movement. As if anyone who is not going to work etc is going to own up to them assh0l3s
      This is correct not BS
    • None stop coverage by RTE : - there's no way in hell I'm paying my TV licence again.
      I'll even go further and say it's very one sided.

So please enlighten me as to why the post is BS??

Yea, can't see how a perspex screen at a till would stop droplets from someone coughing or sneezing as droplets are known to pass through solid objects when someone sneezes! If only there was some kind of test to see if perspex can actually stop a high velocity droplet.

I've never herd of someone being paid less in any job for temporarily doing work normally considered below their station.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

wrangler wrote: »
    No point in electing a government if you're not going to abide by their decisions.
    The secret is in the name 'government'

the group of people with the authority to govern a country or state

Nobody elected anyone on the basis that they would create nphet and rely almost entirely on their advice

• Registered Users Posts: 29,518 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Nobody elected anyone on the basis that they would create nphet and rely almost entirely on their advice

In fairness we had no idea of this ****storm when we were electing anyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Just did a bit of cleaning. For the record, a thread ban means no more posting on this thread.

Fire away again, folks.

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

What did you elect them for if not take decisions like that, they have to protect the hospitals from too much pressure, patients were queueing outside Altnagelvin Hospital in the rain today, Is that what you want.
    With the escalation in numbers we've been experiencing, I don't think they're doing enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I was stopped twice at the same Garda check today and got no abuse.

BTW no one is advocating zero Covid policy. If we had all had worked with Level 2/3, we wouldn't have Level 5 now, it's our choice.

As per Wrangler, two hospitals in Cork now coming under pressure with numbers.

What did you elect them for if not take decisions like that, they have to protect the hospitals from too much pressure, patients were queueing outside Altnagelvin Hospital in the rain today, Is that what you want.
    With the escalation in numbers we've been experiencing, I don't think they're doing enough.

They were elected to lead and make decisions not to outsource that to a group with no experience of the real world.

Hospitals are always running at over 100% capacity in the winter. Why has getting anywhere near 100% become such a bad thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

is that because they are busy or that they are not allowing people to wait inside as per normal?
    Brought a neighbour to a local clinic few times over the last couple of months and no one allowed into the waiting room.Everyone has to wait outside in the rain or sit in the car until the nurse is ready to see them.This is a place almost exclusively attended by the elderly and they are less than impressed.

They were elected to lead and make decisions not to outsource that to a group with no experience of the real world.

Hospitals are always running at over 100% capacity in the winter. Why has getting anywhere near 100% become such a bad thing

This pandemic is capable of getting them to 200% capacity if that's what you want, There's plenty of staff missing in hospitals, plenty of procedures put back.
    In spite of the advice I say they're not doing enough, I had a procedure put back so that probably has me biased.

is that because they are busy or that they are not allowing people to wait inside as per normal?
    Brought a neighbour to a local clinic few times over the last couple of months and no one allowed into the waiting room.Everyone has to wait outside in the rain or sit in the car until the nurse is ready to see them.This is a place almost exclusively attended by the elderly and they are less than impressed.

There's more Covid cases in ICU in the north now than the south, I know I'd say that the medics are well paid for doing it but there's no point in trying to kill them with carelessness and thoughtlessness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

greysides wrote: »
    New attachment method found which could explain why SARS-CoV 2 is more infectious than its predecessor.

https://www.sciencealert.com/a-second-key-used-by-sars-cov-2-to-enter-cells-could-explain-why-it-s-so-infectious

Is Losartan for hypertension of any significance here :

"Earlier this year it was discovered that a receptor called angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) helps the coronavirus bind to the surface of cells, while an enzyme called Type II transmembrane serine protease (TMPRSS2) is crucial for it gaining entry."

Lisinopril and losartan basically do the same thing — but in different ways. Lisinopril belongs to the classification of drugs called ACE (angiotensin-converting enzyme) inhibitors, while losartan is in the ARB (angiotensin II receptor-blocker) class.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The effectiveness of the first vaccine should be known by November.
    https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1320374292014575616?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

Numbers quite high again this evening after dipping for the previous two days, this really is the unknown, stay safe everyone.

Compared to this day last week it's a good improvement, down about 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Water John wrote: »
    Compared to this day last week it's a good improvement, down about 20%.
    Numbers and stats no stats for the people suffering at home in abusive relationships men and women with no place to go, no place to release a bit of stress or meet a few lads for a pint and a bit of a chat, the ladies get there hair done a small thing but makes them happy, drinking at home is alright in the summer you can sit out and enjoy a nice evening but not great now as we come in to winter, this lock down is going to kill more people than the virus. People are going to drink themselves to death.

The effectiveness of the first vaccine should be known by November.
    https://twitter.com/FergalBowers/status/1320374292014575616?s=19

If it wasn't an election year..................

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

kerryjack wrote: »
    Numbers and stats no stats for the people suffering at home in abusive relationships men and women with no place to go, no place to release a bit of stress or meet a few lads for a pint and a bit of a chat, the ladies get there hair done a small thing but makes them happy, drinking at home is alright in the summer you can sit out and enjoy a nice evening but not great now as we come in to winter, this lock down is going to kill more people than the virus. People are going to drink themselves to death.

Well, the flip side to this is no young people going out binge drinking and possibly doing themselves harm - either short or long term...

I'm sorry that hairdressers have been shut. I wish that could be avoided, as it isn't the problem and they have operated to a very high standard from what I hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Well, the flip side to this is no young people going out binge drinking and possibly doing themselves harm - either short or long term...

There's more night time drinking or whatever parties going on in private houses now than there ever was.
    The roads only get busy here when it gets dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Ah shur,when you're not supposed to be at something,that's when you want and maybe will be at it.

• Advertisement

There's more night time drinking or whatever parties going on in private houses now than there ever was.

Yes I'm noticing that too especially this weekend, I'm on a rural road here but it's fairly close to a road that links to the motorway, traffic the same as it was the last few weeks, no change with level 5 just as busy as ever, I don't know lads, I can't see this working, more extreme measures will have to implemented I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Maybe so, I’m not in the right age group to be in the know anymore :)

I don’t think opening the pubs is the answer to either issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Maybe so, I’m not in the right age group to be in the know anymore :)

I don’t think opening the pubs is the answer to either issue...

I'm on a good road. :p

Tonight there the road was busy from 7 on. It's just gone quiet now near 12.

It was busier today and this evening than a normal bank holiday Monday.
    Some weird funky stuff going on anyway in people's homes.
    I'm half expecting the motorhomes and caravans back on this road like the first lockdown.

I'm half expecting the motorhomes and caravans back on this road like the first lockdown.

Oh christ don't get me started on them, they seem to have a law of their own just because they're driving a camper van. I'm in what would be a tourist area here and we're inundated with them.

GoneHome wrote: »
    Yes I'm noticing that too especially this weekend, I'm on a rural road here but it's fairly close to a road that links to the motorway, traffic the same as it was the last few weeks, no change with level 5 just as busy as ever, I don't know lads, I can't see this working, more extreme measures will have to implemented I reckon.

Well it does look like level 3 had things levelled off fairly well but instead we're getting told how good things are looking in level 5 less than a week in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

What caused a good few cases around here was collages opening for a few weeks, young Johnny going up, no classes a few euro in his pocket supermarkets full to the brim with drink and they partied like it was 1999. Than collage was called off all came home to mommy and spread it at home. Problem is mommy could be working in local nursing home. Johnny should have been welcomed home and made stay in his room for 2 weeks and left him cool off a bit.

Yeah Sam, think Level 3 would have done the trick, but Govn't then lost its nerve.
    That will cause the yoyo effect rather than a levelling.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

Water John wrote: »
    Yeah Sam, think Level 3 would have done the trick, but Govn't then lost its nerve.
    That will cause the yoyo effect rather than a levelling.

Bingo.....bottled...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,655 ✭✭✭Bleating Lamb

kerryjack wrote: »
    What caused a good few cases around here was collages opening for a few weeks, young Johnny going up, no classes a few euro in his pocket supermarkets full to the brim with drink and they partied like it was 1999. Than collage was called off all came home to mommy and spread it at home. Problem is mommy could be working in local nursing home. Johnny should have been welcomed home and made stay in his room for 2 weeks and left him cool off a bit.

Don’t see why they would have but Off Licence owners must have some say with powers that be ....there is no way they should be let operate away when pubs are closed.....saw 3 lads of College going age buying 24 cans each the other day.....doubt they were buying them to bring home to 3 different homes to drink with Mum and Dad.

If left open there should be a limit imposed during Level 3 up that no one individual can buy more than say 12 cans or 3 bottles of wine at a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Don’t see why they would have but Off Licence owners must have some say with powers that be ....there is no way they should be let operate away when pubs are closed.....saw 3 lads of College going age buying 24 cans each the other day.....doubt they were buying them to bring home to 3 different homes to drink with Mum and Dad.

If left open there should be a limit imposed during Level 3 up that no one individual can buy more than say 12 cans or 3 bottles of wine at a time.

Would it really help though. House parties just become bring your own booze events instead.

Advertisement