Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭paddysdream

odyssey06 wrote: »
    You are skipping some details yourself there.
    They were digging more such graves in New York because there were 5 times more people than normal in need of burial in the city paupers plot.

Similarly in Bergamo demand for crematoriums and burials was running at multiples of normal levels.

Like I said,more people dying in a short space of time but over even 1/2 years will the average death rate be any different ?
    A few died before their time,whatever that might be but was that a week, a month or a year before?
    Most assuredly 99.99% of those who died from Covid would have been dead before next March from something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,963 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Like I said,more people dying in a short space of time but over even 1/2 years will the average death rate be any different ?
    A few died before their time,whatever that might be but was that a week, a month or a year before?
    Most assuredly 99.99% of those who died from Covid would have been dead before next March from something else.

Most assuredly?

The highest demographic for ICU admissions here was 55-64.

20 percent of US deaths were under 65.

If you think this is only a threat to 80+ people already at deaths door you are wrong.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Most assuredly?

The highest demographic for ICU admissions here was 55-64.

20 percent of US deaths were under 65.

If you think this is only a threat to 80+ people already at deaths door you are wrong.

Whats the median age of dying from Covid 19 in Ireland ?
    Think its 80 plus but someone might know the exact answer but its most assuredly not 60.

Despite the constant media narrative its those that are 80 plus and in poor health that are in most danger.Any illness that you need a test to perhaps tell you that you have/have had it hmmm.

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2020/10/21/wonder-woman-ciss-beats-covid-19-and-celebrates-100-years/?fbclid=IwAR3q8WWq7U9jpYqOrrmaMdOVkZyaxLecJyryHyEOf1Youv1Gs847HZ5WFNg

Not a bother on her.

We are in Ireland not USA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Ultimately it should cost pennies to build icu capacity and bed numbers compared to lockdown.
    It just doesn't make sense why we haven't done it

This X 1000.

We have spent €25,000,000,000 of borrowed money on this since March - mostly on paying people to stay at home.

Thats over €25,000 for every household in the country!
    - feckit we could have sent every Covid-vulnerable person to their own private hospital in the Carribean for that money and still had change left to fly their families out to see them.

And after all that money, theres still no strategy in place to protect the nursing homes.

Go figure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Whats the median age of dying from Covid 19 in Ireland ?
    Think its 80 plus but someone might know the exact answer but its most assuredly not 60.

Despite the constant media narrative its those that are 80 plus and in poor health that are in most danger.Any illness that you need a test to perhaps tell you that you have/have had it hmmm.

https://carlow-nationalist.ie/2020/10/21/wonder-woman-ciss-beats-covid-19-and-celebrates-100-years/?fbclid=IwAR3q8WWq7U9jpYqOrrmaMdOVkZyaxLecJyryHyEOf1Youv1Gs847HZ5WFNg

Not a bother on her.

Its actually "late eighties" according to Ronan Glynn.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40057658.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

What difference does that make? It's the same virus.
    Back in February people were saying we are in Ireland not Wuhan... how did that work out?

If it has the capacity to kill large numbers of under 80s in the USA it can do the same here if we don't keep the cases down to a level our health service can cope with. So it can be there to treat those who get a severe dose of it. And that's not just over 80s.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Shadow Dancer

Even a severe dose of it will most likely not kill a lot of people.
    Again,worry about Ireland not the USA .
    Making my point again ie covid is not gonna kill many and its the fear of the health service not being able to cope with anything out of the ordinary that has hse etc in a tizzy.

Lets be realistic here.How many healthy under 80's have died with this in Ireland?
    Personally know of none but know loads that had it and never knew till they were tested.Take for instance the people in the link i posted earlier.All had it but none knew till tested

Even a severe dose of it will most likely not kill a lot of people. Again,worry about Ireland not the USA .
    Making my point again ie covid is not gonna kill many and its the fear of the health service not being able to cope with anything out of the ordinary that has hse etc in a tizzy. Lets be realistic here.How many healthy under 80's have died with this in Ireland?

Why does it matter whether they were healthy or not?
    Do we only have a health service to treat the healthy and young?
    Worry about Ireland eh, but don't give a damn about the vulnerable?
    People under 80 with vulnerable conditions could expect to live for decades more with medication to manage their conditions.
    They are the ones who make up the majority of our ICU admissions, especially the 55-64 bracket.

This is not some HSE 'tizzy',
    Countries across the continent are evaluating how their hospital systems will cope with rapidly increasing patient numbers amid the pandemic’s second wave. France and Switzerland’s intensive care facilities may reach capacity by mid-November with Germany’s stretching to December. The Swiss city of Geneva has already begun airlifting patients to quieter regions, as Belgian officials consider how to decide who most needs a bed despite doubling its ICU capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

This pandemic is having a strange effect on people herself is planning a family trip to Australia 2022 for 6 weeks wiping out our entire savings and talking about flying Business class stopping off in newyork for a couple of nights, is there any help line I can ring .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

kerryjack wrote: »
    This pandemic is having a strange effect on people herself is planning a family trip to Australia 2022 for 6 weeks wiping out our entire savings and talking about flying Business class stopping off in newyork for a couple of nights, is there any help line I can ring .

If you're going to Australia, fly business class. other wise it's a misery. Airline food sickens me and usually eat before I fly, I had to eat it on a 23hr flight and I won't forget it for a while.

If you're old enough to have grown up family in austrelia, go with her as well and spend their inheritance

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Why does it matter whether they were healthy or not?
    Do we only have a health service to treat the healthy and young?
    Worry about Ireland eh, but don't give a damn about the vulnerable?
    People under 80 with vulnerable conditions could expect to live for decades more with medication to manage their conditions.
    They are the ones who make up the majority of our ICU admissions, especially the 55-64 bracket.

This is not some HSE 'tizzy',
    Countries across the continent are evaluating how their hospital systems will cope with rapidly increasing patient numbers amid the pandemic’s second wave. France and Switzerland’s intensive care facilities may reach capacity by mid-November with Germany’s stretching to December. The Swiss city of Geneva has already begun airlifting patients to quieter regions, as Belgian officials consider how to decide who most needs a bed despite doubling its ICU capacity.

That's the issue in modern western society, to many people with serious underlying health conditions are living for decades more than they would without all the pills and medical interventions we have today, combined with sky-rocketing obesity levels and in general populations of people eating highly processed crap diets and doing little to no exercise, it allowed a disease like covid 19 to spread and become rampant with the accompanying death rates....
    With the exception of south Africa, which as a case study is alot more westernized than any other African country the virus has been a non-event on that continent with a recorded 1.5 million cases and a death toll of 37000 out of a combined population of over a billion people, unless a very effective vaccine is created our the virus mutates into something more like the common cold, western society will disintegrate all down to the fact a large % of its populations are highly susceptible to the disease, and governments for how ever long the likes of the ecb continue propping up economies like ourselves with massive loans will keep rolling lockdowns going to appease large parts of the population who find it unacceptable that the virus is let run its course and burn itself out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

wrangler wrote: »
    If you're going to Australia, fly business class. other wise it's a misery. Airline food sickens me and usually eat before I fly, I had to eat it on a 23hr flight and I won't forget it for a while.

If you're old enough to have grown up family in austrelia, go with her as well and spend their inheritance

A bit tone deaf- family trip and everyone fly business class...if things were that easy....

And only because of Airline food? As a regular flyer airline food isn't bad at all. There are a few suspect smaller airlines but the long hauls are quite decent for choice and cuisine. Service during the flight is more accommodating on long haul, especially for families.

Suckler wrote: »
    A bit tone deaf- family trip and everyone fly business class...if things were that easy....

And only because of Airline food? As a regular flyer airline food isn't bad at all. There are a few suspect smaller airlines but the long hauls are quite decent for choice and cuisine. Service during the flight is more accommodating on long haul, especially for families.

I didn't sleep either and plenty children round me didn't sleep either, until you're sitting beside one of them you'll know what I'm talking about. Some parents make no effort
    Lucky you if your children travel as if they're sedated

• Registered Users Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭alps

Get to the airport early. Ask to use the premier lounge (worth the few quid) and then show an "appreciation" if they can seat you at an exit, bulkhead or if all else fails, an aisle seat. They can reserve you a seat on all your flights through to Australia..

alps wrote: »
    Get to the airport early. Ask to use the premier lounge (worth the few quid) and then show an "appreciation" if they can seat you at an exit, bulkhead or if all else fails, an aisle seat. They can reserve you a seat on all your flights through to Australia..

We flew Emirates, I didn't see any premier lounge just business class and I think there was apartment type places upstairs

In fairness the idea of it has cheered her up a bit and given us something to look forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

In fairness the idea of it has cheered her up a bit and given us something to look forward to it.

I think this is important. Keep making plans as you would do normally. Too easy to just get stuck in the present tbh.

That said the foreign holidays we took last year seem like they happened in a different century.

Edit: Btw funny you should talk of Australia tbh. Have relatives in Rockdale in Sydney who wanted us to come out there this year. Not likely to happen for God knowsxwhen tbf.

Ya I am expecting a massive boom in the economy as soon as we get a vaccine and get rid of this thing probably be next summer. People will go out spending money like no tomorrow and yes there is plenty money about waiting to get spent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

I didn't sleep either and plenty children round me didn't sleep either, until you're sitting beside one of them you'll know what I'm talking about. Some parents make no effort
    Lucky you if your children travel as if they're sedated

Sure they'd be best to get themselves a private jet altogether. :rolleyes:

Suckler wrote: »
    Sure they'd be best to get themselves a private jet altogether. :rolleyes:

Some little pups would need it alright, they're living with them long enough to know how they'll react to 23 hrs on a plane.

Ya I am expecting a massive boom in the economy as soon as we get a vaccine and get rid of this thing probably be next summer. People will go out spending money like no tomorrow and yes there is plenty money about waiting to get spent.

You must be rolling in it if your planning six week holiday when plenty are trying to get through the next six weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

jaymla627 wrote: »
    That's the issue in modern western society, to many people with serious underlying health conditions are living for decades more than they would without all the pills and medical interventions we have today, combined with sky-rocketing obesity levels and in general populations of people eating highly processed crap diets and doing little to no exercise, it allowed a disease like covid 19 to spread and become rampant with the accompanying death rates....
    With the exception of south Africa, which as a case study is alot more westernized than any other African country the virus has been a non-event on that continent with a recorded 1.5 million cases and a death toll of 37000 out of a combined population of over a billion people, unless a very effective vaccine is created our the virus mutates into something more like the common cold, western society will disintegrate all down to the fact a large % of its populations are highly susceptible to the disease, and governments for how ever long the likes of the ecb continue propping up economies like ourselves with massive loans will keep rolling lockdowns going to appease large parts of the population who find it unacceptable that the virus is let run its course and burn itself out
    There's a few reasons SA hasn't been as badly affected as European countries. One would be the much younger age profile there so much less of a 60yo+ population to be effected and another the fact that health care is much poorer than we have here so many of the vulnerable and poorer would have died at a much earlier stage than here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's a few reasons SA hasn't been as badly affected as European countries. One would be the much younger age profile there so much less of a 60yo+ population to be effected and another the fact that health care is much poorer than we have here so many of the vulnerable and poorer would have died at a much earlier stage than here.

And perhaps they just have more immunity to coronavirus like children do.
    In that I mean three and four generations all live together so there's more of a constant of coronavirus all among the different age groups.
    We're not as advanced in western society as we think we are.

And perhaps they just have more immunity to coronavirus like children do.
    In that I mean three and four generations all live together so there's more of a constant of coronavirus all among the different age groups.
    We're not as advanced in western society as we think we are.

What that has to do with the level of advancement of a society escapes me.
    In western society, BAME communities, which are more likely to have multi-generational households, were harder hit.
    Whereas Sweden, with one of the highest rates of single dwellings, and low population density, has fared rather better than might be expected from its laxer restrictions versus other EU countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What that has to do with the level of advancement of a society escapes me.
    In western society, BAME communities, which are more likely to have multi-generational households, were harder hit.
    Whereas Sweden, with one of the highest rates of single dwellings, and low population density, has fared rather better than might be expected from its laxer restrictions versus other EU countries.

I had to Google BAME.
    Why can't you just post Black, Asian, Minority and Ethnic?
    There's no tax on letters here.

Anyway .. good to hear of some people faring out alright from Covid 19.

There'll be someone along in a few minutes no doubt to say Sweden was a disaster.

I had to Google BAME.
    Why can't you just post Black, Asian, Minority and Ethnic?
    There's no tax on letters here.
    Anyway .. good to hear of some people faring out alright from Covid 19.
    There'll be someone along in a few minutes no doubt to say Sweden was a disaster.

You learn a new thing every day :)
    I had to google it first time too, now I start to notice it more and more.

I think things were worse in Sweden than they needed to be, but given the risks they ran had it been tried in a different profile country I think it would have been a much greater disaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Belgian health care system only 10 days from collapse.
    https://twitter.com/kakape/status/1323196183578316800?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Some little pups would need it alright, they're living with them long enough to know how they'll react to 23 hrs on a plane.

You would know the parents who dont look after their own kids in normal time when you're on a flight. But at the end of the day flights are stressful for everyone and it's not the kids fault. We sat on a plane on the tarmac in Heathrow for 4 hours with 2 kids under 3. It was not a nice experience.

Advertisement