Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Pandemic Information- Local and Worldwide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    I would be hopeful for us. Hong Kong has kept the numbers down, despite being a very dense city. Their main problem now is people coming into the country.

I'm not. No doubt there's other accounts all over the country. But around here there was one about a teacher who was back teaching for a month in a school and then tested positive. She was holidaying in italy before going back teaching. Never displayed any symptoms. But could still have been spreading it.
    The government's own advice was not to get tested unless displaying symptoms.
    It has to be well spread all over the country by now before these restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It will certainly increase, a lot over the next number of weeks. Our social distancing also has only started recently.
    There is a graphic on CNN showing Baltmore v St Louis in the 1919 Spanish Flu.
    St Louis used strong sanitary rules and the result was dramatic. The peak death rate of St Louis was 20% of Baltimore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    After all my work with my parents they went to my sister's house for dinner today. My niece not long back from france. I didnt know they were going until my sister posted a what's app photo. The rest of us are all livid. How do you get the message through. I'm not blaming my parents but my sister and her stupid husband should know better :mad:

Some people don't care,and won't care until friends die or go down around them. .You're best to look after your own, inside your own gate.
    I'm sure you've warned them, you can do no more

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just read on another forum one of the posters sister has died from coronavirus yesterday. She had under lying health issues. God love the family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭endainoz

Mooooo wrote: »
    The problem is if too many people get it st the same time more will die as services won't manage.
    If you had a pen of calves got scour you may have no losses, if every calf in the place got scour and new ones landing into the environment you would be under more pressure and likely to have more losses. Anyone that's dealt with crypto would know that the UK way is risky. Herd immunity is fine if exposure is controlled , this isnt

It's also important to note that there is absolutely zero information that herd immunity works at all. Very silly strategy that they will do a u turn on very soon I think.

Here is another antiviral drug from Japan that looks promising. Needs to be given early IWT from reading.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/18/japanese-flu-drug-clearly-effective-in-treating-coronavirus-says-china

Bord bia inspection still going ahead....

The lack of action in the UK and NI is astounding. Firstly the pupil with symptoms in the school in Derry won't be tested for Covid 19 unless they end up in hospital, and secondly the school won't be allowed close.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/derry-school-with-suspected-case-of-covid-19-not-allowed-to-close-1.4205388

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mod note: Just got this, folks, read the damn thing and get your sh!te sorted TODAY for as long as you can.
    Hi Buford,
    I feel obliged to inform you on the state of play here.

The **** has hit the fan.
    They waited too long to go total lockdown and now things are quickly deteriorating.
    Just this morning I’ve a puncture that won’t be repaired, a pulsation problem in the milking machine, a bust hydraulic pipe, and need antibiotics for eye problems in a few cows...and the hassle involved to get it sorted. I’ll get the antibiotics this evening but the other problems will have to wait...until God knows when.

I’ve been ringing relatives and friends to tell them how bad this is going to get, and to isolate immediately. Not one took me seriously!
    You are a respected mod, use it please to raise awareness!!!!!!!

We’ve been notified that if Ag is shown to help spread the virus, it will be locked down.

Proper self-isolation is our last hope. People NEED to know this and act immediately.
    I know you’ve an underlying health issue so please take care.

In my lifetime I’ve never witnessed such a game changer. Things won’t ever be the same again. Max, a former employee in his twenties, is only hanging on by a thread. His mother got the virus last night and when the ambulance called they left her at home saying that she’s better off there...triage at the home. Sad.

Please get the message across Buford.
    I cannot emphasize this enough.
    Lookit, this is a serious PM, get yourselves sorted and sit this out inside your own gates and don't leave until you really, really, really have to!

• Advertisement

That is scary. Dropping one of the kids to the track there. He's running alone. A couple of groups out mixing together. This is not the summer holidays. I dont know what can be done to get the message across.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Relative here has the symptoms. He's waiting to get tested. Came off a US flight last week. Thankfully, we're not really on talking terms and he hasn't been near this house in ages. :rolleyes:
    It's starting to get very real now.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Relative here has the symptoms. He's waiting to get tested. Came off a US flight last week. Tankfully, we're not really on talking terms and he hasn't been near this house in ages. :rolleyes:
    It's starting to get very real now.

It's only when there's a case in someone's own area that people will take it seriously. Other than that, most people seem to think it's just something on the telly or in Dublin/Cork/Limerick/Galway, or at least in some other part of the country.

I've to get meal tomorrow in local merchant but after that I should be OK for a few weeks, if not months.

I'll be ringing ahead, asking them to leave what I need outside, and paying over the phone. In fairness, us farmers are lucky as we can better manage like this than everyone else who has to go into supermarkets, chemists, etc.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Some chemists are operating the same. Staff bring stuff out to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Tap and pay has been increased to €50 today due to the cv.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The lack of action in the UK and NI is astounding. Firstly the pupil with symptoms in the school in Derry won't be tested for Covid 19 unless they end up in hospital, and secondly the school won't be allowed close.
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/derry-school-with-suspected-case-of-covid-19-not-allowed-to-close-1.4205388
    I can't understand why the island of Ireland wasn't treated as a single area like it was when we had foot and mouth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭djmc

I wrote a bit about this a few days back after watching videos of people partying in pubs around the country and in my local town
    https://blackfieldfarm.com/why-you-should-avoid-covid-19/ It puts the numbers into some perspective if you have time to give a read.
    I heard for instance that kerry hospital has only 8 ICU beds.
    We don't have enough beds or ventilators or staff to deal with this virus so avoid it like the plague for as long as you can.
    The good news is people are taking it more serious over the last 2 days and the government is being honest about it while not trying to cause widespread panic.
    I have high blood pressure and my wife has asthma they are underlying health conditions so its not just old people that will need medical care. I think the UK will be hit hard next month but its important here that we don't think that there is no threat just because we cant yet see it.
    One last thing for lads to consider is the recovery time and how long people will be in hospital needing care

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Base price wrote: »
    I can't understand why the island of Ireland wasn't treated as a single area like it was when we had foot and mouth.

Because unionists would prefer die than do different than the rest of the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 22,280 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Mod note: Just got this, folks, read the damn thing and get your sh!te sorted TODAY for as long as you can.

Lookit, this is a serious PM, get yourselves sorted and sit this out inside your own gates and don't leave until you really, really, really have to!
    Is the person who PMed you in Ireland?

This extract would seem to indicate they are not:

"Max, a former employee in his twenties, is only hanging on by a thread. His mother got the virus last night and when the ambulance called they left her at home saying that she’s better off there...triage at the home."

Things are going to get worse, much worse - we all know that, but we are a fair bit away from the above yet.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Not much funding coming from Europe, they are giving it to banks all right and they are supposed to dish it out to us,

Esel wrote: »
    Is the person who PMed you in Ireland?

This extract would seem to indicate they are not:

"Max, a former employee in his twenties, is only hanging on by a thread. His mother got the virus last night and when the ambulance called they left her at home saying that she’s better off there...triage at the home."

Things are going to get worse, much worse - we all know that, but we are a fair bit away from the above yet.

He's based in France and their control measures are well ahead of ours.

As someone else put it, in a couple of weeks time we won't know if we were too early taking action but we sure as hell will know if we were too late.

With the stats for Cork being 48 out of 271, this reflects the fact that the initial community positives were in Cork. Cork is ahead of the rest of the country by a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

With the stats for Cork being 48 out of 271, this reflects the fact that the initial community positives were in Cork. Cork is ahead of the rest of the country by a week or two.

Where can you see a county break down?

https://www.thejournal.ie/how-many-coronavirus-cases-in-ireland-5049675-Mar2020/

On The Journal, thought the figures down here would be high. Found out today a relation had been isolated and tested very early on. Had contact with one of the first positives. He was fine, HSE were onto his house to test him in less than an hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Because unionists would prefer die than do different than the rest of the UK

At the joint meeting every time Leo said this virus sees and obeys no borders Arlene looked like she was coming out in a cold sweat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

He's based in France and their control measures are well ahead of ours.

As someone else put it, in a couple of weeks time we won't know if we were too early taking action but we sure as hell will know if we were too late.

what control measures did France have before their lockdown?

Our profile seems a bit different, maybe nearer to Germany's.
    31% of positives are admitted to hospital.
    7% of those hospitalised needed ICU.
    That means about 2% of positives needed ICU.

The profile may be because 66% of those positive are under 55 years of age.

CDC breakdown of Coronavirus infections.
    https://twitter.com/cadiulus/status/1240430142377406465?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

https://twitter.com/tancredipalmeri/status/1240414011608444929?s=20

Italian military transporting coffins for cremation.

Advertisement