Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Is there anything to suggest Covid affects men more than women?

(We might get more sympathy).

Man Covid dosen't have quite the same ring to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If you are Type O blood group you're less liable to Covid infection.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    If you are Type O blood group you're less liable to Covid infection.

And a woman.

That aspect I won't change, even though one can nowadays.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

It'll be the first Christmas without people attending mass and relations flying home from abroad.

I doubt even a Christmas miracle will make the Government let that happen.
    If they did three quarters of the population would welcome it but three quarters of the population would publicly condemn it.

In 1967 there was a major foot and mouth outbreak in Britain and other parts of Europe. The government asked Irish people not to come home for Christmas, they managed to keep the outbreak out of this country.

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »
    In 1967 there was a major foot and mouth outbreak in Britain and other parts of Europe. The government asked Irish people not to come home for Christmas, they managed to keep the outbreak out of this country.

The trouble is the foot and mouth is already here this time.

I wonder will the Government recommend everyone keep their Vitamin D levels up?

Edit: Majority of bad cases in hospitals seem to be low in Vitamin D. With men more affected than women.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The trouble is the foot and mouth is already here this time.

I wonder will the Government recommend everyone keep their Vitamin D levels up?

Edit: Majority of bad cases in hospitals seem to be low in Vitamin D. With men more affected than women.

Ben called out as a thing right from the beginning.

Interesting it’s possibly the reason black peoples seem to fair poorly as they produce lower levels of vitd from sunshine. .

_Brian wrote: »
    Ben called out as a thing right from the beginning.

Interesting it’s possibly the reason black peoples seem to fair poorly as they produce lower levels of vitd from sunshine. .

I was thinking that just as i was posting it.

And for anyone that doesn't know.
    White skin evolved because of the human need for Vitamin D from the Sun.
    We were originally black and had all the sunshine we needed in Africa.
    But when we migrated north there wasn't as much Sun so the skin evolved to become paler so it could absorb as much vitamin D as possible from the weaker sun.

It could also tie in with people in care homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

Water John wrote: »
    That aspect I won't change, even though one can nowadays.

It has been 100% either men or women have got it so far.....nothing in between..

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

But when we migrated north there wasn't as much Sun so the skin evolved to become paler so it could absorb as much vitamin D as possible from the weaker sun.

The majority of Irish people are deficient in VitD, herself has had us all here in supplements for it for years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

It would be very interesting to see a trial with or without vitamin d and the comparison to vaccine trial.
    Could be either vitamin d plays a very important role or is more correlated with those in better general health or a mixture of the two

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

_Brian wrote: »
    The majority of Irish people are deficient in VitD, herself has had us all here in supplements for it for years.

GP has me on Vit D for the last 12 mths based on blood tests, obviously I wasn't deficient up to then.
    I'd question giving any supplements without blood tests

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The link in the tweet below goes into an article with very good explanations of transmission and how we can minimise infections.
    https://twitter.com/emmetoliver/status/1321720545822543873?s=19

tanko wrote: »

And all done because of the economic tragedy that would ensue...

The economic devastation from COVID has to be multiples of what foot and mouth could ever do..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

alps wrote: »
    And all done because of the economic tragedy that would ensue...

The economic devastation from COVID has to be multiples of what foot and mouth could ever do..

The implications are massive, woman on the radio talking about the shortage of Oxygen, which not only affects Covid patients but also all surgical procedures needing oxygen....... not a good time to be sick

The link in the tweet below goes into an article with very good explanations of transmission and how we can minimise infections.
    https://twitter.com/emmetoliver/status/1321720545822543873?s=19

Great piece

Really good and very understandable. Remember that choir early on and how many got infected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sweden at a critical juncture as Anders Tegnell warns that pursuing herd immunity is futile.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sweden-at-critical-juncture-as-infection-rates-soar-tqslc8jsh

Looks like a strain of Covid that has spread across Europe and UK originated or mutated with farm workers in Spain.

https://twitter.com/stickfarmeruk/status/1322100393007075329?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Looks like a strain of Covid that has spread across Europe and UK originated or mutated with farm workers in Spain.

https://twitter.com/stickfarmeruk/status/1322100393007075329?s=20

They are referring to it as the 'Spanish ... Strain"

Someone tweeted in reply
    For real, you’re calling this variant the “Spanish... strain” after months of claiming the original virus should not be referred to as Chinese?!!

Its true though. Any criticism of China these days and some do a backflip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭endainoz

gozunda wrote: »
    They are referring to it as the 'Spanish ... Strain"

Someone tweeted in reply

Its true though. Any criticism of China these days and some do a backflip.

I'd say that's more just to differentiate it from the regular strain.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

I think there is a lot of truth in what the Doc says.

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1031/1175042-coronavirus-ireland/

Dare I say we have some good news. Ireland is one of only four EU countries where our 7 day rate is going down. It's a good sign whatever way you look at it. There were many questions from different areas when the country introduced restrictions weeks before the rest of the EU was even considering it. This is proof that, thankfully we were right. Hopefully cases will keep dropping into next week and beyond.

endainoz wrote: »
    https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/1031/1175042-coronavirus-ireland/

Dare I say we have some good news. Ireland is one of only four EU countries where our 7 day rate is going down. It's a good sign whatever way you look at it. There were many questions from different areas when the country introduced restrictions weeks before the rest of the EU was even considering it. This is proof that, thankfully we were right. Hopefully cases will keep dropping into next week and beyond.
    What ever happened to living with covid though. There's a big danger of getting caught in the situation we were in last summer of being overcautious loosening restrictions.

What ever happened to living with covid though. There's a big danger of getting caught in the situation we were in last summer of being overcautious loosening restrictions.

You mean last summer when the daily cases were in single figures? It's clear that you live with it to a certain point. What happened was that it didn't go down or even stabilize, it kept rising.

Now it's going the other way: due to restrictions. This is good news, and honestly I'm happy that we did the right thing and the right time. Ireland should be seen as an example for the rest of Europe, but there's a long way to go yet of course.

You mean last summer when the daily cases were in single figures? It's clear that you live with it to a certain point. What happened was that it didn't go down or even stabilize, it kept rising.

Now it's going the other way: due to restrictions. This is good news, and honestly I'm happy that we did the right thing and the right time. Ireland should be seen as an example for the rest of Europe, but there's a long way to go yet of course.

Things stabilized for now but how things will pan out in the future remains to be seen.
    What if the numbers don't go low enough? We could be locked down until May as nphets focus seems to have changed to getting the numbers as low as possible once again instead of tolerating a certain amount

I think Dr. Nolan said yesterday that Level 3 holds figures but does not suppress the number. That I always thought was correct. However don't think that works at extremely low rates as we had in the summer for the simple reason is that people won't stick to Level 3 only if there is a significant number of infections.
    So, should we now suppress it to say 1/200 per day, then go to Level 3 and keep an equilibrium and not go into a see saw again?
    Level 3 enforced strictly BTW.

Things stabilized for now but how things will pan out in the future remains to be seen.
    What if the numbers don't go low enough? We could be locked down until May as nphets focus seems to have changed to getting the numbers as low as possible once again instead of tolerating a certain amount

You ask the questions we don't have answers to. 1000+ cases a day can clearly not be tolerated. What can be tolerated? 50 - 100 cases a day? Who knows. The idea of being locked down until may is a bit sensationalist to be fair, but we don't know. It might be a little wasteful to continue to speculate.

What we do have is current data, and that is positive, let's hope it continues.

• Advertisement

You ask the questions we don't have answers to. 1000+ cases a day can clearly not be tolerated. What can be tolerated? 50 - 100 cases a day? Who knows. The idea of being locked down until may is a bit sensationalist to be fair, but we don't know. It might be a little wasteful to continue to speculate.

What we do have is current data, and that is positive, let's hope it continues.

If the government and nphet aren't continually made to justify every day of additional restrictions, they will keep to an overly conservative position that will do a lot of harm.

Tony's latest stance is to get the numbers as low as possible. This level 5 was accepted I think on the basis that Christmas would be somewhat normal after it. But already we're hearing how foreign travel advice won't be relaxed. We could still be in a position where things still aren't where they want them to be before loosening on 5k, visitors etc over Christmas.

1000 cases today would be equal to maybe 150-200 in April at the most, probably less.

Advertisement